• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of liking designs, I'm digging your new avatar, source?

Here!

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/dOGr5x

ching-yeh-emma.jpg

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
^ phantom butterfly looking great too!!

Here's hoping that the valkyrie lady is a boss and not just an NPC. I've grown to like her design quite a bit lol
Interesting how its not the first time someone mention this exact thing (or maybe it was u with another avatar :P I'll keep your name in mind for the future)
Im curious: what is it that makes you want to fight cool looking enemies over befriending them? I too love the design but I dont really mind if I fight her or if she's just an NPC.
Is it because bosses get more of a spotlight? is it because you get to interact with them in a more interesting way than just talking? Is it because you get to see them animate more?...?
I love the designs for many of their npcs like the sculptor or ludleth but I've never felt this way. Did you also want to fight them? Or maybe not these specific ones because they dont look like actual fighters that'd stand a chance whereas the valkyrie does...?? Help me understand

or if it's an important part of the lore and there's a significant reason he is wearing someone like a robe.
I mean considering how it's one of the most unique aspects of the designs I'd expect it to have some significant lore reason. I cant think of any case where From does a really out there design just for the shake of doing it without any story behind.
Also considering it's the main piece of artwork they used to represent the core theme of "ambition of mankind" I'd say it must be pretty important 👀

I've been thinking for a while that it seems we'll encounter various notable kingdoms in the game. This is as opposed to ds1-2-3 where you'd have one main kingdom (anorlondo/drangleic/lothric) that's the focus of the game and then smaller surrounding factions.
The reason why I think that's the case is because we see some very distinct design elements in the characters that might be used to represent different armies(?)
  • we have two characters with long red hair
  • multiple knights with winged helmets (its not only the valkyrie but also the fallen warriors by the side of the giant)
  • the spear knight having a fish motifs. The giant being stabbed by multiple spears so they are common in the army of the other knight
What Im getting at is that these could all be distinc features of each kingdom. And that maybe the idea of wearing human skin is common in one of these.
Additionally, this would fit nicely with both GRRMs style and with the original leak that talked about the player visiting different kingdoms.

Last edited:
Thinking of revisiting their old catalog again this year. Last year I finished Eternal Ring, Kuon & Ninja Blade.

Wanna try Otogi but where do I start Otogi 1 or 2? Anyone played them?
Play both really. Start with 1 then go for 2. In 1 you only play as Raiko but in 2 there are multiple characters to choose. In both there are destructible environments and they both contain that from soft lore fare.

Jan 19, 2020
Bellingham

Interesting how its not the first time someone mention this exact thing (or maybe it was u with another avatar :P I'll keep your name in mind for the future)
Im curious: what is it that makes you want to fight cool looking enemies over befriending them? I too love the design but I dont really mind if I fight her or if she's just an NPC.
Is it because bosses get more of a spotlight? is it because you get to interact with them in a more interesting way than just talking? Is it because you get to see them animate more?...?
I love the designs for many of their npcs like the sculptor or ludleth but I've never felt this way. Did you also want to fight them? Or maybe not these specific ones because they dont look like actual fighters that'd stand a chance whereas the valkyrie does...?? Help me understand

I mean considering how it's one of the most unique aspects of the designs I'd expect it to have some significant lore reason. I cant think of any case where From does a really out there design just for the shake of doing it without any story behind.
Also considering it's the main piece of artwork they used to represent the core theme of "ambition of mankind" I'd say it must be pretty important 👀

I've been thinking for a while that it seems we'll encounter various notable kingdoms in the game. This is as opposed to ds1-2-3 where you'd have one main kingdom (anorlondo/drangleic/lothric) that's the focus of the game and then smaller surrounding factions.
The reason why I think that's the case is because we see some very distinct design elements in the characters that might be used to represent different armies(?)
  • multiple knights with winged helmets (its not only the valkyrie but also the fallen warriors by the side of the giant)
  • the spear knight having a fish motifs. The giant being stabbed by multiple spears so they are common in the army of the other knight
What Im getting at is that these could all be distinc features of each kingdom. And that maybe the idea of wearing human skin is common in one of these.
Additionally, this would fit nicely with both GRRMs style and with the original leak that talked about the player visiting different kingdoms.
That all actually sounds very plausible and I think would make for some good sidequests

Res

Oct 25, 2017

What Im getting at is that maybe the idea of wearing human skin is common in one of these kingdoms

All of the above, actually. There's also the musical aspect as well. Bosses with cool designs also tend to get good boss themes, imo. There's also the fact that we usually fight the figures shown in From's cinematics, so it could be a similar situation here. Also, all this kingdom talk does remind of demons souls, even though we don't really fight most of the leaders of their respective lands

