• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Another thing I'll toss in is that anybody waiting for a good Fromsoft-esque game should look into or check out:
header.jpg

Had a great time with this one, fantastic art, great (though pretty unforgiving) gameplay, well made boss fights and a lovingly crafted world. Would recommend to any fan of Fromsoft games, 2D platformers and especially Metroidvania's. I imagine fans of the first season of Netflix' Castlevania will get quite a lot out of this game. I'd also say its one of the better Metroidvania's this gen and is probably my favorite of the recent bunch next to Hollow Knight. There's a good amount of exploration and things to find if you're willing to look for it, whether those be interesting hidden NPC quests or items that will change how you access things. The levels and locales are also pretty varied with their own unique themes from massive churches to sewers to icy valleys environmental hazards for you to to face and filled with tons of beautifully disgusting enemies to halt your progress. It's also not particularly long and can probably be completed and 100%'d in 9-14 hours for those who aren't into longer Metroidvanias like Hollow Knight. On top of all that, it's also getting some free DLC.

Needless to say, I love this game quite a bit and I hope that it can find more fans as well as success as I would absolutely love for this game to continue into a series.

Though it may be worth waiting for the upcoming free DLC as it's making a few changes to make the games platforming a lot less unforgiving (as it currently requires a lot of near pixel perfect jumps and your options for recovery upon being knocked over are pretty much non existent) but it's a great game nonetheless that I've had a lovely time with myself as has everyone I've recommended it to so far!

That being said, as mentioned by the game's title, it is quite 'Blasphemous' so if religion (Catholicism in particular) being twisted and used in a negative or disturbing light isn't for you then you should perhaps stay away.

The Penitent One is also probably one of my favorite character designs of this generation and is probably a pretty accurate depiction of what Medieval Doom-Guy would be like
The Penitent One ain't nothin to fuck with
CUD7BO.gif
If you need more convincing:

2.png

blashphemous.gif

2eX6CpM.gif

c2ba85db6757830ac456c22d3d3b68cc.gif

9/10 would reccomend

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
for some reason i want a Berserk game from FROM software

Berserk is the single clearest inspiration for the Souls games, so of course we all want a Berserk game! That could be excellent.

Personally I want them to stretch their wings far and wide and experiment with any genres they feel like. I love that they're not tied to a single IP and would rather chase new avenues.

MajulaDream

Oct 25, 2017
Alright! Now this is a thread to follow. Great OP I like it.
Good to be back, my Soulsbornekiroringarmoredcoredemonsdietwice friends!

Cheers all, that next swig of estus is on me!
Cheers to a HOPEFUL 2020! Cheers to Elden Ring!
Cheers for Demon's, Souls, Sekiro, Bloodborne, ArmoredCores, and whatever the hell else comes from our favorite, Game-of-the-Year-winning, death-defying, badass gravelording developers this side of Lordran! 🍻🍻

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Give 👏🏼 us 👏🏼 Lost 👏🏼 Kingdoms 👏🏼 III 👏🏼

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Has any other developer got their own progress thread in Era ?
Such thrust for From. I understand

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Another thing I'll toss in is that anybody waiting for a good Fromsoft-esque game should look into or check out:
header.jpg

Had a great time with this one, fantastic art, great (though pretty unforgiving) gameplay, well made boss fights and a lovingly crafted world. Would recommend to any fan of Fromsoft games, 2D platformers and especially Metroidvania's. I imagine fans of the first season of Netflix' Castlevania will get quite a lot out of this game. I'd also say its one of the better Metroidvania's this gen and is probably my favorite of the recent bunch next to Hollow Knight. There's a good amount of exploration and things to find if you're willing to look for it, whether those be interesting hidden NPC quests or items that will change how you access things. The levels and locales are also pretty varied with their own unique themes from massive churches to sewers to icy valleys environmental hazards for you to to face and filled with tons of beautifully disgusting enemies to halt your progress. It's also not particularly long and can probably be completed and 100%'d in 9-14 hours for those who aren't into longer Metroidvanias like Hollow Knight. On top of all that, it's also getting some free DLC.

Needless to say, I love this game quite a bit and I hope that it can find more fans as well as success as I would absolutely love for this game to continue into a series.

