• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Seems From is currently sending out surveys and showing participants gameplay footage with soulslike bosses.

This was posted by Red Liquorice on the From Software Development & Speculation thread

I've just finished doing a consumer survey about a new Armoured Core game with description, screenshots and two 30 second-ish videos of gameplay - the first a boss fight and the second more in-world gameplay, a snow area. The screenshots are unique ID watermarked, so probably not a good idea to post but I did screenshot the text description.

If this isn't ok to post, mods please edit this - I don't want to get anyone (including myself) in to trouble, but I was pretty amazed to be watching footage of an upcoming From Soft game randomly this morning, quite unexpected!!

1drjgf.png
27pjyh.png

1drjgf.png

27pjyh.png

More info from Red Liquorice

I did screenshot them too, but they're ID watermarked so weary about posting them. The video was streaming and watermarked, so couldn't save that even if I wanted to.

The screenshots were not huge and 8 in total.
1. More snowy area, player character in the air firing down on a street with vehicles below (tanks? cars?)
2. A smoke-filled aerial shot with an enemy in the distance.
3. A darker green/grey toned area gunfire and light/fire coming from the combat everywhere.
4. Snowy area again, ground-based combat against a similar sized enemy (pvp?)
5-8: These four looked like boss fight shots:
5. A bigger humanoid mech, white/grey. Player character has red lights on their mech, on ankles, shoulders and lower back.
6. A huge, tall armoured tank boss.
7. Difficult to make out, player on right, enemy another humanoid mech on left a yellow/gold slash(?) effect I think the player is attacking the enemy with a melee attack.
8. Gunfire battle with a circular yellow effect in front of player character - blocking the gunfire with shields or some attack? Shape and colour reminds me of the Heal miracle in Dark Souls, golden circle.

New Screenshots provided by Red Liquorice
screenshot2022-01-08a9skow.png

screenshot2022-01-08a7xkep.png

screenshot2022-01-08ataj7c.png

screenshot2022-01-08aqmkc7.png

Last edited:

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Haven't played any of these games, but going by the extended impressions in the other thread, I'll definitely take a Souls-inspired one by Miyazaki.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they dont lose the sim-ish aspect of the series and the competitive elements.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I could see 2019 repeating itself.

Sekiro launched in March and Elden Ring was announced a few months later in June.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
So something I'll be interested to see - back in 2017 the co-creator of The Expanse series mentioned he'd done work for From on an unannounced project:

www.ign.com

Dark Souls' Developers Have Worked With The Expanse Writer - IGN

"I'm, like, writing stuff for them, so I'm pretty familiar with the Dark Souls franchise."

There was the possibility after Elden Ring was announced that this was getting them in touch with GRRM because he was his former assistant and had worked on some GoT adaptations, but he does specifically mention writing, so it could be the genesis of this.
Well they have been working on this in some capacity since like 2018 so you might be right.
Earlier even going by the above. Also, like, they straight up said they were working on Armoured Core in 2017 too lol:
www.ign.com

From Software Working on 3 Games, One of Which Is Armored Core - IGN

One will be Armored Core, one will "comply with expectations" and another will be "a little bit weird".

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, this is a day one for me, no questions asked. It's been way too long since the last AC game (yes kids, this here is the original AC franchise, circa 1997), and even if ACV/Verdict Day was not my favorite, I still want more of this mech action. It's like Gran Turismo, but with robot action, what's not to like?

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Never played AC, but after becoming completely obsessed with the Soulsborne games I am absolutely in.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I am honestly very excited for current From (which feels like its at their peak) to tackle an Armored Core.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
After their output over the last decade I trust them with anything. This will be incredible.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's fucking happening!?!?

I hope it's not a straight up Soulslike but I do hope they put a lot of Souls into AC if you know what I mean. Specifically the way builds and stats work.

Bionicman

Oct 27, 2017
My main problem with AC series was the fast paced gameplay, I much preferred the feeling of piloting a hunkering slog of a mech like in BattleTech, that gave more tension to mech on mech fights and made each encounter more tactical as opposed to the fast paced gundam like AC series.

