• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
"Rape is a crime but insistent or clumsy flirting is not, nor is gallantry a macho aggression," said the letter signed by women including Catherine Millet, author of the explicit 2002 memoir 'The Sexual Life of Catherine M' also signed the letter and French actress Catherine Robbe-Grillet.

While it admits that the Weinstein affair had its uses, calling it "necessary" in exposing how some men abuse their power, it goes on to say that the allegations have gone too far.

"Men have been punished summarily, forced out of their jobs when all they did was touch someone's knee or try to steal a kiss."

I am not going into all that. I'm saying clumsy flirting in itself is fine. Nothing more. Nothing less. Touching, kissing, grabbing etc etc yeah fuck all that. I'm talking about clumsy flirting people.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I don't agree about the touching, stealing a kiss, or persistent pursuit after being told no, but she is right that there has been a lot of lack of due process and public shaming. There should be a spectrum of punishment fitting the misdeed/crime, but lately, livelihoods are getting ruined for as little as consensual power-imbalance relationships.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Calm down homie

Maybe I interpreted it different so please enlighten me instead of being an ass
How about you quote where it says what you said it says?
Who lost their job for touching someone's knee?
This I'd like to know. Shit like this only damages their point, if there's nothing to back it up.
The accused are free to file libel suits, and whatever unlawful discharge clauses applicable. Rather telling that they dont.
Yes, the reactions on here when someone does that or threatens that are really level headed. Can't imagine why someone doesn't jump right to a libel lawsuit..

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just read the letter, it's the usual "PC gone mad" concern trolling that aggregates everything from that Balthus painting to #metoo.

Don't know about France, but in the UK any person in a position of authority at a workplace doing any of the things they suggest, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
In France too. Which makes them all the more tone deaf. But hey, these are people comfortable around Polanski, so fuck them.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I wonder if she'll be OK if Weinstein is sentenced to do his house arrest at her house?

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Also, yeah, witch hunt is a really bad term. There are no witches, creepers and rapists? Plenty of those around.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Have there been any men caught up in the movement that were only guilty of once trying to steal a kiss from a single woman?

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Americans aren't the most subtle people, it would be a lot better for everyone if we could add more nuance to this. There is a difference between rape (go to prison), masturbating in front of others (pay a fine, lose your job), and pretending to touch someone's chest through a Kevlar vest (apologize and stop being stupid).

You understand that Franken did more than just touch someone through their kevlar, right? That person accepted his apology. It wasn't until there were 6 other accusations against him that the party actually started calling for his resignation, so not only was this not a witch hunt, but Franken clearly didn't stop being stupid after the first incident. You wanted nuance, you got it.

Oct 25, 2017
I think she raises some decent points in the article. Especially about the reaction from the extremes as a result from this movement. But that's not really a reason to criticize the movement. It's not the movement's fault that there are chauvinistic aholes out there.

And I think painting the movement as attacking men who are just hitting on women is stretching to the point of absurdity.

Yeah I'm concerned about an overreaction as well, but as far as I know no one (at least in Hollywood) has gotten shafted for just hitting on women, badly or well. It doesn't seem like that's really at issue, at least not while there are plenty of genuine rapists, predators, and harassers out there.

I wonder how much of their perspective is colored by the idea of America as the "puritanical" country rather than the actual circumstances.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, the reactions on here when someone does that or threatens that are really level headed. Can't imagine why someone doesn't jump right to a libel lawsuit..

Funny how men find themselves for once with the onus of innocence, after endless systemic effort do obfuscate and deny rape culture. And now they crumple like a pyramid of cards.

Almawtaa

Oct 29, 2017
There is something to be said about the weird infantile position people put women in when it comes to sexuality. I have read/heard some feminists who campaigned for the sexual liberation of women in the 70s give some of this movement side eye.

I think we are fully capable of distinguishing between sexual assault and being bad at flirting, we just need to be careful to not be so hungry for justice that we start looking for it in regular, healthy human social sexual interactions. We risk not only tarring and feathering men, but establishing the sexual autonomy of women as almost non existent.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Ok but that is what she's saying. So maybe don't defend her stance on it if you don't agree.

I am not defending her stance I am agreeing with the quote that is presented in the OP

The quote is "Rape is a crime but insistent or clumsy flirting is not, nor is gallantry a macho aggression,"

I agree with that statement. Thats what I meant and thats literally what I said. If I had meant more than that I would have said so. It was you and the other person that decided to jump down my throat and assume I was supporting sexual harassment.

And people wonder why these threads are avoided like the plague.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
When will someone call rape "trying to steal a fuck" in a gross boys will be boys defense?

