• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Schwarzbier

Nov 14, 2017
New Jersey
Don't be a pussy and refuse...

I'm kidding of course, but as many others have advised, simply say no. If your friends are not cool with it you need new friends. I have a friend or two who may go this route, but they respect me enough to take a real no for an answer.

I have faith in you OP

OP
OP
Spaceroast

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
Man y'all are acting like I throw a tantrum in the bar when someone gives me a free drink. I generally just take it happily and drink it while thinking "goddamn I'm gonna regret this."

I do blame myself entirely for not just politely declining and letting someone else have it. I shouldn't worry so much about rejecting the goodwill of others if deep down I really don't want it. I apologize for the dumb thread.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Love the passive aggressive "Friends" in quotes in the title.

Just don't drink it. I generally do drink a freebie but if I don't want it I'll just say "Cheers, I appreciate the offer but I've had enough." Someone else will soon take it.

Oct 28, 2017
What the hell has happened to common sense?
Well first of all when you buy a round just ask everyone what they want. Not doing this is dumb, wasteful and awkward.
Secondly: buying rounds is like a peer pressure in it self (or at least to me, as I don't want to be the freeloader who didn't pay...again). Of course there will jokes on you and peer pressure when you say you had enough, cuz everyone is Don't be a drama queen about it and just aks for a non alcoholic drink or keep saying no.

Ignis

Oct 27, 2017
How old are you OP? 17? Srs question, if you don't want it just say no. You're an adult.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
You feel so strongly about not being offered a free drink you didn't ask for, but lack the courage to just say you don't want it.

OP, have you considered that you might be the bad "friend"?

Roland Garros

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 9, 2019
I seriously think there needs to be a feature where people have to wait an hour after they draft a thread, forcing them to reread the post and mull whether it's a good idea or not. 😅

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
It's annoying as hell... But even I do this from time to time, when you are in good mood and drunk as hell, then you kinda assume everyone will drink with you. Same time, I don't get offended if my friends don't want the drink, I'll just drink it or leave it at the table. If I'm offered uncalled drink, then I don't usually drink it and nobody is offended.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I seriously think there needs to be a feature where people have to wait an hour after they draft a thread, forcing them to reread the post and mull whether it's a good idea or not. 😅
But then we'd get way less dumb threads where everyone in it calls the op a prat.

I can see the upside, but these people won't get the talking to they need otherwise.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, fuck generous people.

Anyway, I'm that guy who always is first to chime in when someone doesn't want their freebie. I'll have it.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
OP getting torn apart. I'll join in. Just say no. This isn't a frat

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How I imagine the OP on drinking nights
wR7G5bN.gif

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
As an Adult i feel utterly empowered to say "Christ mate i don't want a Rum and Coke, you drink it" "nah mate you drink it, are you chicken?" begins chanting "DOWN IT DOWN IT DOWN IT" people join in and the peer pressure is reverse
Or just don't drink it, give it to someone else, ask them to not buy you that drink etc

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
despite being an introvert around people until I've gotten to know them this place makes me feel l've mastered social interaction at times

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Peer pressure is a real thing, but I don't think this is that? You can say "No, thanks, I'm done" and I'm sure someone else will happily take care of your intended drink for you. It's no biggie.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I find this somewhat annoying when my friends do it, however not enough that I would define it as "garbage behavior" or define my friends as "friends". A "naw, I'm good for right now" usually gets them to simmer down on the idea. And if they still buy me a drink anyway, well their money, not mine; they can't force me to drink it.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man y'all are acting like I throw a tantrum in the bar when someone gives me a free drink. I generally just take it happily and drink it while thinking "goddamn I'm gonna regret this."

I do blame myself entirely for not just politely declining and letting someone else have it. I shouldn't worry so much about rejecting the goodwill of others if deep down I really don't want it. I apologize for the dumb thread.
No, you decided to post on an online forum to throw a tantrum instead of declining an unwanted drink or hanging out with people who don't actively insult you because you don't want it. Social interactions like this aren't difficult, OP. It's a friendly gesture. Not "garbage" as you put it. If the person is offended by you declining or happens to act like a douche, they weren't worth your time to begin with.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wow that really is garbage behavior

the nerve of the guy, buying you a drink for free

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Friends buying you a drink or a shot (shots tend to be way more common in my experience) is just a part of life.

Friendly nagging to get you to drink said drink or shot is also so god damn common that I don't know why anyone is upset.

Let me know when they hold you down and pry open your mouth and then we can talk about there being an issue. Or if they know you're an alcoholic recovering or otherwise.