If they're going for more Souls pacing, they're going to have to tone down the speed of movement on the mechs and make it a bit closer to MechWarrior.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Am I wrong, or didn't most fans really dislike the last Armored Core that Miyazaki did? I feel like that, but it's been ages so I may be wrong.

I feel like we've been hearing about some kind of AC for ages, so we'll see what it's like when/if it comes, I guess. Mecha Souls sounds interesting to me, but those games were very little like Souls from what I recall, but like above, it's been kind of ages since I really played one

convo

Oct 25, 2017
If you are this upset about a new mecha game from them, why not also ask for some remasters or re-releases on PC for the other Armored Core games while you are at it? I think that's a better use of your time.

We had heard about the writer of the Expanse doing work for Fromsoft a long time ago and it seems to be paying off now with a seemingly new setting from the old games. Pretty darn excited what they can do now with all the know how they have gained and how it'll apply to a mecha game.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Am I wrong, or didn't most fans really dislike the last Armored Core that Miyazaki did? I feel like that, but it's been ages so I may be wrong.

I feel like we've been hearing about some kind of AC for ages, so we'll see what it's like when/if it comes, I guess. Mecha Souls sounds interesting to me, but those games were very little like Souls from what I recall, but like above, it's been kind of ages since I really played one
I think you're mistaking it for V which came after his two games and sucked. For Answer was his last one and is usually regarded as one of the best ACs.

AhiKuma

Banned
Sep 28, 2021
It's been talked about/rumored for years like since 2016 iirc so I really need this to be true that a new Armored Core is coming.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone should be excited for a new Sci-fi setting by current Fromsoftware. People always clamor for Sci-fi souls anyway, and while i doubt it'll be one to one gameplay wise, the details they will be able to pack into this will be staggering.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
plz plz plz plz this is what I've been wanting for years. Armored Core: For Answer was amazing and I need more

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the new excitment will spark the need for remasters or at the very least PC releases of the Armored Core series.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Now THAT's the From Software news I've been waiting to hear. I hope they don't ruin it by somehow making it play like Souls games, and that it's closer to AC4/For Answer than ACV, which I couldn't endure for more than a few levels.

Anyway, it's very exciting to see a new AC game in the works! I was starting to think it would never happen. I really hope it won't be canceled.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Now THAT's the From Software news I've been waiting to hear. I hope they don't ruin it by somehow making it play like Souls games, and that it's closer to AC4/For Answer than ACV, which I couldn't endure for more than a few levels.

Anyway, it's very exciting to see a new AC game in the works! I was starting to think it would never happen. I really hope it won't be canceled.
Got some not so good news for you

The boss fight seemed very Souls in terms of speed and style. It looked like an industrial-looking brown room, the player started afar, locked on firing guns, then closed in and attacked melee and the speed/movement all seemed very familiar Souls style. iirc the boss had a domed head and was bigger than the player but not huge. If I had to guess, I'd say this was like an Asylum or Taurus Demon style early boss, obviously total speculation there, but it didn't seem grandious or particularly impressive as an encounter. Boss had a life bar on screen (at the top of the screen iirc) - very simple but it was more red LED-styled, futuristic as you might expect, angular edges on the lifebars rather than straight rectangle.

The second video didn't seem to include any combat, just moving towards this big wall or gate in the snowy area, following either other players or enemies ahead of the player, relatively small in the distance but they had circular 'target' effects on them, perhaps not a target but just identifying them other mechs. The snow reminded me of the Capcom mech game from a while back, just because of the snow.

My main problem with AC series was the fast paced gameplay, I much preferred the feeling of piloting a hunkering slog of a mech like in BattleTech, that gave more tension to mech on mech fights and made each encounter more tactical as opposed to the fast paced gundam like AC series.

If they're going for more Souls pacing, they're going to have to tone down the speed of movement on the mechs and make it a bit closer to MechWarrior.
please god no