• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
top 20 is physical only, and if you read the report, 54% of the console software sold is now digital only (that's much more than I thought, +67% vs 2017). I don't think this could completely change the top 20, but would certainly impact Nintendo positions in top sellers.

Get_crazy

Oct 28, 2017
What's that medal? Did he win some award in France?
Did some quick research (because I'm curious) and he got the medal in 2006, along with Michel Ancel (Rayman, Beyond Good & Evil) and Frédérick Raynal (Alone in the Dark).

e775bf9633af855aafde02ea095b0e31.jpg

Get_crazy

Oct 28, 2017
Additional numbers for physical sales (including LTD numbers)

Dz1y3BFWwAEosEj.jpg:large

GTA 5 sold more than 4 million units LTD (physical only fyi) in France.

Source

OP
OP
Zedark

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
top 20 is physical only, and if you read the report, 54% of the console software sold is now digital only (that's much more than I thought, +67% vs 2017). I don't think this could completely change the top 20, but would certainly impact Nintendo positions in top sellers.
Does that 54% consist of only full game downloads or total revenue?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed.MS really needs to be looking at these numbers and thinking, "How do we win mind-share and get people to take us seriously". The old take that Nintendo owners usually are second console owners would be of great benefit to MS right now. They are not going to catch Playstation now but they really do need to be viewed as an option in the market.
It's always been this way, even during the 360 days, no matter how strong MS are, France isn't a market for them.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I love how Fifa and RDR2 dwarf everything else. Surprised there was a X1 game in there though.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
EA should have released a Fifa 19 special world Cup edition. It would have sold even more there, even if all they did was to change the cover.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
Does that 54% consist of only full game downloads or total revenue?

the report isn't clear about that. It's only "console software digital". So my guess is that it's everything mixed from full games to DLC and other paid cosmetics. Even all included I wouldn't bet on digital being the majority as we certainly have the highest prices in EU for anything downloaded on console. PSN and Xbox live FR are often the most expensive marketplaces in the world and 20 to 30% more expensive than the same game found in retail or AMZ (and I know a lot of xbox gamers using exotic stores to by digitaly at a cheaper price...).

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
It's always been this way, even during the 360 days, no matter how strong MS are, France isn't a market for them.
I don't have the numbers in mind but I remember being surprised by the 360's performance in France back then. They were behind, obviously, but not by as much as I would have thought. They were nowhere near as irrelevant as they are now.
So Microsoft could still be a solid third pillar in France and other similar markets. Their margin of error is just much smaller than it is for Nintendo and Sony, they can't afford any blunders like the Xbox One launch.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I don't have the numbers in mind but I remember being surprised by the 360's performance in France back then. They were behind, obviously, but not by as much as I would have thought. They were nowhere near as irrelevant as they are now.
So Microsoft could still be a solid third pillar in France and other similar markets. Their margin of error is just much smaller than it is for Nintendo and Sony, they can't afford any blunders like the Xbox One launch.

I am french and I know many people buying 360 because PS3 was 599 euros.

If Sony sold a console at a reasonable price 399 euros it is the first choice before Xbox. MS need to do better than Sony to be a choice out the Xbox dans if Halo or Gears of War.

Edit: Out of US and UK Playstation is a much better brand than Xbox. There brand and price are more important than power.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
More than 10% of FIFA sales were on Switch—a pretty good performance. Also, incredible increase YOY.

DK also did really well.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Surprised by Monster Hunter's absence. And being a French game and all that, I'd expected to at least see Detroit on the lowest part of the top. Somehow, it did much better in Japan/Asia than its own country.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France

If Sony sold a console at a reasonable price 399 euros it is the first choice before Xbox. MS need to do better than Sony to be a choice out the Xbox dans if Halo or Gears of War.
Yeah, I'm one of those people!
Didn't buy a PS3 until like 2011 or something.
And yeah, I agree. Microsoft CAN be a contender but they need to be firing on all cylinders, the other manufacturers have much more leeway for eventual fuck-ups.

