• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, what I'm mostly "worried" about is that they would use the same anti-aliasing and reflection technology that DS3 used, as I think those two aspects in particular made DS3 look much worse

the potato quality of these videos makes that impossible to know until we get an official trailer later.

Signum

Jun 11, 2020
Well, looks like "soon" was a lot sooner than expected. Haha.

I'm both very excited and worried at the same time. The trailers look pretty amazing for old WIP internal footage, but now that they've been leaked I'm worried that it'll end up being delayed even further as I know that's happened in response to leaks before.

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham
Well, looks like "soon" was a lot sooner than expected. Haha.

I'm both very excited and worried at the same time. The trailers look pretty amazing for old WIP internal footage, but now that they've been leaked I'm worried that it'll end up being delayed even further as I know that's happened in response to leaks before.
Miyazaki is gonna turn the car around

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, yeah sorry for the dead-end topic then, I didn't watch any of them.
I'm also very much hoping for Sekiro's excellent TAA, it made a world of difference. For what is worth, the color palette looks very much like a continuation of their work in Sekiro. I'd be surprised if it's not using all of its updated features. Maybe they had to turn off some of them for last gen machines for performance reasons, but it'll likely be at least supported for current gen and PC, I imagine.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also very much hoping for Sekiro's excellent TAA, it made a world of difference. For what is worth, the color palette looks very much like a continuation of their work in Sekiro. I'd be surprised if it's not using all of its updated features. Maybe they had to turn off some of them for last gen machines for performance reasons, but it'll likely be at least supported for current gen and PC, I imagine.
I was imagining this in my head ever since omni said it would be a brighter game. From what I have seen so far, it has met my expectations
DARK-SOULS-II_-Scholar-of-the-First-Sin_20151014014938.png
E03959BA021A7716C28B59FD756F00DA977733F4

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Considering that I'm playing a simple mod of DS3 over anything on my PS5 or XSX, a whole new world to explore and new mechanics will have me enthralled for hundreds of hours. Can't wait!

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Hey..just an off the cuff random question Omnipotent. Have you by chance heard anything about a bloodborne remaster/rerelease on PC/ps5.

been dying to play BB at 60fps.

Omnipotent

User requested ban
Banned
Feb 28, 2021
Hey..just an off the cuff random question Omnipotent. Have you by chance heard anything about a bloodborne remaster/rerelease on PC/ps5.

been dying to play BB at 60fps.
I heard the same rumors literally everyone else heard about the PC port, but I haven't been able to confirm anything through my own connections and sources. Furthermore the original rumor said that QLOC was working on it, Lance McDonald who seems to have his own sources at QLOC said that it didn't seem to be happening over there. That's all I've really got, nothing on a PS5 remaster or rerelease.

I'd love to see both happen as Bloodborne running the way it does is a bit of a disservice, but unfortunately I have nothing to share myself.

Guildenstern

Oct 29, 2017
I've heard from multiple places that a reveal is soon, just doesn't seem like there's an exact date on when yet, so I wouldn't say I'm contradicting Schrier and Grubb. Just because this specific trailer isn't the final reveal one doesn't mean that one doesn't exist.
Omnipotent when the official trailer will be released what points FromSoftware do you think will be aiming to avoid a Dark Souls 4 moment? And can you tell us something about the music?

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
Did Omni say anything about 2 different builds of the leaks? Because the moonlight eastern boss scene looks much better graphically than the other videos , is it known if it is from a recent build or if it 's also from 2019 ?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I want to have cleared up if I can, if you know Omnipotent just because I keep seeing this running around. That initial trailer that first leaked at 6 seconds and whatever else. I keep seeing it just shared around that that build is from a year ago. But I don't know what leak that's from.

I feel like that's probably a reasonable guess, but I'm wondering if it's just a guess that's getting shared around.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
Do we know for sure that the footage is older than a year?

I know Grubb said it's from last year but that could be just 3-4 months old for all we know.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
As far as I know yes, plus Omni said it's an "old WIP" trailer whatever that might mean specifically.

Hopefully it means this was the one for 2019 TGA

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham
As far as I know yes, plus Omni said it's an "old WIP" trailer whatever that might mean specifically.

