• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Mifec

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
No need to post everything you see unless it's specifically related to FROM.

peiwen

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It's new it's just the second time he said he went there to play something.

Oct 24, 2019
I wonder how the music in ER will feel compared to their past games

On the one hand, I dont think it'll be as different as sekiro's OST was to classic souls considering how this title is going back to a fantasy setting and elden ring is likely here to replace souls so the two IPs wont have to coexist while sharing similar music

On the other hand, every other IP of theirs has its own musical identity : demon's using more chanting and being the most subdued of them all; ds3 having the most epic,tryumphant one; ds1 having some similarities to 3 but also being way more mellow and even ambient at times; bloodborne being the creepiest, going back to the chanting and using a real orchestra...I would expect Elden Ring to have its own style and I cant wait to find out

So far its just hard to figure based on the trailer and small clips from twitter but I like what's there

Epic bagpipe solos the whole time

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I don't even wanna speculate on that. Bandai has so many games they're publishing now, it feels like they announce a new game every week. They're publishing Cyberpunk 2077 in Europe right?

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Thinking of revisiting their old catalog again this year. Last year I finished Eternal Ring, Kuon & Ninja Blade.

Wanna try Otogi but where do I start Otogi 1 or 2? Anyone played them?

Gwenori

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
it's not unlike bamco and fromsoft to bring people to play their games but this is not it for 2 reasons.

1 - all major souls streamer are live with their usual schedule as far i can tell

2 - they only do that a few months before release and way after they release gameplay trailer AND a video of a full gameplay section

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
The last part of the TGA Ghost of Tsushima trailer is giving me strong Elden Ring vibes. The castles/runes in distance, horseback riding, open fields and camera works. If that's what we are getting from Elden Ring then oh boy i can't wait.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Watching this video made me realize just how much hard work goes behind making sure the world in these games feels consistent.
Not only in regards to layout but also the way vantage points are used to indicate scale and upcoming notable areas. It truly is a thing of beauty.
I'd say this is also present in Bloodborne but its not as impressive because of how the game is not as vertically stacked.

I dont expect elden ring to be as vertical as ds because of the open world structure and horseriding (and how with ds they specifically wanted to convey the feeling of going down into the world) but I am certain they'll continue with this level of quality for world structure.

Also reminded how how many unique and fantastic places you explore in ds and expecting to have even more in elden ring considering its their biggest game.

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
Watching this video made me realize just how much hard work goes behind making sure the world in these games feels consistent.
Not only in regards to layout but also the way vantage points are used to indicate scale and upcoming notable areas. It truly is a thing of beauty.
I'd say this is also present in Bloodborne but its not as impressive because of how the game is not as vertically stacked.

I dont expect elden ring to be as vertical as ds because of the open world structure and horseriding (and how with ds they specifically wanted to convey the feeling of going down into the world) but I am certain they'll continue with this level of quality for world structure.

Also reminded how how many unique and fantastic places you explore in ds and expecting to have even more in elden ring considering its their biggest game.
I am playing through SOTC and I am liking more and more the idea of ER' s open world being structurally similar to it. The vertically , sense of scale and mighty architectures of SOTC world are something I definitely can see in a Fromsoftware game.
Also , the 12th colossus is really something that remind me of FS style and I can see some beasts like this coming out of lakes in ER world

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Are we expecting any new interviews from the Taipei game show?
Otherways, what's the point of having the game be there?What does sony gain from having a screen looping the old trailer?
Im sorry but I dont understand how these kind of events work. Seems to me like its geared towards consumers given how they are also hosting gameplay demos for other titles but I dont see the appeal of announcing Elden Ring will be there if its just going to be there e3 trailer and no new info.
Also this is the first even where I'll have some pressence since e3 2019 right?

Last edited:

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Maybe they asked for anything they could fill the show,even if it's the same trailer with chinese voice acting

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
Regarding roaming bosses, in this period I'm playing Days Gone (a very pleasant open world) and one of the coolest features of its open world are the roaming hordes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DaysGone/comments/etysz0/one_of_my_favorite_things_about_the_games_is/

You go around with your motorbike, and at night you can randomly meet those giants groups of freakers which are very, VERY dangerous.
The sense of tension and fear is real, the roaming nature of those enemies is what makes them so amazing and very well designed.
Can't wait to see what Elden Ring offers for this. I guess we can replace the bike with our ride, and the hordes with who-knows-what. Wow.

I'm also having a rewatch of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and I got to remember how amazing some landscapes/looks of the first episode are.
5d0e7350ac109eccb1c00070_tolkien-the-fellowship-of-the-ring-there-is-no-knowing-where-you-might-be-swept-off-to.png

il-signore-degli-anelli-la-compagnia-dell-anello-1563529542.jpeg

2f7bdf00d1e914fa73b0f82fa29dda97.png

Whoa.