Though it may be worth waiting for the upcoming free DLC as it's making a few changes to make the games platforming a lot less unforgiving (as it currently requires a lot of near pixel perfect jumps and your options for recovery upon being knocked over are pretty much non existent) but it's a great game nonetheless that I've had a lovely time with myself as has everyone I've recommended it to so far!

That being said, as mentioned by the game's title, it is quite 'Blasphemous' so if religion (Catholicism in particular) being twisted and used in a negative or disturbing light isn't for you then you should perhaps stay away.

The Penitent One is also probably one of my favorite character designs of this generation and is probably a pretty accurate depiction of what Medieval Doom-Guy would be like
The Penitent One ain't nothin to fuck with
CUD7BO.gif
If you need more convincing:

2.png

blashphemous.gif

2eX6CpM.gif

c2ba85db6757830ac456c22d3d3b68cc.gif

9/10 would reccomend

Wow, this looks great. At first, I was put off by the art style but seeing it in motion looks more intriguing. I'm not a fan of pixel perfect jumps as I'm not very good at platformers. Though, I did like white palace in hollow knight but that's because it's a small part of the game. Is that the case here or are the difficult platforming sections peppered throughout? And Do you know when that jump patch is coming out?

How is the exploration? Are there good and well hidden secrets with enjoyable backtracking? Looks like the game has interesting boss fights too from the trailer.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
in the meanwhile please re-publish the original Dark Souls on steam please. The remake is trash.

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
What are your ideas and speculations for FromSoftware's nextgen plans?

As far as we know, they should be working actively on Elden Ring (which should be in an advanced state of development) and Armored Core. Knowing their amazing output rate imho there is no way they aren't at least in the pre-production phases of brand new masterpieces. I think we should keep an eye on the next E3.

master_Willem

Dec 3, 2018
Fishing Hamlet
Nice OT for a wonderful company. Congratulations guys.

Wow, this looks great. At first, I was put off by the art style but seeing it in motion looks more intriguing. I'm not a fan of pixel perfect jumps as I'm not very good at platformers. Though, I did like white palace in hollow knight but that's because it's a small part of the game. Is that the case here or are the difficult platforming sections peppered throughout? And Do you know when that jump patch is coming out?

How is the exploration? Are there good and well hidden secrets with enjoyable backtracking? Looks like the game has interesting boss fights too from the trailer.

Jump patch is out i think. I finished 100% this game on opening week but i can say -at least for me- platforming was not difficult. Exploration is also good but i think the back-tracking would be better than the game has right now. NPC's, secrets are quite wonderful. 8.5/10 for me.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Only the tip of the iceberg tbh

source.gif

By the way, coincidentally I've been playing Blasphemous the past week. I've just reached the Mother of Mothers church,after getting the 3 holy items. The game has a great art direction and I really like the dark tone it radiates. The combat is kinda simplistic though and so is the platforming,both are a bit rough and could have used some expanded depth . I'm kinda lost on the story though . Certainly worth playing by fans of 2d soulsvania.

PS: I assume you've played Salt and Sanctuary

Oct 25, 2017
in the meanwhile please re-publish the original Dark Souls on steam please. The remake is trash.
I don't think the remaster is trash, but I don't get why not just give it away along with the remaster whenever someone buys it. Why not give the option?

Especially since it's the same publisher that still sells the vanilla Dark Souls II, which I consider a superior experience and always recommend to people.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Jump patch is out i think. I finished 100% this game on opening week but i can say -at least for me- platforming was not difficult. Exploration is also good but i think the back-tracking would be better than the game has right now. NPC's, secrets are quite wonderful. 8.5/10 for me.

Ah cool. Will probably pick it up after dlc gets released. Looks to also have the same obtuse item descriptions and lore that souls games have too.

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
If i remember correctly From said they were working on 3 different games. One is a reboot, one is an action RPG that's similar to Dark Souls and the other is a weird title. Everyone assumed the reboot is actually Armored Core while the action RPG was Shadows Die Twice but we now know that the reboot it actually Tenchu being rebooted into Sekiro (I wonder what happens to the Tenchu IP now?). The Action RPG is probably Elden Ring. What could the last game possibly be? I assume it's not Metal Wolf Chaos or Derecine since it was metion here on era that it wasn't part of the 3 projects Miyazaki mentioned (i don't remember who said it exactly or when, i might be wrong).

