• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
It's usually more just acquaintances trying to be chummy that do this. With close friends we tend to be more aware of what/how much everyone prefers to drink.

But there's definitely an element of pressure to it. I can just not drink it, of course. But people do get called out for it which is a kind of bullshit element of drinking culture. So let's not pretend it's as simple as "just don't drink it."
This is even more of a reason to give a polite rejection. It seems like you have difficulty saying no.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck OP? Just don't drink it? If you're in a club setting just carry it and then put it down at the bar when no one is looking. The same can apply at a pub, lounge or restaurant. You could also not drink it and asked why just say you're not feeling it. Nothing wrong with the nice and expensive gesture of buying you a drink.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Happy Bivouac is this still china or some other place?

If you are still in china then I kind of get it, they wanna show their hospitality even though you've been there forever they still act like you are a guest. They also wanna see the laowai drink because we supposedly are good at it. If you have left china then I don't know dude, just tell your friends no.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I think you generalized a very specific situation, with a specific person or a group of people you don't really enjoy hanging out with. You do realize that don't you?

OP
OP
Spaceroast

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017

If you are still in china then I kind of get it, they wanna show their hospitality even though you've been there forever they still act like you are a guest. They also wanna see the laowai drink because we supposedly are good at it. If you have left china then I don't know dude, just tell your friends no.
Talkin about other laowai here in China. I think there is kind of a specific drinking culture that has developed around this particular subset of people. And there is a weird thing that happens where a lot of guys who live here end up trying to be "alpha laowai" moreso than they would back home. Regarding the Chinese drinking culture specifically, I'm not a fan of how they go about it but in a way it's more forgivable because it's got so many ties into how the culture functions as a whole.

I'm just sitting here with a pretty bad headache and wanted to complain. I swear I'm not normally like this.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
Buying an alcoholic drink for someone without asking them first is kinda shitty tbh. You are putting pressure on that person to drink something they may not want. It can seem rude or ungrateful to not drink it or give it to someone else in the group.

Don't assume people want your alcohol. Ask first. It isn't hard.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Talkin about other laowai here in China. I think there is kind of a specific drinking culture that has developed around this particular subset of people. And there is a weird thing that happens where a lot of guys who live here end up trying to be "alpha laowai" moreso than they would back home. Regarding the Chinese drinking culture specifically, I'm not a fan of how they go about it but in a way it's more forgivable because it's got so many ties into how the culture functions as a whole.

I'm just sitting here with a pretty bad headache and wanted to complain. I swear I'm not normally like this.

Oh yea that makes a bit of sense then. Lots of dudes out here wanna look rich and generous and alpha for sure. Look no further than our failed group chat and how that went down lol.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
It's usually more just acquaintances trying to be chummy that do this. With close friends we tend to be more aware of what/how much everyone prefers to drink.

But there's definitely an element of pressure to it. I can just not drink it, of course. But people do get called out for it which is a kind of bullshit element of drinking culture. So let's not pretend it's as simple as "just don't drink it."
It is though. Just say "nah thanks I'm good" and pass it along. I do this all the time when I feel like I've reached my limit and my friends want to keep drinking.

Even more so when it comes from mere acquaintances. I see what you mean by "pressure of the drinking culture" but honestly, fuck that. I'm not making myself sick just to look cool or not to offend people I barely know.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
This is a garbage ass take OP.

You can politely refuse and somebody else will probably take your drink for you.

Maybe get off your high horse first.

Trick_GSF

Nov 2, 2017
I'd love to see the thread you'd make when your buddy buys everyone a drink other than you lmao.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
ERA After Dark back at it again.

Seriously, just be thankful the persons being kind enough to buy you a free drink. You don't have to drink it, but it's the thought that counts.

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I refuse drinks all the time, this is on you not then. Calling someone terrible for buying you drinks is bs.

John198X

Nov 9, 2018
"I'm good. Someone else want this?"

Or pretend to drink it then spit it in that asshole's face. /s

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Someone offering something for free as a kind gesture, described as garbage behavior, is generally said by someone with garbage takes.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Drinks are expensive so I'd be grateful I had friends kind enough to buy me a drink. Even the whole pressure of drinking is simply sorted by saying no.

Now enforced 'round' culture I can get behind. People use it as a way to cheap out of buying drinks and I don't want part of that!

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just take it and say thank you. If you don't want it just go and leave it on the bar counter somewhere, the barman will notice it's unwanted and Chuck it down the sink after a while.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah, not a fan of people forcing drinks on you .If someone insists to buy me a drink I normally just go for something weak like a bottle of bud.

