• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
When we originally learned that the game fell within the crosshairs of this legal dispute, we tried to balance the creation of new content requested by our fans against the maintenance and bug fixing that our community expects and deserves. We attempted to do both within the limits of the legal case.

We've now been forced to accept that the lawsuit makes future content for the game, including alternate play modes, new playable Jasons and Counselors, and new maps, unfeasible now or in the future. Although the listed content types will be affected, we remain committed to launching dedicated servers on our console platforms and providing the continued maintenance and bug fixing important to supporting our fan base. So what does this mean exactly? There will be no additional content added to Friday the 13th: The Game.

This includes "Uber Jason", The Grendel Map, Jason Kill Packs, Clothing, Emotes and new Counselors."
http://bloody-disgusting.com/video-...-indefinite-end-new-friday-13th-game-content/

Here's a little summary of the lawsuit:

http://www.fridaythe13thfranchise.com/2016/08/why-horror-inc-and-victor-miller-are.html

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Legal Claim Brings an Indefinite End to New 'Friday the 13th: The Game' Content

As a film franchise, Friday the 13th is in serious limbo right now, with a pressing legal issue preventing any new films from being made. To make a long story short, Victor Miller, the original film's scriptwriter, claims he wasn't employed when he wrote the movie and thus is looking to terminate a grant of rights and reclaim ownership of the property. Essentially, Miller's lawsuit leaves the future of the franchise hanging in the balance, and whether or not he wins the case will determine what happens with the series. For now, it lies dormant.

Sadly, while the legal issues hadn't been an problem for Friday the 13th: The Game up to this point, that has changed. We've just learned that the game's future is also now uncertain.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/video-...-indefinite-end-new-friday-13th-game-content/

Man that sucks.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I find it really shady that they have known about this legal dispute for a long time and have continued to try and profit from the game as long as possible knowing that they were going to get shut down eventually, leaving the players with an essentially dead game

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/2...me-gets-caught-up-in-copyright-claim-lawsuit/
We've been following the Victor Miller/Friday the 13th lawsuit for the past year and today a new victim has been caught up in the crossfire: Gun Media and the team behind Friday the 13th: The Game. Because of the legal issues surrounding the lawsuit and claims of ownership, all future updates for the wildly popular online video game are now being shut down with no plans on when they'll be be back on track.

As the official press release explains:
"When we originally learned that the game fell within the crosshairs of this legal dispute, we tried to balance the creation of new content requested by our fans against the maintenance and bug fixing that our community expects and deserves. We attempted to do both within the limits of the legal case.

We've now been forced to accept that the lawsuit makes future content for the game, including alternate play modes, new playable Jasons and Counselors, and new maps, unfeasible now or in the future. Although the listed content types will be affected, we remain committed to launching dedicated servers on our console platforms and providing the continued maintenance and bug fixing important to supporting our fan base. So what does this mean exactly? There will be no additional content added to Friday the 13th: The Game.

This includes "Uber Jason", The Grendel Map, Jason Kill Packs, Clothing, Emotes and new Counselors."

Well that's shitty. Uber Jason was supposed to be next and the grendel map after being teased in the virtual cabin.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Wow I am super bummed. Play this game almost every night. I can't believe they're not even able to release the Part VI kill pack, pajama costumes and Uber Jason stuff that's in progress.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the full press release if anyone's interested:

Friday the 13th: The Game has established a loyal and excited fan base over the last year. As publisher/developer, Gun and Illfonic have made every effort to provide our fans with an authentic and great gaming experience.

As many in our community may be aware, a legal claim has been made which could affect all future Friday the 13th intellectual property. Although in the past the game has not been subject to any such claim, new content and material going forward will be affected. An initial decision in this case was expected in October 2017, but no decision has yet been issued. The court review of the legal rights is in process, but final resolution may take some time. Until the claim rights can be dismissed or resolved, no new content can be released.

When we originally learned that the game fell within the crosshairs of this legal dispute, we tried to balance the creation of new content requested by our fans against the maintenance and bug fixing that our community expects and deserves. We attempted to do both within the limits of the legal case.