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
I'll get around to it and I've already got a lot written (multiple pages worth) but I don't really want to put it out unless I feel like it's got something of value or is worth reading and I'm not sure it's there yet which is why I'm holding off. Don't know when I'll get around to finishing it as I would love to and to put it out but I don't really want to waste people's time with an unnecessary wall of text.
Mate , you clearly have no idea of which kind of desperation level we have reached 😂 I speak for myself , but I am sure I am not the only one here in this kind of state. We are people who refresh this page 10 times per day , who rewatched the same trailer in loop and have read your posts 20 - 30 times to grab any single hint and to put a smile on our face to think what are we going to experience one day.
So just be sure that any wall of text related to Elden Ring you gift us is something of value for us , no matter if it is not written as a poetry . Be sure I will read it as the most passionate book I ever read in my life as I have done with your previous posts ;)
Anyway take your time , I am already happy that you have not discarded completely the idea and you are working on it !

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
May 3080ti prices have mercy on my soul

OMG MAY 3 ELDEN RING SHADOW DROP CONFIRMED

Btw, it's always a bless to see Omni come here and drop some tidbits here and there, even with real life duties which are overwhelming him. Thank you a lot, bud.

At the same time... I know it's unpleasant to say this now and there, but the "game is still in active development and a lot of things aren't finalized" part and the complete absence of gameplay/screenshots/artworks as of today lends me to think there is still a lot to wait. At this point a 2021 release is almost certain, imho.

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
At the same time... I know it's unpleasant to say this now and there, but the "game is still in active development and a lot of things aren't finalized" part and the complete absence of gameplay/screenshots/artworks as of today lends me to think there is still a lot to wait. At this point a 2021 release is almost certain, imho.

Well , I believe games like souls are in active development and things are not finalized even 2-3 months before release, so that means nothing in my opinion. Game of course is not releasing this spring so it is obvious that it is still in active development. I think there is a chance of release date in October / November 2020 . If next trailer is released at the Xbox event in april / may they will have 6 months of full marketing campaign.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Im willing to wait if its Next Gen only

Im ready for the leap and have plenty to play in the meantime

huntsman

Dec 10, 2019
Depends on what exactly you mean by obstacles. Due to moving to an open world environment and expanding on elements of RPG gameplay you're going to have more options in approaching situations than you were able to in prior titles. Whether that be taking different routes to reach a destination or having more options in how you decide to engage with enemies. But I wouldn't expect anything particularly exciting in terms of how you the player traverse the world beyond riding your mount. I know there's been speculation and fake leaks regarding traversal abilities like bringing in Sekiro's grappling hook or high jumping or whatever but you're not getting anything like that here.

When designing gameplay systems From thinks not just about whether or not something works gameplay wise but whether or not something fits into the world it takes place in and stuff like that doesn't really fit the fantasy theming of playing a knight or a wizard. Some gameplay QoL things will be brought over from prior game where it makes sense as usual that will kind of play into the former (in giving you more options to approach situations) but I wouldn't be looking forward to anything major.

Though there's still a bit more to it than that, that does play into the pen and paper RPG aspect of things (part of the reason for the DnD namedrop)a bit but I don't really want to promise any specifics on those systems right now. The game is still in active development and a lot of things aren't finalized.

And to address something else I've been seeing: for similar reasons I wouldn't bother looking through Dark Souls 3 cut content to try to decipher what ER might be like either. When Miyazaki says "We're doing things here we couldn't do with Dark Souls" it doesn't mean "We're making a game based off of things we chose not to do with Dark Souls".
Based on the way the world of the souls games are built, there wasn't a whole lot of room to do dynamic world stuff or areas to ride a horse through because the games weren't build to accommodate for those sorts of things whereas Elden Ring of course is.

I wouldn't be worried. This is an important title for them and they take their work very seriously and they don't want to release a broken or unfinished game any more than you would want them to.

Appreciate the info. Can't wait.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Omni

How guarded are the details regarding potential Multiplayer

Are they considering changing things up or doing what they have done in the past?

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
OMG MAY 3 ELDEN RING SHADOW DROP CONFIRMED

Btw, it's always a bless to see Omni come here and drop some tidbits here and there, even with real life duties which are overwhelming him. Thank you a lot, bud.

May 30 ,2080

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if the game is actually ready but they're just waiting on GRRM to finish the rest of the lore book that's supposed to come out in tandem with the game.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
MP is in but truth be told I'm not really an MP player so I haven't really bothered to concern myself with the specifics of it.

Co Op is so fun tho!!!