In-fact, if I'm out on a bender then I always stick to bottles. My mates can drink 10+ pints a night and still have room for more. If I kept up with them I'd be wasted. I'm a huge lightweight when it comes to alcohol.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Oh yea that makes a bit of sense then. Lots of dudes out here wanna look rich and generous and alpha for sure. Look no further than our failed group chat and how that went down lol.

source.gif

Seriously. Make more chinese friends. In most foreign circles in China I have been to.... seriously they suck. Americans trying to talk about their fuckfriends, Germans demanding cheese and milk everywhere....
Expat circles in China are (imo) mostly bad.

Oct 25, 2017
China

"Supposedly"? If your British or Australian you've got it in the bag in most countries.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Wat.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Had it happen to me at EVO a few years ago by a friend of a friend, even after I told him I don't drink. I just put the drink down on some random table and kept it moving.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Buying an alcoholic drink for someone without asking them first is kinda shitty tbh. You are putting pressure on that person to drink something they may not want. It can seem rude or ungrateful to not drink it or give it to someone else in the group.

Don't assume people want your alcohol. Ask first. It isn't hard.
Shitty? You're already out at place with the intent of drinking. How is it shitty? More like a present. It was free. if you don't like it, it cost you nothing and someone else would probably finish it. If it wasn't for friends coming back with random drinks at bars I would've never discovered many of my now favorites.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
Shitty? You're already out at place with the intent of drinking. How is it shitty? More like a present. It was free. if you don't like it, it cost you nothing and someone else would probably finish it. If it wasn't for friends coming back with random drinks at bars I would've never discovered many of my now favorites.

Everyone has different alcohol tolerances and people may not want to drink more than a certain amount for all kinds of reasons. Spending money on a drink and presenting it to someone can make the person feel obliged to drink it, as leaving it there or handing it to someone else could feel rude. Not everyone has the same social comfort level.

If you want to be generous and buy someone an alcoholic drink then just ask them first. How hard is that?

Oct 28, 2017
People here have a hard time understanding that a good time also means other people don't step on your boundaries.
Offering a drink is not stepping on your boundaries. You aren't being forced to drink it.

This would be like saying asking somebody on a date is crossing a boundary because apparently this person will feel obligated to say yes.

Oct 30, 2017
I've had this happen to me at a club last year when a female co-worker kept bringing beers and I got so shit-faced drunk that I puked 6 times on the way home.

Needless to say that ain't ever happening again.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I've had this happen to me at a club last year when a female co-worker kept bringing beers and I got so shit-faced drunk that I puked 6 times on the way home.

Needless to say that ain't ever happening again.

Well that's admittedly your fault for continuing to take the beers and drink. Why didn't you just decline and say that you don't want any more. If she was a good person, she'd understand. If she continued to pressure you than that person isn't someone you should go to the club with.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Why do people require ERA to coach them through the most rudimentary of social problem-solving situations?

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Like I said, in my experience this tends to be the case. You'll hear things along the lines of "just drink it, you pussy" which is obviously a shit thing to say. There are a lot of people out there who seem to think "if I'm getting fucked up, I better drag everyone down with me."

Thread backfired, obviously. I should have titled it "being pressured to drink when you don't want to."

Tell them to go fuck themselves and you will drink if you want to drink. In the UK its pretty usual behaviour to rib and make fun of each other when drinking and you to learn to throw back as good as you get.

Oct 30, 2017
Well that's admittedly your fault for continuing to take the beers and drink. Why didn't you just decline and say that you don't want any more. If she was a good person, she'd understand. If she continued to pressure you than that person isn't someone you should go to the club with.

I know. That's what I mean. It was my fault and I learned from it. I did decline it at some point but I underestimated the effect of them and was already pretty drunk.

Deleted member 28131

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Can we call out this garbage behavior?

EDIT: I'm talking about when someone buys you a drink and then verbally pressures you into drinking it. In my experience this seems to be the case a lot of the time, but maybe I'm just unfortunate enough to frequently end up drinking with terrible people. I should have made this clear.

Buying someone a drink is "garbage behaviour" now?

giphy.gif

If they're so terrible why are you out with them?

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Everyone has different alcohol tolerances and people may not want to drink more than a certain amount for all kinds of reasons. Spending money on a drink and presenting it to someone can make the person feel obliged to drink it, as leaving it there or handing it to someone else could feel rude. Not everyone has the same social comfort level.

If you want to be generous and buy someone an alcoholic drink then just ask them first. How hard is that?
No more hard than just saying, no thanks, I'm good.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Weird topic , just say no or take the drink and leave it somewhere. People calling this garbage behavior are being silly.