We've now been forced to accept that the lawsuit makes future content for the game, including alternate play modes, new playable Jasons and Counselors, and new maps, unfeasible now or in the future. Although the listed content types will be affected, we remain committed to launching dedicated servers on our console platforms and providing the continued maintenance and bug fixing important to supporting our fan base.

So what does this mean exactly? There will be no additional content added to Friday the 13th: The Game. This includes "Uber Jason", The Grendel Map, Jason Kill Packs, Clothing, Emotes and new Counselors.

It's a very unfortunate situation, sucks for everyone involved and fans of the game. Hope the court doesn't rule out of favor for them and the content can eventually release.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yep this game is gonna get dead real soon.

I got ÂŁ7 worth of value from it, so not too bummed but still shady

Broken, buggy, regular issues finding a game and frequent muting required for many shitheads, but when it worked it had good atmosphere

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I find it really shady that they have known about this legal dispute for a long time and have continued to try and profit from the game as long as possible knowing that they were going to get shut down eventually, leaving the players with an essentially dead game
They continued to make content, dude. They didn't up and stop the moment they learned of it. They fought to continue. They're still adding and fixing a bunch of back end stuff too, it's just done for characters and such. Wouldn't really say it's a dead game yet.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
wtf

edit: just the other day i was just one button away from purchasing the game -- this game may be dead now. I may have dodge one here..

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Does it say what the legal claim is? I would be curious to know. Does it have something to do with the change of rights from Paramount to Warner Bros. ?

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
The challenges update they just did was really good too. The challenges are super fun, it's like a mini Hitman game where you play as Jason.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
Wow this sucks. Just jumped back into this game because if the single player challenges and was looking forward to the new map. This is going to kill the game...

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Game is dead then. Don't think the court is gonna rule in their favor.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Just so everyone understands, the copyright issue is with the Friday the 13th ip overall.
It's not really about the game. This copyright claim came about well before the game released.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I see. It's a claim made by the creator of the original characters. Hmmm... Interesting.

Yeah, the basics is the original script writer for the first Friday the 13th film is trying to take copyright of the whole franchise, either he'll win or all future efforts for Friday the 13th are on pause until this case is taken care of.

The case has nothing to do with the game itself, it's not aimed at the game, but the game is on pause now like everything else until the ownership of Friday the 13th is decided.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This sucks. I was a backer on Kickstarter and really liked the game for what it was and thought it had potential if they kept working on it or made a sequel. They deserved better. It's always frustrating when stuff like this happens.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
That really sucks, I played the hell out of this game around launch, and bugs aside had lots of fun with it. Hopefully they are able to come out of this alright and able to continue new content.

Phawx

Oct 25, 2017
Dang. My son is going to be a bit miffed as he was looking forward to Uber Jason DLC.

(worst case scenario I'll look into injecting that DLC into the game if they wipe their hands of it)

Sketchsanchez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear it's always someone from the og movie that keeps screwing this franchise. I remember the Georgetown group did some fuckery toward the remake.

Nov 18, 2017
Honestly this could be a blessing.

Building a new game without the Friday license would free them creatively so they can produce some original characters, levels and content that puts gameplay first. They should be able to afford a bigger team and use some of the mo-cap and assets from the F13th game to get a head start.

This project has encountered so many setbacks.

Sketchsanchez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Building a new game without the Friday license would free them creatively so they can produce some original characters, levels and content that puts gameplay first. They should be able to afford a bigger team and use some of the mo-cap and assets from the F13th game to get a head start.

I don't think people would play this buggy and glitchy game without the license attached.

Oct 27, 2017

They could, but, and I'm pulling this out of my butt here- I think this game was more popular than Dead by Daylight (which is kinda what you're describing, though they did license Halloween/Michael Myers) because of the license and playing as Jason/the campers. Fan service goes a long way to smooth over huge bugs and technical issues.

Which Movie was it where Jason installed Dedicated Servers?
Jason X

Nov 18, 2017
Dead by Daylight is less popular because it isn't about killing or escaping, it's videogamey - fixing generators and not getting stuck on hooks.

It's janky but Friday 13th's approach to a slasher game is so much better.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the devs getting another shot at a different horror franchise like Nightmare on Elm Street or Chuckie either given their performance with this game originally.

Sad to hear.