• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Never played these before, but after playing Left Alive I've been considering it. Not sure where I would jump in to the series at, though. Maybe this new one if it's true? And if it isn't like a souls game.

I am gonna get Metal Wolf Chaos XD eventually too. I want to finally indulge in my interest in mechs.

Now, maybe this is a good sign for another Echo Night and Kuon, please.....

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Thought this was known a couple of years back.

Unless I went back in time....hmmm could be that.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
Thought this was known a couple of years back.

Unless I went back in time....hmmm could be that.
Omni mentioned they were still working on AC, like what 2-3 years ago? Miyazaki also said something about AC in 2017. It was quite a while back.
Fair enough, I might have jumped the gun there. Though judging by their output over the last decade I ain't exactly gonna hold my breath that they'll deviate too much from the tried and true formula.
You should try Deracine

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
FromSoft always nailed the far future melancholy dystopia with Armored Core. I miss it more from an aesthetic point than as a game, but I'd love to see it return.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
Listen I like Dark Souls and am happy that From has become popular now but...
...keep you souls shit out of my Armored Core.

Armored Core has been around long long before Souls was a thing and was already excellent. I dont want them messing up a good thing just to cater to the new crowd. Companies should be able to diversify there games to feel differnet and not homogenize them to cater to souls fanatics.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for FROM reaching outside of their current comfort zone and going back to AC with all of the experience they've had with the Souls games over the last decade. It could make for a really unique experience.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
I wish Souls people would stop trying to highjack everything From makes. Not everything needs to be a souls exspansion pack.

Sekiro aleady was highjacked to a point where the Tenchu dna was pretty much just set dressing.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
msTHrnh.png

Can...Can they make another one of these please? Or like...remaster these games?

I'd very much enjoy that!

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I'm guessing it's gonna be like Sekiro where there is some Souls influence but it's mostly its own thing in terms of gameplay mechanics.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Finally, we are getting the Matthias game we deserve

Funeral Mask: Armored Core

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how disappointing ACV was it's hard to even count that one, so I've been waiting a very long time. Still, I'll believe it when I see it.

I do want to believe that From has not forgotten its history with Armored Core, though. Call me crazy but I definitely got the feeling of AC from Bloodborne sometimes, just the way you glide around smoothly with short dashes was reminiscent of it.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Nine Ball must, must, must, must be the ultimate fight in this game. Do whatever else you want with this title, but that is a must if they dare call it an Armored Core. That's all I have to say.

Mar 19, 2021
Pretty much most From games pre-Souls did not have great critical reception outside a few exceptions. I'm not sure if cult classics is the right term exactly. They were the bread and butter for From before Souls, and basically what helped keep the lights on as you can see by how many was made in a short time. So they definitely have/had a fanbase.

Cool, that makes sense. Looking forward to it either way, I'm sure they'll cook up something great!

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Melange? Really? Lol, they should pick another name.

That said I am absolutely in! Day one whenever this releases!

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much most From games pre-Souls did not have great critical reception outside a few exceptions. I'm not sure if cult classics is the right term exactly. They were the bread and butter for From before Souls, and basically what helped keep the lights on as you can see by how many was made in a short time. So they definitely have/had a fanbase.
They were kind of in a weird spot, yeah. Not huge games but not cult classics either. They were kind of in a similar spot as fighting games in the early '00s. I remember in Tips and Tricks magazine that they had a two-page section every issue for Armored Core builds that people had sent in and it was featured either right before or after where they'd talk about Duc Do's ranking in MvC2 at Golfland locations.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Since you're reminded of these comments, you'll have no problem showing where they were said... unless you just made that up.
I already did to the other poster, my dude if anything i pay too much attention to what other people say, don't expect me to pull up twitter jokes about sekiro as if i bookmark bad takes, they'll stay a memory
Dark souls looking like generic fantasy is a pretty common thought for many people who didn't care for fantasy games, i guess i can call Woolie Madden as someone who thought this was the case. Sekiro seeming like just a action game in old timey japan, comes from people who didn't think it looked imaginative enough, this is also from some people who don't enjoy it as much as their other games. Bloodborne reactions pre-launch didn't really know it was some cosmic horror stuff, gaming podcasts like giant bomb got around to what the early hours of the game are gothic horror and werewolfs. I was around the community for each launch, i don't wanna go to neogaf for receipts honestly so whatever. Want more receipts? You already said you don't care so there's no need to justify your opinion.

