• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I'm surprised there isn't more talks about the events here in France.

It has been 3 weeks that people from a large scope of age and social classes have been blocking roads and take different actions (free highway, blocking supermarkets...). The origin of the protest was the sentiment of loss of purchase power as emblematic taxes on gasoline were announced, justified by the government by the climate urgency. This a really heterogenous movement without any clear leader, which makes the negociations really difficult.

The government were probably hoping that the protests would not last, but they kinda lost their bet, as each new saturday brought more violent movements in the street of Paris and some other places in the country. A lot of observers used of the term of "insurection" when describing the scenes of last saturday in Paris , see this thread.

Now more and more people are joining the protestation (high schoolers, students, truck drivers, railroad sector, agricultors) and, despite the fact that the government made some concessions (supension of some taxes, organisations of talks to change the fiscality system), people seem more and more angry at the person of the president and are asking for his demission. There is also the fear of a more radicalized, violent movement and the casualties that could happen potentially if the events of last saturday were to repeat themselves...

All in all, France is going through a major political crisis at the moment, and the issue is totally uncertain...

(sorry for the bad english, I'm obviously French)

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Been seeing things on the TV. Looks absolutely crazy with the fires and wreckage and burns cars... but i'm not knowledgeable enough to understand the political realities of France and whether the sentiments of revolt actually reflect the economy or the lives of the people.

I have family in France, though none in the cities i've seen in TV. Things are looking grim.

Holden

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this shit is really worrying me, I wonder if this is by product of having 5 different parties trying to control the executive branch, then after the one wins the other four teams up and bashes the government non-stop

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
This is an American centric forum so anything that happens outside of the USA doesn't matter... (brexit being an exception).

But yeah ... Macron is done.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
So this is basically what if May '68 was latently fascist instead of communist?

Sounds like a bad fucking deal.

French culture has a long history of faux-revolutionary countercultural protest movements that make a lot of noise but often result in little. That being said, this is a scary and unruly situation and anyone who thinks that this movement is uniformly leftist and anti-neoliberal is deluding themselves. There's definite fash presence in that crowd and even though Macron sucks ass, the American left should be cautious in endorsing what's happening here.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Crazy this thread didn't get made earlier. This seems pretty big for France and Macron.

Sep 26, 2018
Macron came into power. In a very short period of of time, he cancelled taxes for the very wealthy people, rise privileges for members of government... He add taxes for retired people, cut aid for students housing... And he regularly insulted the people he is supposed to serve. He calls poor people "teethless" he said unemployed are nothing and even insulted us in speeches he made abroad.
And now, I have never seen such a hatred. It's too late for Macron I think.

OP
OP
Herb Alpert

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Though I'm really reserved about some aspects of the movement, I don't think "fascist" is a right way to describe it.

There are right wing assholes in it (some dudes even denounced hidden migrants near the border), there are selfish people that just don't want to pay any taxes, there are anarchists that just want to watch the world burn but there is also a lot of people that just can't finish the month with their pay, as salaries havent rised for the last 2 decades in france while everything else has.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, doing some research Macron's approval rating is as low as Hollande's at his lowest. I'd say that's a hint that it's probably not just the individual candidates that are the problem, but rather something much closer to the core.

OP
OP
Herb Alpert

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Does Macron suck so much that he deserves this?

It's complex.
He made a lot of communication mistakes, sent some really wrong signals (cuting taxes for the rich while raising them for the poor) and is perceived as contemptuous and not caring for the poorest classes. He's essentially a neo liberal and France hasn't this culture at all.

anthro

Oct 28, 2017
So this is basically what if May '68 was latently fascist instead of communist?

Sounds like a bad fucking deal.

French culture has a long history of faux-revolutionary countercultural protest movements that make a lot of noise but often result in little. That being said, this is a scary and unruly situation and anyone who thinks that this movement is uniformly leftist and anti-neoliberal is deluding themselves. There's definite fash presence in that crowd and even though Macron sucks ass, the American left should be cautious in endorsing what's happening here.

It seems like it has become a broad condemnation of Macron. I don't know if it can be characterized as specifically fascist, even though they're there. There was that street brawl on Saturday (I think) where some dude associated with the fascists got his ass kicked by other yellow vests, for instance.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Macron came into power. In a very short period of of time, he cancelled taxes for the very wealthy people, rise privileges for members of government... He add taxes for retired people, cut aid for students housing... And he regularly insulted the people he is supposed to serve. He calls poor people "teethless" he said unemployed are nothing and even insulted us in speeches he made abroad.
And now, I have never seen such a hatred. It's too late for Macron I think.

basically. he was a "centrist" that has basically sanctioned extreme state austerity and not for any public good either, just to funnel it to pro business initiatives while cutting taxes on the rich upper class and raising it on the lower classes.

