• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017

I've seen a few videos like this where they're seemingly able to go beyond the limits of the test and Stormveil looks huge as well as wonderfully intricate and layered, the jump is going to add so many possibilities for the level design, in the legacy areas especially. *Area spoilers obviously*

It's going to be glorious.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
And we'll have (at least) six legacy worth of classic souls design + whatever we have for underground exploration. As someone who isn't fully sold on the open-world stuff yet, this is comforting even more so because each legacy is the size of almost two DSIII levels (in terms of area at least).

It would be so cool if some of the legacies are connected to the underground levels and you could go in a random cave and surface up in the middle of a castle an hour later.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
What are these "legacy" areas you guys are talking about? Is that part of the spoilers that were unearthed?
They have talked about them before, legacy areas are the more closed off areas you can explore like traditional dark souls levels. These levels are more vertical than most dark souls level with the addition of jumping though, but think of them as what you'd think of any named area in a previous game in terms of explorability.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone bought a physical copy of Edge magazine? Was thinking of checking Barnes & Noble to see if they carry it.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Went to B&N. They had issue 65 and the elden ring is 67 looks like. So guess I gotta wait

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
What are these "legacy" areas you guys are talking about? Is that part of the spoilers that were unearthed?
They have been talked about as closed areas with the usual kind of level design we expect from fromsoft (as its not something they'll be able to pull off in the open world). Think of them as main dungeons in a Zelda game. Im pretty sure you'll be able to do them in any order too, with the exception of the first one, which seems to work as a bottleneck gating the rest of the game.

I've seen a few videos like this where they're seemingly able to go beyond the limits of the test and Stormveil looks huge as well as wonderfully intricate and layered, the jump is going to add so many possibilities for the level design, in the legacy areas especially. *Area spoilers obviously*
It's going to be glorious.
I bet its glorious indeed! But i'd keep this to the spoilers thread as there are some people who dont want to see more from the game

Sorry if it's been asked before in here, but will a 1660 Super be able to run this game at 60fps, medium settings probably?
Sekiro ran at a stable 60fps for me with that same GPU. I Imagine it'll be a bit harder here with the open world demanding more resources so Im personally hoping I can find a better GPU at a good price by the time the game is out...

Edit: I looked into it and the recommended GPU for ER is a gtx 1060 with 6gb of ram so It seems like you'll be fine as long as you have a good CPU to go with it. For reference, the recommended GPU for sekiro was a 970 and there are multiple videos of the game running on max settings at a stable 60 fps with that card.

Last edited:

Fullmetallad

Jun 1, 2019
They have been talked about as closed areas with the usual kind of level design we expect from fromsoft (as its not something they'll be able to pull off in the open world). Think of them as main dungeons in a Zelda game. Im pretty sure you'll be able to do them in any order too, with the exception of the first one, which seems to work as a bottleneck gating the rest of the game.
It seems that more recent map discoveries revealed that there's a path that allows us to bypass Stormveil to reach the next kingdom. Not mentioning that there's another kingdom to the right of Limgrave which seems to be open to explore too

Last edited:

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
It seems that more recent map discoveries revealed that there's a path that allows us to bypass Stormveil to reach the next kingdom. Not mentioning that there's another kingdom to the right of Limgrave which seems to be open to explore too.
Would love if that's the case! Im certain at some point we'll have the option to branch out and do these main dungeons in any order, but the way they've talked about it in interviews and previews always makes it sound like its the "first legacy dungeon".

On top of that, I guess it makes sense to have a first bottleneck area to better segment the leveling and difficulty of the game. I do wonder how they'll handle that

Oct 27, 2017
Roma, Italia
Since many of us know all we want to know about Elden Ring, and since this thread is about From's projectS I want to ask what you people think comes after Elden Ring and after the inevitable Elden Ring's DLC? What will From's next project be and how long do you think it will take before it releases (are we now on a 5 year cycle or will we have shorter pauses between from games like we used to?)

I understand the pressure of a new Armored Core, but I really hope From will consider doing something with Echo Night, Ku-On, or Shadow Tower (or an original Shadow Tower-like).

