• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
ResetEra's First Freebie Thread!

Rules/Suggestions for participation:
  1. Please do not beg for random stuff no one's offering, kinda goes against the spirit of the thread. Besides, there's all kinds of jewels to be found on the cheap in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread.

2. Introducing Gift Bot 2.0

3. Spamming F5 when someone's posting multiple items successively to yell "ME" even before seeing what the current one is is weak (you guys know who you are, it's even more embarrassing when you edit the post after realizing you don't want it, by the way).
    However if Master Ninja is doing his thing where he blurs out the next thing and it's Suikoden 2 and you snipe me I swear to god I'll find you man

4. Don't be greedy, and remember, no one owes you anything! Also, Elton John reminds you that you should never take more than you give, so if you've got old carts, unused codes, gaming swag or anything else about, why not post it up here? Trust me, Gamestop's gonna give you less than a quarter for MGS2, Metroid Prime, and your copy of Madden '03 anyway, and you never know who's been wanting to play those ones.

Much love to all those who came before and again for an awesome idea (and tremendous support), as well as the awesome days of holiday giveaways & everyone else who shared before!

See #2 GiftBot lives! Link Again for Instructions

Guess Who's Back?

The original GiftBot was a much-beloved feature that helped inspire generosity and joy throughout the community. Unfortunately, it did not survive the transition to ResetEra 2.0. At the beginning of the year we pledged that GiftBot would return. Since then we've performed several critical tech upgrades, including an improved version of Image Options and a number of new features.

Even so, fans of GiftBot have been left waiting for a successor. We knew that if we were going to deliver late, it wouldn't be enough just to port the original. We had to go above and beyond what the old GiftBot offered. And so we set our sights on implementing the concept in a way that has never been attempted before.

The result is packed with features we think you'll like. Let's get right to them…

A True User Interface – No More PMs!

GiftBot was previously an externally hosted bot that required members to send a private message in order to create and enter giveaways. Complicated syntax was required to interact with any part of the system, with little to no margin of error. All commands were text-based.

We were determined to find a better way.

From that ambition a brand new user interface has been constructed. Members can now access the Giveaways feature from the left sidebar or their account options. Press the Create Giveaway button, and you will be greeted with a slick and intuitive page that walks you through every step. No more worrying about a typo breaking your whole entry, no more struggling with syntax.

Getting a Giveaway Started

When you enter the desired thread URL, the system will now automatically check to make sure that the URL is valid and that the target thread is eligible. Locked threads will be invalid.

You will be offered the option of creating a giveaway anonymously, without your username attached. Please note that to prevent abuse of this feature, moderators will still be able to see who created an anonymous giveaway. The next step then is to decide if you want to create a raffle or a first-come first-serve giveaway. If you're creating a raffle, a convenient dropdown will allow you to select your desired length (anywhere from 1 hour to 1 week).

Adding prizes couldn't be any easier! Simply select the platform from a dropdown (or choose "Other" and enter the platform name manually) and then fill out the fields for the title of the prize and the prize code itself. Selecting the PS4 or Nintendo Switch platforms will automatically prompt you to include region information, as those codes are region locked.

These aren't the only tools available to giveaway creators. There are others that are brand new.

New Options to Limit Giveaway Participants

In the past one of the biggest headaches for giveaway creators and staff was trying to prevent users from exploiting the system -- a small number of individuals tended to follow GiftBot from thread to thread, entering as many giveaways as possible, trying to rack up prizes in a way that violated the spirit of the whole feature.

To address this and similar concerns, the giveaway creation interface includes a Participants section with a whole suite of options designed to give creators control over who can enter their giveaways. These limits can all be wholly disabled with the Everything Must Go option; as the name suggests, this is good for getting rid of codes when you don't care who gets them.

With past winner restrictions, giveaway creators will be able to limit entrants to members who haven't won any giveaways within the past hour, day, week, or calendar month. Note that the calendar month option is unique in that it counts only the current month and not a fixed duration. Options also exist to restrict entry for Junior Members or lurkers (members with less than 5 posts in the designated thread). It's even possible to grant entry only to members who have created a giveaway in the past 30 days, or members who have created a giveaway since the last time they won one.

All of these options are at your fingertips. Beyond those, Admins have additional tools to ensure that wins are not dominated by only a handful of users. Exploitative behavior is now easier to detect and deter.

Include Messages With Your Giveaways

Giveaway creators now have the option to include a friendly message that will accompany their giveaway. These messages are directly integrated into the posts as quotes, with the creator named as the quote author (unless they have selected the Anonymous option). This feature can be used for friendly greetings, information about the prize or the giveaway, or anything else that is appropriate.

