• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
5u1XVd1.png

"It was never our real motive for From Software to be the Dark Souls-only company."-Hidetaka Miyazaki, 2016 [President of Fromsoftware]

"I feel that From Software's title lineup will need a little more variation… We have dark fantasies like Dark Souls, of course, but I'd also like for us to make more mech games like Armored Core, or Asian style titles like Tenchu or Otogi: Myth of Demons. From Software used have a lot more rather quirky titles."-Miyazaki 2014

Given that Fromsoft has gained an immense and dedicated following over the past decade with their successes in the ARPG scene as well as the quotes above,I think it would be worthwhile for the community to have a centralized place to discuss and speculate on all future Fromsoft projects, without any inter-fanbase hostility or franchise wars. This isn't just a place for fans of Fromsoft's ARPGs

Ideally this thread and the OP will be updated when anything official is said, released or announced regarding any upcoming Fromsoftware projects. But as of right now, this is a collection of what we know straight from Fromsoft themselves, as well as a occasional notes from verified community member Omnipotent who helped put this together.

q02pR8M.jpg

At A Glance:

• Announced at E3 2019
  • Collaboration between Fromsoft & George R R Martin (Writer/Creator of "A Song of Ice and Fire"/ "Game of Thrones")
  • Fantasy themed
  • Largest Fromsoftware game to date
  • Open World
  • Horse Riding & Mounted Combat
  • Gameplay heavily based on Dark Souls
  • PS4, Xbox One, PC
What's been said so far officially:

"Development for Elden Ring started just after development for the Dark Souls 3 DLC had ended. At the time, Elden Ring was being planned as a more classic fantasy title compared to others that were either being considered or already in the early stages of development.

We wanted to create a new dark fantasy action RPG full of things that we weren't able to do in the Dark Souls series."

"While assigning co-directors to each project, I took direction over the various game design, art and musical aspects of the titles."-Miyazaki

"Unlike Sekiro, which has a heavy focus on action, Elden Ring puts more focus on RPG elements."

"The importance we place on the joy the player experiences through overcoming challenges will be the same as it is in our other titles."

"This title will include a wide variety of weapons, magic, and ways to engage enemies, that make it possible to provide users with a style of gameplay and strategy that suits them."

"Yes, it will contain character customization elements."

"This mythos proved to be full of interesting characters and drama along with a plethora of mystical and mysterious elements as well"

"Due to this, the scale of the world and its narrative, as well as the depth and freedom of exploration have increased dramatically"

"we have simply tried our own approach to a game with a large, open field to play in.

"It is a world full of danger and threats, as well as many areas ripe for exploration"

"We feel there is a wide variety of unique and horrifying bosses for players to look forward to."

On the concept art character:

"We chose this character because of his eccentric aspects as well as the way he portrays the darkness that the world and story possess."

"While Elden Ring may be a classic dark fantasy title, it is more than just that.

This character also represents one more theme in addition to the previously mentioned eccentricity.

That theme is the will, or ambition of mankind."

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06/09/hidetaka-miyazaki-and-george-rr-martin-present-elden-ring/ [Xbox, June 9th, 2019]

"With a larger world, new systems and action mechanics inevitably become necessary. I think that Elden Ring is a more natural evolution of Dark Souls."

"Elden Ring goes beyond simply bringing new twists to the formula. By adding larger and more open environments, he believes that the game will evolve on a larger scale."

""The more extensive world will form the base of Elden Ring's gameplay, and its mechanics are designed with that type of environment in mind."

"Miyazaki gives three reasons to why he wanted to introduce this new type of environment: showing the game's world and lore on a grander scale, adding more freedom and depth to exploration, and creating more variation to battles."

"Miyazaki believes that more open environments can create more diverse situations"

"Villages will be the dark dungeon-like ruins that you have come to expect from us,"

"Martin wrote about a time long before the era the player actually explores"

"Elden Ring is a FromSoftware game with a main story by Miyazaki and lore from Martin in one package. And while the two might have created their stories separately, according to Miyazaki they are heavily influenced by each other. He says that the excitement, drama and depth of Martin's lore has had a huge impact on FromSoftware's world creation for Elden Ring."