Oct 25, 2017
What is going on in Hollywood isn't clumsy flirting. and if someone is trying to "steal" a kiss in any work environment you report them and they should lose their jobs. period.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I am not defending her stance I am agreeing with the quote that is presented in the OP

The quote is "Rape is a crime but insistent or clumsy flirting is not, nor is gallantry a macho aggression,"

I agree with that statement. Thats what I meant and thats what literally what I said. If I had meant more than that I would have said so. It was you and the other person that decided to jump down my throat and assume I was supporting sexual harassment.

And people wonder why these threads are avoided like the plague.
Sorry my dude. These kind of flippant attitude towards a legit societal issue just get me riled up. Did not mean to jump on you specifically. My apologies.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Seems a reasonable enough statement. A lot of people seem to require nothing but an accusation to completely mentally convict someone.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Have there been any men caught up in the movement that were only guilty of once trying to steal a kiss from a single woman?
Adam Sandler touched someone's knee during an interview. HER KNEE! And the Internet freaked out. She may be talking about instances like that, but I doubt it. She appears to be speaking more generally.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Not going to go in too hard on her because there are cultural differences at play, but there's no doubt she has badly misinterpreted the situation in Hollywood post-Weinstein.

This isn't about failed attempts to "steal a kiss." It's not the snowball dance in 11th grade.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The article comes across as some women stuck in the past that have the "men will be men" thinking

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Extremely misguided as the likes of Harvey Weinstein weren't just 'bad flirters', they were predators.

I will agree that sometimes women complain that a guy coming up to talk to them is a 'creep' or 'harassing' them just by attempting a conversation - that's not right. Guys have to be free to talk to people or flirt with people - until the point at which it's clear it's not welcome, after which it DOES become harassment. But that's just not the level of behaviour this whole thing has been about.

The meToo movement will make these predators think again next time they are in such a situation, and for that it's invaluable and should be applauded. Literally saving people out here.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
A very passionate and poisonous response. It would be easier to address their complaint if they provided example of who they feel so far is unfairly targeted by puritanism compared to those they regard as legit sex offenders.

If they are arguing that all forms of accusations where the only evidence is the testimony of the accuser are without merit I can only say things have to play out like this for now because victims have been discouraged for generations to speak up quickly.

We need to engender an environment where we aren't immediately hostile to even examining the case within 48 hours. It's gotten so bad it's easy to accuse years later and be vindicated within a week with multiple victims and witnesses. Since it is that bad in our country this unfair way of handling accusations will have to be used until we foster the right culture and expectations.

Grizzo

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Not much of a surprise, she also came out in support of Polanski some time ago. And back when France was fighting for the government to pass the law on same sex marriage, she was not convinced, saying she didnt understand why gay people would want to marry when so many people get divorced nowadays.

So all in all, she's a great actress but her opinions are part of what you could call the "old generation". And lately she's been showing more and more of that, which is a shame.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Men had been dragged through the mud, they argued, for "talking about intimate subjects during professional dinners or for sending sexually-charged messages to women who did not return their attentions."

How is consequences to non-consensual sexual advances considered going too far?

How can a sexual advance be consensual?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Sorry my dude. These kind of flippant attitude towards a legit societal issue just get me riled up. Did not mean to jump on you specifically. My apologies.

Forgiven. Its a touchy subject, but as someone who has social anxiety and is completely inept at flirting I can sympathize with the idea of someone not wanting their actions to be taken the wrong way or blown up in a situation like that. And when I say actions I obviously mean nothing gross or nefarious. I mean literal simple flirting that normal people do.

I think alot of people could agree with that sentiment.

Magni

You understand that Franken did more than just touch someone through their kevlar, right? That person accepted his apology. It wasn't until there were 6 other accusations against him that the party actually started calling for his resignation, so not only was this not a witch hunt, but Franken clearly didn't stop being stupid after the first incident. You wanted nuance, you got it.

I hadn't actually heard about the other allegations. Reading more on it, the ones that he apologized for and didn't deny all involve groping/kissing. So yes, you're right, more than just the Kevlar pic. But still less than actual rape.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Adam Sandler touched someone's knee during an interview. HER KNEE! And the Internet freaked out.
She put his hand back on his own leg the second time he did it. Clearly she didn't like that, even if she hasn't personally taken him to task. On top of that, he's suffered no social or financial ramifications as a result, so he's not even a fitting example. But he deserved the internet heat he got. Don't touch my leg, bros.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I feel like the interesting nuance wasn't quoted in the OP -- and there are some interesting bits here.

