• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 35653

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I would not get my hope up for the first Summer Fest if I were you
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme...ama/fp67j5l?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

I asked him about Elden Ring couple of days ago, he said that he didn't have any news. If Geoff Keighley - the master of Summer Game Fest - has ZERO information about Elden Ring, it's safe to assume that Elden Ring won't be on this event and whatever Bandai Namco will show, it will be at best Tales of Arise, they won't likely show Elden Ring on Geoff's show, of course unless Geoff lied to me however I am sure he didn't considering he is a reputed man. He genuinely didn't know anything about the game and I don't think he knows anything at all at the moment

Just wait for the IGN event

Or wait until August.
Thank you very much! I thought Geoff would know something since the trailer of DS2 and the Sekiro teaser dropped in his events. But IGN also got coverage for BB and DS3. The waiting game continues.

Vivaladragon

May 5, 2020
In light of what Omni said about what the Elden Ring is, I think the line "That which commanded the stars" might be more literal then we think. Omni compared the ER to the atmosphere or the magnetic field, both of which are barrier... things.

I think the ER was something like the barrier of stars at the edge of the world, like those old depictions of the universe. The fact that the ER is shattered might be one of two things:

1. Most if not all of the stars are gone
2. The stars are still there, but for some reason they are no longer functioning to form a proper barrier

edit: basically something like this:

Last edited:

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
Daily reminder that this amazing quote from Omni's last post exists:
...What happens to the land without it, its people, its visible and tangible effects.

What happens when the barrier comes down and all the worst and unimaginable things it was keeping out start to make their way in.

When someone you once knew becomes something.

When existence itself and everything within and around it just stops working as intended...

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
The wait is hard and long but I'm trying to keep myself occupied by playing my backlog. Its pretty big..

Yatahaze

Jun 17, 2018
I haven't been able to play anything recently, hoping Elden Ring can do what Demon's Souls was able to do for me back in '09.

phaerodox

Apr 8, 2020
In light of what Omni said about what the Elden Ring is, I think the line "That which commanded the stars" might be more literal then we think. Omni compared the ER to the atmosphere or the magnetic field, both of which are barrier... things.

I think the ER was something like the barrier of stars at the edge of the world, like those old depictions of the universe. The fact that the ER is shattered might be one of two things:

1. Most if not all of the stars are gone
2. The stars are still there, but for some reason they are no longer functioning to form a proper barrier

edit: basically something like this:
Personally I think it was a barrier like you said. I theorize it was a barrier between dimensions so to speak, and with it gone, monsters/beings from other dimensions are able to cross the veil that once separated these dimensions. Maybe even certain diseases or something came through as well. I can totally see this also being the lore explanation for co-op and invasions.

I'm thinking there are a certain group of people that facilitated the shattering of the Elden Ring. Perhaps they worshiped the Gods/beings that inhabited on the other side and wanted to unleash them upon the world (or they made contact and were commanded to break the Elden Ring). Like any other From Software game, I'm also thinking at some point we will be given a choice to repair the Elden Ring, or let the world continue to be overrun with the beings from the other side.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
The conplaint that the game was ahown too early is such a lazy and honestly really annoying one. How could you know whether or not the game was revealed too early if you have no clue as to how the game's development is going to begin with.

The game wasn't revealed in 2012 and being rerevealed in 2018.

Maybe, just maybe things don't always go according to plan.

Things were meant to happen, but they didn't and that's just the reality of developing and releasing a product, it happens all the time. Because sometimes you need to keep your plans fluid and change things along the way because it's ultimately better for your product.

And no despite months of lying and advertising from certain parties, it's not because of Phil Spencer or Microsoft.

Crazeeyak

May 31, 2019
When it comes to theming, we get our most substantial information from the XBox News interview.

Wilkinson: What can you teach us about the character shown in the concept art that was released?

Miyazaki:
We chose this character because of his eccentric aspects as well as the way he portrays the darkness that the world and story possess. While Elden Ring may be a classic dark fantasy title, it is more than just that. This character also represents one more theme in addition to the previously mentioned eccentricity. That theme is the will, or ambition of mankind.

