• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you keep spouting this nonsense? I've corrected you before in that PS+ is not cost free.
The parts that cost Sony money are the monthly games, PS+ discounts on PS Store and cloud saves. Monthly games seem to be given in a one-time payment deal with the publisher of the game so the amount of subscribers has an effect on the cost but does not directly correlate - many subscribers do not redeem the monthly games. The PS+ discount is more of a mystery as it's not a case of Plus getting more, it's a case of non-Plus getting less.

The monthly games are the most significant expense of the thing, which is why I think if they keep creating negative social media reactions they might just get rid of them. Sony already reduced the amount of games even for PS4 users because you lost the cross-buy games.

It doesn't take away the fact that it takes much more in F2P microtransactions to make up for the loss of a $60/year sub. Someone subbing for online play (which is almost all Plus subs now) is less likely to redeem monthly games which is always considered when making the monthly game deals.

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
The parts that cost Sony money are the monthly games, PS+ discounts on PS Store and cloud saves. Monthly games seem to be given in a one-time payment deal with the publisher of the game so the amount of subscribers has an effect on the cost but does not directly correlate - many subscribers do not redeem the monthly games. The PS+ discount is more of a mystery as it's not a case of Plus getting more, it's a case of non-Plus getting less.

The monthly games are the most significant expense of the thing, which is why I think if they keep creating negative social media reactions they might just get rid of them. Sony already reduced the amount of games even for PS4 users because you lost the cross-buy games.

It doesn't take away the fact that it takes much more in F2P microtransactions to make up for the loss of a $60/year sub. Someone subbing for online play (which is almost all Plus subs now) is less likely to redeem monthly games which is always considered when making the monthly game deals.
Se we agree? It's just a little baffling that you keep doing that "PS+ is $60 pure profit" thing, when you actually know it's not true.

I'd add to your mentioned monthly games, discounts and cloud saves expenses that there are also expenses in PS+ marketing and server maintenance, unless you think the marketing people/engineers are working for free or that the server hardware is free.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Just finished Edith Finch, super boring game that made no sense to me. I enjoyed Gone Home, but this felt like random nonsense. Sad, cause this game was highly praised and was looking forward to trying this.

Last edited:

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished Edith Finch, super boring game that made no sense to me. I enjoyed Gone Home, but this felt like random nonsense.
Gotta agree that after finishing it I found it a little overhyped by the thread here. The individual stories were alright but not something to tell your friends about, and the overall story wasnt good imo. I much prefered the game with the painter in the same vein, and I didnt even play it, watched a full playthrough. Edith finch is just meh. Like the story with the dude living underground for so many years after his brother died, only to get out and get crushed by a train, like ok? I think mu main issue is none of it made me care. The story inside the comic was the best part, and it wasnt even that good.
Love overcooked on the other hand, but my couch coop friends dont and theres no online so i wont finish it :(

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like walking simulators but I think i'm gonna try "What Remains of Edith Finch"

Let's see...

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Gotta agree that after finishing it I found it a little overhyped by the thread here. The individual stories were alright but not something to tell your friends about, and the overall story wasnt good imo. I much prefered the game with the painter in the same vein, and I didnt even play it, watched a full playthrough. Edith finch is just meh. Like the story with the dude living underground for so many years after his brother died, only to get out and get crushed by a train, like ok? I think mu main issue is none of it made me care. The story inside the comic was the best part, and it wasnt even that good.
Love overcooked on the other hand, but my couch coop friends dont and theres no online so i wont finish it :(
My exact thoughts. Some of the stories were interesting, especially the comic and fish canning one, but everything else was meh. Just felt like looking through someone's ancestry tree of either stupid or funny deaths and then the end. Never cared for Edith, her family, or the house. The curse or whatever is never explained and when the game is about to explain shit, it gets cut out immediately. I wanted to like this, but I just couldn't.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I don't like walking simulators but I think i'm gonna try "What Remains of Edith Finch"

Let's see...
Look I thought the exact same thing but came away from that game baffled of how good it was. The gameplay actually adds alot to the experience and the game is very short if that helps. Amazing game, cant believe I had the genre prejudice.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
Look I thought the exact same thing but came away from that game baffled of how good it was. The gameplay actually adds alot to the experience and the game is very short if that helps. Amazing game, cant believe I had the genre prejudice.

Yeah, a lot of people are praising the game. I'm curious to crawling in to it.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Overcooked is a damn fun experience, ended up buying the DLC last week because I needed more and got 3 stars in everything in the game. Probably the most fun I've had with a PS+ game in a long time, very happy to give them $1.68 for all that content!

I will definitely be picking up Overcooked 2 and the DLC in a future sale

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
My exact thoughts. Some of the stories were interesting, especially the comic and fish canning one, but everything else was meh. Just felt like looking through someone's ancestry tree of either stupid or funny deaths and then the end. Never cared for Edith, her family, or the house. The curse or whatever is never explained and when the game is about to explain shit, it gets cut out immediately. I wanted to like this, but I just couldn't.
Yeah that felt like an overuse of the open ended ending lol, i mean i could try and imagine links and stuff to make my own origin story of the curse, to be honest they give enough material to do so, but even then its not that great of a story. Plus the ending really felt flat with Edith's part which was obvious as soon as i looked down when starting the game ^^
On a more positive note I really loved the design of house, felt dreamlike when you walk through the top houses, but thats it.

demi

Oct 27, 2017

Let's see...

I'm somewhat in the same boat but there are some decent ones.

Granted that window is very small, but I played Edith Finch (it's only about 2 hours at most for a playthrough) and it was well done.
The other "walking" game they gave for free (Everyone's Gone to The Rapture) was godawful.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
My prediction:

- We'll finally get "three games" this time
- I won't care about the two bigger titles
- The smaller title will be exciting

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah that felt like an overuse of the open ended ending lol, i mean i could try and imagine links and stuff to make my own origin story of the curse, to be honest they give enough material to do so, but even then its not that great of a story. Plus the ending really felt flat with Edith's part which was obvious as soon as i looked down when starting the game ^^
On a more positive note I really loved the design of house, felt dreamlike when you walk through the top houses, but thats it.

Didn't think the ending was open ended at all though? I thought it was pretty clear that Edith came to understand that there was
no supernatural family curse.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't think the ending was open ended at all though? I thought it was pretty clear that Edith came to understand that there was
no supernatural family curse.
And therefore she
decided to kill herself? She seems to die at the end so why if theres no curse?
Or i misunderstood a lot lol