• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still a bit annoyed they announced this so early and havent shown or said much of anything for 7 months now, with more waiting on the horizon.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
If the world is truly 100% interconnected, maybe they could let each starting class begin the game in a different part of the world? That could be pretty cool.

Keep the "any class can become any build" aspect of Souls, I love that, but just having many different starting points would be such a wild departure from their usual MO.
Yes! Talked about this at lenght in the other thread as well. Hope we can have some deep discussion about some of this stuff soon enough. It's always easier when we actually have footage of gameplay and more concrete information.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
If the world is truly 100% interconnected, maybe they could let each starting class begin the game in a different part of the world? That could be pretty cool.

Keep the "any class can become any build" aspect of Souls, I love that, but just having many different starting points would be such a wild departure from their usual MO.
I would love this.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
What about exploration music?
Considering we'll probably spend an important amount of time traveling through the field, I'll gradly take it but I'd preffer if its not something constant. You can have your moments of silence and your moments of pretty ambient music
I think it worked great in sekiro. Some of my favourite tracks are the exploration ones

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
Considering we'll probably spend an important amount of time traveling through the field, I'll gradly take it but I'd preffer if its not something constant. You can have your moments of silence and your moments of pretty ambient music
I think it worked great in sekiro. Some of my favourite tracks are the exploration ones

I would love the same use of the music/sound design we got in Dark Souls 1. In some rare occasions the music pops up (Ash Lake, Firelink Shrine), but most of the time it's you, the sound of your steps and enemies and the ambient sounds.
I loved Sekiro tracks (Emma's is a masterpiece), but didn't like so much always having music on.

Oct 25, 2017

I wasn't a huge fan, personally. Fountainhead Palace's BEAUTIFUL theme would hit so much harder if we didn't spend every single hour before that listening to music constantly.

Specific songs for every single encounter bothered me more than just exploration tracks, though. They were much more subdued.

yea think its that game. o it was released already?
whats the review like for that game?
Kind of middling. Seems to be worth it if you already have PS VR, but it's not really a system seller.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I love that they decided to try exploration and dynamic music with Sekiro. Some ambient pieces worked very well while others became a bit repetitive, the worst being the constant in & out of combat music. I hope Elden Ring takes a minimalist approach to the exploration music and instead let various sound effects take the spotlight like Dark Souls.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
You know this for sure?!
Why did they need Ben Judd working like that, by the way? From has english speakers inside their company, and Robert Conkey, the game's producer on the Activision side, speaks japanese.

Why would they even need a middle man?
So to squash some myths before this goes any further: Judd worked as an agent for Fromsoft for a while before they had started working with Activision.
He was probably just the go-to guy for fielding business discussions when there was no one available from either side. In any case, I have it on good authority that those claims about their relationship are not true. But given the whole situation surrounding Judd I'd preffer that we move away from the topic and talking about him in general rather than speculating on comments from someone who is now at best an unreliable narrator.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
That Elden Ring thread is finally closed! We are finally free (from the torment)!

Honestly I think the mods just can't take it anymore.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Alternative version of the E3 trailer, these guys seemed to have been involved with Sekiro as well. Maybe it's a version they didn't go with.

Just saw this and then the old thread was locked. Amazing soundtrack and sound effects. This is going to be amazing. I love how the smith seems to be crafting the earth itself in a way.

Havel

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer that version compared to the E3 one. Much cleaner with the music and SFX.

Wiibomb

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Really clean sound on that video, I wish we could have a version as clean as that of the first trailer. Only the From's channel has it relatively clean and even that one isn't as cleas as this video

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
And Havel the Rock was the last poster. That must mean something.

The art of war has been a constant since ages past,
and those who would follow in Havel's footsteps are no fewer now than in his own day.

Havel is going to be the final boss, and we have to QTE punch away the boulders he throws at us.

