• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
This is actually one of the things I find most ridiculous when it comes to the debate of the x in Spanish, when people said that is imperialistic and colonialist because is "white woke english speaking people imposing it" which is wrong in many many ways but also...

...uuuuh we are talking about fucking Spanish, a language that was actually imposed in this continent through colonialism and imperialism lol

So you're saying people from Latin America can't complain about the imperialistic undertones of North American trying to impose their way of speaking because their own language (spanish) is the product of colonialism? Come on now.

For you're information, since you obviously know nothing about South American culture, there is a really big push here for inclusive language, but literally zero people I know of are using Latinx.

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
So you're saying people from Latin America can't complain about the imperialistic undertones of North American trying to impose their way of speaking because their own language (spanish) is the product of colonialism? Come on now.

For you're information, since you obviously know nothing about South American culture, there is a really big push here for inclusive language, but literally zero people I know of are using Latinx.

I'm from Argentina...

Also not talking on my whole country but a lot of people that I know (both young, old, academics, informal, politicians, etc.) use the x, so saying that no one uses it is false whenever you personally don't like it or the people around you don't use it. And I have know about the x and e as a form of gender neutrality in spanish way before it became a thing in "North American twitter".

People can complain I just think that is a silly argument because of that and also because other latine people started the x thing, you can disagree all you want but let's stop perpetuating a lie.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I don't see masculine as default as bad if you think about it not as masculine, but as masculine, neutral or default, while only feminine gets its own flexion.
Because it leads to people thinking of male as the default in all sorts of context. It's actually a pretty significant problem fueled by patriarchy.

Sure maybe in the case of Spanish Portuguese and French, but those languages are no longer the exclusive property of the former/current colonisers. As leopold sedar sangor said about French, c'est notre butin de guerre (It's our war spoils).
But there's also gendered and non gendered languages in both coloniser/colonised peoples languages. So trying to link genderedness to colonialism is rich considering how large the British empire was.
You're missing the point here. Some dumb-dumb earlier said it was "colonialism" to read sexism into gendered languages. We're just arguing against that. Because it's not only fucking ridiculous, it's also heavily ironic coming from someone speaking a language that was spread via colonialism itself!

Oct 28, 2017
You're missing the point here. Some dumb-dumb earlier said it was "colonialism" to read sexism into gendered languages. We're just arguing against that. Because it's not only fucking ridiculous, it's also heavily ironic coming from someone speaking a language that was spread via colonialism itself!
Someone speaking a language that was spread by colonialism doesn't mean that language is not part of their colonised identity though that's what you fail to take into consideration.

Also there's this whole "why isn't your language more like English" that comes out from people usually from the Anglosphere that pops up everytime somebody makes an effort to not have their language be subsumed by English.
Remember threads about Québec on this forum?

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Someone speaking a language that was spread by colonialism doesn't mean that language is not part of their colonised identity though that's what you fail to take into consideration.

Also there's this whole "why isn't your language more like English" that comes out from people usually from the Anglosphere that pops up everytime somebody makes an effort to not have their language be subsumed by English.
You really don't need to remind me how anglos try to assimilate everything non-English, I've dealt with that my whole life. But again you are missing the point, which is that criticizing the gendered aspects of those languages as sexist or patriarchal is not colonialism. It's just fucking not. Words have meaning, FFS.

Edit: as a reminder, this is the part that started the whole thing:
Fetishizing pronouns in non-English languages and reading sexism into the masculine gender as a neutral option in Romance languages is a hilarious bit of colonialism on the part of English speakers.
Like. No. "Reading sexism into the masculine as neutral is English colonialism": lol, fucking NO

Oct 28, 2017
You really don't need to remind me how anglos try to assimilate everything non-English, I've dealt with that my whole life. But again you are missing the point, which is that criticizing the gendered aspects of those languages as sexist or patriarchal is not colonialism. It's just fucking not. Words have meaning, FFS.