OP
OP
Mifec

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
You go around with your motorbike, and at night you can randomly meet those giants groups of freakers which are very, VERY dangerous.
The sense of tension and fear is real, the roaming nature of those enemies is what makes them so amazing and very well designed.
They're dangerous for a bit and they have set paths, I finished the game recently and I genuinely would not a shred of it in any FROM games.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Well I'll update whenever there's new news or content as for Omni when he's ready. Life gets in the way and such and we shouldn't rush him.
Pretty much, as much as I'd like to be able to do this more often I've been stupidly tired all the time for weeks if not months now and I'm trying to focus on my wellbeing and real life commitments first and foremost and I'll get back to doing this when I can. I'll check in here every so often and don't mind answering some questions (within reason) but that's probably about as much as I can do for a while.

Farquaad

May 31, 2019
Pretty much, as much as I'd like to be able to do this more often I've been stupidly tired all the time for weeks if not months now and I'm trying to focus on my wellbeing and real life commitments first and foremost and I'll get back to doing this when I can. I'll check in here every so often and don't mind answering some questions (within reason) but that's probably about as much as I can do for a while.
It's important to look after yourself. Big question though. . . what is the origin of the new profile pic? Lookin' fresh!

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
I was actually rapidly scrolling through this thread looking for some of Omni's posts and wondering where the hell they went cuz I couldn't see the old pic. Ctrl+F ftw.

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham
Does anyone have any thoughts on the significance (if any) of the appearance of the characters in the trailer? The valkyrie looking character and giant guy on the battlefield both have vibrant red hair, both are above ground outside and the giant guy bursts into flames while the valkyrie looking one has skin that looks like it's starting to chat. Then the other characters all look like they are underground or in complete darkness and they have pale skin and nearly white hair. Could this imply two races of people, one subterranean -- which is why they appear so pale -- and the other on the surface? Then there is the pale looking guy in the concept art that appears to be wearing someone's skin. I believe Miyazaki said that concept art shows one of the themes of the game which is the ambition of humankind and that it isn't always a good thing. Maybe that art represents humans trying to become gods themselves by taking parts of them and using them or maybe humans are just trying to achieve immortality. I realize some of these ideas are out there but I can't stop thinking about this game, haha.
One other tangential thought I had was about how Miyazaki mentioned he recommended that people at Fromsoft read Fevre Dream which is about vampires; those red-haired characters seemed to be affected by being in the sun (like vampires) in addition to red being the color of blood and representing vitality. Alright, you may now tear apart what I said : )

peiwen

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Will their engine be able to handle an open world game?

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
Does anyone have any thoughts on the significance (if any) of the appearance of the characters in the trailer? The valkyrie looking character and giant guy on the battlefield both have vibrant red hair, both are above ground outside and the giant guy bursts into flames while the valkyrie looking one has skin that looks like it's starting to chat. Then the other characters all look like they are underground or in complete darkness and they have pale skin and nearly white hair.
I have never seen hair as black as the ones of the blacksmith in the trailer :)

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
I would assume they beefed-up/modified their engine to accommodate their open-world vision.

However, I still fear for current console performance. Sekiro's stellar PC performance has me at ease regarding the PC version.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
I would assume they beefed-up/modified their engine to accommodate their open-world vision.
Expect the same performance issues that sekiro had on current gen consoles,
If i recall correctly it was fire particles that made that game slow down a lot...there's a chance they fixed that but the open world and scale will likely keep the level of performance the same.
Honestly Im starting to think there's a chance they go back on their words and dont release on current gen. Specially if it doesnt release this year

huntsman

Dec 10, 2019
Omni, I have a question for you that you may or may not be able to answer. In previous teases you eluded to the fact that the user will have several options in passing obstacles in the environment. Did I misread this? If not, can you elaborate a little on this? Sounds more pen and paper oriented?

Thanks for the tasty tidbits so far. FROM games are pretty much the only games I play so I'm impatiently waiting for Elden Ring. Appreciate it bud.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018

However, I still fear for current console performance. Sekiro's stellar PC performance has me at ease regarding the PC version.

Elden Ring will probably run fine on PC and potentially on next gen consoles if it's cross-gen. There are tons of resources out with the popularity of open world games on how to optimize them, they will be fine. Usage of low res textures, minimal moving foliage etc. I'ts also already confirmed that it's not packed to the brim with moving parts. It's FROM's take on a more open game.

Also the "blacksmith" is definitely rocking that brown elvish hair style.

elden-ring-7-1560170416.jpg

Havel

Oct 25, 2017
So what direction do you think From will take the combat? Similar to DS3 but with some Sekiro-like mechanics? Or back to the slower-paced gameplay of the earlier games?

