From Us To You: An Update On Our Team And The Future

Cerium

General Manager
Administrator
Oct 23, 2017
Hello community! All of our teams have put their heads together and come up with a roadmap for our future that we would like to share with you now.

Mod Team Restructuring:

This begins with a promotion. Please welcome your new Administrator, Rowlf. He and Emily, individuals of the highest integrity and patience, will now be your Mod Team Captains. We feel that these two embody exactly the type of moderation we would like to bring to ResetEra, and we're confident that their leadership and example will inspire the rest of the team and help us build a sustainable culture.

We would like to stress that none of our moderators have ever been, nor will they ever be, a law unto themselves.

If you have any questions or concerns about our moderation, we encourage you to contact one or both of our Mod Team Captains (note: Emily is on personal leave at the moment). Going forward we would like the topic of moderation to be an ongoing conversation with the community. Emily and Rowlf will be there to listen.

We are also working on a ban appeals system and will have more to share soon.

Verification Program:

When we launched we mentioned that we are planning to offer a verification program by which industry members can choose to have their identities confirmed for the public. Our wonderful tech team is still working on the implementation of this feature, but in preparation for the rollout we are now ready to begin taking applications. For the time being we would like to focus on members of the press, developers, and community reps.

You can learn more about the verification process and how to apply here-
https://www.resetera.com/threads/verification-faq.2971/

Please note that verified status will not entitle you to preferential treatment from the staff and you will still be expected to adhere to the same forum rules as any other member.

Dark Theme:

Our frontend team has recruited additional help and is now hard at work on future updates. We can now confirm that ResetEra v1.2 will contain the much anticipated dark theme. However, given the importance of this feature, we want to take our time and make sure that we do it right. Our current estimated timeframe for delivery is 1 to 2 weeks.

Update: 100 posts per page has now been implemented and is available under your account preferences!

Community Newsletter:

We know that ResetEra owes its very existence to its various community hangouts, and we intend to never take you guys for granted. We are constantly looking for ways that we can cultivate the relationships forged during the Great Migration and help you thrive. Towards that end we are naming SweetNicole as our Community Manager and first point of contact between the staff and the community. You can reach her with questions or suggestions at [email protected].

One of the features we are currently looking at will be Community Newsletters: a pinned monthly digest that will include select hangouts from Video Games and EtcetEra, upcoming community events, new game releases and links to their OTs, and information on site updates.

Funding:

We've been fielding a lot of questions about this and we would like to stress that during the development of ResetEra we never made any plans for monetization as that would have only slowed us down when there was no time to lose. Even now the team is in agreement that we would like to deliver some essential improvements for the community without distractions.

Many of you have been eager to donate or contribute towards the site, and while we are deeply moved by your offers, we feel that this is the wrong model to pursue as it can create conflicts of interest as regards moderation.

For the time being ResetEra, LLC is committed to being 100% self-funded through the end of 2017. During this time we will examine all of our options for the long term funding of ResetEra, and will announce our plans at a later date.

MCN

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
FWIW, if I were to donate I would not expect any kind of preferential treatment or reward. Another forum I visit has a similar thing every so often.

Having this community is its own reward.

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Hello all! I'm honored to be stepping into the shoes of Community Manager. We've got some awesome things in the works that I think are going to make the communities very happy.

Sir Guts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The transparency here makes me love the place even more and makes everybody sure that in this place we’re one. Thank you and good luck

Oct 25, 2017
GA, USA
Impressive work so far, Thank you for being open about future plans and communicating promptly.

One of the features we are currently looking at will be Community Newsletters: a pinned monthly digest that will include select hangouts from Video Games and EtcetEra, upcoming community events, new game releases and links to their OTs, and information on site updates.
Eagerly looking forward to this feature.

Oct 25, 2017
I love this place so much. Thanks for all the hard work you've all put in. It's truly special what you've been able to accomplish.

Woohoo! Thanks for the update and keep up the great work. Eagerly anticipating that dark theme.

