• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

photonblack

Oct 27, 2017
Because people who actually live in France and have been dealing with this for 2 months now, can tell you that despite the façade of the 'working man versus the establishment' image that people from outside the country seem to have, this movement is morphing into something more and more extreme.

Before we just kind of laughed at them because they wanted impossible demands (more public spending, higher wages, but less taxes!), but now they seem hell bent on destruction for destruction's sake. What will satisfy them? Macon's head on a stake? Then what? Is that going to solve all their problems?

It's an angry mob and nothing Macron does will make them happy. He's not perfect, but he's not the boogey man that these protesters seem to paint him in very broad, childish strokes.
less taxes on the poor aka the gas tax. more public spending via more taxes on the well off who aren't suffering.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
less taxes on the poor aka the gas tax. more public spending via more taxes on the well off who aren't suffering.
Fun thing is that the poor tax is VAT and gas tax is touching better off people.
In France if you have a car you're not that poor, maintenance cost alone would cost you your home.

photonblack

Oct 27, 2017
Fun thing is that the poor tax is VAT and gas tax is touching better off people.
In France if you have a car you're not that poor, maintenance cost alone would cost you your home.
What about those who drive for a living or can't work without a car? Their incomes aren't going up I presume.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
What about those who drive for a living or can't work without a car? Their incomes aren't going up I presume.
They may not be in a situation that would be enviable but they're far from being indigent.
And again if they're in a critical situation already this tax would literally be nothing compared to the last increase of the VAT that happen fairly regularly.
I can get being a bit pissy because gas prices are high (and make no mistake it's really high) but against having literally EVERYTHING raise in price.
And for the record they were talking of raising just that last august.
Surely you can see how given the context of this thread

Looks exactly like that. I'm not sure what else it would be other than a random tangential observation.
If you're only following this movement through this thread, you're probably doing something wrong.
and come on, we've interacted before so you do know I do go on ontopic tangents fairly often.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
True, but wouldn't it still be an issue is a significant number of people tried to withdraw all their money? Technically, according to FDIC rules banks need to insure up to a certain amount, but I have a feeling most banks use some....creative accounting. Maybe that's just the skeptic in me

Banks pay the FDIC a fee for the insurance. The amount protected per deposit is limited though. Can't remember the exact amount.

photonblack

Oct 27, 2017
They may not be in a situation that would be enviable but they're far from being indigent.
And again if they're in a critical situation already this tax would literally be nothing compared to the last increase of the VAT that happen fairly regularly.
I can get being a bit pissy because gas prices are high (and make no mistake it's really high) but against having literally EVERYTHING raise in price.
And for the record they were talking of raising just that last august.
But it's along with the already high VAT. To working people, this feels like a pile on. Tax the real polluters the big agribusinesses not people already struggling. But they're part of the same class of Macron and his business history.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
But it's along with the already high VAT. To working people, this feels like a pile on. Tax the real polluters the big agribusinesses not people already struggling. But they're part of the same class of Macron and his business history.
Agriculture is VERY low on the production of CO² so you're not gonna do anything without touching gas really.
And if you think it's as simple as "big rich polluter and farmers are the real culprits" you know even less of the situation than a brain damaged boxer.
To begin with animal farmers aren't exactly rich, some actually only manage to survive due to EU subsidy.
I'm not sure you want to act there when the effect would in effect be negligible.
(Agriculture represent roughly a 10th of carbon emission of transportation btw).
The fact that they aren't asking for a lowering of the VAT above all else is rather telling in where their priorities lie too.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. This is about rural vs Urban.
Plenty of working people work in dense urban areas and arent getting hit hard by gas tax increases. The idea that only rural people are the "real working people" is just as bad here as it is when talking about US politics.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yup. This is about rural vs Urban.

Plenty of working people work in dense urban areas and arent getting hit hard by gas tax increases. The idea that only rural people are the "real working people" is just as bad here as it is when talking about US politics.
You know what's even funnier than people saying poor people can afford cars?
The idea that they can afford a driving license.
while in the US it's something like 50 bucks and a lollipop, in France it's closer to 1500€ for the whole thing.
Before when conscription was a thing, you could just have your license when serving for the army and that was a relatively cheap way to get a leg up,
Chirac killed that so now the only way are either saving up a lot of cash or taking a loan to get a license.
Interestingly that's something Macron want to make cheaper....because fuck that expensive shit.

e: Found a source saying 1300€, close enough
The classic driving school (auto-école) offer starts at 20 hours of driving tuition (the mandatory minimum requirement), plus registration with the préfecture and test application. The average cost of this package – and therefore of obtaining your French driving licence; assuming you pass first time – is around €1,300. The recommended number of hours before taking the test, however, is 40 hours, so most people find their final bill significantly higher.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
while in the US it's something like 50 bucks and a lollipop, in France it's closer to 1500€ for the whole thing.
Before when conscription was a thing, you could just have your license when serving for the army and that was a relatively cheap way to get a leg up,
Chirac killed that so now the only way are either saving up a lot of cash or taking a loan to get a license.
Interestingly that's something Macron want to make cheaper....because fuck that expensive shit.

e: Found a source saying 1300€, close enough
This is actually an issue in the US as well to a lesser degree. In Virginia Driver's Ed is taught in-school, you just need to pay for practical Driving lessons/testing, either from a public vendor (adult education) or private vendor (driving schools.) In Maryland, though, the classroom part of Driver's Ed is not offered as part of regular publicschool and it's a big reason people are much slower to get their licenses.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
This is actually an issue in the US as well to a lesser degree. In Virginia Driver's Ed is taught in-school, you just need to pay for practical Driving lessons/testing, either from a public vendor (adult education) or private vendor (driving schools.) In Maryland, though, the classroom part of Driver's Ed is not offered as part of regular publicschool and it's a big reason people are much slower to get their licenses.
Well that certainly doesn't make things easier but having paid for someone's driving school in Az, it's basically similar as far as what the school provides but the cost are also significantly lower and it's basically mandatory.
Asking a poor family to pay upward €2k for the kid to have access to the family car (because let's be real they won't buy another one) that is going to cost a lot as well is borderline asking people to drive without license.

Deleted member 8644

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well that certainly doesn't make things easier but having paid for someone's driving school in Az, it's basically similar as far as what the school provides but the cost are also significantly lower and it's basically mandatory.
Asking a poor family to pay upward €2k for the kid to have access to the family car (because let's be real they won't buy another one) that is going to cost a lot as well is borderline asking people to drive without license.
How much do people talk about that in France? Here in Italy a license costs about 900 euros and no one ever really talks about it in the political sphere, it's absurdly classist.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
If there is one thing I've kept from a good number of interview during this whole protest, it's that many midde class actually think they are poor.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
How much do people talk about that in France? Here in Italy a license costs about 900 euros and no one ever really talks about it in the political sphere, it's absurdly classist.
I'm not sure anyone but the driving schools (that are planning to protest that move btw) are aware of this.
Otherwise it's basically seen like rite of passage and a cost to take care of when you have a kid.
I've seen horror stories about some driving schools so on top of that if you're unlucky you can be left with a lot of bills and driving limbo too.
I don't think anyone but the current govt ever tried anything related to that, if anything the political class usually side with the driving schools...then again they're basically rich so why would they care about that...

If there is one thing I've kept from a good number of interview during this whole protest, it's that many midde class actually think they are poor.
They don't just think they are poor they also actively do not care about anyone poorer as well.