• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Was just surfing around and randomly checked their blog for updates. For those that don't know they are the makers of Penumbra, Amnesia: The Dark Descent and SOMA. Amnesia destroys your nerves, and SOMA oozes immersion. Can't wait to see their next thing!

After 3 years of hard work, we are now close to finishing one of our new games. We want it to look amazing, and to accomplish that we need more (hu)manpower.

This is where you come in.

We are now looking for an experienced 3D artist, who will focus on environments and props for our upcoming horror game. Our ideal person loves horror, and is able to convey atmospheric environments and terrifying scenes through 3D art. The position is full-time and project-based, lasting for about a year until the new game is ready to be shipped.

Last day to apply: 4th of November 2018

https://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/2018/10/hiring-project-based-3d-artist.html

Oct 26, 2017
SOMA is one of my favourite games of all time, but I dont really think much of the amnesia games. Not sure how hype to feel! It atleast seems like they are now sure the monsters/terror gameplay mechanics are the worst part of their games, that are totally unneeded.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Hopefully more of their narrative, authentic excellence of SOMA but with more interactivity like Amnesia.

I generally scoff at most indie games I stumble across but Frictional is exceptional.

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
SOMA is one of my favourite games of all time, but I dont really think much of the amnesia games. Not sure how hype to feel! It atleast seems like they are now sure the monsters/terror gameplay mechanics are the worst part of their games, that are totally unneeded.
hype that is the best of the two worlds. In Amnesia... Way more than the "narration" separation of story that doesn't really make the mood that coesive with what is immediately happening in Amnesia, but the horror and gameplay/mechanics - The Interation and Puzzles / Water Monster / Chases - were supberb and scary every bit of all patrols and cat/mouse game. In Soma... and a strange and guessing game with deep intrinsic and thoughtful narrative and with characters living in the current world that help the narrative, but way more than the ineffective bad "enemies" that killed any fear/horror/suspension of disbelief that game had to give and tied to way more linear corridor pacing w/ shallow gameplay mechanics.

I don't want a new MISS like Soma did in what it didn't right ... it was a game i could almost play without unease at night and that means it's a so-so horror game in that regard.

I want a sweet spot.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Couldn't get into the Amnesia games but SOMA was brilliant, I can't wait to see what they're working on next.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I think the Penumbra series is their best horror offering. Amnesia was too formulaic and predictable and SOMA was more about atmosphere than actual terror. The Penumbra games also had the best characters.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Whatever it is, I'll buy it. Amnesia and SOMA were both incredible games, this studio is seriously talented.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really glad someone like Frictional still delivers quality medium-scale horror games in today's industry. Can't wait to see what they've been doing.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope they eitehr upgrade alot their engine or at leats use UE4. I mean using that same old engine from 2010 for an entire decade is kinda getting worn out and not keeping up with the new standards.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I loved SOMA and the first Amnesia but would really like to see their next game improve on enemy AI and general gameplay elements at least a tad. More complex puzzles etc. would be really welcome.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if their next big horror title will be shadow dropped this fall, or that it's been delayed.

"After 3 years of hard work, we are now close to finishing one of our new games. We want it to look amazing, and to accomplish that we need more (hu)manpower." - Oct, 2018 is when this was said.

Looks really chilling.

3d%2Bartist%2Bad.png

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully this will have deeper gameplay. Soma had a great story, but it was boring to play.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's really sad we haven't heard anything about this, was hoping for a teaser at Gamescom :(