"Miyazaki compared the mythology that Martin wrote for Elden Ring to that of the dungeon master's handbook in a tabletop RPG"

"The player will be able to learn about Martin's mythology through exploration,"

"he believes that Elden Ring's NPC characters are more compelling than in his previous works."

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...volution-of-dark-souls-says-creator-a-e3-2019 [IGN, June 21st, 2019]

Note(s) From User Omnipotent:

• Elden Ring takes place in a completely original fantasy world created from scratch by George R.R. Martin and Hidetaka Miyazaki. The game is neither based on nor heavily inspired by Norse Mythology. Despite this being reported by a number of outlets. This is not the case. The original source of this rumor is a post on 4chan that got some details right but embellished a number of others. One of those being that the game is based on Norse Mythology. What I assume happened here is that the poster heard a few details on the project and heard the name "Great Rune" being thrown around and jumped to a number of conclusions. Mainly that Rune=Norse, therefore Elden Ring obviously must be inspired by Norse Mythology. But this is not the case. There may be some similarities or light inspiration for singular elements of this world, as neither Fromsoft or George R.R Martin are strangers to pulling singular elements of real world history or myth into their works for inspiration but there was no overall mandate to create a Norse myth based or inspired game. This is a fabrication.

[Potential] Insight on other future projects:

E26RXSb.png

"Armored Core is one of the pillars of From Software's lineup"

https://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/27/dark-souls-developer-already-working-on-new-ip [IGN, April 27th 2016. Updated in May]

"We are making a new Armored Core. We are still in the early stages of development." I asked how early, and Miyazaki replied, "I can't talk about how early it is." –Hidetaka Miyazaki

https://kotaku.com/miyazaki-gives-c...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow [June 21st, 2016]

"we don't intend to end the [Armored Core] series as it is, so we'd be happy if you could wait a little longer."

https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/12/04/from-software-on-the-future-of-armored-core-franchise [IGN, Dec 4th, 2017]

"These are very heavily inspired by Japanese robot anime – we use that as a base of inspiration – but if we were to make something modern, something new, we'd need to consider how to appeal to Europeans or Americans."

"Obviously we'd put our own flavor in it as well," he continued, "but we need to consider how it would appeal to a wide audience and people who didn't get brought up on robot anime."

Regarding the potential of 'Armored Souls': "We don't have any immediate plans to fuse dark fantasy and mecha,"

"We feel that each stand quite solidly on their own. But we do take feedback and reactions from our dark fantasy titles and we do wonder how we could apply that then to a modern mecha game. And this is something that we'd be definitely willing to consider if we did head along that new mecha direction." - Masanori Takeuchi [Producer]

https://www.destructoid.com/from-so...ould-approach-a-new-armored-core-557800.phtml [Destructoid, June 21st, 2019]

Edit: On December 8th 2022 a new armored core was announced for PC and at the time next gen and last gen consoles.

acvifor-announcement-thumbnail.jpg

F8Ipt14.jpg

"For me, Dark Souls III is the end," he said. "But that doesn't mean the end for Dark Souls. If someone other than myself, like another staff member, wants to make a Dark Souls, then I don't want to deny others from making future installments."

"It's not bad if you keep making new games in the same series if you think there is more to add to it," Miyazaki said, adding that the reason why he's no longer going to do Dark Souls is that he doesn't think he can add more to it.

https://kotaku.com/miyazaki-gives-c...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow [June 21st, 2016]

bloodborne-ps4-logo

(In regards to Souls, Sequels, prequels and spin-offs) Miyazaki made clear that this feeling applies to Dark Souls' predecessor, Demon's Souls too, responding to a question about a sequel by saying, "we want to try new things." Presumably, that also applies to Bloodborne which, despite ostensibly being a new franchise, relies heavily on the Souls games' template.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/27/dark-souls-developer-already-working-on-new-ip [IGN, April/May 2017]

"Bloodborne 2…unfortunately, I'm not the one to decide." – Original Source, Gamespot Brazil October 9th, 2019

https://www.dualshockers.com/bloodborne-2-ps4-fromsoftware-hidetaka-miyazaki/

Note from User Omnipotent:

• Fromsoft does not own the Bloodborne IP, Sony does and ultimately it's Sony's decision whether or not a sequel gets made. But that doesn't mean Sony is capable of forcing Fromsoft to make a sequel. Nor does anything in this article imply a sequel is being made or that there is interest in making one. Just that Miyazaki and Fromsoft love Bloodborne.