Here is the image for reference:
a_01.jpg

I often see that the "ambition of mankind" is interpreted as being a positive thing by people, mentioned alongside it being a brighter game. However, Miyazaki says this character represents both the darkness of the world and the ambition of mankind. The dude is wearing someone's skin and standing in a place that is on fire holding a sword. Given all of this, I'd say the ambition of mankind in Elden Ring is not a good thing (not that it might not have a duality or other facets, I'm sure it will be more nuanced than that), and that all of this gives me a sense of mankind conquering and destroying.

So to bring it back to the discussion about the barrier Omni mentioned and the grand mystery of the shattering of the Elden Ring, I am tempted to feel that there is a decent possibility that mankind lead some sort of rebellion against the gods/ruling forces of the world, or just tried to elevate themselves above their station, and the Elden Ring was shattered by mankind (or a faction of mankind). This goes back to things like the apple in Eden, Prometheus stealing fire (which leads to Pandora's box), the Tower of Babel, etc.

It is speculation, but with the information we have, I don't think it is completely out of bounds.

Whirlpool

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would not get my hope up for the first Summer Fest if I were you
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme...ama/fp67j5l?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

I asked him about Elden Ring couple of days ago, he said that he didn't have any news. If Geoff Keighley - the master of Summer Game Fest - has ZERO information about Elden Ring, it's safe to assume that Elden Ring won't be on this event and whatever Bandai Namco will show, it will be at best Tales of Arise, they won't likely show Elden Ring on Geoff's show, of course unless Geoff lied to me however I am sure he didn't considering he is a reputed man. He genuinely didn't know anything about the game and I don't think he knows anything at all at the moment

Just wait for the IGN event

Or wait until August.

To be honest, even if he did have information the answer would probably be similar. Geoff isn't going to spoil a reveal that'll be in an event coming up. When someone else asked, he said "No specific title announcements today." Which is code for "I'm not here to spoil reveals."

But you're still right in that we shouldn't get our hopes up.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
The conplaint that the game was ahown too early is such a lazy and honestly really annoying one. How could you know whether or not the game was revealed too early if you have no clue as to how the game's development is going to begin with.

Things were meant to happen, but they didn't and that's just the reality of developing and releasing a product, it happens all the time. Because sometimes you need to keep your plans fluid and change things along the way because it's ultimately better for your product.

And no despite months of lying and advertising from certain parties, it's not because of Phil Spencer or Microsoft.
Yeah I keep saying that a 1 year or even a 2 year wait is really not that special of an occurrence in the gaming industry at large. From Software just seem to have an incredibly efficient pipeline with the rate they churn out their games (I'm still mind blown that Dark Souls only took them two years!) and if they're expanding their vision and going bigger with ER it's natural things will take more time.

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt

Good, let them take their time. I'm sure they want to show us their game as much as we want to see it.
When it comes to theming, we get our most substantial information from the XBox News interview.

Here is the image for reference:
a_01.jpg

I often see that the "ambition of mankind" is interpreted as being a positive thing by people, mentioned alongside it being a brighter game. However, Miyazaki says this character represents both the darkness of the world and the ambition of mankind. The dude is wearing someone's skin and standing in a place that is on fire holding a sword. Given all of this, I'd say the ambition of mankind in Elden Ring is not a good thing (not that it might not have a duality or other facets, I'm sure it will be more nuanced than that), and that all of this gives me a sense of mankind conquering and destroying.

So to bring it back to the discussion about the barrier Omni mentioned and the grand mystery of the shattering of the Elden Ring, I am tempted to feel that there is a decent possibility that mankind lead some sort of rebellion against the gods/ruling forces of the world, or just tried to elevate themselves above their station, and the Elden Ring was shattered by mankind (or a faction of mankind). This goes back to things like the apple in Eden, Prometheus stealing fire (which leads to Pandora's box), the Tower of Babel, etc.

