• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A teenager has sparked a national debate about blasphemy in France after an Instagram post calling Islam a "religion of hate".

Mila, 16, posted her comments online after receiving homophobic abuse from a Muslim commenter.

She received death threats and has not attended school since.

But Mila has refused to back down, saying in her first television interview that she "wanted to blaspheme".

She has since deactivated her Instagram account.

The post has sparked a huge debate in France over freedom of speech. The country has no national blasphemy laws and has a rigidly secular constitution.

Police initially opened two investigations: the first into whether Mila was guilty of hate speech, and the second into her online attackers. They have since dropped the hate speech case as Mila was expressing a personal opinion on religion and not targeting individuals.

On Tuesday, Interior Minister Christophe Castaner told the National Assembly that Mila and her family were under police protection.

The controversy began on 18 January, after Mila did a live broadcast on her Instagram account. After speaking about her sexuality she was called a "dirty lesbian" by a Muslim commenter.

In response, Mila posted an attack on Islam. "I hate religion. The Koran is a religion of hate," she said, before using stronger words to attack Islam.

"I am not racist. You cannot be racist towards a religion. I said what I thought, you're not going to make me regret it."

More at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51369960

Lock if old

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
sucks that they forced her to go into police protection and im glad the hate speech case was dropped

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All religions are blaphamous against each other but the Religious Cartel only go after the weak instead.

Way to prove her right you cunts.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
they were hateful towards her. religion isn't and shouldn't be a protected class.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
"I am not racist. You cannot be racist towards a religion. I said what I thought, you're not going to make me regret it."

Oh, she is one of those people.

I have no doubt that her intentions are pure and there is nothing more to this story.

Pêches congelées!

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who cries about blasphemy deserves to get their religion mocked. Normalizing ideas of blasphemy shouldn't be tolerated. Got to love it when religious people dish it out but can never take it back.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
i'd say it's a little weird to talk about how much you hate religion but you only ever mention one specific religion but maybe that's just me

obviously not condoning anything else but just kinda makes you go hmm!

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
You're missing the response from a high ranking member of the French council for Islam (CFCM), who basically said she got what she deserved (regarding death threats) , 'he who sows the wind reaps the whirlwind'. Luckily the head guy disavowed those statements later on.

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't she have called out the commenter without calling out the whole religion? I feel that most Southern Baptists are bigots, but I don't think it's inherently a bigoted religion, it's just being misused as cover to push individual agendas.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Criticizing religion isnt a crime, she did nothing wrong

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Oh, she is one of those people.

Yes, one of "those people" who won't put up with being harassed because of their sexual orientation. It must be difficult for you to handle being around "those people" because they won't just take it.

i'd say it's a little weird to talk about how much you hate religion but you only ever mention one specific religion but maybe that's just me

The person who harrassed her because of her being LGBTQ said it was because of his religion. Calling out said religion doesn't seem odd as a response.

If someone is just harassing people because they are religious, they're a hateful asshole. But that's a bit different than what was presented in the OP.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Actually what's weird is how we neuter our own posts by giving out about religion when it's one speciific religion in this case.

Which is what I did above. I didn't call out Islam even though that is the problem here because I've been conditioned not to.

Because if I do, I'll be called racist, or asked why I don't attack Christianity, and then have some long drawn out argument over that. Or at least that's the fear.

Which is exactly what the Catholic Church defenders do when you talk about their fucked up behavior and there's plenty fucking of it.

Ahhh! Religion is a pox.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Ah, yes, correct people

Here in Québec we had a ton of racists and right wingers poorly make this argument aswell when defending law 21, didn't expect to see it here on Era.

Thinking racism only exists in terms skin color or ethnicity isn't an accurate description of what racism is, or how it affects groups of people.

Yes, one of "those people" who won't put up with being harassed because of their sexual orientation. It must be difficult for you to handle being around "those people" because they won't just take it.

Anti-Muslism prejudice is at an all time high everywhere in the west, I recognize this argument for what it is.

Getting hate aimed at you isn't an excuse to say vile shit about an entire religion, even less to go on national television to do so. The Right always use LGBTQ people as props to shit on Islam, seeing this girl go on the news must have made them so fucking hard.

You are conflating two separate statements.

No I'm not? Can you quote me the part I am misreading? her quote is pretty clear on this

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I can definitely imagine where this can get dicey, as many Islamophobes conflate the worst abuses of sharia law to the entire religion and its followers and defend it under the guise of criticizing big religion. Had she referred to it as a "death cult", something I have personally heard several a conservative American say, then I imagine she'd be receiving far less sympathy.

