• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
fantastic, another horror game.
Mmn-hmn, I'm excited!

Though if you want not a horror game, they're working on a non-horror narrative game as well which should released a bit after this game (both this game and that game were in development at the same time for the last five years, they announced a year ago the horror game would end up releasing first though).

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
That short clip makes it seem like it'll be another story focusing on existential stuff like personal identity, like Soma. Which I never actually finished now that I think about it... I should go do that.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Count me in !
SOMA was amazing !
Just wish that they added VR support to their games, their games would be on another level in VR...

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Count me in !
SOMA was amazing !
Just wish that they added VR support to their games, their games would be on another level in VR...

Yeah, I think I was waiting in hopes they'd add a psvr mode for Soma after I got one. Maybe they'll make this one VR compatible since it's more of a thing now.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome, can't wait. I would also like to see their take on VR given how early they were on the "physicalize everything" bandwagon, but I'm interested either way.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds and looks excellent as always. Can't wait to get spooked. Already to excited to learn Tasi's story. Even more hyped for the setting, and to try a horror game made by these devs in a less claustrophobic setting than Amnesia or SOMA

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
SOMA was amazing and has earned it's place in my top 50, so I'm always looking out for whatever they do next.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
SOMA's cool, hope they don't write the protagonist as a clueless moron this time around though.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
SOMA's cool, hope they don't write the protagonist as a clueless moron this time around though.
Simon was written to be a reflection of how most people would handle the sudden epiphany that their consciousness is an illusion and there is no ephemeral soul. The natural reaction would be shock and disbelief, a natural bias toward one's own subjectivity. I agree it felt frustrating at times but it is 100% true to character.

SOMA's writing was superb and largely under-appreciated.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I wish these guys would dip their toes in survival horror games that mirror RE

Monstress

Sep 9, 2019
The simulation part in SOMA still haunts my mind today so I'm totally in for another Frictional game.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
After Penumbra, Amnesia, and Soma, I am so down for any horror game this studio puts out . I wish they would try their hand at a third person perspective though

As an aside, if anyone wants some really fascinating insight into studio lead Thomas Grip's philosophy on horror as a genre, their blog is a really fascinating read: https://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/

Mmn-hmn, I'm excited!

Though if you want not a horror game, they're working on a non-horror narrative game as well which should released a bit after this game (both this game and that game were in development at the same time for the last five years, they announced a year ago the horror game would end up releasing first though).

Source on the second title being a non-horror narrative game? I knew they were working on two titles, but I thought the first was going to be a horror game in the vein of Amnesia while the second was going to be a more narrative driven horror like Soma. I can't remember where I read it though so I could be wrong

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Most interesting. Seems like an Amnesia-related game, but Frictional are great at marketing and messing with people's expectations so could be anything really.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Truly hoping for another game on-par with SOMA, because that was one of the best horror experiences I've ever had.

Oct 25, 2017
look interesting. Can't wait.

this thread reminded me of the early SOMA teasers. That's some of my favourite prerelease game media, by far

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Source on the second title being a non-horror narrative game? I knew they were working on two titles, but I thought the first was going to be a horror game in the vein of Amnesia while the second was going to be a more narrative driven horror like Soma. I can't remember where I read it though so I could be wrong

Sure thing. The site that hosted the original interview is down, but in 2016 there was an interview that confirmed the project wasn't a horror game:
www.denofgeek.com

Amnesia Developer Working On First Non-Horror Game

Developer Frictional has two titles in the works and only one of them may be giving you nightmares.

Developer Frictional Games is working on two new projects. What is surprising is their recent announcement that one of these games is not a horror title.

"We want to spread out on what Frictional does. We don't just want to be 'the horror guys,'" said Grip in the interview. It doesn't sound like the team will be working on a jovial cartoon platformer, however, as Grip did note that the non-horror game deals with "depressing facts about the world and making them into an experience."

As for what we can specifically expect from either the horror game or this bold new non-horror venture, it appears that Frictional Games isn't quite ready to say at this time. However, Grip did drop several hints throughout his interview, including his desire to replicate the way that SOMA got people interested in something that he was personally very interested in, and the idea that Frictional's next games will feature a little more traditional gameplay following accusations that SOMA was little more than a walking simulator. He did also note, though, that he doesn't currently want to make a project that's quite as "gamey" as Amnesia was.

Over time they've basically said one of their two projects is a horror game building off what they've learned from all of their games, while the other is a narrative game, though the narrative game is about "depressing facts about the world and making them into an experience."

This game revealed now is the horror game, Frictional said about a year ago that they were going to be close to revealing a game, and the horror game would be the first one to come out.

I also have a personal theory this game may be a new Amnesia game, both by some stuff in the ARG, in this trailer, but also this year marks the 10-year anniversary of Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I really hated Amnesia but Soma is one of my favorite all time games ha ha.

Certainly very interested.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Over time they've basically said one of their two projects is a horror game building off what they've learned from all of their games, while the other is a narrative game, though the narrative game is about "depressing facts about the world and making them into an experience."

This game revealed now is the horror game, Frictional said about a year ago that they were going to be close to revealing a game, and the horror game would be the first one to come out.

I also have a personal theory this game may be a new Amnesia game, both by some stuff in the ARG, in this trailer, but also this year marks the 10-year anniversary of Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Ah, I see. Thanks for sharing!

While I'm totally comfortable with Frictional just being "the horror guys" I'm really interested to see what they could do with a traditional narrative game. Soma had the potential to work perfectly well as one if it had been tweaked a bit (I still love that we got a horror game in the end though)

Thomas Grip has some great ideas on videogame narratives and how they can be experimented with that them expanding beyond the scope of traditional horror could be really exciting (and depressing, in a good way). Definitely keeping my eyes peeled for whatever comes next, especially if it's a new Amnesia. The first one remains the only horror game I've been too afraid of to finish :/

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
I'm wondering when this will be released, presumably this year given the increasing amount of teaser info?

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's certainly a nod to one of the most important pieces of dialogue from the Dark Descent.

"I...am...DANIEL!"

Holy crap is it related to Amnesia?

I loved Soma, but Daniel and Mandus are way better protagonists then Simon.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Add me in as someone who hated Amnesia but loved SOMA because of the environmental storytelling.

I hope this is similar to SOMA as well

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Wish frictional had more of a following :( sad to see this teaser and not even hit 2 pages.