Okapi

May 31, 2019
I wonder who's working on Elden Ring right now... I mean has some of the Sekiro team joined up to give a hand instead of doing the DLC? I know they usually do several projects at the same time but I just hope they're not spread too thin especially since it's shaping up to be their biggest game so far.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
So what direction do you think From will take the combat? Similar to DS3 but with some Sekiro-like mechanics? Or back to the slower-paced gameplay of the earlier games?
This is the ultimate question right? That first snippet of movement and combat is what everyone is so thirsty for in a gameplay trailer.

I wonder who's working on Elden Ring right now... I mean has some of the Sekiro team joined up to give a hand instead of doing the DLC? I know they usually do several projects at the same time but I just hope they're not spread too thin especially since it's shaping up to be their biggest game so far.
I'm guessing it's the project with the most resources on it atm. They do outsource some of the work though and a lot of freelancers have done work on Elden Ring and moved on to other things. Hopefully it's in later stages of development.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Omni, I have a question for you that you may or may not be able to answer. In previous teases you eluded to the fact that the user will have several options in passing obstacles in the environment. Did I misread this? If not, can you elaborate a little on this? Sounds more pen and paper oriented?

Thanks for the tasty tidbits so far. FROM games are pretty much the only games I play so I'm impatiently waiting for Elden Ring. Appreciate it bud.

Depends on what exactly you mean by obstacles. Due to moving to an open world environment and expanding on elements of RPG gameplay you're going to have more options in approaching situations than you were able to in prior titles. Whether that be taking different routes to reach a destination or having more options in how you decide to engage with enemies. But I wouldn't expect anything particularly exciting in terms of how you the player traverse the world beyond riding your mount. I know there's been speculation and fake leaks regarding traversal abilities like bringing in Sekiro's grappling hook or high jumping or whatever but you're not getting anything like that here.

When designing gameplay systems From thinks not just about whether or not something works gameplay wise but whether or not something fits into the world it takes place in and stuff like that doesn't really fit the fantasy theming of playing a knight or a wizard. Some gameplay QoL things will be brought over from prior game where it makes sense as usual that will kind of play into the former (in giving you more options to approach situations) but I wouldn't be looking forward to anything major.

Though there's still a bit more to it than that, that does play into the pen and paper RPG aspect of things (part of the reason for the DnD namedrop)a bit but I don't really want to promise any specifics on those systems right now. The game is still in active development and a lot of things aren't finalized.

And to address something else I've been seeing: for similar reasons I wouldn't bother looking through Dark Souls 3 cut content to try to decipher what ER might be like either. When Miyazaki says "We're doing things here we couldn't do with Dark Souls" it doesn't mean "We're making a game based off of things we chose not to do with Dark Souls".
Based on the way the world of the souls games are built, there wasn't a whole lot of room to do dynamic world stuff or areas to ride a horse through because the games weren't build to accommodate for those sorts of things whereas Elden Ring of course is.

but I just hope they're not spread too thin especially since it's shaping up to be their biggest game so far.
I wouldn't be worried. This is an important title for them and they take their work very seriously and they don't want to release a broken or unfinished game any more than you would want them to.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
In terms of gamefeel I'd expect it to control as good as sekiro did but heavier and more in line with the knights we'll likely be playing as. Part of what made sekiro feel that way was that It had a bit of animation canceling right at the start of the attack animations...I could see something like that in ER but with a smaller window.
I'd imply a bit less commitment than classic souls but also a faster combat feel (in how you can be more responsive) without having to sacrifice the weighty attacks. Does this make any sense? Imo sekiro's combat felt so good because it was very responsive and the player had a bigger array of movement and attack options avaliable at any time. Hopefully we see some of that in elden ring.

What im certain of is that we wont see straight up ports of the sekiro systems. They probably want to keep both ips distinct enough so that they dont loose what makes them unique

The biggest change regarding combat will probably be horseriding. I pray we fall off when struck by giant foes or some other traps the smaller enemies will set up. I can only imagine how From will manage to make mounted combat feel weighty but also fast.
Honestly I could see them making the best horse combat system to date.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
In terms of gamefeel I'd expect it to control as good as sekiro did but heavier and more in line with the knights we'll likely be playing as. Part of what made sekiro feel that way was that It had a bit of animation canceling right at the start of the attack animations...I could see something like that in ER but with a smaller window.
I'd imply a bit less commitment than classic souls but also a faster combat feel (in how you can be more responsive) without having to sacrifice the weighty attacks. Does this make any sense? Imo sekiro's combat felt so good because it was very responsive and the player had a bigger array of movement and attack options avaliable at any time. Hopefully we see some of that in elden ring.