With all that being said, development on Sekiro is done and apparently there isn't going to be any DLCs for it. With Elden Ring being in development and with Armored Core most likely coming in the near future, i can't help but wonder if From is already at the concept stages for the project that will start full production after Elden Ring and if that project could possibly be that weird game.

I would like to take the opportuinty to also talk about Elden Ring and the future of Sekiro and also the rumored Demon's Souls Remake and if it could by any means lead to Demon's Souls 2 or another From/Sony collaboration.

Elden Ring
Every time From announce a new game it immediatly become my most anticipated game ever. It all started with the Project Beast leak then Shadows Die Twice and now all of us are waiting desperately for new info. Every day without info is full of despair but it means we're getting one day closer to more info (god Omnipotent knows when). Miyazaki Confirmed in an interview that Horseback riding and combat will be featured in the game but to what extend?. The Witcher 3 had mounted combat, barebones yes but it was there. Dynasty Warriors had it and a lot of other games too. But they all sucked. I've never really felt engaged nor comfortable while fighting on a horse in a video game, It's not like a make it or break it thing for Elden Ring at least not for me but i would really appreciate if From manages to nail the horse combat and become inspiration for other games to follow just like what they did with Dark Souls.
Second, the open world. We know that it's not a full open world. I'm assuming the structure is bascially open fields, mountains..etc with dungeons, villages and ruines scattered across the world and a number of main areas (kingdoms?) each with it's own theme (snowy kingdom, poison swamp of doom kingdom..). I could be wrong though but it doesn't matter. It crazy to me how many secrets will be in this world if it's really that huge.
While i could go on and talk about Elden Ring for the whole post i will it up to you guys to speculate about the rest (customization, rpg elements, pvp)

Sekiro II
Right after i finished Sekiro i asked myself one thing. Is this a one and done thing? or is it a franchise? because i definitely wanna play a follow up to my fav game of all time. I won't praise Sekiro or write about why i think it's the best thing ever because i already did on several occasions but i can't help but wonder if we are going to see Sekiro II and if yes, how long to i have to wait?

The Rumored Demon's Souls Remake
Demon's Souls was my introduction to the Souls series (There wasn't a Souls series back then in 2009) but it's essentially what got me hooked into gaming. I got invested in it's world and characters and i think it has one of the best lore and setting in the entire Souls series and since 2009 i've always waited for Demon's Souls II. Dark Souls came and it's techincaly DeS 2 but deep down i just wanted to know more about Demon's Souls lore and settng. Project Beast got leaked and it was heavily rumored to be Demon's Souls follow up ("Sick creature, may you rest in peace, umbasa" Father Gasgoine). At the end we got another masterpiece named Bloodborne but it's still not Demon's Souls II.
Now with Demon's Souls Remake by Bluepoint being heavily rumored i can't help but wonder if it's success will lead to a Demon's Souls follow up and whether From will be willing to develop it at all. Does the world need Demon's Souls II? no, but i do and it probably doesn't really matter. A remake is quite possibly that last we'll hear about it and i hope the rumors turns out to be true.

Another From/Playstation Exclusive
We know that Sony and From are good friends and Bloodborne was definitely a system seller and is considered by a lot of people and critics to be on of the best games of the decade. I think Sony will probably approach From to do another game. What will it be? i don't know.

Armored Core
I didn't play any Armored Core. I'm not a fan of mechs but i'm eager to see what will From take the series next and i'm wondering if i'm going to play it at all. I know From can probably convince me to. Will they implement some gameplay mechanics from the Souls series?

Dark Souls IV/ Bloodborne II
I think it will be a long time before we see DS4 or BB2.

