• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
Source: AP

PARIS (AP) — Activists from a French protest movement encouraged supporters Wednesday to set off a bank run by emptying their accounts, while the government urged citizens to express their discontent in a national debate instead of weekly demonstrations disrupting the streets of Paris.
Activists from the yellow vest movement, which started with protests over fuel tax increases, recommended the massive cash withdrawals on social media. One protester, Maxime Nicolle called it the "tax collector's referendum."
"We are going to get our bread back ... You're making money with our dough, and we're fed up," Nicolle said in a video message.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a) They can't possibly set off a bank run
b) They'll end up being the target of thieves

This only seems like a good plan if you're very, very dumb.
would that work? wouldn't the government just insure it like in the U.S.?
I would assume there's some sort of insurance system, the big issue is that you or me are nothing compared to the desposit account of say, Boeing.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
He's trying to do it like Cantona. Won't destabilize shit as the banks simply allow people to withdraw a limited amount.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Solid plan, fuck everything up in your country so whoever replaces the idiot has huge problems to clean up. Genius.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a) They can't possibly set off a bank run
b) They'll end up being the target of thieves

This only seems like a good plan if you're very, very dumb.

I would assume there's some sort of insurance system, the big issue is that you or me are nothing compared to the desposit account of say, Boeing.
Of course, but I was assuming this was a ordinary citizens type of thing.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am convinced that part of the negative reception to Mr. Robot S2 was it completely eviscerating people with these types of delusions instead of entertaining their power fantasy the way it did in S1.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wonder how many of these groups are being bankrolled by the Kremlin

HOW DARE YOU WHY DON'T YOU JUST ACCEPT THAT PUTIN IS BORED OF THE WEST AND NOT ENCOURAGED BY SUCCESS THAT HE HASN'T HAD. WHY, LINDSEY GRAHAM CALLED HIM A BOOB.

Sintkles: Joined, Oct 2017, 45 posts, 33 About one anime.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
AlarmedSimplisticBongo-max-1mb.gif

France, don't let him win.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i mean...if you are dead...you won't feel hunger, pain and suffering anymore.

sounds like a fine plan.

/S

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
i mean no disrespect to France but i don't think France is important enough for Putin to put much effort on. It's too irrelevant as a country in terms of global significance.

Uh.

Like, I'm pretty sure as a major power in the EU that's not correct. If you wanted to continue to destabilise the EU after having a hand in the UK leaving, France and /or Germany are the obvious remaining big targets.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Were the fuel taxes cancelled? why are they still protesting?
Because many of them are dickheads.

i mean no disrespect to France but i don't think France is important enough for Putin to put much effort on. It's too irrelevant as a country in terms of global significance.

One of the 2 major powers in the EU, and there is very strong evidence Russia was attempting to intervene in their last presidential election.

Oct 25, 2017
Uh.

Like, I'm pretty sure as a major power in the EU that's not correct. If you wanted to continue to destabilise the EU after having a hand in the UK leaving, France and /or Germany are the obvious remaining big targets.

And we already know Russia tried to interfere in the 2017 election, and that Russian banks bankroll Front National (or whatever they call themselves now), which is public knowledge. Not to say that the Russians are behind gilets jaunes, but to say Russia does not care about France is demonstrably false. In fact, as far as we know, Russia interfered in French politics before it bothered interfering in America.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A few thousand idiots will max their debit card, have all their cash on them, and create an opportunity for thieves. What could go wrong lol.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Stupidity as it's finest.

" Yeah, we feel we don't have enough money to live so we're trying to destroy the economy of the country to make sure we struggle even more. We are very stable geniuses ! "

And yes, i highly doubt they are enough to do anything impactfull.

G.O.O.

Oct 26, 2017
the people complaining about not being able to feed their children want to do a bank run, now how does this work

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
would that work? wouldn't the government just insure it like in the U.S.?

Depends on the volume of withdrawals and hence the number of participants. I don't know whether the French government is insuring deposits tho. In the end it would fall down to the ECB becoming a lender of last resort.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017

France is a nuclear power, a permanent member of the UN security council, soon to be the second largest national economy in the EU (if the crash in Stirling hasn't made it so already), a key member of NATO and a military power.

I don't mean to be rude but your post is so wrong it's almost unbelievable that someone would hold that opinion.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm alt-right because I wouldn't mind the people finally standing up for themselves in America?! Huh?! I couldn't be further from alt-right lmfao.
You're alt-right if you're supporting the yellow vests. I live on France, I see those people every day. They think Trump is doing a great job.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very much resisting the urge to avatar quote here.

They're very much the French Tea Party, not something to be glorified- https://newrepublic.com/article/152853/ugly-illiberal-anti-semitic-heart-yellow-vest-movement
The Tea Party did great things. Horrible things, yes... but great.

Seriously, it's totally reasonable to respect a bunch of people for effecting change through massive protests without supporting the change they're effecting. Imagine if Occupy or BLM could have half the success and impact that the Tea Party has had?