Edit: as a reminder, this is the part that started the whole thing:

Like. No. "Reading sexism into the masculine as neutral is English colonialism": lol, fucking NO
Not all gendered languages are patriarchal, for example my native language amazigh (berber) uses the female gender as the default (not weird considering how matriarchal those tribes were)

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021

I mean, yeah no shit Spanish is my language and is part of my identity as someone living in a Latin american country, that doesn't take away the actual reality and fact of the language. And how silly and ironic it is when people argue that marginalized people trying to include themselves or create a non gendered version of their own language is the same as colonizing which is an actual process our continent has suffered.

Also yeah in no part of my post I was denying how English has imposed itself more and more, I know, I see it in my own country and in other Latin American communities it doesn't take away anything that I said...

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Not all gendered languages are patriarchal, for example my native language amazigh (berber) uses the female gender as the default (not weird considering how matriarchal those tribes were)
This thread and the conversation happening, was about French (I even wrote "those languages", so obviously I was not referring to the Berber language), and the post specifically referred to "usage of masculine as default". I feel you're being deliberately obtuse just to keep arguing right now.

Drigon87

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
What's truly hilarious is to use the term colonialism with regards to languages that are all still spoken by actual fucking colonizers, with no hint of sarcasm present, but go off I guess.
What colonies does my country have? Also, how does that make the whole "poor ignorant foreigners, let's judge and teach them how to speak their own language with no regard to their own culture or say in the matter" okay?

lol WHAT? Absolute nonsense. "Masculine as the default" is 100% sexist and patriarchal. Come on.
You would think that if in your native language masculine gender = male, but that's not the case in Romance languages.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What colonies does my country have? Also, how does that make the whole "poor ignorant foreigners, let's judge and teach them how to speak their own language with no regard to their own culture or say in the matter" okay?
I don't know where you're from, nor do I usually involve myself in matters of Anglicisation. I just know weaponizing the term "colonialism" so flagrantly with regards to what ultimately amounts to slap fights and stealth transphobia all occurring between speakers of languages that were all known for actual colonialism is a galaxy brained-ass take, regardless of wherever you're from.

Drigon87

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
It's not a galaxy-brained take, it's how embarrassing this looks from the other side of the counter (especially stuff like "they don't let me use specific quirks of the English language in their language, they suck!"). But this thread has taught me that taking other cultures' perspectives and views of themselves into account is a bridge too far.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's not a galaxy-brained take, it's how embarrassing this looks from the other side of the counter. But this thread has taught me that taking other cultures' perspectives and views of themselves into account is a bridge too far.
This thread is predicated on how elements like non-binary communities, working within these languages, are attempting to try and push forward language to account for their identity though.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. I don't wanna hear that word fall out of the mouths of the Spanish, French, or Portuguese for anything that isn't self-implicating until they all fix this shit.

Fucking clown shoes take.
This is a very weak spin. The colonialism/imperialism argument concerning Latinx is obviously about Latin America, not Spain. It's about North America/the U.S. trying to force their language/culture on Spanish-speaking countries in Central and South America. Language change should come from within the linguistic community, and not be driven by external forces, that's what people mean by linguistic imperialism.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a galaxy-brained take, it's how embarrassing this looks from the other side of the counter (especially stuff like "they don't let me use specific quirks of the English language in their language, they suck!"). But this thread has taught me that taking other cultures' perspectives and views of themselves into account is a bridge too far.
Again, what is embarrassing is how cavalier you are about colonialism. You can be mad about Anglicisation of a Romance language without having the lack of perspective to compare what is, ultimately, the attempt to linguistically recognize non-binary people, with shit like slavery and genocide of Native and Black peoples.