Glad to hear its at least in and Ill have excited for details even if they just do the same ol password matckmaking

Been replaying DS3 with friends and forgot how much of a blast the game is during co op

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Been replaying DS3 with friends and forgot how much of a blast the game is during co op
I really enjoy random invasions and trolling others but I never did a co-op run until recently, when I played through bb with a friend
One thing that needs to be changed is that the summoned goes back to their world once the boss is defeated. Its a bit annoying that you have to summon for every other encounter

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy random invasions and trolling others but I never did a co-op run until recently, when I played through bb with a friend
One thing that needs to be changed is that the summoned goes back to their world once the boss is defeated. Its a bit annoying that you have to summon for every other encounter

Yeah would love to see Co Op iterated on

We worked around its many limitations in DS3 of which there are several. Many zones don't allow summoning at all, some zones only let you summon one ally without dried fingers, etc...

I get that Co-Op served specific design purposes and they did do several quality of life updates for DS3 and BB that made things a lot easier but I am with you

Seeing it iterated further would be awesome

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
I just had the image of a group of co-op players going through the game without having to disband, getting ambushed by a group of invaders in a forest.

I'm jonesing for some multiplayer deets!

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Not interested in multiplayer really but there is no denying it gives their games a lot of legs and replay value. People loved multiplayer in souls so I get why it's present here.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
I love watching the silly videos people create and put up on Youtube doing wild stuff in these games and I can only begin to imagine what kind of wild stuff people will be able to put together with this title and its new systems
Still cant figure out what this was about
Maybe its related to speedrunning? with a fully open world, speeedruns are bound to be crazier than what we are used to
maybe the part about putting up silly videos has to do with the way the new AI interacts with the player?
Or maybe im just reading too much into it

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Still cant figure out what this was about
Maybe its related to speedrunning? with a fully open world, speeedruns are bound to be crazier than what we are used to
maybe the part about putting up silly videos has to do with the way the new AI interacts with the player?
Or maybe im just reading too much into it

Where do we even begin!

People do so many hilarious things in these games

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for any cryptic combat info, if it is forthcoming.

Im hoping to see in ER:
. Character skills progression; something like Sekiro where you could get various special abilities that are yours and not tied to any particular equipment.
. A better risk/reward system for counters and removing backstabs altogether.
. A better magic system and better magic all around.

Tonswelt

Aug 25, 2018
Germany
The only Souls games where I finished my replay playthroughs were Bloodborne and Dark Souls 1. The platinum trophy held me over in Bloodborne and the shock of losing my save file after finishing Dark Souls 1 made me rush through the entire game again right after beating Gwynn for the first time (not fighting him the second time).
I don't want to count how many abandoned characters I've accumulated across all of the Souls games...

That's why I love coop so much! I must've played through Dark Souls 3 the most simply because of my friends wanting someone to accompany them on their journey. I couldn't care less about PVP but I hope Elden Ring coop will offer me an incentive to replay the game again and again (...as long as any of my friends will follow through on the whole game)

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I know they won't use Sekiro as a template for traversal, but I really hope there are tangible improvements to it, and I mean that apart from the horse. I don't need even a jump button (which would be nice anyway) but some sort of vault/climb/context jumping button for pre planned platforming and verticality at small scale rather than just stairs stairs falls elevators stairs.

And I think the combat and traversal will both reflect the higher/new fantasy in that regard; faster and flashier gameplay but even still with armor and huge as fuck weapons, maybe if your stats allow it. Less weighty and (even less) realistic maybe but after Sekiro's animations who cares, this is a different world, new and less constricted, they can do whatever that looks cool and makes sense in its lore. Maybe not swimming in armor or probably at all, as that would be too much, and probably still subject to stats for fat rolling or poise.

And retaining some of the mechanics of Sekiro's stealth to substitute the backstab would be cool too, what with roaming enemies and varied approaches to a same place and strategies and all. This has to be a thing. Would be cool with new magics too maybe for partial invisibility and dealing with crit chances or something like DnD hold person that needs a stealthy long cast.

Ahhh I was supposed to not come by this thread until new info lol.

Btw thanks for confirming a couple things Omni like day and night and some kind of weather and that last gameplay related post overall. Just knowing that each area can look different depending on circumstances is good to hear, even if it's just aesthetic. For me these games are more and more about atmosphere as that makes exploration more engaging. I just hope loot stays the same as souls because exploring for the sake of getting whatever I can get from monsters too becomes old very fast (please don't be Diablolike, one Nioh is enough).