You cant call these protests unjustified at all

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
This forum is the only place I see painting it as a "fascist" movement, when basically every other news outlet is saying that the far-right element is just a preexisting movement that's trying to latch on to the spontaneous anger (same as the far left elements).

This movement above else indicates people are pissed. The French abide no fools in their government.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This forum is the only place I see painting it as a "fascist" movement, when basically every other news outlet is saying that the far-right element is just a preexisting movement that's trying to latch on to the spontaneous anger (same as the far left elements).

This movement above else indicates people are pissed. The French abide no fools in their government.

Indeed, everyone actually on the ground at these protests seem to be confused at this idea that this is somehow even tangentially fascist. Powerful politicians are trying to latch onto and use the anger but it's remained largely rudderless despite all that.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I always have this idea that this forum gives way too much relevance to voting over taking the streets to get shit done. In that sense this forum is very US minded.

In that sense, I would never take this place as "leftist" even though compared to other gaming forums that are complete cespools it is left leaning

WonkyPanda

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't the biggest story here the revolt against a carbon emissions tax, so to speak. Clearly, curbing emissions may not be the slam dunk politicians are looking for. I mean, things got dicey in CA with the gas tax, but it survived a referendum. I wonder how different France's tax is in comparison.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018

Alx

Oct 27, 2017
basically. he was a "centrist" that has basically sanctioned extreme state austerity and not for any public good either, just to funnel it to pro business initiatives while cutting taxes on the rich upper class and raising it on the lower classes.

He actually lowered some taxes for the lower and middle class too. But increased others, like tax on all incomes, or gas (although that one is now cancelled).
lhgIzX1.png

Net income increased for people with a job, decreased for retired people. Middle-class is supposed to be the general winner (although it's also the one carrying the yellow vest thing), plus those at the extreme high end of the spectrum that benefit from the change of the wealth tax.

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Right, NYT is reporting: "But what makes France's revolt different is that it has not followed the usual populist playbook. It is not tethered to a political party, let alone to a right-wing one. It is not focusing on race or migration, and those issues do not appear on the Yellow Vests' list of complaints. It is not led by a single fire-breathing leader. Nationalism is not on the agenda."

I'm not French but I never understood the appeal of Macron, was it just that he's not Le Pen? He's a rich guy who wants the government to serve the rich, just like Trump.

OP
OP
Herb Alpert

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I think that the anti tax aspect was at the start, but now ot cristallizes something more deep than just that, mainly the sentiment of "social downgrade", the middle class is slowly disappearing in France and this is it refusing to die.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
He actually lowered some taxes for the lower and middle class too. But increased others, like tax on all incomes, or gas (although that one is now cancelled).

Net income increased for people with a job, decreased for retired people. Middle-class is supposed to be the general winner (although it's also the one carrying the yellow vest thing), plus those at the end of the spectrum that benefit from the change of the wealth tax.

were there any high class taxes that were raised?

anthro

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't the biggest story here the revolt against a carbon emissions tax, so to speak. Clearly, curbing emissions may not be the slam dunk politicians are looking for. I mean, things got dicey in CA with the gas tax, but it survived a referendum. I wonder how different France's tax is in comparison.

The problem is that the French feel like it is one in a line of attacks Macron has levied against the low to middle class. They feel like Macron is giving layups to the rich while imposing austerity on everyone else.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Right, NYT is reporting: "But what makes France's revolt different is that it has not followed the usual populist playbook. It is not tethered to a political party, let alone to a right-wing one. It is not focusing on race or migration, and those issues do not appear on the Yellow Vests' list of complaints. It is not led by a single fire-breathing leader. Nationalism is not on the agenda."

I'm not French but I never understood the appeal of Macron, was it just that he's not Le Pen? He's a rich guy who wants the government to serve the rich, just like Trump.

From what I understand: he was a compromise candidate. The Left was in retreat after their previous Leftist president failed to deliver a lot of his promises, so rather than allow the resurgent right full control they sort of supported a centrist candidate as a compromise against the far right Le Pen.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
I always have this idea that this forum gives way too much relevance to voting over taking the streets to get shit done. In that sense this forum is very US minded.