OP
OP
Mifec

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think FROM are gonna go back to any of their old IPs except for maybe AC.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Personally I'm really hoping we get Sekiro 2 sooner than later. I loved that game, I did pretty much everything in it and I still wanted more. And I still feel sad that we never got any DLC for it.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I think Sekiro will remain my favourite, mostly because I much prefer the "action" approach to the "rpg" approach. As in, in Sekiro you have to get good at the gameplay and that's it; in DS you can level up as a crutch (though of course you need to get better as well). Clearly DS has advantages as well, namely the variety, but overall Sekiro is much more enjoyable to me on a basic level.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Sekiro's battle system is just too good to be only in one game. The exploration part in souls game are fantastic, but after multiple playthrough you just gonna run past everything, making the Newgame+ a boss rush mode. In Sekiro, I can start my boss rush mode anytime and instantly have my fun. I can try new strategy and playstyle without reroll my characters.

Really hope From expanding the gameplay of Sekiro in future games. Using a different setting is fine by me.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
Sekiro 2 with DS/ER tier exploration and replayability please.

Those two were my only beefs with Sekiro otherwise it's perfect.

wingthor

Sep 18, 2021
I love Sekiro as well, but I think it's the most "complete" Fromsoft game. It doesn't really need a sequel or DLC (Maybe Tomoe). I hope we get a futuristic souls-like game in the future that takes sekiro's combat + elden ring's rpg mechanics.

Isn't Elden Ring planned as a series? I thought one of the early previews they mentioned it was planned as a series of games.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Isn't Elden Ring planned as a series? I thought one of the early previews they mentioned it was planned as a series of games.
The leaked trailer talked about it as a "Franchise" so yes, I imagine sequels are planned. This is very much here to stay and become their new main ARPG while I imagine their other teams will go on to focus on more action oriented titles and hopefully experiment with other genres aswell.

I wonder if we will get previews this month. We are close to release now.l.
Im still holding out hope for a big outlet to do coverage of the game the way Game Informer did for sekiro through january.
IIRC that all happened almost 2 months before release, so It might be a bit too late to do a repeat of that now. Who knows.

OP
OP
Mifec

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we'll ever see another Sekiro. An experimental title that lets them do something else for sure, but like a direst followup or a game that plays the same, nah.

The leaked trailer talked about it as a "Franchise" so yes, I imagine sequels are planned. This is very much here to stay and become their new main ARPG while I imagine their other teams will go on to focus on more action oriented titles and hopefully experiment with other genres aswell.
Yeah I think it's a multi game deal too, especially since they want to do other media and not just games with it.

I wonder if we will get previews this month. We are close to release now.l.
We're probably get at least some written stuff in the lead up. I hope.

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
I wonder how they'd handle a potential sequel in terms of worldbuilding. Either they intentionally left Elden Ring's story open for a sequel or do a new chunk of worldbuilding (for instance a new kingdom like DS2 did) or work with Martin again?

OP
OP
Mifec

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how they'd handle a potential sequel in terms of worldbuilding. Either they intentionally left Elden Ring's story open for a sequel or do a new chunk of worldbuilding (for instance a new kingdom like DS2 did) or work with Martin again?
Yeah I have no clue how they'd do that give it's open world and we explore the whole landmass.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
imo like Elder Scrolls, new area and plot but it connects to the greater picture and each game revealing more.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Personally I'm really hoping we get Sekiro 2 sooner than later. I loved that game, I did pretty much everything in it and I still wanted more. And I still feel sad that we never got any DLC for it.
I think Sekiro will remain my favourite, mostly because I much prefer the "action" approach to the "rpg" approach. As in, in Sekiro you have to get good at the gameplay and that's it; in DS you can level up as a crutch (though of course you need to get better as well). Clearly DS has advantages as well, namely the variety, but overall Sekiro is much more enjoyable to me on a basic level.
Sekiro's battle system is just too good to be only in one game. The exploration part in souls game are fantastic, but after multiple playthrough you just gonna run past everything, making the Newgame+ a boss rush mode. In Sekiro, I can start my boss rush mode anytime and instantly have my fun. I can try new strategy and playstyle without reroll my characters.

Really hope From expanding the gameplay of Sekiro in future games. Using a different setting is fine by me.

I love Sekiro, my favorite FROM game by far. It not getting a sequel (or spiritual sequel) would be a crime against humanity.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's another new I.P, Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro are all right up there as my favourite games and I'm sure Elden Ring will be too.

I would kill for a sci-fi/horror take by From.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we'll ever see another Sekiro. An experimental title that lets them do something else for sure, but like a direst followup or a game that plays the same, nah.

Yeah I think it's a multi game deal too, especially since they want to do other media and not just games with it.