Seriously, get a fucking grip.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This is a very weak spin. The colonialism/imperialism argument concerning Latinx is obviously about Latin America, not Spain. It's about North America/the U.S. trying to force their language/culture on Spanish-speaking countries in Central and South America. Language change should come from within the linguistic community, and not be driven by external forces, that's what people mean by linguistic imperialism.
There are a number of people who are from countries in Latin America that use Latinx mind. Some even in this thread (and past threads). That it isn't adopted widely or that a minor percentage of people identify with it isn't exactly surprising when you consider the general % of a population that's non-binary.

Drigon87

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
There are a number of people who are from countries in Latin America that use Latinx mind. Some even in this thread (and past threads). That it isn't adopted widely or that a minor percentage of people identify with it isn't exactly surprising when you consider the general % of a population that's non-binary.
This is what I mean: why are you expecting them to adopt something some other random language cooked up.

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021

But it is changing through the linguistic community, saying that no latine person use or proposed to use the x as a gender neutral alternative is a lie, and it was created way before people from north america started using it...

Drigon87

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
"That it isn't adopted widely or that a minor percentage of people identify with it isn't exactly surprising when you consider the general % of a population that's non-binary." It sounds like you would expect it to be more popular if there were more non-binary people. As if it would be natural for them to choose Latinx over other options.

Oct 28, 2017
This thread and the conversation happening, was about French (I even wrote "those languages", so obviously I was not referring to the Berber language), and the post specifically referred to "usage of masculine as default". I feel you're being deliberately obtuse just to keep arguing right now.
French isn't France's anymore.
This thread's gendered complaints are mostly from Anglosphere people wanting to pat themselves on the back.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
"That it isn't adopted widely or that a minor percentage of people identify with it isn't exactly surprising when you consider the general % of a population that's non-binary." It sounds like you would expect it to be more popular if there were more non-binary people. As if it would be natural for them to choose Latinx over other options.
That's a stretch. What I said was it's not surprising that the percentage of the population that have adopted and do identify with it is small, considering how small a segment of an overall population non-binary people make up. Others might use latine, others something else. Some however, do use latinx.

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
This is what I mean: why are you expecting them to adopt something some other random language cooked up.

Stop with this lie, the x was and it is used by people from that language, it wasn't imposed, it wasn't created by non latines or non spanish speakers.

You can dislike it, you can think the x is silly, that it doesn't make sense, you can say that not a lot of the latine community use it or identify with it but stop saying that NO latine person use it and that it was invented by non latines/non spanish speakers, that's a fucking lie.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not exclusively talking about Latinx (a term which some Latin Americans have adopted on their own but different argument for a different day); I'm talking about the use of the term "colonialism" in Drigon's original post, which is ultimately a shot at English speakers weighing in on any issue regarding any Romance language (all in a thread regarding the French from, you know, France...a colonial power, fighting over a gender neutral pronoun in French), as if the countries that these Romance languages primarily derived from weren't also imposing their languages on whatever unfortunate colonies they could get their hands on? It's both a matter of hypocrisy and trivialization, and it isn't really affected by valid concerns of Anglicisation, nor if you happen to be non-American.

Like, yes I'm American (I don't like it but whatever), but I'm also Black, so forgive me for balking at people who are trying to ironically get me to recognize some definition of "colonialism" that doesn't really matter to my experience as an also-colonized person and, once again, seems to undermine what that word really means to me.

Drigon87

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
It's both a matter of hypocrisy and trivialization
No doubt about it.

Stop with this lie, the x was and it is used by people from that language, it wasn't imposed, it wasn't created by non latines or non spanish speakers.
It started in Spain IIRC (with words like trabajadorxs), I used to see it a lot about 15 years ago in anarchist forums. But it fell out of favour ages ago and people tend to use other things. So just because the coin fell on "Latinx" in the US doesn't mean we need to follow suit.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
It's good if the term can help some people. Wide-spread adoption among the general population would depend on how easily it can be used with the existing rules of the language, and of course social factors. The latter can pose a bigger obstacle to inclusion than the grammatical rules of the language. In Germany, there is resistance against using more gender-inclusive nouns and getting rid off the masculine as the default atm. Many argue that it makes sentences unnecessarily complicated (it's basically just using both forms, so one additional word, or merging the masculine and feminine forms together where applicable), but many oppose the practice for different reasons (sexism).

