• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

From the Front End Team: Looking for Some More Help

Sirpopopop

_ _ _ w _ _ _
Oct 23, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I'm glad to see that you all are really enjoying the new environment. We spent a lot of time on the front end side trying to get this site ready for you in a hurry, and we're grateful that a lot of people are really enjoying the way this looks. We also understand that there are concerns with the present appearance and we're working very hard to fix them on our end.

Now I made this post because we're looking to add two people to help us through our final push to get important fixes in for users, plus get our dark theme completed.

Requirements:
-HTML/CSS skills.
-Javascript skills.

Preferred:
-Xenforo platform experience.
-Mobile friendly design experience.

Please send me a private message if you're interested along with some information about your experience. Nothing too fancy, even just a link to your Linked In would work. I'll contact the folks I'm interested in, and we'll go from there.

Thanks!

Note: Leaving thread open to replies for any questions you might have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a web developer and webdesigner, I think the mobile version needs some work like loading new posts without having to reload the whole page, that is specially important to reduce mobile data usage.
I'm not sure if that's on your pipeline or is something you intend to implement, just wanted to offer my help since I can implement it if if you guys need help, should take me only a few hours.
I also have some ideas for other improvements, feel free to pm me if you want to discuss it.

Cant help much in the skills department, but, having mostly salvaged a once bright forum myself from shoddy leadership and getting resurrected (Albeit on a much smaller scale) i have some ideas as to the difficults of these. Managing a new home is difficult, and that was already the case with a small forum like the one i had to go through with. With a forum the size of ERA with its 1000s of members, the challenge rises exponentially.

So i just chip in and congratulate you on the efforts so far. And, even though its not required, if you ever need more managing or moderating usage (Having been one on two sites already, one as an editor aswell) i happily chime in. This place seems A LOT more reasonable than the stuff i had to go through so i would fit right in.

NOTE: This isnt a begging post. Just saying to the whole team, if you ever need an extra pair of hands in that department, feel free to contact.

PS: I do know a guy with coding skills who does this for a living. Not exactly an ERA user or a GAFer, but if one wants, i could connect the both of you together?

Oct 27, 2017
I work in web dev (ux/ui, html/css) - was primarily in design but just started diving into Javascript as well - and would be happy to help if I'm able. I'm trying to PM you with my LI profile but I can't seem to find the link to do so. =\

Oct 27, 2017
I can't figure out how to send PMs but I'd definitely be interested in helping with the frontend too

E: I'd like to add that I've been doing frontend development for a long time - html, css, javascript, angular, etc etc. Even if you have enough people helping, if any of you ever have a question about any of it I'm happy to answer. I love this stuff!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I think it might be disabled for recently approved members..? Is there a minimum post count before being able to send PM's?

Did you click the information tab? The option to start a conversation with someone is usually located there. Also, the option to start a conversation is available in a popup box that appears when selecting a person’s name in a thread. Beyond that, the mail icon near the top right can be used to take you to your conversations and also to start new ones.

Oct 27, 2017
Did you click the information tab? The option to start a conversation with someone is usually located there. Also, the option to start a conversation is available in a popup box that appears when selecting a person’s name in a thread. Beyond that, the mail icon near the top right can be used to take you to your conversations and also to start new ones.
Yeah, I looked all over - no dice. :(

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
There is a bug with conversations for junior members at the moment. Tech team has a lot on its plate but they're looking into it.

Oct 27, 2017
Hello, I'm new here and was just approved. I used to work as a Front-End developer a few years ago, mostly on the CSS side of things. Should you still require assistance feel free to reach me. I am experienced in both desktop and mobile-sized websites so I should be able to provide help for either one.

Baz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Helens
I'm a web developer and webdesigner, I think the mobile version needs some work like loading new posts without having to reload the whole page, that is specially important to reduce mobile data usage.
I'm not sure if that's on your pipeline or is something you intend to implement, just wanted to offer my help since I can implement it if if you guys need help, should take me only a few hours.
I also have some ideas for other improvements, feel free to pm me if you want to discuss it.
This would be good, I browse on mobile 100% of the time at the moment.

Blam

Banned
Oct 23, 2017
This would be good, I browse on mobile 100% of the time at the moment.
There should be a way using Stylus at least on Firefox for Android to reduce data usage, with CSS changes, but I'm not sure how far that can be pushed. I know I have my theme working on there and desktop so far, but no clue how I'd be able to reduce usage through CSS alone.

Probably best to add a refresh button into the forum layout to negate the need to refresh completely.

edit: I as well had started on a new design to the site to show what I'm capable of. It's dark themed as well, and currently works on mobile.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-unofficial-redesign-wip.1586/

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
On the purely cosmetic side, I've started building a Stylish theme just to show what I'm capable of and the kind of interface work I like to do. You can check it out here: https://userstyles.org/styles/150255/resetera-mit-edits

I still have a LOT to do on it, but so far I enjoy using it much more. When it gets more complete I'll start PM'ing and whatnot, unless anyone's already interested.