Women are now being told to "speak in the right way, to keep quiet about what makes them angry, with those who refuse to obey regarded as traitors and accomplices!", the letter claims.

"Instead of helping women, this frenzy to send these (male chauvinist) 'pigs' to the abattoir actually helps the enemies of sexual liberty -- religious extremists and the worst sort of reactionaries," the collective of women who signed the letter said.

"As women we do not recognise ourselves in this feminism, which beyond denouncing the abuse of power, takes on a hatred of men and of sexuality."

Basically, what I drew from this is that Deneuve and the other women signatories are arguing that the #metoo movement is unwisely compressing all gradations of harassment (because, it's all unacceptable, but some actions are worse than others). They're intimating that, by painting the women in these encounters as victims, they're taking agency away from women in some encounters from saying, "Nope, this was just awkward. I am not a (perpetual) victim." The letter's not a mounted defense against Weinstein; it's a defense of the agency of women, generally speaking, and a call to stand guard against how certain patriarchal social constructs, like religion, can co-opt the movement.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
NPR reported there was a French version of #metoo as #BalanceTonPorc (Out Your Pig). I hope that's true.

Anyway, I don't respect the old-fashioned ideas in this letter.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Just, no.
Imagine Weinstein trying to "steal a kiss" from your very lips.
OK for the part about clumsy flirting, but pressing your filthy, stinky lips on someone's uninvited is not clumsy flirting. Piss off, Catherine.

And then... who was the French actress who explained that it was OK that all the directors at last year's Cannes festival were men, because it's more natural for men to direct and for women to be directed?
So French.
Andrea Arnold? She's British, not French, though

Edit: And it wasn't last year

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She put his hand back on his own leg the second time he did it. Clearly she didn't like that, even if she hasn't personally taken him to task. On top of that, he's suffered no social or financial ramifications as a result, so he's not even a fitting example. But he deserved the internet heat he got. Don't touch my leg, bros.
She claimed what she did in response was joking around. And yes, I found the reaction to it completely overblown and stupid.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't actually heard about the other allegations. Reading more on it, the ones that he apologized for and didn't deny all involve groping/kissing. So yes, you're right, more than just the Kevlar pic. But still less than actual rape.

So given that Franken isn't in jail, his resignation seems like it meets your criteria, yes?

Oct 27, 2017
There is something to be said about the weird infantile position people put women in when it comes to sexuality. I have read/heard some feminists who campaigned for the sexual liberation of women in the 70s give some of this movement side eye.

I think we are fully capable of distinguishing between sexual assault and being bad at flirting, we just need to be careful to not be so hungry for justice that we start looking for it in regular, healthy human social sexual interactions. We risk not only tarring and feathering men, but establishing the sexual autonomy of women as almost non existent.

This. Thank you. Much of the Me Too movement is justified. But on the fuzzier end of the spectrum (flirting, work relationships, awkward social interactions), things are getting a bit carried away.

See Tavis Smiley, Leonard Lopate, and Garrison Keillor. These guys getting their livelihoods taken away and reputations tarnished for the little they've been purported to have done seems like a massive overreach to me.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
NPR reported there was a French version of #metoo as #BalanceTonPorc (Out Your Pig). I hope that's true.
There is. It's actually quoted in the Le Monde article (http://www.lemonde.fr/idees/article...exuelle_5239134_3232.html#eaS2UVg9T1IXi0cj.99), but that didn't make it to the translated interpretation.

Deneuve and the other signatories talk about #BalanceTonPorc too:

Cette fièvre à envoyer les « porcs » à l'abattoir, loin d'aider les femmes à s'autonomiser, sert en réalité les intérêts des ennemis de la liberté sexuelle, des extrémistes religieux, des pires réactionnaires et de ceux qui estiment, au nom d'une conception substantielle du bien et de la morale victorienne qui va avec, que les femmes sont des êtres « à part », des enfants à visage d'adulte, réclamant d'être protégées.

Basically (my translation): the rush to throw out the pigs, far from helping women empower themselves, actually serves the interests of the enemies of sexual liberty, religious extremists, the worst reactionaries and those who believe, in the name of a the greater good and Victorian morals that go with it, that women are beings "apart" -- children with the guise of adults, clamoring to be protected.

Last edited:

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
The article comes across as some women stuck in the past that have the "men will be men" thinking
You've summed up Deneuve pretty well. Every time she opens her mouth another idiocity comes out.

Yep. It was pretty big. Deneuve was against that as well (and that's predominantly what the article is about, not really anything to do with Weinstein).