Apr 3, 2020
I wish Souls people would stop trying to highjack everything From makes. Not everything needs to be a souls exspansion pack.

Sekiro aleady was highjacked to a point where the Tenchu dna was pretty much just set dressing.

It is not like Sekiro was at one point was a Tenchu game, as far as I know, it was an idea in the initial pre production phase.

msTHrnh.png

Can...Can they make another one of these please? Or like...remaster these games?

I'd very much enjoy that!

man, I remember blown away when the vocal themes of the mecha plays while you playing

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll peek at it. But I honestly have been out of ac for 10+ years.
Just like the series itself has not existed if you don't count Metal Wolf Chaos having some remixed music tracks from AC. It really might be just the sountrack that has lived in people's heads for the last ten years.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just to say, I hadn't got a message from a mod about PM-ing them the screenshots as proof, so I don't know if any mod wants me to do that or not but happy to do so.

Also, when I looked through the screengrabs properly there were 16 screenshots, not 8 - I missed 2 pages of 4 images, the other 2 to me look either like concept art or just environmentals, not in game engine like the other 8. Mostly just industrial looking buildings/landscapes/corridors, one dome-shaped (ish) building in a crater with a bridge across to it - looks like it once was covered in white panels like an observatory but has decayed over time or war so looks worse for wear. Another dark image with grey cloudy/smokey sky with what looks like a giant structure or ship in the sky over a ruined cityscape below and the most different was a very Soulsy looking interior room with a player mech - the room has neon green lightning, possibly water or ooze dripping down, the room looks wrecked (melted?) with windows at the far end on an upper level and the composition and size of this room reminds me of Amelia's boss room in BB, the green of the water/lighting/ooze and the blue/grey of the room are very much like the colours of the MGS, like Ludwig's cutscene. I'm just using that as a colour reference and nothing more.

Edit - and finally just to say sorry to anyone who PM'd me or asked me to PM them about showing them the images. I don't feel comfortable sending them to anyone but a mod and was at a bit of a loss as to what to say without seeming rude, so I.... ignored your messages which is even more rude?! lol, I don't know all I can say is sorry, I'm not good with netiquette, so tend to just avoid it if I can.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Just to say, I hadn't got a message from a mod about PM-ing them the screenshots as proof, so I don't know if any mod wants me to do that or not but happy to do so.

Also, when I looked through the screengrabs properly there were 16 screenshots, not 8 - I missed 2 pages of 4 images, the other 2 to me look either like concept art or just environmentals, not in game engine like the other 8. Mostly just industrial looking buildings/landscapes/corridors, one dome-shaped (ish) building in a crater with a bridge across to it - looks like it once was covered in white panels like an observatory but has decayed over time or war so looks worse for wear. Another dark image with grey cloudy/smokey sky with what looks like a giant structure or ship in the sky over a ruined cityscape below and the most different was a very Soulsy looking interior room with a player mech - the room has neon green lightning, possibly water or ooze dripping down, the room looks wrecked (melted?) with windows at the far end on an upper level and the composition and size of this room reminds me of Amelia's boss room in BB, the green of the water/lighting/ooze and the blue/grey of the room are very much like the colours of the MGS, like Ludwig's cutscene. I'm just using that as a colour reference and nothing more.

Edit - and finally just to say sorry to anyone who PM'd me or asked me to PM them about showing them the images. I don't feel comfortable sending them to anyone but a mod and was at a bit of a loss as to what to say without seeming rude, so I.... ignored your messages which is even more rude?! lol, I don't know all I can say is sorry, I'm not good with netiquette, so tend to just avoid it if I can.
If you want you can edit the watermarks from the screenthots and that way you can show them.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
If you want you can edit the watermarks from the screenthots and that way you can show them.
They cover the entire image, it's not just a little logo in the corner or anything. Like a string of numbers repeatedly across all the images. I obviously don't know if they are "unique IDs" but the surveys says they were in the T&C's at the start of the survey, so I assume it's true.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
I was ready to write "If I would get a nickel every time someone says they're working on a new one..." but it looks like it's actually happening this time. Or rather: They're finally ready to show it. I'm super excited! It's about damn time we're getting a new Armored Core!

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
AAA Mechas are ready to enter the mainstream. It's time to do something with these IPs that's not on the tactical, simulation or musou side of things. I'll be there if they bring the FS quality!

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Never played any mech games. I've been wanting a From sci-fi game for a while though so would definitely get it.