The Weird title
I don't really have anything to say except it's probably The Adventures of Cookie & Cream

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
What could the last game possibly be?
It was Deracine, please, lets stop going back to the 3 games deal.
The main reason why people think its not deracine is because after sekiro, miyazaki gave an interview claiming they were working on another two games and counted deracine as half a game. Prompting people to this that back when he mentioned the 3 games he didnt include deracine in there as it was not being considered half a game (probably in the sense that it required half their usual workforce). This was the article
0.5 – Deracine
1.0 – Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
2.0 – Unannounced Titles

We now know that those other two games were elden ring and armored core, which leaves no room for this 3rd weird one. Thats because it alerady released

Additionally:
  • considering armored core will have been in developement for 3 years once elden ring comes out, its the most likely title to come out after. So that'd mean that if this "weird title" isnt Deracine, it will have been in developement for close to 5 years since its original mention in mid 2016.
  • Why wouldnt he take into account deracine in the original 3 games deal? If you are going to talk about the many titles your studio is working on, why not include it?
  • What could be weirder than a VR adventure game for Fromsoft right after a decade of soulslikes?
Makes no sense for it to be something other than deracine.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Here is my review:
To answer your questions:
- No platforming in the game is remotely as hard as White Palace (I hated White Palace btw). In general, platforming is fairly forgiving, with a few annoying moments here and there, but nothing that crushing.
- I don't know if this upcoming patch will change this though, nor do I know when it's coming out.
- Exploration is fairly rewarding, there are loads of secrets. Some of them a bit too obtuse tbh, but that might just be me.
- Backtracking is fine, could have used a few more warp points though.
- Bosses are pretty decent overall.

Wut? The remaster is literally the same game except with QoL improvements over the covenants and better multiplayer. Everything else is unchanged...

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Here is my review:
To answer your questions:
- No platforming in the game is remotely as hard as White Palace (I hated White Palace btw). In general, platforming is fairly forgiving, with a few annoying moments here and there, but nothing that crushing.
- I don't know if this upcoming patch will change this though, nor do I know when it's coming out.
- Exploration is fairly rewarding, there are loads of secrets. Some of them a bit too obtuse tbh, but that might just be me.
- Backtracking is fine, could have used a few more warp points though.
- Bosses are pretty decent overall.

Wut? The remaster is literally the same game except with QoL improvements over the covenants and better multiplayer. Everything else is unchanged...

The warp points indeed are very few. When you wanna go back to a newly opened segment of the map,you got to travel quite a bit. Also the game could do with some map markers

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Another From/Playstation Exclusive
We know that Sony and From are good friends and Bloodborne was definitely a system seller and is considered by a lot of people and critics to be on of the best games of the decade. I think Sony will probably approach From to do another game. What will it be? i don't know.

Yup. I think another Sony/Fromsoftware major exclusive game is happening for PS5. If it is a thing then Fromsoftware has probably been working on it for awhile now, and we could possibly see it at E3 2021. I'll always be grateful for Sony coming to Fromsoftware with the offer that led to Bloodborne, looking forward to more collaboration between Sony Japan Studio and FROM.

GettyImages_1040895718.0.jpg
C3qCSvMVMAIxFyw.jpg

Miyazaki has said with him as president he believes Fromsoftware should constantly be doing "new" things. I hope he considers doing the dark fantasy/mecha game that his staff thinks would be "impossible". It would truly only be possible on next gen consoles.

C1c42dLUQAQnh9z.jpg
Ckyl8KlVEAA4VJK.jpg:large

tumblr_mknhm4zpQX1qmpg90o1_500.gif
tumblr_nbl1b9pHvi1s5oxc0o1_500.gif

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Sekiro II
Right after i finished Sekiro i asked myself one thing. Is this a one and done thing? or is it a franchise? because i definitely wanna play a follow up to my fav game of all time. I won't praise Sekiro or write about why i think it's the best thing ever because i already did on several occasions but i can't help but wonder if we are going to see Sekiro II and if yes, how long to i have to wait?
We hear a lot about how both From and Acti hated working with each others, and Sekiro being the first major From game to not get DLC since Demon Souls... I really doubt we're seeing Sekiro 2 any time soon.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
The lighting changed. Some programmer just threw in a completely new lighting solution with no consideration for the fact that the original visuals were crafted and tuned to fit with the original lighting. Aesthetically it looks very different. It looks like an outsourced remaster. Which wouldn't even bother me if the original still was available to buy but it isn't so now I'm pissed instead.