Revamped Giveaway Posts

The glow up is real. Extensive custom coding has allowed us to add slick and unique styling to giveaway posts, including a very visible header. Colorful icons next to each prize will denote the associated storefront or platform. If the giveaway is a raffle, a live countdown at the bottom of the post will display how much time is left until the end. Any restrictions placed on entrants by the giveaway creator will be indicated with gray icons near the top right of the post -- mouse over these icons for more details via tooltip.

When a giveaway post is quoted, it will display as linked text including the name of the giveaway creator and the number of prizes included.

Entering Giveaways

Like giveaway creation, entering a giveaway used to involve PMs to GiftBot and precise syntax, including strings of code to identify a prize. With GiftBot 2.0, it's as simple as clicking a button. Every giveaway post will have an Enter Giveaway button visible to members. The button will bring up a dialogue where you'll pick the prize(s) you want to enter for. If the giveaway creator has chosen to allow users to enter for multiple prizes, the options will be presented as check boxes. Otherwise you will have to select just one. A foolproof process.

Alerts for Raffles You Don't Win

One of the cool new benefits of integrating GiftBot directly into our forum software is that it can now take advantage of the alert system. Whenever a raffle you have entered ends, and you do not win, you will be automatically sent an alert to inform you of the outcome. You will also receive an alert if a raffle you have entered is cancelled. No longer will users have to go looking to find out what happened to their entry.

Track Your Giveaway History

With the original GiftBot there was no way to track the giveaways you created or won. This time around we're delighted to provide a convenient way to do exactly that. In addition to the Create Giveaway button, the Giveaways page also includes three separate tabs for your Active, Past, and Won giveaways. Users will now be able to track and locate any giveaway they're involved in, either as a creator or an entrant.

Improved Reliability

Because the original GiftBot was hosted externally, it was prone to breakdowns and service interruptions. Each outage would need to be addressed manually, creating work for the team and frustration for the users. GiftBot 2.0 however has now been directly integrated into our forum software, meaning that as long as the site is up, GiftBot 2.0 should remain online as well. The site and the bot are now one.

Era Clear Integration

We were previously pleased to introduce direct Era Clear gifting, which can be done via the recipient's profile or your Account Upgrades page. We've taken the feature a step further by allowing members to purchase Era Clear to include as a prize in giveaways. Simply select the Era Clear 1 month or 1 year options from the platform dropdown while creating a giveaway; the winner will have the prize applied to their account automatically!

Developing custom features like GiftBot 2.0 doesn't happen easily or cheaply. If you'd like to support the site, buying or gifting Era Clear is a great way to do so directly.

Bottom Line

Bringing GiftBot 2.0 to life took nearly as much effort and resources as ResetEra 2.0 itself -- as usual, no expense was spared. This is completely custom work. Built to our specifications, coded from scratch, made exclusively for you.

Thanks are due to Jawmuncher, JaseC, and especially ColdSun for their help with the design plan of GiftBot 2.0. Thanks also to the staff who dedicated their time to testing it before it went live.

A feature like no other, for a forum like no other. Let the gifting begin anew!

Last edited by a moderator:

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we want to do a giveaway w/ some kind of participation requirement ITT is that cool? Or better to make a new thread?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
If we want to do a giveaway w/ some kind of participation requirement ITT is that cool? Or better to make a new thread?
Depends, if you just want to do "first person to quote this" or "first person to answer", then go ahead & post here. If you want to do something like "hey, post here by this date & I'll use a RNG to decide", do a new thread. This is more for quick & easy giveaways.

OP
OP
Tebunker

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017

yeah I think that's great. Maybe eventually we can get a bot of some sort going, or some other way of having a requirement but I really like that idea.

Depends, if you just want to do "first person to quote this" or "first person to answer", then go ahead & post here. If you want to do something like "hey, post here by this date & I'll use a RNG to decide", do a new thread. This is more for quick & easy giveaways.

This may ultimately be best. There may be other threads too, like game specifics or Steam specific, but yeah the intent here is really; "Hey I have 10 extra Humble codes, here."

OP
OP
Tebunker

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
There is an addon for the forum that allows things like:
Code:
Usage:
[HIDE=5]hidden text[/HIDE] - need 5 posts for view hidden content
[SHOWTOGROUPS=3,4]hidden text[/SHOWTOGRUPS] - shows hidden content only for groups Administrative, Moderating

Which is what I think we need

Subutai

Metal Face DOOM
Oct 25, 2017
There is an addon for the forum that allows things like:
Code:
Usage:
[HIDE=5]hidden text[/HIDE] - need 5 posts for view hidden content
[SHOWTOGROUPS=3,4]hidden text[/SHOWTOGRUPS] - shows hidden content only for groups Administrative, Moderating

Which is what I think we need
That's a slick addon. Hope it comes soon. A bot would be even better of course but that will do for now.

