• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017

I thought perhaps this was just something a branch store was doing, but it turns out it's a nationwide EVENT.
004OlRj.jpg

Helzberg Diamonds said:
*LIMITED TIME ONLY. Receive a Nintendo Switch™ system with your purchase of $1,199 or more. Games sold separately. Excludes care plans, repairs, appraisal services, and Helzberg Diamonds® gift cards. Cannot be combined with any other offer including military discount, student discount, watch discount, customer appreciation certificates, or credit card reissue offer. Offer has no cash value and cannot be used as a payment on account or for past purchases. Nintendo Switch is a trademark of Nintendo. Nintendo is not a participant in or sponsor of the promotion. Merchandise cannot be returned without the Nintendo Switch system in the original unopened package. Some restrictions apply. Offer valid while supplies last through 12/24/18. Use code: NINTENDO.

The link has a handy list of $1200+ items that guarantee you a Switch. WATCH OUT SPIDER-MAN PS4 BUNDLE.

Discuss times you got a free console or game after purchasing diamonds/non-video game related items.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
That's one strange collaboration promotion, but it's not a bad deal honestly if you're shopping for something like that anyways. This really only applies to a very specific subset of people though.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didnt they do an Xbox deal last year or was that a different chain? Wasn't even an X, just a regular-ass xbox one.

Shit ain't even covered in diamonds or anything

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
now i just need someone to propose to me, and then i'll have a second switch for homebrew.

That's one strange collaboration promotion, but it's not a bad deal honestly if you're shopping for something like that anyways. This really only applies to a very specific subset of people though.
is this a collaboration? do they need nintendo's permission for something like this, or can they just buy a bunch of switches to give away?

KnightimeX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can tell right off the bat that whatever is $1200 is likely worth only half that at best.
Might as well find something for $500 elsewhere, buy your switch and save $400+.

I get what they're trying to go for but definitely not worth it.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
now i just need someone to propose to me, and then i'll have a second switch for homebrew.

is this a collaboration? do they need nintendo's permission for something like this, or can they just buy a bunch of switches to give away?

Last year's xbox promotion was a collaboration, so this one might be as well

The main reason I think it's a collaborative effort is the use of Nintendo's logo and intellectual properties in the promotion, which I believe would be illegal unless they had a contract and worked out something with Nintendo. But I won't claim to be an expert either and it is an assumption I made.

EDIT: Ah, saw the recent post about Nintendo's lack of involvement. Interesting.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
If you're a poor fucker about to get married who wanted a Switch but spent the whole year saving up for a 1200$ ring instead, you must feel pretty good right now.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
But do you get the MK8 bundle or just a normal?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The main reason I think it's a collaborative effort is the use of Nintendo's logo and intellectual properties in the promotion, which I believe would be illegal unless they had a contract and worked out something with Nintendo. But I won't claim to be an expert either.
They specify that it is not a collaboration on the web. They have just bought a few Switch

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo Switch is a trademark of Nintendo. Nintendo is not a participant in or sponsor of the promotion.
makes sense, that would have been a weird ass cross promotion thingie

if you can afford that you can probably afford a switch on your own.
that's not much for a ring tbh. i'm sure a couple of people would appreciate the free switch they can get by buying a cheap ring
lol, but imagine their SO later finding out they got a ring from that specific place because of a free game console

Just buy a Switch and propose with the other Joy-Con.
instead of a ring on their finger, put a joycon strap on their wrist

Last edited:

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they just watched Mario Odyssey's trailers and went for it.

Peanut

Oct 27, 2017
Rhode Island
How so? The majority of people buying engagement rings (the driving reason behind the promotion) are in the 18-35 age demographic, which is basically primetime for the Switch. And even if its someone in an older demographic you wouldn't believe how many guys walk into jewelry stores days before Christmas and do all of their shopping for their significant other in one purchase. Why not get someone for the kiddos while you're there?

When I worked at a jewelry store, the Helzberg we competed with sold out of Xbox One's a week into that promotion.

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
I think it is a cool thing for people that are a bit more wealthy and get more expansive gifts for their significant other.
You don´t have to bother with a gift for the child. I think the switch is a better match than the xbox last year. Nintendo is more associated with being suitable for kids.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Millennials were killing the diamond industry but Helzberg brings it back with ONE WEIRD TRICK (GameStops HATE them!!!)