I’m sure it’s come up, but just in case it hasn’t — I’d expect many people would still be interested in a donation model if it was anonymous. That might be doable if handled carefully, with any staff necessary to process donations kept independent from the mod team.

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing this thread on Twitter I thought From Us To You was an indie game I hadn't heard of for a second ha. Thanks for the updates guys sounds like there is great stuff coming.

Oct 25, 2017
The focus on communities sounds great. Many of us have formed pretty close friendships over the years through them and I'm always open to seeing new faces in the ones I'm a part of. Appreciate the update.

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for all the hard work y’all, and all of the transparent communication.
The transparency is nice to see, I really like that you all are letting the community know what's going on and doing so on a frequent basis. I like the newsletter idea too, sort of keep everyone in the know.

Oct 25, 2017
You all are doing fantastic work, and this place is definitely in great and capable hands. Looking forward to what the future brings, and again, thanks for all the hard work.

Oct 27, 2017
Great updates, and thank you for being so transparent! Seriously, really appreciate all the work that you all have done in keeping this community together and architecting this forum.

Namiks

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 28, 2017
In terms of press, what exactly is required to reach that verification?

I am a journalist and have worked with numerous publications and developers, but where is the line when it comes to what is press and what, well, kind of isn't?

If you have any questions, feel free to quote this post or @ me. I will do my best to answer them.
As far as the whole funding things goes when the time comes, will the staff be open to community input and suggestions in an appropriate thread? I would love to throw some ideas in the ring if those involved have a listening ear.

As far as everything else goes, keep up the great work, all of you. You've done a great job so far, kudos!

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I have to say I love seeing warnings and ban messages on posts. I think everyone being able to see what posts are borderline and what posts catch a ban will do wonders for the discourse here.

OS_

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
We’re not owed this information, so feel free to ignore these questions, but I’m curious about who is paying out of their own pocket for the running of ResetEra and how much it costs?

Also, what kind of load can the server handle, or is it on a cloud based solution that can scale with traffic? If it scales, what are the financial upper limits of paying for that scaling? How close to capacity is ResetEra currently? Is ResetEra’s current rate of growth sustainable for the resources available (financial and technical)?

Genuinely curious to know answers to these questions given the speed ResetEra was setup, its growth, and how stable it has been. Cheers.

Oct 25, 2017
The openness of communication and willingness to share updates by all at Team ResetEra has been very insightful, and the sense of inclusiveness is very much appreciated. Thank you to all for this, and for all of the hard work that has gone into the site thus far. That we have such a thriving community already is a credit to each of you - I hope you get to enjoy it, too.

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
As far as the whole funding things goes when the time comes, will the staff be open to community input and suggestions in an appropriate thread? I would love to throw some ideas in the ring if those involved have a listening ear.

As far as everything else goes, keep up the great work, all of you. You've done a great job so far, kudos!
There will be some opportunity for feedback on community input and suggestions in the near future. If you have specific ideas, please send me an email, and I'm happy to read it over. We are very much looking for community input and suggestions.

When you say developers can apply for verification, where is the line drawn with respect to indie developers? Clearly there's a huge gap between noodling around in Unity for five minutes and having published a game.
We will be verifying on a case by case basis. I can assure you that we're aware of the difference between the two.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all the updates, sounds great and appreciate the openness and communication you guys do!.. keep up the good work :D

SweetNicole

Community Manager
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
We’re not owed this information, so feel free to ignore these questions, but I’m curious about who is paying out of their own pocket for the running of ResetEra and how much it costs?

Also, what kind of load can the server handle, or is it on a cloud based solution that can scale with traffic? If it scales, what are the financial upper limits of paying for that scaling? How close to capacity is ResetEra currently? Is ResetEra’s current rate of growth sustainable for the resources available (financial and technical)?

Genuinely curious to know answers to these questions given the speed ResetEra was setup, its growth, and how stable it has been. Cheers.
I can't go into the exact details of how much it costs, but suffice to say it's not cheap.

Questions on the server load I can't answer specifically as I'm not involved with that specific area, but rest assure we have a great tech team that is already looking into those questions and planning for long-term future. I <3 our tech team. They're awesome.