• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
SO much to unpack here, things really just keep getting better and better as we get more info. A few random thoughts:

- Skills being discoverable reinforces Omni's "the game rewards you for going further into the map." Holy re-playability Batman. For those complaining about Sekiro's lack of builds.....here you go.
- I think Arm Man is the only Demi-God we've seen (look at how much gold is on him) because he actually has dialogue. Although it's possible we've seen 0. The fact that they are real characters with background/motivation will bring so much more weight and power to these battles vs "kill evil monster"
- 6 kingdoms confirmed. I'm guessing there's fire/swamp zone with the weird crater and maybe lighting dragon? Then blue castle and kingdom of snows. That's 3 unless the first is part of the open field.
- Map & fast travel. I will likely be traveling on horse only first run.
- Some Metroid-Vania restrictions throughout the game, but kingdoms can be tackled in any order.
Horse-only run sounds like fun

I don't think we've seen (too much of) the other lands so far.

These are what could be from other lands imo:

• Arena of the Beast-boss
  • The bearded giant guy was inhaling cold air so it could be another land (note that where the large hand-monster was ambushing us was probably still the first land because we could see the Erdtree from up close)
  • Blue cathedral, although it could fit in the first area well too because of the gothic style.
  • Screenshot where the player engages in mounted combat with another rider in the sunset
  • Crater with the spectral banner on the right has a slightly different looking landscape, but could easily be in the first area too.
  • Red-haired lady's surrounding has some snow on it, so that might be from the snowy-land (if there's such thing, because there that mountain peak with the large cauldron that has snow and also seems to be part of the first area because it's not that far away.)
Miyazaki said he hopes the player will enjoy discovering [The Demigods] for themselves, so it seems none of them were in the trailer.

Oct 4, 2020
Scotland
I think the approach to difficulty is really interesting. I've already seen a couple of offhand complaints from people saying that Miyzaki's comments and the build varieties mean the game is going to be easier but I don't agree with that at all.

The open-world formula seems to make it more accessible to players in that no one needs to be hard stuck. If you struggle with a boss you can go somewhere else and try another area. But I feel like this also allows them to make some enemies and bosses even harder than before, particularly with the freedom given to the player as it seems like a considerable amount of areas/bosses can simply be avoided.

Really feels like they're doing all they can to make the game approachable to as many people as possible without losing the difficulty that they're known for.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I'm actually surprised that GRRM was the one who came up with the concept of the Tarnished. I wonder how that back and forth went, since it's a concept that fits so well with From's style of worldbuilding.

I hope that once the game is out he can talk more about it in his blog and stuff.

eldenjon

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2018
Yep, same patterns. That means there's more than one and there's even two right next to each other near the dragon
*edit* nah you guys are right it's definitely those carriages. Btw, is that a 3rd emblem on dudes shield? Serpent?
51246840791_249ab360e9_z.jpg

51247595874_5d2649ee80_z.jpg
51247597339_972a50f60d_z.jpg

Last edited:

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
These bits of info already sound really interesting, I'm gonna have to read these interviews asap. Please someone threadmark the famitsu translation for me!
Also, bring that network test on, I'm ready now!! A bit of gameplay tomorrow night in the bandai stream would be really nice too, but I'm not really counting on it either.

Udreif

May 29, 2020
Omni hinted at some spelunking fun IIRC. Can't wait to dig deep into the bowels of the Lands Between. I hope we get this sort of "slowly descend into hell" feeling that we got with the path to Depths > Blighttown > Demon Ruins > Izalith
I hope we can only fast travel from very specific spots so we get the feeling of going too far deep into an area and getting to the point where the path back to nicer places seems just as difficult as the path deeper into uncharted territory.

Oct 26, 2017
I think the approach to difficulty is really interesting. I've already seen a couple of offhand complaints from people saying that Miyzaki's comments and the build varieties mean the game is going to be easier but I don't agree with that at all.

The open-world formula seems to make it more accessible to players in that no one needs to be hard stuck. If you struggle with a boss you can go somewhere else and try another area. But I feel like this also allows them to make some enemies and bosses even harder than before, particularly with the freedom given to the player as it seems like a considerable amount of areas/bosses can simply be avoided.

Really feels like they're doing all they can to make the game approachable to as many people as possible without losing the difficulty that they're known for.

Agreed. The hardest content is always optional/DLC anyway (Sekiro being the exception).

