• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Damn, that sounds great. How did the footage look?
The boss fight looked quite Soulsy - the long range gunfire reminded me of Virtua On, that's my frame of reference, I'm not a mech fan and haven't played any AC games. The player character in a white mech went in close to the bigger robot boss and fought with like an energy or laser sword, this looked Souls-style.

The field gameplay, the player in the same white mech seemed to be following a couple of other players in the distance (co-op?) and they were walking (flying close to the ground maybe) through a snowy area towards either a large wall or gate, this seemed Soulsy too, the vastness of the architecture, but it wasn't a castle more like a worn down metal/stone wall or gate. It was quite short.

The survey listed a choice of titles for the game, so I guess that hasn't been decided on yet. Most of them were Armoured Core: [Something] including just "Armoured Core" and both AC: 6, AC: VI, and other subtitles I can't remember, some of the choices didn't include AC in the name at all.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I've just finished doing a consumer survey about a new Armoured Core game with description, screenshots and two 30 second-ish videos of gameplay - the first a boss fight and the second more in-world gameplay, a snow area. The screenshots are unique ID watermarked, so probably not a good idea to post but I did screenshot the text description.

If this isn't ok to post, mods please edit this - I don't want to get anyone (including myself) in to trouble, but I was pretty amazed to be watching footage of an upcoming From Soft game randomly this morning, quite unexpected!!

1drjgf.png
27pjyh.png
Uuuuhhhhhh. HOLY SHIT.

Lakitu

Dec 8, 2017
The boss fight looked quite Soulsy - the long range gunfire reminded me of Virtua On, that's my frame of reference, I'm not a mech fan and haven't played any AC games. The player character in a white mech went in close to the bigger robot boss and fought with like an energy or laser sword, this looked Souls-style.

The field gameplay, the player in the same white mech seemed to be following a couple of other players in the distance (co-op?) and they were walking (flying close to the ground maybe) through a snowy area towards either a large wall or gate, this seemed Soulsy too, the vastness of the architecture, but it wasn't a castle more like a worn down metal/stone wall or gate. It was quite short.

Sounds good. I'm not a mecha fan either but did it look like something you would want to play?

fantalas

Nov 15, 2020
Hungary
Normally I'm not into mecha but reading that gameplay description sounds pretty exciting. Plus it's a unique world by Miyazaki so I might end up liking it who knows.

What's the pacing of an AC game? Is it story/mission based or level-based like a souls game, is there any exploration? The description makes it sound like there are some open-world elements, was that in the previous AC games too?

Last edited:

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I've just finished doing a consumer survey about a new Armoured Core game with description, screenshots and two 30 second-ish videos of gameplay - the first a boss fight and the second more in-world gameplay, a snow area. The screenshots are unique ID watermarked, so probably not a good idea to post but I did screenshot the text description.

If this isn't ok to post, mods please edit this - I don't want to get anyone (including myself) in to trouble, but I was pretty amazed to be watching footage of an upcoming From Soft game randomly this morning, quite unexpected!!

1drjgf.png
27pjyh.png

bruh, this game is probably almost finished at this point. I guess they will announce release date for second half of the year. Not the biggest fan of mecha games but Miyazaki has worked on it, so i need to play it.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017

1drjgf.png
27pjyh.png

👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀 ooooohhhhmyyygoooodddddddd

serdarkny

Nov 10, 2018
I kinda don't want it to be directed/written by Miyazaki tbh. Non-Miyazaki From games always had their unique flavor that I wouldn't mind to see a comeback of. Hopefully this also means we get some great From Soft composers like Kota Hoshino back doing the ost.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

1drjgf.png
27pjyh.png
Is it ok to make a thread on this?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is it ok to make a thread on this?
Absolutely. I know 'new news, new thread' but I'm not a thread poster type, so came to this thread.

Need those screenshots.
I did screenshot them too, but they're ID watermarked so weary about posting them. The video was streaming and watermarked, so couldn't save that even if I wanted to.

The screenshots were not huge and 8 in total.
1. More snowy area, player character in the air firing down on a street with vehicles below (tanks? cars?)
2. A smoke-filled aerial shot with an enemy in the distance.
3. A darker green/grey toned area gunfire and light/fire coming from the combat everywhere.
4. Snowy area again, ground-based combat against a similar sized enemy (pvp?)
5-8: These four looked like boss fight shots:
5. A bigger humanoid mech, white/grey. Player character has red lights on their mech, on ankles, shoulders and lower back.
6. A huge, tall armoured tank boss.
7. Difficult to make out, player on right, enemy another humanoid mech on left a yellow/gold slash(?) effect I think the player is attacking the enemy with a melee attack.
8. Gunfire battle with a circular yellow effect in front of player character - blocking the gunfire with shields or some attack? Shape and colour reminds me of the Heal miracle in Dark Souls, golden circle.