I prefer that version compared to the E3 one. Much cleaner with the music and SFX.

pls confirm

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
tbh the e3 trailer uploaded on youtube has some terrible audio quality. The only good versions I could find are the one in fromsoft's yt channel and the ones that come straight out of the e3 stream.
its fucked that bamco hasnt bothered with replacing the current version on their channel, takes away a lot from the trailer.

I wouldnt say the mussic is official, probably something the studio used to make it more impressive. This is there to showcase their portfolio first, not to promote the game

I think its interesting that they didnt show the parts with the knights. Guessing it was either done by other studio or fromsoft themselves.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
What do you think the "open world" crafted by FromSoftware in Elden Ring will look like, compared to the open worlds already out there?

I'm not expecting a huge map with symbols to clear. I'm also not expecting a mini-map (or a map indicator in general) in order to understand where to go. In my mind there is something similar to the map of Shadows of the Colossus. Or, I don't know, something like Irithyll or Anor Londo FULLY explorable. It's hard to explain.

I think it'll be designed like DS1 firelink shrine except x10 bigger and without a central hub in the center of everything, if that makes sense.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
yes, this very much.

but i mean, the open world has to serve the design and not the other way around. if it is some kind of "modern trend open world®" i will be very displeased. i'm expecting it to be like SOTC. and please, PLEASE no minimap/compass.

"There are many definitions to the term "open world," and I might not be phrasing it correctly, but we have simply tried our own approach to a game with a large, open field to play in."

One of my favorite quotes from the interview. Showing that Fromsoftware, and Miyazaki are ignoring industry trends, and doing what they want to do. This will be their most innovative game since DeS IMO.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Oops I locked the old thread earlier and forgot to post the lock message 👀 sorry for the one last bump.

Nice, we can at least consult the old thread easily and see threadmarks etc.

I fixed your first link btw, page numbers in URLs break on users with 100 ppp

Havel

Oct 25, 2017
Havel is going to be the final boss, and we have to QTE punch away the boulders he throws at us.

pls confirm

Boulderfield.gif

Yes

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if we'll see different playable races like Dark Elves or Goblins, instead of just being human like in previous Souls games. More "traditional" fantasy elements similar to Skyrim.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Want to shout out Drawfee once again given the current situation they find themselves in with the layoffs at CollegeHumor, hope they can find a few more fans within the community.
Some Fromsoft related stuff they've done.

The Drawfee crew are amazing people. If you enjoy their content, please follow them to find out how to best support them going forward, if you're able to.

The Dark Souls/Fromsoft episodes are especially excellent.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Want to shout out Drawfee once again given the current situation they find themselves in with the layoffs at CollegeHumor, hope they can find a few more fans within the community.
Some Fromsoft related stuff they've done.

Can recommend this channel. I binge-watched their stuff awhile back. Loved the FROM stuff and also the Silent Hill episodes.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man... I really, really hope that Elden Ring is basically Fromsoft's version of Breath of the Wild. A fusion of Dark Souls and Breath of the Wild sounds like the greatest fucking thing in the world.

Oct 25, 2017
Man... I really, really hope that Elden Ring is basically Fromsoft's version of Breath of the Wild. A fusion of Dark Souls and Breath of the Wild sounds like the greatest fucking thing in the world.
Depends on what we're talking about. Just general freedom and movement mechanics? I guess I could be into From's take on that.

Wouldn't be too excited about them moving to a much more "sandbox" approach to game design, though.

Havel

Oct 25, 2017
To each his own, I really didn't like BOTW at all aside from some fun physics interactivity. The "open field" element is my biggest worry about Elden Ring, it has the potential to be something spectacular but also a huge letdown if it's mostly a barren wasteland that exists solely to connect the large kingdoms.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
It's not Breath of the Wild souls. Or really much like Breath of the Wild at all. It's very much it's own thing but is obviously going to lean more towards expanding on and adding to what they've done in the past and exploring outwards from that. A lot of Breath of the Wild's design elements are also at odds with the way From does things and then there's a matter of resources and development time.