We're probably get at least some written stuff in the lead up. I hope.
I think we'll get a sequel eventually. Unlike BB and DS's, Sekiro's true ending is pretty much sequel bait

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham

Im still holding out hope for a big outlet to do coverage of the game the way Game Informer did for sekiro through january.
IIRC that all happened almost 2 months before release, so It might be a bit too late to do a repeat of that now. Who knows.
The guy who created the Great Rune sub posted screenshots of his conversation with the guy who leaked him the ER info and it was mentioned in there that it's planned to be a trilogy. Obviously things can change but I don't think ER will be a one and done game. It's possible that it'll be one story spread over multiple games kind of like the LotR trilogy instead of the way the DaS trilogy was done where things were familiar but set in different time periods.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I have much better hope for the lore and worldbuilding in ER sequels if they planned for it from the start. Dark Souls became such a mess after DS1 that I basically lost most of my interest in the lore in DS2 and 3.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Maybe Miyazaki employed Martin for the very reason that he is good at setting things up for sequels. Not the only reason, but maybe a big one since he seems to prefer one and done projects and needed some expertise in that department.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's one of 3 possible endings and it just remains open ended. Not every open ended ending is a sequel bait.
idk the return ending is generally considered as the true ending, which involves starting a new journey to the origin of the divine dragon. Keep in mind that their goal is to break kuro's curse, which is yet to be resolved

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Nah, it's one of 3 possible endings and it just remains open ended. Not every open ended ending is a sequel bait.
eh I find it hard to believe it wasn't intentionally made open ended to allow for a potential sequel if the game was succesful (which I think it was, depends on Activision standards I guess).

OP
OP
Mifec

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
idk the return ending is generally considered as the true ending, which involves starting a new journey to the origin of the divine dragon. Keep in mind that their goal is to break kuro's curse, which is yet to be resolved
By fans, we have no idea what FROM thinks.

Suppenseppel

May 31, 2019
But in contrast to Bloodborne, don't From and their parent Company own the Sekiro brand and could make the decisions for a sequel?

Duv

Mar 2, 2021
I dont know why most people consider return to be the canon ending, since purification seems much more in line with the themes of the game, also it's the only ending questline that requires you to defeat a secret boss, much like Bloodborne's true ending, and discover about Owl's betrayal. Also it's the most fitting and satisfying conclusion for Wolf and Kuro imho.
That said I woul really love a Sekiro spiritual sequel, with similar combat system but different setting, thats where FS worldbuilding really shines.

Apr 3, 2020
I don't know what to think about Sekiro ending, or even if there is a squeal

But as we did get Bloodborne and then Sekiro, so it's inevitable we will getting another similar type project

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Even if they intend ER to be a franchise, it doesn't mean the next game they work on has to be ER2.

I always err on the side of something new, but I'm not going to turn my nose up at a sequel either. Hey, let's play ER first! :p

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I dont know why most people consider return to be the canon ending, since purification seems much more in line with the themes of the game, also it's the only ending questline that requires you to defeat a secret boss, much like Bloodborne's true ending, and discover about Owl's betrayal. Also it's the most fitting and satisfying conclusion for Wolf and Kuro imho.
That said I woul really love a Sekiro spiritual sequel, with similar combat system but different setting, thats where FS worldbuilding really shines.
I agree with this. Purification ending is the most satisfying (in terms of gameplay and story) and bittersweet.

Future Armored Core Info

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've just finished doing a consumer survey about a new Armoured Core game with description, screenshots and two 30 second-ish videos of gameplay - the first a boss fight and the second more in-world gameplay, a snow area. The screenshots are unique ID watermarked, so probably not a good idea to post but I did screenshot the text description.

If this isn't ok to post, mods please edit this - I don't want to get anyone (including myself) in to trouble, but I was pretty amazed to be watching footage of an upcoming From Soft game randomly this morning, quite unexpected!!

1drjgf.png
27pjyh.png

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
I've just finished doing a consumer survey about a new Armoured Core game with description, screenshots and two 30 second-ish videos of gameplay - the first a boss fight and the second more in-world gameplay, a snow area. The screenshots are unique ID watermarked, so probably not a good idea to post but I did screenshot the text description.

If this isn't ok to post, mods please edit this - I don't want to get anyone (including myself) in to trouble, but I was pretty amazed to be watching footage of an upcoming From Soft game randomly this morning, quite unexpected!!

1drjgf.png
27pjyh.png

Damn, that sounds great. How did the footage look?

Oct 4, 2020
Scotland

1drjgf.png
27pjyh.png
Sounds amazing, good to finally get some AC news! How far along did the footage look? Wondering if we might see an announcement around E3 time this year.