Oct 25, 2017
I have css/javacript skills for sure, but not so much with mobile design or xenforo yet. I'm going to take some courses in web application programming so I might check back in a couple of months if help is needed. :p

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I have front end/back end experience and would like to volunteer my time, if additional help is still needed.

Send me a message, and I'll throw my linked in details.

Oct 27, 2017
Been modifying my custom.css firefox file and managed to work up the following. It's a lot easier on the eyes especially by removing the light thread title color . Changed the font to helvetica neue. Site should be using system fonts for faster page loads too. Hopefully this gives some good ideas to the person who will take over making the changes.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I can't pitch in personally, no web dev experience I'm afraid.. But I did make a mock up of my preference for light theme if it'd be of any use - reposting here.

Main changes off the top of my head:
  • Top of page is now a purple bar matching theme colour. Gives the top of the page a clear header while also giving the site logo more pop.
  • Both this and the nav bar immediately below have been extended to edges of the screen.
  • Cut down on the number of menu / nav bars between header and thread list.
  • Nav buttons added for each forum category to allow single click navigation for improved UX. Current page button highlighted, other 3 dimmed.
  • Contrast tweaked on text / links on the threads. Improved readability, easier on the eyes.
  • Logo contrast tweaked to pop on screen and stand out from people background.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't pitch in personally, no web dev experience I'm afraid.. But I did make a mock up of my preference for light theme if it'd be of any use - reposting here.

Main changes off the top of my head:
  • Top of page is now a purple bar matching theme colour. Gives the top of the page a clear header while also giving the site logo more pop.
  • Both this and the nav bar immediately below have been extended to edges of the screen.
  • Cut down on the number of menu / nav bars between header and thread list.
  • Nav buttons added for each forum category to allow single click navigation for improved UX. Current page button highlighted, other 3 dimmed.
  • Contrast tweaked on text / links on the threads. Improved readability, easier on the eyes.
  • Logo contrast tweaked to pop on screen and stand out from people background.
Damn, that looks good. Loving the header.

Agreed with the navigation buttons, it's a bit cumbersome to go between sections right now.

Oct 27, 2017
All I have to add is best of luck. Amazing, lovely forum with hard working, passionate devs and that Dark Theme can't come soon enough. Looking forward to it.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to help, I have responsive design experience, HTML/CSS experience including Bootstrap/Flexbox . But very little Javascript experience yet outside some simple features like parallax scrolling, item/location referencing etc. (Still in school) So I don't think I can throw my hat in the ring. But good luck to you guys! I know there's a ton of skilled devs here who will jump at the chance.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a web designer nor a web dev, sorry for going a bit off topic here.

I just wanted to suggest that you could separate pinned/stickied threads from other topics, as it can get a bit cluttered and difficult to visually distinguish them when there are several stickied threads in the first page.

I made a quick mockup here:

Thank you for the hard work you're putting in this forum!

Oct 27, 2017
I mean no offense for the previous suggestion but I think something like this would be a lot more appealing and would make it more pleasant to read the forum in regards to sticky topics:

Edit: obviously I only applied it to the first topic but it would apply to all the sticky topics. This was just a quick CSS hack using the inspector.

Nif

Oct 25, 2017
Web dev with 6+ years professional experience here. Mostly on the back end (PHP and javascript mostly), but I'd be willing to lend a hand.

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Get hold of a framework, like Xenbase from PixelExit.com or UI.X from Themehouse.com.

Will help you do most of the things you look for with on/off settings in the admin panel.

Rest can be helped out with.

Oct 25, 2017
Been modifying my custom.css firefox file and managed to work up the following. It's a lot easier on the eyes especially by removing the light thread title color . Changed the font to helvetica neue. Site should be using system fonts for faster page loads too. Hopefully this gives some good ideas to the person who will take over making the changes.
This can't be right, we're not proper Web 2.0 unless we're using Proxima Nova and Gotham. :)

Oct 27, 2017
My concentration for Computer Information Systems is Web Development but I don't think I'm up to par for what y'all are looking for at the moment. It's great to see what's need though. Maybe I'll be of some help in the future!

Oct 25, 2017
Sirpopopop Would you be able to do the development on github, bitbucket or some similar place? I'd love to be able to just push a number of pull request whenever something is nagging me. ;)

OP
OP
Sirpopopop

Sirpopopop

_ _ _ w _ _ _
Oct 23, 2017
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the offers of help. It was truly incredible to see how many people want to make this site great.

We've got the people we need for now.

I'm still going to keep this thread open if anyone has anything new to offer.

Thanks!

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
I just discovered this section of the forum yesterday evening so I'm a bit late but I'm a front-end developer with CSS/HTML/JS knowledge if you guys need more people at some point.