All of that said, she is clearly not the main instigator, nothing justifies homophobia thrown anyone's way, and no religion is beyond reproach.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty pathetic to see people on ERA defending a statement that is raising my eyebrow regarding "free speech." Hell, I have relatives in France and Quebec and I've seen enough prejudice and racism spoken by people. Religion is a large part of it as well. Hell, I can't even believe I am speaking on behalf of religious beliefs given my own views on all religions.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can definitely imagine where this can get dicey, as many Islamophobes conflate the worst abuses of sharia law to the entire religion and its followers and defend it under the guise of criticizing big religion. Had she referred to it as a "death cult", something I have personally heard several a conservative American say, then I imagine she'd be receiving far less sympathy.

All of that said, she is clearly not the main instigator, nothing justifies homophobia thrown anyone's way, and no religion is beyond reproach.

What do you think the Catholic Church is?

It's literally about a person who resurrects and promises eternal life.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Pretty pathetic to see people on ERA defending a statement that is raising my eyebrow regarding "free speech." Hell, I have relatives in France and Quebec and I've seen enough prejudice and racism spoken by people. Religion is a large part of it as well. Hell, I can't even believe I am speaking on behalf of religious beliefs given my own views on all religions.

Tell me about it!

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mila's cause has been embraced by the far right. National Rally leader Marine Le Pen said Mila had "more courage than the entire political class in power for the past 30 years".

Of course.

There are lots of idiots online. For her to jump from an idiot insulting her to her insulting a religion followed by over a billion people with billion different expressions of said religion is even more idiotic than the idiot who insulted her.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
Is there really a discussion here? When she's saying
it's pretty obvious she's racist. What she said was clearly racist and deeply offensive. Sure she was a victim of hate speech, but that doesn't justify anything.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Okay like 1) she's being stupid about Islam and pushing that racist narrative.

2) you're not helping your case by death threatening her for calling your religion hateful =_=

Everyone is being fucking stupid

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

it's pretty obvious she's racist. What she said was clearly racist and deeply offensive. Sure she was a victim of hate speech, but that doesn't justify anything.

You're letting your biases cloud your judgement. I doubt a 16 year old french girl takes talking points from Fox News on how to dog whistle.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Here in Québec we had a ton of racists and right wingers poorly make this argument aswell when defending law 21, didn't expect to see it here on Era.

Thinking racism only exists in terms skin color or ethnicity isn't an accurate description of what racism is, or how it affects groups of people.
This is a twisted definition of racism that basically makes it impossible to criticize Islam without being labelled a racist.
Anti-Muslism prejudice is at an all time high everywhere in the west, I recognize this argument for what it is.

Getting hate aimed at you isn't an excuse to say vile shit about an entire religion.

If someone calls you a "dirty lesbian" because their religion teaches them that it's a crime against nature, then that is actually a pretty good reason to call out the religion for being hateful and backward. And it's only one of a long list of issues it's hate filled and backward about. Maybe I'd have more sympathy if it wasn't also violently sexist.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
"How dare you call my religion a religion of hate! I'm going to murder you!"

100% predictable, but... sigh.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sending death threats after being told your religion incites violence. Sweet, sweet irony.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
[/QUOTE]
You're letting your biases cloud your judgement. I doubt a 16 year old french girl takes talking points from Fox News on how to dog whistle.

Psst: the US didn't invent those things and the right everywhere are using the same tactics.

To assume otherwise is painfully naive.

This is a twisted definition of racism that basically makes it impossible to criticize Islam without being labelled a racist.

Oh no, think of the poor white people who just want to criticize Islam in good faith :(

"I want to blaspheme against these people specifically, please ignore any social context that can paint this in any other light than a pure freeze peach issue please"

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I can definitely imagine where this can get dicey, as many Islamophobes conflate the worst abuses of sharia law to the entire religion and its followers and defend it under the guise of criticizing big religion. Had she referred to it as a "death cult", something I have personally heard several a conservative American say, then I imagine she'd be receiving far less sympathy

Especially in France. They're pretty bad on Islamaphobia

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019

If someone calls you a "dirty lesbian" because their religion teaches them that it's a crime against nature, then that is actually a pretty good reason to call out the religion for being hateful and backward. And it's only one of a long list of issues it's hate filled and backward about. Maybe I'd have more sympathy if it wasn't also violently sexist.

The parts of Islam that restrict the rights of women and actively harm members of the LGBTQ community suck shit and should be challenged.

Wow I did it without being racist.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If someone says "I'm muslim and being gay is wrong," your response shouldn't be "muslims are intolerant," it should be "you are homophobic, and shame on you for using your religion to justify your personal beliefs."

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth

Or just call out the person?

Asator

Oct 27, 2017

Islam is an ideology, not a race. Ideologies have no rights.

iu

Also, Islam (as well as other Abrahamic religions) has some serious issues with LBGT rights. It's not exactly surprising for a LBGT person to look upon said religions very negatively, especially when openly attacked by someone who identify as a believer of such religions.