Hopefully it means this was the one for 2019 TGA

This is what Omni said

To say a few more words about this leak so everyone is on the same page since I see the usual conspiracy theories popping up alread

I'm going to avoid detailing how this happened, but I will say that this was neither a "controlled" nor "intentional" leak orchestrated by Bandai and Fromsoft to generate hype or something silly like that. It's your usual run of the mill leak. This trailer was made by Bandai for internal use only and there's a good chance From probably wasn't even aware of it, let alone in control of it. This specific trailer wasn't intended to be viewed by the public at this or any other time as far as I can tell. I will also state that while I have heard that a reveal is in the works for "soon"(tm), this leak surfacing now is merely coincidental and isn't an indication that anything is going to happen right this second. I doubt this "forces Bandai's hand" into doing anything sooner than they want as it seems like they were already made aware of the situation prior to it going public anyway.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
I know, but that still doesn't answer when the trailer is from. I'm kind of hoping that the overbearing similarities to DS3 are at least partially because they used placeholder assets/anims and such from DS3 which would make more sense if the trailer was older,

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I liked everything we saw. We knew for ages way before this was even announced that this was high fantasy souls-like, Miyazaki already teased it even before Sekiro dropped.

Still, I see quite a lot of new stuff that separates it from Souls, like the giant ass burned face casually in the ground or that weird castle/fortress/whatever it is.

I also think shit's going to have a switcheero like Bloodborne, but that's my guess.

I'm also hyped for weather effects and day/time cycles, I hope not only they look good but also be incorporated into the gameplay/traversal. And please FROM, make nightitme like, frigging pitch dark. Dragon's Dogma dark.

Omnipotent

User requested ban
Banned
Feb 28, 2021
One thing I want to have cleared up if I can, if you know Omnipotent just because I keep seeing this running around. That initial trailer that first leaked at 6 seconds and whatever else. I keep seeing it just shared around that that build is from a year ago. But I don't know what leak that's from.

I feel like that's probably a reasonable guess, but I'm wondering if it's just a guess that's getting shared around.
I know that it's an older build, how old I don't know exactly, but making an educated guess, a year doesn't seem unreasonable.

Omnipotent when the official trailer will be released what points FromSoftware do you think will be aiming to avoid a Dark Souls 4 moment?
I mean, its going to be a tough line to walk. Ultimately, as you now can all see, the game is going to look a lot like Dark Souls. It's a spiritual successor in the vein of Demon's Souls > Dark Souls but I'd argue that the jump between ER and DS is bigger than DaS and DeS. It was never going to be From flipping the board over. I think a lot of people are getting too hung up on the visual similarities between ER and DS3 and not spending enough time thinking about the actual differences in game design that ER brings to the table (Though to be fair, the leaked trailer doesn't showcase much of it, but once again, not meant for public consumption). But that's going to have to be something that From and Bandai spend a lot of time hammering home. I don't expect them to shy away from Dark Souls comparisons, they're well aware of what they made but I imagine it'll be more along the lines of "Yes, its a lot like Dark Souls but with this, this, this and this". While each of these changes may seem incremental or small on their own, together they add up.

For example we have Dark Souls, but it's Dark Souls with:
-A dedicated jump button
-An open world
-Horseriding and mounted combat
-A stealth system
-A weather system
-A day night cycle
-Roaming enemies and monsters

Then all of these things have their own intricacies and interactions. I mentioned the stealth system being similar to Sekiro's system, where there is a visibility mechanic but now it interacts with the weather and day/night system where you're harder to detect at night and in fog, giving you a whole new dimension of gameplay and options on how to approach a situation. You have tougher enemies moving into locations when night falls as well as the day/night/weather systems changing the mood and atmospheres of various locations. You have a world filled with spaces big enough for you to traverse on a mount and situations that will make that mount exceedingly useful, such as running away from those tougher enemies or other roaming monstrosities or going up against mounted assailants. Hell even a dedicated jump button adds more options in terms of level design and traversal.

And all of a sudden it's no longer "just Dark Souls 4". But it will be up to the marketing team to really showcase these aspects of the game and drive that point into peoples heads. At it's core it's still very much "souls" and that's always what it was going to be, not really sure where people got the idea that it would be otherwise, but there's a lot more to it than that as well.

Did Omni say anything about 2 different builds of the leaks? Because the moonlight eastern boss scene looks much better graphically than the other videos
That does seem to be the case but I won't discuss it any further than that.

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
Honestly, I liked everything we saw. We knew for ages way before this was even announced that this was high fantasy souls-like, Miyazaki already teased it even before Sekiro dropped.

Still, I see quite a lot of new stuff that separates it from Souls, like the giant ass burned face casually in the ground or that weird castle/fortress/whatever it is.

I also think shit's going to have a switcheero like Bloodborne, but that's my guess.