Jayveer

Oct 25, 2017
I have a steam code for Resident Evil 6 to giveaway from the capcom humble bundle and also ShadowRun Returns(taken). As the hide/quote thingy isn't implemented yet I can give it to the first requestors via pm.

Last edited:

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for RE6. Will try to get around to playing it soon. (Remembers what's happening this weekend with games)

Yep, soon.

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
I have Steam keys for:

Day of the Tentacle
Super Hexagon
VVVVVV
The Stanley Parable
Guacamelee Gold
Thirty Flights of Loving

The Swapper
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
No Time To Explain
Nuclear Throne
Bit Blaster XL
Refunct

Killing Floor and some DLC
Shadow Complex Remastered (Epic Launcher Code)

PM for anything you want. You may ask for multiples but within reason.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I have codes for the original 4 Gears of War games that came with my copy of Gears 4. The first 4 people that quote me with which one they want I'll pm the code. I've had them sitting around for a while so I'm not positive if they could of potentially expired. I think they should work though.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have codes for the original 4 Gears of War games that came with my copy of Gears 4. The first 4 people that quote me with which one they want I'll pm the code. I've had them sitting around for a while so I'm not positive if they could of potentially expired. I think they should work though.

i'll take Judgement off your hands.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to grab the Gears of War 3 code. Never got a chance to play that one.

OP
OP
Tebunker

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017

Are those claimable on the windows store? I can't remember which of the games were made playable on Windows. Was it just 4?

Eitherway thanks for the Giveaway. I appreciate everyone who has already jumped in and started spreading the love.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
GoW 2 please. What's funny is my brother and I share names with the two main chars but I've never played them.

cyldman

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Great to see this thread moving! :)

Edit: I have a steam gift to share:
Contraption Maker.

Here is the downside:
This is a restricted gift which can only be redeemed in these countries: Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Bahamas, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay, Argentina, Bolivia, Guyana, Suriname, Brazil, Mexico

PM me!

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Hey, might as well offer my leftover humble bundle codes to the community here, let me know if you're interested. I only ask that you.... remember..... me... (okay this is optional)

I have the following steam games to give away:

Dead Island: Game of the Year Edition Claimed by souppboy
Dead Island Riptide Complete Edition Claimed by souppboy
Risen Gone
Risen 2: Dark Waters Gold Edition
Saints Row 2
Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package Claimed
Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Episode 1: Penal Colony Also gone
Human Resource Machine Claimed
Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power Yup this one is gone too
Star Wars™ Knights of the Old Republic™ II: The Sith Lords™ Claimed
Yosumin Claimed by GWX

Last edited:

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
I've got a Resident Evil Revelations code for Xbox One up for grabs - something spooky to play on Halloween, perhaps?!

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, might as well offer my leftover humble bundle codes with the community here, let me know if you're interested. I only ask that you.... remember..... me... (okay this is optional)

Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package

Can I have Saints Row?

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, might as well offer my leftover humble bundle codes with the community here, let me know if you're interested. I only ask that you.... remember..... me... (okay this is optional)

Risen
Saints Row 2
Resident Evil Revelations 2 - Episode 1: Penal Colony
Human Resource Machine
Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power
Star Wars™ Knights of the Old Republic™ II: The Sith Lords™
Yosumin

Would I be able to get KOTOR 2?

crienne

Oct 25, 2017

Human Resource Machine

Definitely interested in Human Resource Machine.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those of you giving away games, kudos to you for your kindness.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Risen
Saints Row 2
Human Resource Machine
Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power
Star Wars™ Knights of the Old Republic™ II: The Sith Lords™
Yosumin

Trine 3, please! Thanks a lot!

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Hey, might as well offer my leftover humble bundle codes to the community here, let me know if you're interested. I only ask that you.... remember..... me... (okay this is optional)

Risen
Saints Row 2
Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package Claimed
Human Resource Machine Claimed
Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power Yup this one is gone too
Star Wars™ Knights of the Old Republic™ II: The Sith Lords™Claimed
Yosumin Claimed by GWX

I could use first Risen. It was old and weird and I have a soft spot for getting angry for those games

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
I still have Risen, Risen 2, Saints Row 2 and episode 1 of Resident Evil Revelations 2 if there are any takers.

Poor Risen games. They really aren't that bad peeps! Props to you for doing this giveaway!

EDIT: I have a 50% off Steam coupon for Civ VI Digital Deluxe if anybody wants it.

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I think users have found a way to replicate the hidden email tag, quote to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.