770s14T.png

*crickets*
Other tidbits:

Currently, From Software is working on a couple titles that, as Miyazaki said, are "not just dark fantasy and mecha."

"There are lots of games I'd like to make. I've said this before, but I'd really like to make a 'warm' game. Something like Popolocrois or ICO." Miyazaki added, "Also, this is a bit of a dream, but I'd like to make some kind of analog game. Something like a board game, a card game, or a tabletop RPG."

Always remember:

KfENg2W.png

Last edited:

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Fantastic OP
Elden Ring really sounds like my dream game, hopefully the development is going well.
Seriously I haven't been this excited since Project Beast.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Elden Ring is going to be a game of legend. The next big step forward in gaming. I need it!

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Great thread!

I hadn't read many details on Elden Ring yet, but god it sounds amazing.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
ohhh nice, moving to here hehehe!

give me some katanas and proper bows on Elden Ring, please.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Nice OP, but that fake FromSoftware logo should be replaced with the way it actually looks.

From_Logo.jpg

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Mifec quick formatting note, it appears [sup] isn't supported, so might want to edit that[/sup]

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Nice thread, OP. Thank you.

First time reading about Elder Ring. Sounds really good. Damn, now i'm hyped. CANT WAIT !

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Elden Ring hype thread here we go.

I've loved their recent releases ever since Demon's Souls. I was worried they will slowly become a one-trick pony studio because of their focus on Third-Person ARPGs or games generally working from the "Souls" blueprint.

For the last year, after playing their imitators from Medicore (Star Wars: Fallen Order) to bad (Shit like Ashen and Necropolis), From Soft have been shot up to "Masters of their Craft" personal category to me.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be a goat tier game but I hope the speed is at least DS3. It doesn't have to be Sekiro fast but making it a little faster than DS3 sounds amazing.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
One interesting thing is the open world, there's no way it's going to be 100% open from the get go like BOTW.

I literally can not imagine what a FromSoftware open world is going to be like, and I wonder how tightly designed the levels would be.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great OP! The day we get more Elden Ring news and info will truly be a great day.

Subscribed.

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Nice work OP. Come back Armored Core. Come back! Someone will back me up on this but...

Chrome Hounds 2.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Oh good I have a proper thread where I can finally say this.

I got an Oculus Quest, and I know that From has experimented with VR via Deracine.

Therefore, I request a King's Field revival in VR.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Let's go! I'm ready for Fromsoftware's next major flagship masterpiece. A dark fantasy open world..

Ooohhh Elden Ring!

592705_bded11c2059943cba4ba86d84705e17d~mv2.webp

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Great thread OP.
Totally deserved too,From have been an incredible studio for a long time now.....can't wait for the return to RPG goodness with Elden Ring.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I'm feeling kinda MEEEEHHHH on Elden Ring. Being open world doesn't really excite me, despite it being unique to Fromsoft games. I have a feeling it'll basically be not-Darksouls seeing as how
George R.R. Martin is involved

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
So, I guess Elder Ring is on an early stage of development. Can we expect a 2021/2022 launch ? And it's very likely to hit on next gen consoles, right ?

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
So, I guess Elder Ring is on an early stage of development. Can we expect a 2021/2022 launch ? And it's very likely to hit on next gen consoles, right ?
For FROM's typical dev cycles even if this is their largest project to date. Early 2017 until now is more like mid/late stages of development with them. These guys work fast and rarely deviate.

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
"The importance we place on the joy the player experiences through overcoming challenges will be the same as it is in our other titles."

This part puts a smile on my face.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
I'm feeling kinda MEEEEHHHH on Elden Ring. Being open world doesn't really excite me, despite it being unique to Fromsoft games. I have a feeling it'll basically be not-Darksouls seeing as how
George R.R. Martin is involved

I really doubt it'll be the typical open world like we usually see in other games. Miyazaki said their approach might not fit other definitions of the term "open world". It will be interesting to see how they will handle it