Oh and also how I wish they left stamina based combat behind. I really hope they find/invent some other system to keep you from mindlessly attacking this time, as Sekiro did with parry and posture. At least and linking back to my first/second paragraph, make the stamina system more forgiving and add something new on top of it. I know it will mostly be souls again but I think it deserves (and we) some spin on it.

Last edited:

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Oh and also how I wish they left stamina based combat behind. I really hope they find/invent some other system to keep you from mindlessly attacking this time, as Sekiro did with parry and posture
Never played nioh but I've looked into it and i really like the way they dealt with stamina
Basically you are still limited by it, but with some good timing you can perform a combination of moves that will give you back the stamina you just used.
i think its great because it adds an extra layer of complexity that rewards the more skilled players with unlimited stamina while also making the moment to moment combat more interesting, as you now need to keep track on another element on top of your enemy.
The game expects you to use it so it doesnt break or turn into easy mode when you master it but it's also not forced so new players dont need to focus on it if they still need to improve on the basics of combat

In a way its similar to bloodborne's recovery system. Risk/reward is involved but you have a change of gaining some health (in this case stamina) back

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Nioh has lore and reason to support the ki recovery system, and it's unique to it. It's cool and rhythmic although complicated. I just want new things and also there's Nioh 2 soon (with the same crappy loot system though).

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Nioh has lore and reason to support the ki recovery system, and it's unique to it. It's cool and rhythmic although complicated. I just want new things and also there's Nioh 2 soon (with the same crappy loot system though).
In no way I want From to copy another game's system. I just used it as an example of other already existing systems that make use of stamina but its not as rigid as souls

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
In no way I want From to copy another game's system. I just used it as an example of other already existing systems that make use of stamina but its not as rigid as souls

Oh ok, makes sense. Yet, Nioh is still purely stamina based and you get often very limited by it on bosses, and it ends up being a management game of attaching and recovering as fast as possible so you have to endure less time. For Elden Ring what I'd like is precisely the opposite of complicating the stamina mechanics anyway, even if it trivializes the combat on first examination.

I think From could, and should, find the next big thing for a simple yet deep and technical combat system. Well they already did with Sekiro (I like that game too much) but that doesn't exactly translate to a medieval fantasy rpg.

Anyway I'm sure the game will end up the same (as souls) in this regard.

Fullmetallad

Jun 1, 2019
Found this piece of art on ArtStation and it fed my imagination a bit, the artist named it ''Don't worry mom i'll find dad!''.
I don't know, just though this boy would be a cool NPC for Elden Ring, traveling with his pet in search of his father, and maybe at the end of his questline you would get the Moonlight Greatsword. And it made me think of another thing... are we going to have other types of friendly/inoffensive animals/creatures just chilling on the world? Or will it be just our mount/horse? Anyways, it's amazing how there's a bunch of amazing art out there and how they can spark the imagination and make me day dream about the possibilities of Elden Ring's world.
d34SXZS.jpg

Gwenori

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
To omni, is the actual 3d space vast enough to justify riding a horse ? i have seen plenty of open worlds or mmo with mounts with a lot of "big-ish" corridors for a map

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Speaking of which, I hope there are mounts other than horses, gimme some weird ass creature From!

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
To omni, is the actual 3d space vast enough to justify riding a horse ? i have seen plenty of open worlds or mmo with mounts with a lot of "big-ish" corridors for a map
...yes? This is a bit of an odd question. The past games are already at the point of "big corridors" for the map. So if it was just a direct continuation of that design then I don't think From would bother adding mounts if they didn't feel that they were either necessary or at the very least, added something meaningful. But I don't personally know of many (if any) games like the ones you're reffering to so I'm not really sure by what you're definition of "vast enough" is. But beyond just point A to B traversal a mount will be valuable in quickly avoiding or escaping danger.

But there will be open sections as well as more "corridor-like sections" like past games.

AAFCC

Dec 2, 2019
...yes? This is a bit of an odd question. The past games are already at the point of "big corridors" for the map. So if it was just a direct continuation of that design then I don't think From would bother adding mounts if they didn't feel that they were either necessary or at the very least, added something meaningful. But I don't personally know of many (if any) games like the ones you're reffering to so I'm not really sure by what you're definition of "vast enough" is. But beyond just point A to B traversal a mount will be valuable in quickly avoiding or escaping danger.

But there will be open sections as well as more "corridor-like sections" like past games.
Omni do you think this new game is really bigger in scope compared to their others or just a bit larger in map ? I mean , are we going to expect a game that takes the usual 20/30 hours to complete or are we talking of a 50 / 100 hours game ?
Even if you said ER open world has nothing to do with games like skyrim or The witcher 3 , do you think the scope of this game is similar to them or is " just " a larger Dark souls?