In that sense, I would never take this place as "leftist" even though compared to other gaming forums that are complete cespools it is left leaning

agreed on all fronts, good post

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

You cant be saying that to the french, who massacres their elite regularly

The problem is that the French feel like it is one in a line of attacks Macron has levied against the low to middle class. They feel like Macron is giving layups to the rich while imposing austerity on everyone else.

a sentiment that has been building for a while can evolve into a dangerous thing. Its how trump won

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I never understood the support here for Macron. He is destroying dances middle and lower class for short term benefit of the rich. I'd be on the streets too if I was French.

Alx

Oct 27, 2017
were there any high class taxes that were raised?

The CSG has been raised, but it's a tax targeting all incomes. It includes income from patrimony and investments though, so it involves rich people too. On the other hand he reformed the wealth tax, that was a tax on ownership and not income. Its new version only targets real estate now, in an attempt to encourage investment in the industry.
Macron's focus is quite clear, he's trying to boost the working activity on the country. It's not about flattering the rich or crushing the poor, but stimulating the economy.

I never understood the support here for Macron. He is destroying dances middle and lower class for short term benefit of the rich. I'd be on the streets too if I was French.

Check the graph I posted and explain to me how the middle class is crushed...

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
In a sense, i can see why this was not about any individual tax or policy, but the general sentiment macron has been laying out with his agenda over a set period

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ

There weren't many other options in the last election: Mélenchon who is too left wing and populist for many people, Hamon who never had any chance since he was from the same party as the previous president, and Fillon who was corrupt as fuck and had a big scandal right before the election.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
https://www.cnews.fr/france/2018-12-05/la-liste-des-revendications-des-gilets-jaunes-801586

The movement of yellow vests brings together diverse profiles, French people of all political stripes and all ages, all over France. Initially launched to protest against rising fuel prices, the movement has aggregated many claims.
The spokespersons for the yellow vests sent the media and MPs a communiqué listing their requests. There are proposals in many areas, from the price of tolls through education, wages, or inheritance tax.

For anyone who was curious as to the specifics of the broader motivations, as I was. This woman did a tweet thread with a decent point by point translation:

Nov 20, 2017
Heart: You really do have to admire the way the French really go for it when someone tries to take their shit away

Head: You can't work like the French do in 2035 and still have pensions and a social net

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The CSG has been raised, but it's a tax targeting all incomes. It includes income from patrimony and investments though, so it involves rich people too. On the other hand he reformed the wealth tax, that was a tax on ownership and not income. Its new version only targets real estate now, in an attempt to encourage investment in the industry.
Macron's focus is quite clear, he's trying to boost the working activity on the country. It's not about flattering the rich or crushing the poor, but stimulating the economy.

But if the means he claims to want to stimulate the economy give rise to the sense of the lower classes that they are being maligned, it makes sense this happens, especially in a politically volatile place like france no?

Stellar

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Macron's neoliberal policies have been a complete disaster. People across the entire spectrum have been joining the protests. All the polls show the yellow vests have massive popular support in France.

In fact the farmers union just announced they are also going on strike soon.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's france baby, when they get to the streets politicians better fall in line they do not kid and take these uprisings seriously.

Alx

Oct 27, 2017
But if the means he claims to want to stimulate the economy give rise to the sense of the lower classes that they are being maligned, it makes sense this happens, especially in a politically volatile place like france no?

I guess so, the problem being that the frustration of the middle class is more a feeling than a fact.

I guess Macron will need to buy a red suit and a couple of reindeers...

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018

lol ok
They protest the shit out of thing though, I have to admit that. What Macron has been doing is not even close from Trump, and you see nothing close from those protests in the US.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
lol ok
They protest the shit out of thing though, I have to admit that. What Macron has been doing is not even close from Trump, and you see nothing close from those protests in the US.

We get pretty big numbers at some protests but the moment a business' window is cracked or someone's forehead is scratched about 80% of the American population would rally around the government and endorse violent suppression of the demonstrations.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Macron's neoliberal policies have been a complete disaster. People across the entire spectrum have been joining the protests. All the polls show the yellow vests have massive popular support in France.

In fact the farmers union just announced they are also going on strike soon.
I know its 2018, but you do NOT want the Agriculture sector to get involved, seriously don't fuck with em. Here in Greece when they get involved it results in month long shutdowns. I can only imagine what that would result in im France, considering they have 100x more gusto when it comes to protesting.

It's france baby, when they get to the streets politicians better fall in line they do not kid and take these uprisings seriously.
Hopefully. I don't condone burning a city to the ground, but it will hopefully send an international message that the masses still have the power to change the world when the rich get too bold.