On that note, I do wonder what the penalty for dying will be in Elden Ring. Miyazaki mentions "retaining a sense of progression" and "keeping you encouraged to explore further", so maybe there won't be one, or business as usual except less punishing?

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
I hope we can only fast travel from very specific spots so we get the feeling of going too far deep into an area and getting to the point where the path back to nicer places seems just as difficult as the path deeper into uncharted territory.
Hear hear!

I really miss the experience of playing DkS 1 for the first time. I'm optimistic Elden Ring will capture and maybe surpass a lot of those highs.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
Agreed. The hardest content is always optional/DLC anyway (Sekiro being the exception).

On that note, I do wonder what the penalty for dying will be in Elden Ring. Miyazaki mentions "retaining a sense of progression" and "keeping you encouraged to explore further", so maybe there won't be one, or business as usual except less punishing?
Less punishing?

DS3 and Sekiro was a pinprick. I'd say only DeS was actually punishing out of all 6 games.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent. Has pvp been mentioned at all? I've read the interviews and only co-op is mentioned

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
Holy s**t, this all, along with the trailer sounds so much better than I was expecting when reading Omni's posts. Game of the Decade material...

The only thing left a bit of a thorn in me is Miyazaki saying it should take 30 hours, although I'm probably overreacting it, the "without taking too many side trips" must be doing a lot of legwork there.

For me, who beat DS1 in 60+ hours (w/o DLC) and Sekiro in 40+, I'd expect at least 80-100 hours exploring all or most of the stuff. Or probably much more if I stop to read every item description and observe every visual detail to try to piece the lore together.

Has anyone else noticed that "Lands Between" is deeply similar to "Middle Earth?"
The Lands Between [The Sea of Fog]?

Do we know what this means yet?

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
How is this a real game? Sounds like Soulsborne fanfiction at this point.

I got the plat in BB and finished the DLC, but never got very far in Dark Souls. I might have remedy that before this comes out.

Oct 29, 2017
My understanding after that interview is that The Lands Between is a special place blessed by the elden ring, it seems they are isolated from the outside world by the sea of fog.

AZAEL

Jun 11, 2021
Hey guys! Finally I get the opportunity to enter this beautiful forum! It's been like two years of lurking, now I'm finally able to take part to the conversation. I wanted to thank you all for entertaining me every day or so, with all the lore speculations and such. And of course, thanks to Omni, which has been doing God's work all this time.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Hey guys! Finally I get the opportunity to enter this beautiful forum! It's been like two years of lurking, now I'm finally able to take part to the conversation. I wanted to thank you all for entertaining me every day or so, with all the lore speculations and such. And of course, thanks to Omni, which has been doing God's work all this time.
Welcome, Tarnished One!

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I guess so, we've seen only one area if I'm correct and that already looks like a few dozen hours to me (with my pace anyway). Plus dungeoneering...
Collecting over 100 techniques sounds like a lenghty adventure in itself, of course there must be spells and loot and armour. People who eat up every detail of the world will be riding their magic horse around for longer than is necessary.

Udreif

May 29, 2020
Something that's going unnoticed right now is that apparently we cannot ride when in co-op. So bloodborne kart de-confirmed ;_;

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
"You've crossed the sea of fog all the way to SoulsERA.
I suppose you can't be talked into turning back...
Very well then!"

Collecting over 100 techniques sounds like a lenghty adventure in itself, of course there must be spells and loot and armour. People who eat up every detail of the world will be riding their magic horse around for longer than is necessary.

That's probably right, and I know most people care less about the length and more into quality over quantity (which is completely understandable), but considering we haven't got a From game in 3 years and we probably won't for another 1-2 after ER, I'd be really happy with a huge From game.

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
Hey Omnipotent I ' ve counted like 30 + unique enemies in the trailer / screenshots. Are we in for the biggest Fromsoftware bestiary ever or did they already spoiled half of the fun ?

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if skills are still tied to your MP bar. I would really prefer it was tied to the stamina bar.

Udreif

May 29, 2020
Hey Omnipotent I ' ve counted like 30 + unique enemies in the trailer / screenshots. Are we in for the biggest Fromsoftware bestiary ever or did they already spoiled half of the fun ?
Best Fromsoft bestiary. We have potentially seen 2 or 3 of the six areas at most with almost every enemy shown being from the first area. No way they're going to recycle the enemies for the rest of the game. There's going to be so many more

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
You're weird if you don't see Sekiro as punishing! Also, DeS is the easiest! 😂

Or are you just talking about what happens upon death?
I mean the long-term punishment, Sekiro's dragonrot and DS3's un-kindling.DS1 hollowing was also nothing, BB had literally no punishment and DS2 was manageable with human effigies so easily accessible.

