• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Don't just list names, and mention the game it's from, please

This isn't my number one choice, but it's the most recent one I encountered. The God-beast of the Dark Mana Stone in Seiken Densetsu 3, Zable-Fahr, is a pretty scary looking... thing.

hqdefault.jpg

Two towering demon heads with a third, female head popping up midway through the battle.

I think what really sells this boss isn't its appearance, though. It's the only God-beast directly mentioned before the eight of them are set free, and it's mentioned as having tried to destroy the world in the past, causing its stone to have to be destroyed. The narrative immediately places it as especially threatening compared to the others, who are already powerful, world ending threats in their own right. And while you can tackle the God-beasts in any order, Zable-Fahr must be the last one you fight. The other God-beasts all have a proper buildup to their fight, but this one takes you by surprise in the middle of a dark cave, transporting you to some sort of hell dimension while you fight it. The music during the fight is also incredibly ominous.

There are a lot of Satan-esque analogues in RPGs, but this one stood out to me because of its buildup and presentation, not only its appearance.

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The big skeleton dude from SNES Contra scared me as a kid.

images

Nightmare from Metroid Fusion can be a bit scary too.

maxresdefault.jpg

On mobile right now, will add pics in a bit.

Last edited:

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In Space Harrier one of the bosses is just a bunch of floating stone heads. And for some reason as A kid it creeped the fuck out of me

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
And shout-out to Andross from Star Fox 64 for scaring the shit out of me as a kid and making me turn the N64 off in fear.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Andross in Star Fox 64 scared the crap out of me as a kid and it took me an incredible amount of playthroughs before I could make it to the end of the game without turning off the console

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Andross in Star Fox 64 scared the crap out of me as a kid and it took me an incredible amount of playthroughs before I could make it to the end of the game without turning off the console

The robot head was intense enough. When the tentacle brain with eyeballs showed up I think I just noped out and turned it off.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
First boss in the first dungeon as adult link in oot. The dude that ran through the paintings. That spooked me a little

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
Myria in BoF III. It was this creepy-ass body horror thing. In her attack Holocaust, her face would melt off and then blast you. (Awesome 2D animation though!)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018
Not a boss per se, but my earliest memory of being freaked out by a video game was from Space Fury on ColecoVision. Particularly by this scary-ass mofo:

fury3.gif

af34c57425b462c1db0bb247c9d278b5.jpg

Other than that, Final Fantasy V's Exdeath (in tree form) is pretty gnarly:

latest

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Something about Unknown from Kingdom Hearts Final Mix always creeped me out.

Maybe because his dialogue just flashed in the screen instead of spoken like everyone else.

Of course, once his identity was revealed in the second game you can't help but laugh at his hammy voice acting.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The final boss from the old Sega Genesis game Skeleton Krew scared me as a kid. You have to blow off his legs and some blood starts spraying out and that REALLY bothered me back then too. I still haven't shaken that feeling I got from that boss 20 years later. Pulling up a video of it now, the blood is minimal and not bad at all. I kinda wish I could be that naive kid again.

Should be timestamped but if not, the final boss shows up around 4:11 in the video.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Star Dream from Kirby Planet Robobot

Don't get me wrong, it's not scary in the conventional sense and it's an awesome boss, but once you know what's actually happening during the battle it does start to get quite... unsettling. On a conceptual level

A machine slowly consuming and overwriting the soul of the broken man trapped inside it until there is nothing left. A machine that Haltmann himself created in the hope of getting his daughter back. You can hear his ghastly screams during the battle itself.

Also, honorable mention for Star Allies, which features ritual suicide and a final boss who attacks you by using the corpse of his lover as a projectile

Last edited:

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Star Dream from Kirby Planet Robobot

Don't get me wrong, it's not scary in the conventional sense and it's an awesome boss, but once you know what's actually happening during the battle it does start to get quite... unsettling. On a conceptual level

A machine slowly consuming and overwriting the soul of the broken man trapped inside it until there is nothing left. A machine that Haltmann himself created in the hope of getting his daughter back. You can hear the ghastly screams during the battle itself.

Also, honorable mention for Star Allies, which features ritual suicide and a final boss who attacks you by using the corpse of his lover as a projectile
It's following the old anime tradition of giant robot versus philosophical horror, which is great.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I can probably list several enemies in Monster Hunter. It is unfortunate that in MHW I didn't any of the same sort of intimidation as seeing some of the new monsters in the older games, perhaps Nergigante at some points or even Bazel the first few times.

Rajang probably terrified me for the longest time in MHFU. He is a big, angry bully that can be intimidating as hell. Pretty much purely muscle and if jho is always hungry then Rajang seems like the Hulk, always angry but can also get angrier.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
The alien in Echo the Dolphin scared the crap out of me as a kid. I was not expecting anything like that in a seemingly innocent and cute game about a dolphin.

2112.jpg

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Vamp from MGS2 freaked me out with how fast he was as well as his voice acting.

In MGS3 The End was more of a tense scary and The Sorrow. The Sorrow was definitely creepy.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
760e7500bb177e7275aeb2a6ebeeb4cf9190d4c1_hq.gif

Undertale. Not going to name the boss because you should find out for yourself.
Like, what the fuck.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of people mentioning Nightmare but honestly I wouldn't blame anyone for actually considering Metroid Fusion a horror game.

Like, damn, the sense of dread that game made me feel even as a GBA game....