OP
OP
Mifec

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
FROM have shown they don't need to take exclusivity deals to release top tier products. Hopefully those are only limited to stuff like Deracine from now on.

Seeing as they're at a point where Acti and Bamco let them keep their IPs while publishing and their stuff selling as good as it does on multiplat, exclusives would only benefit the exclusive holder and not us.

think another Sony/Fromsoftware major exclusive game is happening for PS5. If it is a thing then Fromsoftware has probably been working on it for awhile now
I doubt that a lot.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
The lighting changed. Some programmer just threw in a completely new lighting solution with no consideration for the fact that the original visuals were crafted and tuned to fit with the original lighting. Aesthetically it looks very different. It looks like an outsourced remaster. Which wouldn't even bother me if the original still was available to buy but it isn't so now I'm pissed instead.
So....
You're calling the remaster "trash" because of... this? Really?

Gamers...

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
They can only do so much, they don't have unlimited staff. If Elden Ring releases 2020 only one year after Sekiro then they pretty much blew their load. These were the two big titles they had in development simultaneously (along with AC, which most likely doesn't have the same amount resources in terms of staff and funding).

We are potentially looking at FROM hibernating for a while with a similar gap that we saw from DS3 (2016) to Sekiro (2019) for their next blockbuster. Dev cycles aren't exactly getting any shorter.

This is ERA though, we expect a major title reveal at every E3 cause it's FROM right?
We hear a lot about how both From and Acti hated working with each others, and Sekiro being the first major From game to not get DLC since Demon Souls... I really doubt we're seeing Sekiro 2 any time soon.
Any source where Acti or FROM have mentioned any of this?

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
So....
You're calling the remaster "trash" because of... this? Really?

Gamers...
Yes just like I call the star wars special edition trash too. I don't mind it existing but don't prevent us from accessing the original. Some of us care about game preservation and it's important to understand that game remasters and remakes are a completely different thing from that.

Maybe you wouldn't care if the only smb 1 version available in 2030 is a Nickelodeon styled vector gfx version of the game but I do.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Yes just like I call the star wars special edition trash too. I don't mind it existing but don't prevent us from accessing the original. Some of us care about game preservation and it's important to understand that game remasters and remakes are a completely different thing from that.

Maybe you wouldn't care if the only smb 1 version available in 2030 is a Nickelodeon styled vector gfx version of the game but I do.
OK, but that doesn't make the remaster "trash"

SayemAhmd

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 3, 2019
Miyazaki has said with him as president he believes Fromsoftware should constantly be doing "new" things. I hope he considers doing the dark fantasy/mecha game that his staff thinks would be "impossible". It would truly only be possible on next gen consoles.

Lol, very happy that my interview with him is still remembered for this absolutely wild line. I really hope they make a Frame Gride successor.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
They can only do so much, they don't have unlimited staff. If Elden Ring releases 2020 only one year after Sekiro then they pretty much blew their load. These were the two big titles they had in development simultaneously (along with AC, which most likely doesn't have the same amount resources in terms of staff and funding).

We are potentially looking at FROM hibernating for a while with a similar gap that we saw from DS3 (2016) to Sekiro (2019) for their next blockbuster. Dev cycles aren't exactly getting any shorter.

This is ERA though, we expect a major title reveal at every E3 cause it's FROM right?

Any source where Acti or FROM have mentioned any of this?

Haha yeah. Their output is so insane, we forget at times that even they have their limits. I'm ok with them hibernating for awhile once Elden Ring comes out. I have a feeling i'll be playing in that open world for yeaaars to come. The lifespan on their ARPG's is super impressive, so many people are still playing DS1,DS3, BB years later.

Lol, very happy that my interview with him is still remembered for this absolutely wild line. I really hope they make a Frame Gride successor.

Thanks for the interview. Miyazaki keeps showing his excellent taste in fiction!

this is really what i wanna see playing :)

Absolutely, I just cannot wait to see their take on an open world game. You just know stuff like this will be nothing compared to the things we'll be seeing in the game. Fromsoftware has the best art direction in the business.

Game_of_Thrones_Concept_Art_Illustration_01_Kalen_Chock_Kings_Landing.png