It is speculation, but with the information we have, I don't think it is completely out of bounds.
So mankind shattered the Elden Ring because they want to challenge the otherwordly creatures and gods? i like this idea.
No seriously, in the previous From games. Mankind were always the underdogs. Hollows were used by Gwyn, Hunters manipulated by Great Ones. This time we are the conquerors. I Love it. Gives me Demon's Souls demonslayer vibes.

Crazeeyak

May 31, 2019
So mankind shattered the Elden Ring because they want to challenge the otherwordly creatures and gods? i like this idea.
No seriously, in the previous From games. Mankind were always the underdogs. Hollows were used by Gwyn, Hunters manipulated by Great Ones. This time we are the conquerors. I Love it. Gives me Demon's Souls demonslayer vibes.

I see it as kind of a similar vein to Bloodborne, where a lot of the atrocities and messed up shit were in service of humans trying to transcend. But where the gods of Bloodborne are cosmic alien beings, I think the gods of Elden Ring are more likely to be characters with motivations. Potentially similar to Shadowrun dragons and how they're the only thing keeping a bunch of horrible shit from getting through, but they're also kind of terrible. This is based upon nothing, but say the Elden Ring, force that governs the universe and is something of a protector against interdimensional/cosmic entities is viewed by humans in some way as holding them back and through an ensuing conflict is destroyed, which then unleashes a whole load of shit, and how mad/vengeful/twisted some of the deities of that world might be.

cnnz

Apr 24, 2020

I also think the game was shown too early, but that's just a feeling, not a personal complaint against From, Xbox or Bamco. It also has nothing to do with how i think the development is going, or when it will release. For me it is just about the lack of any official life sign. I was very hyped when it was revealed and i don't think it's a lazy complaint, when people geniunely feel a little bit sad about the silence.

Deleted member 35653

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I also think the game was shown too early, but that's just a feeling, not a personal complaint against From, Xbox or Bamco. It also has nothing to do with how i think the development is going, or when it will release. For me it is just about the lack of any official life sign. I was very hyped when it was revealed and i don't think it's a lazy complaint, when people geniunely feel a little bit sad about the silence.
Worded perfectly. People have to keep in mind we always talk from our perspective, time is relative in many senses, maybe we expected the usual FROM advertising and now we are disappointed, not by FROM but by the expectations we had.

dieselgraves

Apr 24, 2020
Going off what omni said, I don't think it was shown too early at all but instead i imagine whatever they were going for didn't go according to plan (development issues or whatnot) and they just haven't shown anything since then

phaerodox

Apr 8, 2020
Take this for what you will, but the rumor is the game was supposed to launch in Early 2020. If that is the case then no, the game wasn't shown too early. I think by Omni saying it's "lazy" is him saying these people aren't putting too much thought into the possibilities of why it was shown when it was.

It's possible they were going to show more footage at some other gaming event that ended up being canceled. After this their marketing campaign would begin and then a few months later the game is out. Literally anything could've happened. Development trouble due to things not turning out how they envisioned, maybe they decided to take more time to sharpen certain things up, or maybe COVID-19 had a really big impact on their schedule. By saying they showed the game too early is, in a way, assuming they planned to be silent for this long and I honestly don't think thats the case at all.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hesitant to label "development issues" just yet. There being an important interruption to a planned 9 month wait from announcement to first info drop still sounds very reasonable.

lucancel

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Maybe things don't always go according to plan.

Things were meant to happen, but they didn't and that's just the reality of developing and releasing a product, it happens all the time. Because sometimes you need to keep your plans fluid and change things along the way because it's ultimately better for your product
Better late than early but flawed.
I fear the grr Martin partnership was an hazard (because really he can make fans wait a lot, see the book many are waiting for 9/10 years) and also grapichs problems of the engine on current gen since that is a clear fromsoftware weakness and maybe the scope of ER Is just too much for old generation ...

Crazeeyak

May 31, 2019
I don't think GRRM has anything to do with it. In his blog post Martin said, "I've consulted on a video game out of Japan". The past tense implies his role was already completed.