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If Sony sold a console at a reasonable price 399 euros it is the first choice before Xbox. MS need to do better than Sony to be a choice out the Xbox dans if Halo or Gears of War..
I'm from Estonia, but I'm sure it was pretty much the same all over Europe. I remember cheapest Xbox 360 models (Core/Arcade) being available in summer 2006 for half the price of the cheapest PS3 was at launch, more than 8 months later.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I love how France is a mix of Japan (Nintendomination and "what is a Xbox?") and USA (AAA western IP selling gangbusters)

Only Xbox 360 sold well here. I'm french and I remember all my friends having a 360 back then because they could play pirated games on it but that's it.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
BOTW Wii U chugging along with 8,090 units.

If the France:WW ratio for the Switch version is the same as the Wii U version, it should have shipped ~150K in 2018 on the Wii

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised by Monster Hunter's absence. And being a French game and all that, I'd expected to at least see Detroit on the lowest part of the top. Somehow, it did much better in Japan/Asia than its own country.
Monster Hunter World and Dragon Quest XI are games that i could have seen charting....at least with DQ, the Switch version might be the reason why it didnt chart higher.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I also don't think that there is something inherently "french" about Ubisoft games, I always think of them as a global player. EA has FIFA which is just bigger as ACreed and FarCry combined in France (Europe?).

On a related note: Where is Battlefield V?

Really? i mean of course they are a global company at this point with studios everywhere, but at its core Ubisoft is still a french company and i've always thought things like the long relationship with Nintendo was because they are both big players in France.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I also don't think that there is something inherently "french" about Ubisoft games, I always think of them as a global player. EA has FIFA which is just bigger as ACreed and FarCry combined in France (Europe?).

On a related note: Where is Battlefield V?

While BF V obviously bombed I think with digital it would chart. it still has big audience on PC too (digital only platform) which makes total digital share probably way beyond 50%.

Monster Hunter World and Dragon Quest XI are games that i could have seen charting....at least with DQ, the Switch version might be the reason why it didnt chart higher.

I would think that MH probably had pretty high digital share. Especially as it was popular on PC too.

OP
OP
Zedark

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I would think that MH probably had pretty high digital share. Especially as it was popular on PC too.
Hmm, is there a reason why MHW would be more digital-heavy than the average?

PC is a fair reason, but the game sold over 7M before PC released, so it's still surprising to me.

Edit: googled the exact number, and it was 8.3M just before the PC version released.

Last edited:

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Welcome to Europe, where XBox as a brand is damaged beyond repair (maybe). Puts all these news and threads about XBox winning next gen into perspective. US+UK is not the world.
I wouldn't say Xbox is a damaged brand in Europe, but more that it never really took off. All the good things Xbox is apparently doing has never even been on peoples radar.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
Really? i mean of course they are a global company at this point with studios everywhere, but at its core Ubisoft is still a french company and i've always thought things like the long relationship with Nintendo was because they are both big players in France.

To clarify: I meant the games they develop/publish and not the company itself. I agree with your post here.

Last edited:

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't say Xbox is a damaged brand in Europe, but more that it never really took off. All the good things Xbox is apparently doing has never even been on peoples radar.
Well I guess you could say it never really took off but their messaging at the start of this gen made them a laughing stock for many people. Promoting all that US TV stuff made me feel embarassed for them.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, is there a reason why MHW would be more digital-heavy than the average?

PC is a fair reason, but the game sold over 7M before PC released, so it's still surprising to me.

Edit: googled the exact number, and it was 8.3M just before the PC version released.

Maybe In was thinking because how high digital sales it had in Japan (might have been because of shortages though) that it would be the case elsewhere too. Well at least after PC release I would say that the average digital ratio for it is higher than for most games on that list.

OP
OP
Zedark

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Maybe In was thinking because how high digital sales it had in Japan (might have been because of shortages though) that it would be the case elsewhere too. Well at least after PC release I would say that the average digital ratio for it is higher than for most games on that list.
Japan had an elevated digital share because it was sold out during its first week. I don't think the same happened in France (but I don't know for sure).