From Tech Team with Love: What's Going On Behind the Scenes Vol. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratrosaw

Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Hi, #tech team here.

A quick update. We have made some changes on our end and members can now post HTTPS imgur.com images as usual. All the broken links are also recovered now.

We are still talking with imgur.com and trying to reach a solution on their end. Will update when we have more to share :)

Sincerely,
#tech

Note: the patch is only effective if you are using the following browers:

Chrome 49 and newer
Chrome for Android 61 and newer
Safari Technology Preview on macOS
Firefox 55 and newer
Opera 47 and newer
Android Browser on Android 5 and newer

Edge 15 and newer, Safari on macOS 10.1 and newer (excluding TP versions) and Safari on iOS 10.2 and newer only have partial support to the patch method we are using. As a result you may or may not be able to see the HTTPS imgur.com images in thread if you are using those browers.

Internet Explorer (all series, including 11) and Opera Mini (all series) are not supported.

Of course. On Jan 26, 2017 W3C released the referrer policy candidate recommendation, which allows websites to specify referrer policies to improve privacy and security. You can read the document here. So far many browsers have implemented support for this candidate recommendation, including but not limited to Chrome (partial support since version 49; full support since version 61), Firefox (full support since version 55), Opera (full support since version 47) and Safari (Technology Preview version only). Chrome for Android (version 61) and Android Browser (Android 5.x - 6.x) supports it too. Part of our patch involves usage of this header and as a result if the browser you are using does not support it our patch may or may not work on your system.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
I still see [ IMG ] instead of the actual images (checked with Chrome [62.0.3202.75] and Safari [iOS 11]). Cleared the cache as well.

Oct 25, 2017
I still see [ IMG ] instead of the actual images (checked with Chrome [62.0.3202.75] and Safari [iOS 11]). Cleared the cache as well.
In the OP it says that HTTPS Imgur links should work now, but regular HTTP ones still won't display. They are still attempting to work out a solution with Imgur.

OP
OP
R

ratrosaw

Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Sorry, a newly installed update broke the fix we applied. You may want to check the pages again, images should be working now :)

OP
OP
R

ratrosaw

Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Can you please explain further?
Of course. On Jan 26, 2017 W3C released the referrer policy candidate recommendation, which allows websites to specify referrer policies to improve privacy and security. You can read the document here. So far many browsers have implemented support for this candidate recommendation, including but not limited to Chrome (partial support since version 49; full support since version 61), Firefox (full support since version 55), Opera (full support since version 47) and Safari (Technology Preview version only). Chrome for Android (version 61) and Android Browser (Android 5.x - 6.x) supports it too. Part of our patch involves usage of this header and as a result if the browser you are using does not support it our patch may or may not work on your system.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if this is the right place but I think you should really look into the spacing and try to improve it for mobile there's still a lot of "wasted" space which makes it kinda weird to read and hard to get an overview of what's going on.
The navigation buttons are also wayyyy too small, which becomes even more apparent due to the spacing.

I really like the overall design and features, but readability could need some improvements - at least on mobile.

Otherwise keep up the great work it's really impressive what the team has done in so little time! ☺

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I'm not sure if this is the right place but I think you should really look into the spacing and try to improve it for mobile there's still a lot of "wasted" space which makes it kinda weird to read and hard to get an overview of what's going on.
The navigation buttons are also wayyyy too small, which becomes even more apparent due to the spacing.

I really like the overall design and features, but readability could need some improvements - at least on mobile.

Otherwise keep up the great work it's really impressive what the team has done in so little time! ☺
I'm liking the site a lot too! But I agree, hopefully some improvements come to the mobile side!

Hopefully this is the best place to post this, but are there any plans for people to select board view/layout options? I don't know how much of the design is set in stone, but for me, the board is difficult to follow because the text just blends into the background. I'm not sure if its just the font, or that the text should be bolder, but it's tough to see. Maybe i'm getting old or I was too used to the old site, but it would be awesome if you guys a.) made the font a little larger, b.)made the font a little bolder, c.) find a way to separate quoted text a little more, and d) maybe allowed the users to change the background color.

I've found that my excitement to follow threads just sort of falters because it's all so tough to read.

I could just be getting old, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Images that are showing up properly both on Firefox 56 and Chrome 61 are still broken for me using Safari Technology Preview 42.

EDIT: also broken in the just released preview 43.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ratrosaw

Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Is there some sort of way to just rewrite https imgur links to http during post/preview?
We could do that, but it kind of diminishes our commitment to building a secure site. Ideally all the contents of resetera.com should be served via HTTPS and transferring hybrid contents may trigger a security alarm on some browsers. Fortunately referrer-policy is now officially a candidate for W3C standard and we do hope Apple implements support for them soon so all the users can view HTTPS images without a problem.

Oct 28, 2017
Any updates on fixing embed tweets on mobile? (specifically Samsung browser)

Really hard to read Etcetera as you have no idea what's being talked about unless the content or image is posted.

Oct 25, 2017
We could do that, but it kind of diminishes our commitment to building a secure site. Ideally all the contents of resetera.com should be served via HTTPS and transferring hybrid contents may trigger a security alarm on some browsers. Fortunately referrer-policy is now officially a candidate for W3C standard and we do hope Apple implements support for them soon so all the users can view HTTPS images without a problem.
I am using Pale Moon and was having the issue of https imgur images not loading. Apparently, Pale Moon supports the feature already but I was still having the issue. I did some searching and it looks like uMatrix can fix the issue by using a feature to spoof third party referrers. (Open uMatrix, click the tiny gear icon and put a check by Privacy - "Spoof HTTP referrer string of third-party requests.") Once I enabled the spoofing the images from https imgur links started embedding and showing up just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.