Deleted member 35653

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Better late than early but flawed.
I fear the grr Martin partnership was an hazard (because really he can make fans wait a lot, see the book many are waiting for 9/10 years) and also grapichs problems of the engine on current gen since that is a clear fromsoftware weakness and maybe the scope of ER Is just too much for old generation ...
So you think they may have re-thought their plans for a current gen release? It would make sense and I hope so, I really fear another Blighttown, this time multiplied. But I also think they may have hired someone who is more expert in OW architecture.

cnnz

Apr 24, 2020
Going off what omni said, I don't think it was shown too early at all but instead i imagine whatever they were going for didn't go according to plan (development issues or whatnot) and they just haven't shown anything since then

But that's exactly what i was talking about. It's purely about the lack of info, not why it led to that silence. It is very likely to assume that the silence wasn't planned. But that doesn't mean that it was *retrospectively* announced too early. Again - nothing against From, Bamco or whoever else may play a role in the publication/development of the game - There is no preparation for such a sitatuon we currently live in, nobody could have predicted that; Besides a million other possible reasons why not to show something.

Sorry when my points are not as clear as from other members of the community who are obviously well versed in writing in english. I'm not a native speaker.

So - the game wasn't shown too early, but with the current situation most people just wish From/Bamco would have revealed it later, so the (retrospectively not forseeable) situation we are now in, would be only 5 months of nothing instead of 10. Just feelings, they don't habe to be one hundred percent reasonable every time :D

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think GRRM has anything to do with it. In his blog post Martin said, "I've consulted on a video game out of Japan". The past tense implies his role was already completed.
In the big interview they posted after the trailer drop, it was said that Martin made a tiny book or booklet about the mythos of the world and the team uses that as a guide to expand stuff on, and they toyed with the idea of releasing that but it certainly exists in their game documentation.

Crazeeyak

May 31, 2019
So you think they may have re-thought their plans for a current gen release? It would make sense and I hope so, I really fear another Blighttown, this time multiplied. But I also think they may have hired someone who is more expert in OW architecture.

I very much doubt they would cancel a PS4/XBO release after advertising it, and I don't think they would announce platforms without being confident that it would work on the platforms they announce.

In the big interview they posted after the trailer drop, it was said that Martin made a tiny book or booklet about the mythos of the world and the team uses that as a guide to expand stuff on, and they toyed with the idea of releasing that but it certainly exists in their game documentation.

Yeah exactly! So as of June 2019 they already had what they needed from Martin, and at that point I don't think whatever changed things had occurred.

I will be very interested in learning what did change their roadmap, I'm curious what the "mundane" reason is.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
It has nothing to do with GRRM or development issues and such speculation is really just wasting time making mountains out of molehills. The game is fine. They just decided to make a decision not to show it for valid and ultimately "mundane" reasons, meaning there's no juicy secrets or conspiracies worth speculating about.

Beyond that, those who have been paying attention will have noticed that it's not the only Bandai game in this situation, because there are other reasons, outside of From's control and outside of Bandai's for that that involve the realities of doing business.

Beyond even that the industry and world as a whole has spent the last few months in a period of uncertainty given that there's a deadly and highly contagious virus roaming around which has also affected many things.

cnnz

Apr 24, 2020
I think by Omni saying it's "lazy" is him saying these people aren't putting too much thought into the possibilities of why it was shown when it was.

If you see the E3 reveal as the equivalent to the first teaser thing we saw from sekiro (the game didn't even had a name back then), From isn't even behind their typical schedule. My personal guess would be, that the E3 reveal was initially planned as something like the "prosthetic arm teaser" from sekiro, but due to GRRM's name attached to the whole project, From Software maybe wanted to get something out that is easier to remember/refer to, hence the name reveal.

so my guess is:
George's name needed to be dropped because GoT fans were still all over the internet and they couldn't just *not* reveal the name of the game, after letting us know that their current project is a collab with GRRM. Now we had a situation where we got 2 big names in the industry + the game's name, so a little cgi *had to* follow.

Crazeeyak

May 31, 2019
It has nothing to do with GRRM or development issues and such speculation is really just wasting timd making mountains out of molehills. The game is fine. They just decided to make a decision not to show it for valid and ultimately "mundane" reasons, meaning there's no juicy secrets or conspiracies worth speculating about.