I'm also hyped for weather effects and day/time cycles, I hope not only they look good but also be incorporated into the gameplay/traversal. And please FROM, make nightitme like, frigging pitch dark. Dragon's Dogma dark.
I liked everything I saw but nothing made me fall in love or scream for joy. Resolution surely didnt help. Probably I just have to wait for the real reveal trailer for feeling this way

And yes, I hoped for pitch black nights like Dragons dogma too :(
Guess we should wait for DD2 next year for that

Last edited:

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I know, but that still doesn't answer when the trailer is from. I'm kind of hoping that the overbearing similarities to DS3 are at least partially because they used placeholder assets/anims and such from DS3 which would make more sense if the trailer was older,
I don't how old they are but there are some clear differences between the clips with the watermarks "confidential" slapped all across the screen and the clips that don't have it. The footage with audio is using placeholder & unfinished assets. Re-used sound effects and spells from Dark Souls (Homing Soulmass) that I doubt makes it into Elden Ring. There are also objects that are missing textures, unfinished face models and a skeleton model ripped straight out of Kings Field. This is a video obviously thrown together to show progress in some kind of an investor or shareholder meeting. It says Bandai Namco Hellas on them after all.

The door opening animation is going nowhere though ;)

Last edited:

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
I don't how old they are but there are some clear differences between the clips with the watermarks "confidential" slapped all across the screen and the clips that don't have it. The footage with audio is using placeholder & unfinished assets. Re-used sound effects and spells from Dark Souls (Homing Soulmass) that I doubt makes it into Elden Ring. There are also objects that are missing textures, unfinished face models and a skeleton model ripped straight out of Kings Field. This is a video obviously thrown together to show progress in some kind of an investor or shareholder meeting. It says Bandai Namco Hellas on them after all.

The door opening animation is going nowhere though ;)

I see, thanks.

Is it safe to assume regardless that the (foot) combat will be less different to DS3 than BB was for instance?

Res

Oct 25, 2017
I liked everything I saw but nothing made me fall in love or scream for joy. Resolution surely didnt help. Probably I just have to wait for the real reveal trailer for feeling this way

I'm sure From is disappointed that their game was revealed this way lol. Not only is it a WIP build obviously not meant for the public, but also has crap video quality. I remember reading an interview where Miyazaki was upset with the BB/DS3 leaks. Looking back it's interesting how sekiro wasn't really leaked

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I see, thanks.

Is it safe to assume regardless that the (foot) combat will be less different to DS3 than BB was for instance?
We are seeing very quick shots of the combat in the clips, based on what's there atm, yes. At the same time, I kind of refuse to believe that there won't be a new type of feature added to the grounded combat (aside from the dedicated jump button). All of their new IP's had it and I'm sure this one does too. They just haven't talked about it yet.

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
I'm sure From is disappointed that their game was revealed this way lol. Not only is it a WIP build obviously not meant for the public, but also has crap video quality. I remember reading an interview where Miyazaki was upset with the BB/DS3 leaks. Looking back it's interesting how sekiro wasn't really leaked
It's surely really frustrating for them. Game's hype grew dramatically since first reveal and , after almost 2 years of silence, the next showing was supposed to be glorious for them . Not a 240p audioless video of an old build ..

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
That's what I'd like to, I wouldn't want DS3 combat copied into ER 1:1

At least a few minor new stuff, like rally or resurrection

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017

I wish for DD2 next year. I don't remember when it was planned for in those Capcom leaks but I don't think it won't get delayed because of covid alone and even more reasons on top of that. But yes, I hope it stays true to the first one in that aspect as well as others too.

Regarding what has been seen in the leaks, following-day/leaks-aftermath mode: well, I don't need much more really to be excited. I want a new From souls game with some new things and that's what the leak tells already. For sure, I'd like a fully evolved combat system after having played Sekiro, I think I'm unbrearable with that up to this point, but I can settle for another DS3 combat system; I recently played DS2 Scholar and it was fine. What I like the most in these games is exploration at the end of the day, and the very last clip of each kind of footage (so clips #3 and #5) really excited me with varied and awesome environments and my imagination went wild.

Obviously, I'm curious to see where the image/capture quality, resolution bump and more work / finalized assets take the leaked footage to, but expectations are in check in that regard; it's a ps4 game probably as base version still. I'm just glad I'll probably get to play it at 60 fps on a console and that's good enough as long as it doesn't look like DS2 (which was in reality a ps3 game, not a ps4 one, so I think we're more than saved). I also think expecting this to look like Sekiro but with giant environments is too much of an expectation, because things in the distance always look bad in most last gen games and Sekiro probably already juiced most of what is possible with these consoles and this engine, but the leaked footage tells me that From artists are still some of the best out there and that makes up for other technical things.