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
No doubt about it.

It started in Spain IIRC, I used to see it a lot about 15 years ago in anarchist forums. But it fell out of favour ages ago and people tend to use other things. So just because the coin fell on "Latinx" in the US doesn't mean we need to follow suit.
Isn't it still work in progress? Doesn't it also mean that you might follow suit anyway?

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
No doubt about it.

It started in Spain IIRC (with words like trabajadorxs), I used to see it a lot about 15 years ago in anarchist forums. But it fell out of favour ages ago and people tend to use other things. So just because the coin fell on "Latinx" in the US doesn't mean we need to follow suit.

It has been used in my country for way long time and without any "US" influences also you said in your post "adopt something some other random language cooked up" but you claim that it started on Spain so that contradicts your argument because it still originated in a Spanish speaking country...

Drigon87

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
It has been used in my country for way long time and without any "US" influences also you said in your post "adopt something some other random language cooked up" but you claim that it started on Spain so that contradicts your argument because it still originated in a Spanish speaking country...
The claim in a few earlier posts seemed to be that thanks to the widespread use of Latinx in the US, people in Spanish-speaking countries would benefit. The reality is we have tons of other alternatives already in place. Well, people who are into that.

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
The claim in a few earlier posts seemed to be that thanks to the widespread use of Latinx in the US, people in Spanish-speaking countries would benefit. The reality is we have tons of other alternatives already in place. Well, people who are into that.

That person didn't said that, she said that people from Latin America use and identify with the term (which is true), they never mentioned that it was thanks to the use from the US. Please reread her post...

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not exclusively talking about Latinx (a term which some Latin Americans have adopted on their own but different argument for a different day); I'm talking about the use of the term "colonialism" in Drigon's original post, which is ultimately a shot at English speakers weighing in on any issue regarding any Romance language (all in a thread regarding the French from, you know, France...a colonial power, fighting over a gender neutral pronoun in French), as if the countries that these Romance languages primarily derived from weren't also imposing their languages on whatever unfortunate colonies they could get their hands on? It's both a matter of hypocrisy and trivialization, and it isn't really affected by valid concerns of Anglicisation, nor if you happen to be non-American.

Like, yes I'm American (I don't like it but whatever), but I'm also Black, so forgive me for balking at people who are trying to ironically get me to recognize some definition of "colonialism" that doesn't really matter to my experience as an also-colonized person and, once again, seems to undermine what that word really means to me.
I read their original post, and yours makes more sense now in that context. I think colonialism really is the wrong/incorrect word to use in this topic, given the historical significance of the term, and the crimes it describes. Imperialism to describe the "soft" powers or influences of nations over others is more fitting for this discussion.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Again, what is embarrassing is how cavalier you are about colonialism. You can be mad about Anglicisation of a Romance language without having the lack of perspective to compare what is, ultimately, the attempt to linguistically recognize non-binary people, with shit like slavery and genocide of Native and Black peoples.

Seriously, get a fucking grip.
thank-you-the-office.gif

French isn't France's anymore.
Holy fuck lol, this is so condescending. J'suis Québécoise câlisse, you think I don't know that??

This thread's gendered complaints are mostly from Anglosphere people wanting to pat themselves on the back.
I mean, not really. Plenty of us francophones are chiming in. And, again, this whole thing started because some guy called the criticism of patriarchal language structures "colonialism". Even worse, this is during a discussion over how we could make French more inclusive to non-binary people... 🤦‍♀️ If you can't see how bringing up colonialism in this context is inappropriate at best, I don't know what to tell you.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Topic: Fench people from France working on gender neutral language

Era ppl: Fucking English American Imperialist Colonizers

Oct 28, 2017
thank-you-the-office.gif

Holy fuck lol, this is so condescending. J'suis Québécoise câlisse, you think I don't know that??