Beyond that, those who have been paying attention will have noticed that it's not the only Bandai game in this situation, because there are other reasons, outside of From's control and outside of Bandai's for that that involve the realities of doing business.

Beyond even that the industry and world as a whole has spent the last few months in a period of uncertainty given that there's a deadly and highly contagious virus roaming around which has also affected many things.

There we go, just some business nonsense. And also a big fucking pandemic. That's enough for me to just cruise through the summer and if something shows up cool, but otherwise, it is what it is.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
take TLOU2 for example, the game had showings 2 years apart each. 2016 reveal, 18 gameplay and 20 launch.

it's really normal even if we only see it next year.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
It has nothing to do with GRRM or development issues and such speculation is really just wasting time making mountains out of molehills. The game is fine. They just decided to make a decision not to show it for valid and ultimately "mundane" reasons, meaning there's no juicy secrets or conspiracies worth speculating about.

It's like people are ignoring that Tales of Arise is in a very similar position to ER. This isn't an ER thing....

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
So the game was delayed because they wanted to add mundane upgrade path to weapons? is it really that important??

I see it as kind of a similar vein to Bloodborne, where a lot of the atrocities and messed up shit were in service of humans trying to transcend. But where the gods of Bloodborne are cosmic alien beings, I think the gods of Elden Ring are more likely to be characters with motivations. Potentially similar to Shadowrun dragons and how they're the only thing keeping a bunch of horrible shit from getting through, but they're also kind of terrible. This is based upon nothing, but say the Elden Ring, force that governs the universe and is something of a protector against interdimensional/cosmic entities is viewed by humans in some way as holding them back and through an ensuing conflict is destroyed, which then unleashes a whole load of shit, and how mad/vengeful/twisted some of the deities of that world might be.
Reading all the speculations reminds me that From are at their best when creating new worlds. I really hope that if one day they decided to tackle the gothic horror genre again, they try something original and not Bloodborne 2

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Reading all the speculation reminds me that From are at their best when creating new worlds. I really hope that if one day they decided to tackle the gothic horror genre again, they try something original and not Bloodborne 2
Anything horror really, I'm so down for that down the road. Right now I'm all about ER.

Crazeeyak

May 31, 2019
I agree 100%. My top From games are Dark Souls 1, Demon's Souls, and Bloodborne because of that. They can go big on concepts without being tied down by continuity. I would love an iteration on trick weapons, but I would want a "spiritual successor" situation. You can't do the Bloodborne trick again, the setting and story would need to be something new for it to shine. I always kind of thought maybe a Western style Bloodborne sequel could be interesting.

Something else that has me very excited about Elden Ring is that this will be the first game since about Dark Souls 1 where you have an entirely new world with new lands/mythology/etc. and a whole bunch of gear and weapons to find and learn about the world. Bloodborne and Sekiro were both new worlds, but Sekiro is kind of a different thing, and both Sekiro and Bloodborne have a lot less items than Dark Souls and the stories are different in scope. I'm looking forward to a big fantasy world with a bunch of different lands and races that will be fleshed out across hundreds of item descriptions....

...hoo boy. Is it hot in here? I'm feeling a bit hot right now.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Reading all the speculations reminds me that From are at their best when creating new worlds. I really hope that if one day they decided to tackle the gothic horror genre again, they try something original and not Bloodborne 2
While the former has plenty of truth to it, who's to say we wouldn't see some insanely cool worlds in a theoretical Bloodborne 2? What if it were a prequel of sorts and we find out what happens with the Pthumerians?

Besides that, I don't see them revisiting gothic horror and it *not* being Bloodborne related.

OP
OP
Mifec

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
It also probably wasn't delayed because of next gen versions either, doubt From are hurrying with those if DS2, SOFTS and DS:R are any indication.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Something else that has me very excited about Elden Ring is that this will be the first game since about Dark Souls 1 where you have an entirely new world with new lands/mythology/etc.
This is why new IP's are so damn exciting. This game will consume my life, just like Dark Souls did back in the day.