I hope for this game to be THE next fantasy masterpiece like it was Skyrim and TW3 after it . Maybe I am just exaggerating ;)

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
We still getting cut content

Yes indeed
Its a shame the new lance mcdonald vid isnt that substantial if you already knew about the cut voice lines from the minister (which were datamined back in 2018)
its basically a restored npc (which is still a TON of work but not that interesting as I already knew what he had to say)
I wish they'd dig deeper into the cut ds3 area named God's Grave. I thought he wasnt doing a video on it because there wasnt that much to it but considering how little new content we got in this video i'd be happy if they just released some footage of the mesh collision of that area

Speaking of which, I hope there are mounts other than horses, gimme some weird ass creature From!
I...wouldnt count on it?
From usually has players very grounded when compared to the rest of the world. Giving the players some kind of undead horse (or any other mount that's very out there) is taking a step in the power fantasy aspect of things, which From doesnt really do.
They dont want you to feel like an unique hero but as just another lowly knight
I guess they'd give you weird mounts if these were as common as something like hollowing is in dark souls...but I dont really see that happening

Omni do you think this new game is really bigger in scope compared to their others or just a bit larger in map ?
Its silly to expect something on the scale of tw3 or skyrim but also this is clearly bigger than past titles
I mean it has already been confirmed by them in interviews but its also clear in the omnipost that this is a way more ambitious project
Take into account the developement time also. We know ER started full dev in early 2017 but the game already existed in some capacity in 2016 as part of the "3 games deal". There's a big chance this releases in 2021 after close to 5 years of developement.

Gwenori

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
But I don't personally know of many (if any) games like the ones you're reffering to

darksiders 2, some areas of the mmo terra, and most of the anime style eastern mmos.

Twilight princess, had a lot of fields connected by corridors. those field themselves were not that vast either as you would come in contact with their edges a lot.

games like dragons dogma, nier tomatos, and SOTC for example feel large enough as you dont really come in contact with the edges of the map, or at least you dont really feel it.

basically, do these vast open field miyazaki talked about, feel vast and open or can you constantly see that obvious "ground elevation or whatever else" that signals the end of the map.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Omni do you think this new game is really bigger in scope compared to their others or just a bit larger in map ? I mean , are we going to expect a game that takes the usual 20/30 hours to complete or are we talking of a 50 / 100 hours game ?
Even if you said ER open world has nothing to do with games like skyrim or The witcher 3 , do you think the scope of this game is similar to them or is " just " a larger Dark souls?
I don't have an estimate for playtime but ultimately for any game your playtime is going to depend on your skill level and how much content you decide to engage with which is really the best I answer I can give you. I can't compare it to W3 or Skyrim as a lot of time spent in those games is spent in instances of many hours of dialogue and or cutscenes, of which there is obviously comparatively very little in From games.

You're comparing apples to oranges. They may all be medieval ARPG games but they're constructed so differently that there's nothing worthwhile to be gleamed from comparing them.

And in general questions like this I can't really give a satisfying answer. Youre just going to have to be patient and let From talk about it themselves. I'm not a marketing guy and I'm not sitting at home with a book full of every exact final detail of the game (nor is anyone else as the game is unfinished and as Lance's videos have shown, lots of things are changing throughout development all the time).

darksiders 2, some areas of the mmo terra, and most of the anime style eastern mmos.

Twilight princess, had a lot of fields connected by corridors. those field themselves were not that vast either as you would come in contact with their edges a lot.

games like dragons dogma, nier tomatos, and SOTC for example feel large enough as you dont really come in contact with the edges of the map, or at least you dont really feel it.
Well, I had already made the comparison to SOTC if that matters.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I...wouldnt count on it?
From usually has players very grounded when compared to the rest of the world. Giving the players some kind of undead horse (or any other mount that's very out there) is taking a step in the power fantasy aspect of things, which From doesnt really do.
They dont want you to feel like an unique hero but as just another lowly knight
I guess they'd give you weird mounts if these were as common as something like hollowing is in dark souls...but I dont really see that happening
I was thinking of more "earthly" creatures that aren't horses (so, nothing supernatural or magical, just fictional animals seeing as this is a new universe), but yeah, you have a good point, the player is usually as normal as it gets in comparison to enemies and the locales.

I've been exhausted of medieval fantasy for the longest, but honestly? I'm so incredibly ready for this, especially with how unique and horror-oriented From can get. My recent reread of Berserk might have something to do with it, as well as speedruns of Dark Souls I've been watching lately.

I'm already imagining long fields of grass leading to a meticulously designed castle and man.