I mean, not really. Plenty of us francophones are chiming in. And, again, this whole thing started because some guy called the criticism of patriarchal language structures "colonialism". Even worse, this is during a discussion over how we could make French more inclusive to non-binary people... 🤦‍♀️ If you can't see how bringing up colonialism in this context is inappropriate at best, I don't know what to tell you.

Et moi je suis marocain (et français), your experience as a québécoise isn't the only valid one.

On a suffisamment de mal ici en France avec les cons tels que blanquer qui nous font une descente d'organe à chaque fois qu'on essaye de faire du français une langue plus inclusive et pour qui un point médian et le pire cauchemard pour avoir de la patience envers d'autres cons qui nous sortent "lolz your non English language is weird, just be like English, better yet just speak English" à chaque discussion.
Ça n'aide personne et ce n'est pas bienveillant.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Et moi je suis marocain (et français), your experience as a québécoise isn't the only valid one.

On a suffisamment de mal ici en France avec les cons tels que blanquer qui nous font une descente d'organe à chaque fois qu'on essaye de faire du français une langue plus inclusive et pour qui un point médian et le pire cauchemard pour avoir de la patience envers d'autres cons qui nous sortent "lolz your non English language is weird, just be like English, better yet just speak English" à chaque discussion.
Ça n'aide personne et ce n'est pas bienveillant.
Mais... je n'ai jamais défendu les idiots qui nous disent de juste parler anglais...!? Et j'ai pas dit que mon expérience était la seule qui était valide, c'est toi qui me disait "French isn't just France's anymore" merde!

All this time you're just replying to things I never said, nor addressing any point I've made... I give up, this conversation is going nowhere.

Oct 28, 2017
Mais... je n'ai jamais défendu les idiots qui nous disent de juste parler anglais...!? Et j'ai pas dit que mon expérience était la seule qui était valide, c'est toi qui me disait "French isn't just France's anymore" merde!

All this time you're just replying to things I never said, nor addressing any point I've made... I give up, this conversation is going nowhere.
Yeah me too, bon vent !

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
In two weeks there will be people who will say they don't identify with iel becuase the "i" is too masculine or something, so they'll come up with a fourth pronoun, adding more rules and exceptions to the language.

Ahhh you were so close to hiding the transphobia but you just had to torpedo your own smokescreen

Appreciate it tho makes it way easier

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's good if the term can help some people. Wide-spread adoption among the general population would depend on how easily it can be used with the existing rules of the language, and of course social factors. The latter can pose a bigger obstacle to inclusion than the grammatical rules of the language. In Germany, there is resistance against using more gender-inclusive nouns and getting rid off the masculine as the default atm. Many argue that it makes sentences unnecessarily complicated (it's basically just using both forms, so one additional word, or merging the masculine and feminine forms together where applicable), but many oppose the practice for different reasons (sexism).
Absolutely. It'll be an awkward and likely slow process but it's good to see people starting to try and carve out a niche in language to suit their identity. It always amazes me just how steadfast some people can be over it when it's likely to never affect their own personal use of the language. It's not an easy thing to try and get around in ones that are gendered so some accommodating for people trying, alongside talking to those people themselves, will go a long way I believe. Ultimately non-binary people aren't going anywhere so it's a natural progression for these forms of language to start to be explored.

That person didn't said that, she said that people from Latin America use and identify with the term (which is true), they never mentioned that it was thanks to the use from the US. Please reread her post...
Thank you. That person is fighting ghosts of their own imagining at this point.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
"<generic masculine> allen Geschlechts"
or the perhaps the not as inclusive and not as sexy
"<generic masculine> bis <generic masculine>innen"
I just try to use alternative words like "teilnehmende Personen" instead of "Teilnehmer". To say "Teilnehmer*innen with * as a pause out loud feels strange in a private conversation.
But I understand that language should change and in german it is usually easy to avoid that problem by using different words when referring to a group of people. Also unlike in french german at least don't use gendered pronouns in plural and still has a third neuter form to make things more complicated (or being more creative with language if you will).