TLDR: I'm hype enough. Bring on the real trailers already, and the release fucking date!

Omnipotent is there map system in the game? I personally hope there is none and From manages to get the open-world right without need of map at all.

I wouldn't mind, or even, I'd like a map like the one in Sekiro. A "lore map" that doesn't tell you where the fuck you really are, doesn't help with navigation, but provides some kind of context. It's nice to look at.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Here's hoping the actual reveal trailer shows some interesting combat mechanics, because this short leak was a bummer in that regard. Same roll animation, normal looking weapons, a move that appears to be your usual Souls backstab... pretty much all the combat related things I didn't want to see back lol

The world though... my goodness. Can't wait to explore all of it.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Here's hoping the actual reveal trailer shows some interesting combat mechanics, because this short leak was a bummer in that regard. Same roll animation, normal looking weapons, a move that appears to be your usual Souls backstab... pretty much all the combat related things I didn't want to see back lol

I hate rolling and I like shields. Got the first, didn't get the other. Still, there was a flail or something (and that's new for souls), and stealth is new (lifted up from Sekiro). I'm sure there are mechanics for stealth further than just let you backstab enemies and the effect time of day and weather Omni has mentioned having on it.
If there's more new things for the combat on top of that, other than new weapons with new movesets, it will be very nice. But I don't expect nothing too groundbreaking. I at least hope for some moveset that lets my character evade instead of roll...

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
I liked the architectures I saw , I just hope for some dense mossy dark forests which is something not shown in the leaks.

Oct 25, 2017
If there's a map, I hope it's a major mechanic that we have to actively interact with, and a considerable part of the game is either filling that map or interpreting it to make sense of it.

I'm not against the idea of a map in the way From Software usually implements all their mechanics and contextualizes them in the story, but just a simple medieval GPS that you stare at instead of paying attention to the game's world would be seriously disappointing. If it's there, hopefully you can turn it off, at least.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if equipment load will affect your jump distance.
Curious if you can swim in this game too, they did good job with sekiro considering that it was their first attempt.

Jul 25, 2020

I think that was a stealth kill rather than a backstab. The player was shown crouching a bit before that. Tho the usual backstab could also be there.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
There is a shield shown in the trailer. During the "Oh! You tragic thing" line. Can't say if it is a player or a NPC though.

Ah, didn't notice. Of course I wouldn't have thought shields wouldn't be in. It's a given. I just said I hadn't noticed them in the footage.
There's no evade in the footage but that doesn't mean my hopes are crushed already (unless Omnipotent chimes in to crush them lol).

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Seeing Elden Ring put me in the mood so I decided to play a bit of Bloodborne... the weapons in this game are just so much fun.

Also holy shit at this hitbox (look at the life bar lol).

WbrsaDn.gif

Here's hoping Sony has plans for this game (PS5/PC).

I think that was a stealth kill rather than a backstab. The player was shown crouching a bit before that. Tho the usual backstab could also be there.

It's certainly possible, question is if the game will allow you do the same while enemies are alerted for your presence.

Circling around enemies for cheap backstabs is one of the dumbest things in Souls combat.

Parmersan

May 26, 2019
Firelink Shrine
Omnipotent, you talked about jumping, stealth, online, etc... But there's one burning question I have. What's the world design like? If you can answer that. Is there a Firelink Shrine sort of HUB and is the world interconnected? Because I remember reading awhile back that there aren't towns or anything in Elden Ring. Which made me assume there would be a HUB that you just send people you've met to.

Thanks for all the information!

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Elden Ring put me in the mood so I decided to play a bit of Bloodborne... the weapons in this game are just so much fun.

Also holy shit at this hitbox (look at the life bar lol).

WbrsaDn.gif

Here's hoping Sony has plans for this game (PS5/PC).

It's certainly possible, question is if the game will allow you do the same while enemies are alerted for your presence.

Circling around enemies for cheap backstabs is one of the dumbest things in Souls combat.

BB is one of my Top 3 games of all time. However, I've become an fps snob so I can no longer play it. Really really hoping we get a patch for it this year.

Parmersan

May 26, 2019
Firelink Shrine
Ah, didn't notice. Of course I wouldn't have thought shields wouldn't be in. It's a given. I just said I hadn't noticed them in the footage.
There's no evade in the footage but that doesn't mean my hopes are crushed already (unless Omnipotent chimes in to crush them lol).

There is evading in the footage. When you see the player use Homing Soulmass on the Dragon. They roll towards it. Also the nighttime clip right after that one, you can see the player rolling towards a monster to avoid its attack.