Best Fromsoft bestiary. We have potentially seen 2 or 3 of the six areas at most with almost every enemy shown being from the first area. No way they're going to recycle the enemies for the rest of the game. There's going to be so many more

Yup

Last edited:

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Something that's going unnoticed right now is that apparently we cannot ride when in co-op. So bloodborne kart de-confirmed ;_;

Honestly it makes sense technically. Also, it will make some areas more suited for coop, like popular "piers" where you get off your mount and start exploring on foot and summoning... while other areas will be made solitary landscapes for riding. And sometimes you'll feel like going alone for a ride and other you'll want to get off and summon some company to bash some hollow heads or kick some shit and the world will be tailored for those different moments.

when i put the "dodge" dagger skill on a greatsword

My exact thoughts.

"Let's spoil us where to find that glorious sidestep evade move and then get us a zweihander or a claymore and just wander and wreak havoc afterwards".

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
From has always created great major bosses, but most of the time they lack character. At most you get something like Lothric, but generally there is no dialogue or interaction. The focus on their character as demi-gods, heroic at one point but now having fallen, hopefully means they will be characters more rooted in the present, maybe even someone we can directly/indirectly confer with, prior to the inevitable showdown.

They kind of managed to do it with Gael to a small degree (Gael's heroic second wind cutscene is still one of my favorite ever), so hopefully they manage to expand on that in Elden Ring.

Do you think we're going to climb that tree?

Very confident.

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham

In the trailer we saw the PC resting at a campfire, so maybe you can set a limited number down as you explore and they act as temporary respawn points?

Ilyahero

Nov 25, 2019
There will be a Poison swamp in ER (I just read it in another interview (Russian website)
www.google.ru

Поговорили с Хидетакой Миядзаки об Elden Ring. Открытый мир, мультиплеер и ядовитые болота — Игромания

Народная любовь к серии Dark Souls не угасает уже многие годы. Неудивительно, что Elden Ring, её духовная наследница, предысторию к которой написал сам Дж.Р.Р. Мартин, безоговорочно входит в список самых горячо ожидаемых игр последних лет. Долгое...|Игромания
There are also some interesting things about multiplayer, covenants etc.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
There will be a Poison swamp in ER (I just read it in another interview (Russian website)
www.google.ru

Поговорили с Хидетакой Миядзаки об Elden Ring. Открытый мир, мультиплеер и ядовитые болота — Игромания

Народная любовь к серии Dark Souls не угасает уже многие годы. Неудивительно, что Elden Ring, её духовная наследница, предысторию к которой написал сам Дж.Р.Р. Мартин, безоговорочно входит в список самых горячо ожидаемых игр последних лет. Долгое...|Игромания
There are also some interesting things about multiplayer, covenants etc.

I assume you are just reading it in Russian and there is no translation out yet?

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I assume you are just reading it in Russian and there is no translation out yet?

Relevant portion regarding PvP:

Yeah, will there still be PvP in Elden Ring ?
(Miyazaki brightens up noticeably) Yes, there will be invasions and, let's say, optional PvP. Throughout development, we tried very hard to make this aspect of the game as less annoying for both players as possible - we are still working on it.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

(Miyazaki brightens up noticeably) Yes, there will be invasions and, let's say, optional PvP. Throughout development, we tried very hard to make this aspect of the game as less annoying for both players as possible - we are still working on it.
RRYrMv8.gif

eldenjon

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2018
For me, who beat DS1 in 60+ hours (w/o DLC) and Sekiro in 40+, I'd expect at least 80-100 hours exploring all or most of the stuff. Or probably much more if I stop to read every item description and observe every visual detail to try to piece the lore together.
Yeah, and personally there is a learning curve, sense of caution, and excess of death with each new game that adds significant time to the first playthrough(s). I'm not worried about it at all.

HM: Yes. Those ones you saw in the trailer, those were the spirit summons we mentioned earlier. Usually they're enemy characters, but you can summon them as allies to assist you in battle. So those were the local offline summons.
This is pretty awesome. The potential for selective summoning being a part of your strategy is cool, but more importantly it will likely add longevity to the game, and could be a dependable 'easy mode' for gamers that complain about difficulty.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah (I am Russian and I'm bad at translating info into English, sorry). But I think we'll hear about all these things in many many other interviews

Thank you both.