Fullmetallad

Jun 1, 2019
As much as I never get enough of their Souls games, I wish they don't "soulifed" the game, just make something unique like Sekiro...or far than that
I think it's safe to say it'll be further away from souls than Sekiro was, depite having the similarities that Red Liquorice mentioned.
There's only so much they can do to add a souls touch to a mecha game like that, without it losing it's previos own charm, i think.
I love their ARPGs and i haven't played a single AC or mecha game, but i agree that they should make this game as unique and separate from souls as possible, especially when we're already getting Elden Ring for the souls itch.

Fullmetallad

Jun 1, 2019
So by that article I'm guessing the games were:

* Armored Core (unannounced)
* Weird Game: Deraciné?
* Comply with expectations: Sekiro?

It would be a couple of years before Elden Ring was announced
''Comply with fans expectation in straight foward manner'' is Elden Ring
Sekiro was the ''reboot'' he mentions in other interviews, it was meant to be a reboot of the Tenchu series earlier in development.
The weird game is Deraciné, yeah. Omnipotent (Fromsoftware insider on this forum) confirmed it when it was announced in 2018: link

theLusitanian

Nov 3, 2017
I really hope that the Mecha are varied on this. I enjoy the 4 leg types of past games, but the game still played largely the same, as they were mostly stat modifiers. I know people are heaping praise on 4 Answer and rightly so, but I actually enjoyed 5 more because I feel like they tried to make the ACs heavier and more cumbersome to pilot.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
I really hope that the Mecha are varied on this. I enjoy the 4 leg types of past games, but the game still played largely the same, as they were mostly stat modifiers. I know people are heaping praise on 4 Answer and rightly so, but I actually enjoyed 5 more because I feel like they tried to make the ACs heavier and more cumbersome to pilot.
Honestly, id love it if this game is a sort of mash-up between Verdict Day and AC3/SL/N/LR(So many PS2 games lol). Felt like the general speed and thrusters in the PS2 Era games were perfect, so if they add some of the newer movement options like the wall climb/wall jump to allow for neat traversal options, it would be perfect for me.

If this game takes cues from the souls games, let it take cues from the melee combat since that's always been the weakest part of these games(understandably so since it was never trying to be a melee action oriented game). Giving me the option to zip around enemies 1 by 1 with my ranged arsenal to take out the fodder and flying in to clear tougher enemies out with a freakin energy axe in a similar fashion to, say Bloodborne, would be utter perfection.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil

What "souls people"? lol what nonsense, maybe consider that it's not a matter these design philosophies being "Souls elements" but what the current Fromsoftware direction under Miyazaki is as a whole. Sekiro already is very much it's own thing, it was never actually promised to be a successor to Tenchu, much less highjacked out of being one.

definedMF

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto Canada
No one is mentioning how this means we will potentially be getting a full OST from the FROM Software in house music legend:

KOTA HOSIHNO the man behind Forever Kingdom, Evergrace and many AC sound tracks!

May 31, 2019
I love my Souls games, but imagine getting a decade of high class games that can keep you occupied forever, including an upcoming flagship game that is a "best-of" of all their ideas in the third-person action genre (Elden Ring), and complaining that From Software won't make another Soulslike.

I want the new Armored Core to be dirty, mechanical, full of in-depth customization systems that scares Souls fans away. Some of you in this thread are embarrassing.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

Send me a PM and we'll talk

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
What "souls people"? lol what nonsense, maybe consider that it's not a matter these design philosophies being "Souls elements" but what the current Fromsoftware direction under Miyazaki is as a whole. Sekiro already is very much it's own thing, it was never actually promised to be a successor to Tenchu, much less highjacked out of being one.
It was never promised to be a Tenchu successor, but reportedly started development as a new Tenchu game.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
i memed about the next armored core being "mech souls" and look what my hubris hath wrought

ugh
Thank you for your service.

But I'd still be 100% cool with it not really being soulsy though. As long as it's still difficult and punishing like the old games I'm cool with whatever they do

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Thank you for your service.

But I'd still be 100% cool with it not really being soulsy though. As long as it's still difficult and punishing like the old games I'm cool with whatever they do
More or less where I'm at with it honestly. If it's a modernized take on the PS2 Armored Core games, I'm super in. If it's more of a Armored Core/Souls hybrid with shared ideas from both styles to create something new, I'm still freaking in for that. They'd have to turn this into like an FPS for me to not care.