• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Can we assume that from now on, each console is going to have a release model, a budget model, and a "better graphics/storage/hardware model?Does it mean it will be better to wait for a few months/years before getting a system?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
revisions are common in the industry because more often than not the revisions allow for any unforeseen issues with the original design to be resolved, allows for cheaper parts and production on a large scale (smaller consoles means less parts and cheaper shipping), which in turn makes the console more "future-proof" when the company decides to reduce the price to make it more attractive later

i can't say for sure that there will always be a "Pro" console, however. depending on the situation the console maker might just move on to a new generation instead

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Consoles have always gone through revisions to reduce costs or improve ergonomics/features.

The PS4 Pro and XB1X are exceptions in that the performance improvements are so apparent, but I wouldn't count on the same timeline next generation. I think it's at least as likely that there will be a "PS6" three years after the PS5 as a PS5 "Pro", somewhat like how phones are refreshed (but every three years instead of every single year).

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I can see next gen consoles launching with 2 versions, similar to mobiles

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Consoles have always gone through revisions to reduce costs or improve ergonomics/features.

The PS4 Pro and XB1X are exceptions in that the performance improvements are so apparent, but I wouldn't count on the same timeline next generation. I think it's at least as likely that there will be a "PS6" three years after the PS5 as a PS5 "Pro", somewhat like how phones are refreshed (but every three years instead of every single year).
Ha, no way. Gens are getting longer, not shorter. 2028-2030 for PS6.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Remains to be seen if we get Pro models again but refinements, smaller versions, I guess likely like the last two gens. Don't believe we will get multiple launch versions, simplicity all the way.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
an example of a 'budget consoles' would probably be something like the Wii 201 that cut GameCube functionality and Online functionality completely so they could sell it very cheaply

Nintendo_Wii_Mini_35831290_01.jpg

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
even though that wii was lacking what i wanted (gamecube support), I almost bought one anyways because I love top loading consoles and matte finishes

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Wii Mini was such a weird console to me. Did that have any success? I just can't imagine anyone wanting that for anything other than its looks.

To answer the thread, as far as I'm concerned, I buy consoles when there are enough games I want to play and the money's right. No sense in worrying about future revisions.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
With the slowing pace of transistor shrinkage and the accompanying performance / energy-efficiency gains, I think Next-Gen might go the distance, with MAAAAYBE one revision focused on cost cutting of commodity parts rather than shrunk internals. 4nm is going to take some time if it is anything like the transition to 7nm, and there's not much headroom below 4nm withoout a monumental breakthrough in semiconductor materials.

I guess it depends on where the market is in 4-5 years, and whether the next gen consoles are underpowered or bottlenecked in some way like current gen.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
The Wii Mini was such a weird console to me. Did that have any success? I just can't imagine anyone wanting that for anything other than its looks.
i imagine it did what nintendo needed it to do, aka be cheap to manufacture and fill a hole in the market at the end of the Wii's lifecycle

Wii had a massive secondhand market for it's consoles, so the Wii Mini was more competing with used Wii's: get a used Wii for $99, or get a Wii Mini with Wii Sports and Mario Kart for $150 ($99 for just the console itself i think)

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
"Budget Model" Is usually just a revision of the base model 2-years down the line, so no.

I fully expect consoles to start going down the trend of [ Base / Pro ] Though which sets a dangerous precedence in terms of price.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope not because one of the points of console is so that Is so you don't drop several hundreds of dollars upgrading every 3 years.

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
What Sony and MS did this gen means I'm not touching either of their consoles at launch next gen. I'll wait for the more powerful revision 2 - 3 years in.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
On a personal level, I sure hope not because I'm a poor college student and can't afford a mid-gen upgrade, but from the way people talk about them I imagine the One X and Pro have been successful enough that they'll do it again. It mostly worries me if we reach the point where some games will be unplayable on base consoles.

Also I totally forgot about the existence of the Wii Mini. Woah.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
depends on what interest it is in hardware devs to extend the respective generation. if it's beneficial to cut it off early they will, if they need to run 7-10 years like gen 7 and 8 they'll iterate it in whatever way

i could see this gen finally being the fulcrum where they finally go "phone model" and just quietly phase out older software support. but i would've said the same thing ten years ago so, yeah, not something i'll stand steadfastly by

i think safe bet is expect a "pro" refresh at least

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

No, you c'mon. Famicom disk didn't even come out in the states, and PS2's expansion bay isn't the same sort of thing at all - no major spec differences. New 3DS is exactly the sort of thing that is different from now to then.

Sega CD had a completely different set of games, so games were effectively one-make. Games weren't enhanced, so games didn't necessitate designing for multiple sets of hardware per game. Same for PS2 expansion bay. Same for famicom disk system.

So really it's only N64's RAM expansion in the past as the sole example of this happening in previous gens.

Also please don't even bother responding with wikipedia articles. I am fully aware of these accessories. Next you're going to be linking me NES UForce and saying that also counts as the same thing as PS4 Pro... just silly.

I mean 360 had various speed HDDs, etc. Not talking about minor accessories with low support. Talking about generational makes of hardware with different specs.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
No, you c'mon. Famicom disk didn't even come out in the states, and PS2's expansion bay isn't the same sort of thing at all - no major spec differences. New 3DS is exactly the sort of thing that is different from now to then.

Sega CD had a completely different set of games, so games were effectively one-make. Games weren't enhanced, so games didn't necessitate designing for multiple sets of hardware per game. Same for PS2 expansion bay. Same for famicom disk system.

So really it's only N64's RAM expansion in the past as the sole example of this happening in previous gens.

Also please don't even bother responding with wikipedia articles. I am fully aware of these accessories. Next you're going to be linking me NES UForce and saying that also counts as the same thing as PS4 Pro... just silly.
I don't understand how this conversation got so hostile.

PS4 Pro isn't really that big of a leap compared to all of the add-ons. Its a spec bump, and just like everything else mentioned here improves the performance of some games.
Famicom disk didn't come to the US, yes, but its still a thing.
PS2 expansion bay does add more functionality to some games just like PS4 Pro.