Last edited:

cdudeachyut

Jun 4, 2021

1drjgf.png
27pjyh.png
Has Miyazaki worked on an AC game before? Haven't played any of them but seems like this is gonna be what Sekiro was to Tenchu.

master_Willem

Dec 3, 2018
Fishing Hamlet
Absolutely. I know 'new news, new thread' but I'm not a thread poster type, so came to this thread.

I did screenshot them too, but they're ID watermarked so weary about posting them. The video was streaming and watermarked, so couldn't save that even if I wanted to.

1. More snowy area, player character in the air firing down on a street with vehicles below (tanks? cars?)
3. A darker green/grey toned area gunfire and light/fire coming from the combat everywhere.
5. A bigger humanoid mech, white/grey. Player character has red lights on their mech, on ankles, shoulders and lower back.
7. Difficult to make out, player on right, enemy another humanoid mech on left a yellow/gold slash(?) effect I think the player is attacking the enemy with a melee attack.
8. Gunfire battle with a circular yellow effect in front of player character - blocking the gunfire with shields or some attack? Shape and colour reminds me of the Heal miracle in Dark Souls, golden circle.

How was the video you've seen as a graphical side ? I never played armored core games before and im wondering if the player movement, pacing etc. is more similar to the souls games or even faster like dmc ?

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I have hope for a new AC game to be great. I want to see how they balance the intricate mech building of the old games for a new audience who will buy anything by From and Miyazaki.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't need convincing that it'll be a special game, considering Miyazaki's tastes, things will be fun. It's nice that costumization will still be part of it, and the seemingly new world setting will be quite fun now that they can let loose with ancient sci-fi weapons instead of ancient magic. Maybe it'll set a fire under the asses of content creators for any Armored Core retrospectives on youtube. If this new game will be to Armored Core what Dark Souls was to King's Field, i'd be very happy since people will try them out more.

AhiKuma

Banned
Sep 28, 2021
I rather they just do a modernized version of the formula rather put some bit of souls DNA into it.

Preferably after 4/FA since Miyazaki directed those.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
How was the video you've seen as a graphical side ? I never played armored core games before and im wondering if the player movement, pacing etc. is more similar to the souls games or even faster like dmc ?
The boss fight seemed very Souls in terms of speed and style. It looked like an industrial-looking brown room, the player started afar, locked on firing guns, then closed in and attacked melee and the speed/movement all seemed very familiar Souls style. iirc the boss had a domed head and was bigger than the player but not huge. If I had to guess, I'd say this was like an Asylum or Taurus Demon style early boss, obviously total speculation there, but it didn't seem grandious or particularly impressive as an encounter. Boss had a life bar on screen (at the top of the screen iirc) - very simple but it was more red LED-styled, futuristic as you might expect, angular edges on the lifebars rather than straight rectangle.

The second video didn't seem to include any combat, just moving towards this big wall or gate in the snowy area, following either other players or enemies ahead of the player, relatively small in the distance but they had circular 'target' effects on them, perhaps not a target but just identifying them other mechs. The snow reminded me of the Capcom mech game from a while back, just because of the snow.

Nov 10, 2021
The boss fight seemed very Souls in terms of speed and style. It looked like an industrial-looking brown room, the player started afar, locked on firing guns, then closed in and attacked melee and the speed/movement all seemed very familiar Souls style. iirc the boss had a domed head and was bigger than the player but not huge. If I had to guess, I'd say this was like an Asylum or Taurus Demon style early boss, obviously total speculation there, but it didn't seem grandious or particularly impressive as an encounter. Boss had a life bar on screen (at the top of the screen iirc) - very simple but it was more red LED-styled, futuristic as you might expect, angular edges on the lifebars rather than straight rectangle.

in what way? in the faster paced combat of bloodborne/sekiro or the slower ones in the first 2 dark souls?

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm I guess after so much time and success of the souls formula they could be doing this in a reset/spin off kind of way rather than a more continuing formula. If it is indeed an experiment like Sekiro but even more removed from souls, plus with shooting as main mechanics instead of close range but still options and such, more action and less RPG, probably also wider world than souls, I could be interested for a change. Particularly if enemies involve a great variety of species and sizes opposed to mainly other mechas (I've never played AC nor seen a lot of it so I don't know if this was already the case in any entry on the franchise).

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
in what way? in the faster paced combat of bloodborne/sekiro or the slower ones in the first 2 dark souls?
This boss fight seemed Dark Souls to me rather than Sekiro, when the player got in close the pacing was like attack/dodge/attack. I don't think the player dodge rolled but the boss retaliated and the flow of the combat was familiar in the classic Dark Souls way. The far away gunfire was not Souls like obviously and reminded me of Virtua On as the player was locked on. This was all ground-based.