What im certain of is that we wont see straight up ports of the sekiro systems. They probably want to keep both ips distinct enough so that they dont loose what makes them unique

The biggest change regarding combat will probably be horseriding. I pray we fall off when struck by giant foes or some other traps the smaller enemies will set up. I can only imagine how From will manage to make mounted combat feel weighty but also fast.
Honestly I could see them making the best horse combat system to date.

MajorUnripeLamb-size_restricted.gif

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Though there's still a bit more to it than that, that does play into the pen and paper RPG aspect of things (part of the reason for the DnD namedrop)a bit but I don't really want to promise any specifics on those systems right now. The game is still in active development and a lot of things aren't finalized.
I remember being really excited when I first read about the pen and paper/dnd influence on the original post.
At first I thought I'd mean having more attributes (like a horseriding skill?) or any other new stat that will change the way we interact with the world.
That already sounds excellent but it could also be so much more...I hope the team manages to make the game they want with as few compromises as possible.

Also thank you for dropping by and I hope life gets easier <3

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Also thank you for dropping by and I hope life gets easier <3
Much appreciated <3
Can't believe we still haven't seen anything from Elden Ring, what the fuck.
While I don't begrudge anyone being frustrated at the lack of news or footage(would make my life easier), at the end of the day the less time between showing and release the more accurate of a picture you're getting of the final product. So, at least you have that to look forward to.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
You mean every FROM game sans SOFTS and I assume remastered?
Oh god Is it really that bad on console? I heard a lot of complaints abt sekiro back when It first released but dont remember seeing anything about the other titles. Bloodborne is the only game i played on console and I didnt have that much of a problem with the 30fps but I can see how performance could be better simply because they just had to develop for one system.
I hope these issues are fixed next gen. If not because of engine improvements because of the power that comes with the new toys

convo

Oct 25, 2017
They weren't going to be make miracles on current gen consoles happen, it running like Sekiro is an improvement over Bloodborne however. I will be down for the next gen console by the time it comes out. Speaking of not seeing things, whatever features that remain on the cutting room floor when Fromsoft makes stuff are usually pretty major things like bosses in DS1 and the scraped bonfire mechanic in DS3. And don't forget that NPC deaths in Sekiro were once for real, that was someone's merciful decision to spare a larger player base from certain grief.
This radio silence imo is so they don't repeat the mistake of promising features that don't make it into the final game, less uncertainty for the full reveal. With such a big game some things will definitly fall to the wayside. I am looking forward to what the poster boy/girl for the boxart is going to look like.

OP
OP
Mifec

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne is the only game i played on console and I didnt have that much of a problem with the 30fps but I can see how performance could be better simply because they just had to develop for one system.
The framepacing issues in BB are horrible even if it's locked to 30. They were apparent in DS3 too until the pro patch, with the pro patch it's like fluctuation 40 fps so no framepacing issue but uneven framerate.

Okapi

May 31, 2019
While I don't begrudge anyone being frustrated at the lack of news or footage(would make my life easier), at the end of the day the less time between showing and release the more accurate of a picture you're getting of the final product. So, at least you have that to look forward to.
Indeed! On the other hand I'm so glad the "Project Beast" trailer leaked at the time. It's really interesting to see how Bloodborne evolved from that.

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
Omni are you still planning on releasing the fantasy post sooner or later when you will be more at peace with your personal life or is an idea you discarded and from now on you will only reply to few answers and no longer hype bomb posts ? I really would love to know more about the creatures ( I really hope to find sea monsters since the " sailor and siren " part of your first bomb ) of this game and why you stress the fact that this game is more High Fantasy than past games. So I hope to read something from you about this matter when you think the time for us has come to gain more insight. Anyway good luck with your personal affairs!

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Omni are you still planning on releasing the fantasy post sooner or later when you will be more at peace with your personal life or is an idea you discarded and from now on you will only reply to few answers and no longer hype bomb posts ? I really would love to know more about the creatures ( I really hope to find sea monsters since the " sailor and siren " part of your first bomb ) of this game and why you stress the fact that this game is more High Fantasy than past games. So I hope to read something from you about this matter when you think the time for us has come to gain more insight. Anyway good luck with your personal affairs!
I'll get around to it and I've already got a lot written (multiple pages worth) but I don't really want to put it out unless I feel like it's got something of value or is worth reading and I'm not sure it's there yet which is why I'm holding off. Don't know when I'll get around to finishing it as I would love to and to put it out but I don't really want to waste people's time with an unnecessary wall of text.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Still in love with the guy from the artwork wearing flayed skin as cloth
This game is going to have some beautiful designs

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
I for one was sad to see pro mode from ds3 gone in sekiro, even the floating fps felt better than BB's wreck frame pacing. Sekiro was very stable for me.

If elden ring drops close to the ps5 im gonna wait to play there tho.