• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
"The 3% tax will be levied on sales generated in France by multinational firms like Google and Facebook.
The French government has argued that such firms headquartered outside the country pay little or no tax.
The US administration has ordered an inquiry into the move - which could result in retaliatory tariffs."

"France has long argued that taxes should be based on digital, not just physical presence. It announced its own tax on big technology firms last year after EU-wide efforts stalled."

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, tax the shit out of these behemoths sucking up everything everywhere. Too bad they'll figure out how to either overturn this decision or get tax rebates for 4% or whatever because that's how these fuckers operate.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, Spain was hoping to pass a similar law, but the EU (well, Ireland, Denmark, Finland and some other only) throwed it to the ground, I thought.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand it's good to get some money back from these companies making money off your citizens.

On the other hand, it'll either directly or indirectly promote the kind of toll booths that Net Neutrality advocates are against.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
A good start. We should also acknowledge the good decisions of our government whenever that happens.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
TinyDismalDungbeetle-max-1mb.gif

It seems to me that France will be isolated in this operation. Now, it's a good thing to counter the "Gafa" companies. In addition, it should also be added that this law is temporary.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Good move but the issue is not every country can do this 3% X every country= ?
Still every country should get like .5% or a share of traffic whatever

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Interesting, Spain was hoping to pass a similar law, but the EU (well, Ireland, Denmark, Finland and some other only) throwed it to the ground, I thought.
The EU should finally bring the hammer down on these little shits and end their tax haven status. There should be no tax havens whatsoever in the EU.

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
I work in Tech as a Director of Talent.....we have ruined a lot of the world to be completely honest.

AirBnB is a huge reason why housing in most Metro cities are out pricing residents. We seriously need more regulations, taxes and accountability in the industry.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Nice to know that not only is the US more than happy to have em pay no taxes, they will also flex their soft power to make sure they pay no taxes anywhere else in the world

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
The entire EU should get behind this, not just France.
The EU should finally bring the hammer down on these little shits and end their tax haven status. There should be no tax havens whatsoever in the EU.

So, this proposal was on the table of the EU over the past few years. However, taxation matters require unanimity between all the Member States. Several of them, such as Denmark and Ireland, and others, objected in favour of finding a solution at the international/OECD level. This was partially to avoid international conflict and tariff wars with the USA, partially because of, well, their own budgetary considerations. While negotiations are still on-going at the OECD, France has now adopted this on its own. The UK has tabled something similar. I expect other EU countries to follow, but they might wait and see how it goes with the French law and possible retalliation by USA.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
They should tax more and every country should follow suit, it is ridiculous that so few companies are allowed to run amok this side of the globe

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Good. Fuck megacorps that essentially act as political forces