Oct 25, 2017
I would love for romance languages like French to do away with their heavily gendered aspects...

Mostly because it would make it easier for me to speak perfect French lol.

But also, yeah - it's dumb and needs to change.

Had no idea this was happening and I find it really exciting.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
Stupid question, but how would this be used in conjunction with a nationality?

e.g. How is "They are french" translated.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's still weird. I'm a French speaker, this shit makes no sense.
And I am a portuguese speaker and it isnt for me
doesnt mean it cant cause problems for nb people but I am totally ok with objects being gendered, in the end of the day it doesnt mean anything because I dont think a car is male because i use a masculine pronoun for it

Last edited:
OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stupid question, but how would this be used in conjunction with a nationality?

It depends on what the other person prefers. They can prefer "iel est français" or "iel est française" or "iel est français.e".

If you don't know their preference, the latter is the safest ("iel est français.e").

Or you can rephrase your statement in a way that avoids the problem altogether (for example, "iel est de nationalité française"; in this case the adjective "française" refers to "nationalité" which is always a feminine noun, instead of referring to the gender of the person directly). Of course, this way of rephrasing is not always possible.

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
To add to DiipuSurotu 's answer, iel can also be written ielle and as far as I know, both have the same definition and meaning (third person gender-neutral pronoun).

If you are speaking out loud, the first two propositions will work just fine verbally, but the third one is only a written abbreviation, to avoid writing both the masculine and the feminine form of a word. If you are reading a French text and encounter that form (point médian in French), I don't know if it's the best way to read it or not, but personally, I will say both forms. So, if I'm reading a text about surgeons, I'll read 'les chirurgien·nes' as 'les chirurgiens et les chirurgiennes' or 'les chirurgiennes et les chirurgiens'. I used an example about a couple of people, because I don't know if it's the proper way to read it if it's about a single person.
I read their original post, and yours makes more sense now in that context. I think colonialism really is the wrong/incorrect word to use in this topic, given the historical significance of the term, and the crimes it describes. Imperialism to describe the "soft" powers or influences of nations over others is more fitting for this discussion.
It still feels like a bogeyman and/or a way to deprive people of their free will, making them mindless drones under the influence of English speakers instead of people who have their own agency.

I can't speak for other countries, but in France, it's a conservative bogeyman, as shown by the current panic surrounding iel and the longer-lasting panic surrounding 'wokeism' among far too many French political parties. Woke is an undefined umbrella under where everything a conservative find repulsive will be placed (before it was islamo-leftist, who seems less used right now), and in their minds, woke is coming straight from the bleeding liberal US universities to kill your newborns, destroy the glorious history of France by forcing France to repent from its past actions, destroy manhood, etc etc etc. So, for French conservatives, iel can only be the consequence of an undue influence of the big bad liberal America (not to be confused with good ol' conservative America which they love very much, at least in the secret of their grumpy little conservative heart).

But if a language is gendered (heavily or not), finding a gender-neutral pronoun feels like something that non-binary native speakers will need sooner rather than later. If they are 'lucky', their language had such a pronoun lying in its basement under a big pile of dust, and after a good cleaning, that pronoun is good as new and ready to serve. But if it's not the case, it doesn't mean that the people speaking that less 'lucky' language were heavily influenced or pressured by speakers of a language that had a gender-neutral pronoun in its inventory … just that they needed more time to create/find a gender-neutral pronoun.

As we say in French, and to make Yam's happy, pas besoin de tortiller du cul pour chier droit (you don't need to shake your ass to shit straight … who said French wasn't the language of diplomacy anymore? :p).