I know some people are like "Yes! Sci-fi Souls" and others are like "No, I want AC to separate and not just mech-Souls" - but just to say this was short footage of ONE boss fight. There's aerial combat and distance gun-play in the game, so obviously it won't be just mech-Souls. If I had to speculate further, the screenshot of the tall tank boss I would guess was not a melee encounter just due to its size and not being a humanoid mech, it was like a rectangular tall tank with guns, a non-cartoony Metal Slug type thing.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Big Win for everyone, specially old Fromsoft fans <3

Fantasy games will always be my favourite from theirs but it can only be a good thing to branch out and try different things.
Like I said in an earlier post, it would have been a bit worrysome to have them announce yet another fantasy ARPG right after ER considering how it's supposedly their biggest one.

IIRC Omni mentioned that this was in dev at the same time as sekiro so I imagine that team is still working on a 3rd project. I cant see AC being a bigger project, but in a way that's also cool, that they are doing games on all scales. I hope we see that gameplay soon, this could end up being a 2023 game if things work out for them!

Duv

Mar 2, 2021
Reminded me of this post on 4chan that was going around last year, some things match but others not so much, dunno if its the usual shitposting or not.

jgMDmTs.png

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
My mind is open for a lot, obviously, there's a new core fanbase for from software and whatever direction they'll take may be different from the AC franchise. A spiritual successor to AC doesn't sound too bad, it's hard to make a direct continuation of the franchise, especially after Verdict day.
I'm excited, the last good mecha game I played was Daemon x Machina :) .
For those interested in AC 4/FA, try it out via Xenia emulator if you can and are curious, but otherwise, it'll probably not be what this new title will be.

Also, short-range combat like swords and shield 👀 , perhaps a little ZoE .

From soft saw this art and said, hire this man (person):

Let's go soulscore ! 💯 XD

edit: I can't find a link to the original's artist (mono) pages (Pixiv/twitter) :(

If this new game will be to Armored Core what Dark Souls was to King's Field, i'd be very happy since people will try them out more.

An apt analogy I would say :).

Last edited:

convo

Oct 25, 2017
You know i kinda wanted Xenoblade X to be what an evolved Armored Core would be like, minus the MMO gameplay of course. A bigger world to explore with your mech and some on foot stuff with your pilot. I won't quite believe those 4chan rumours if it says it'll release this year, or that it is next gen only although i'd obviously like that.

Duv

Mar 2, 2021
One thing I value most for FS games is the art style.
I never really played the old AC games but it seemed very much generic mecha scifi aesthetic to me. I wonder if theres going to be some kind of twist this time around. I'm also interested in how the player character mecha looked like, like more humanoid or some kind of big chonky robot lol.
Also, can someone who played the whole saga tell us if the synopsis Red Liquorice posted seems to be somehow linked to the other games? Or does it seem like a reboot of sorts?

convo

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I value most for FS games is the art style.
I never really played the old AC games but it seemed very much generic mecha scifi aesthetic to me. I wonder if theres going to be some kind of twist this time around. I'm also interested in how the player character mecha looked like, like more humanoid or some kind of big chonky robot lol.
Also, can someone who played the whole saga tell us if the synopsis Red Liquorice posted seems to be somehow linked to the other games? Or does it seem like a reboot of sorts?
AC games rarely manage to get off the planet earth, humanity usually blows up before they manage. The first game was entirely under ground since the surface above was devastated. Anything outside the solar system is unprecedented in the series i think. This new premise could never be possible in the current timeline of AC games, it would have to be far far into the future since it doesn't sound like anything is related, also i don't think the mech names in this new thing were mentioned.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
That would just be their take on Escaflowne then. Miyazaki is a fan.
Considering this new setting seems to have ancient stuff in it too, i can see them just adding these types of mechs that look like giant knights too. Whether AC games or King's field there's always some ancient ruined shit but it's interstellar space stuff this time.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017

in terms of graphics, did this look similar to their last gen games like Elden Ring / Sekiro, or does it look better than those and something targeting next-gen only?

Duv

Mar 2, 2021
AC games rarely manage to get off the planet earth, humanity usually blows up before they manage. The first game was entirely under ground since the surface above was devastated. Anything outside the solar system is unprecedented in the series i think. This new premise could never be possible in the current timeline of AC games, it would have to be far far into the future since it doesn't sound like anything is related, also i don't think the mech names in this new thing were mentioned.
So this new one is going to be more scifi than the rest of the series huh? Thats cool, probably the lack of 'Armored Core' in some of the suggestions for the game title may be a hint towards a reboot or soft-reboot at least.

Fredo

Oct 30, 2017
A souls mecha game sounds incredible. This should release next year if development started right after Sekiro.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
So this new one is going to be more scifi than the rest of the series huh? Thats cool, probably the lack of 'Armored Core' in some of the suggestions for the game title may be a hint towards a reboot or soft-reboot at least.
Perhaps in terms of the setting and scale, technology is buried in the ground and mega-structures in the AC games and companies are too busy killing each other and everyone to make any good use of the ancient lost technology for a period of time before they get anihilated by new companies. It lands in the same ballpark of depression as souls games in terms of hopelessness and cycles in that regard. This new thing is on a different scale, and i imagine they got the Expanse writer on board to flesh out this bigger world and its social structure perhaps.