• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
In Dark Souls Hollows represent players who gave up, who weren't good enough, and who lost. That concept is part of Dark Souls' design. You don't have to respect that vision or design. You don't have to play the game the way they intended. But a dev doesn't have to accommodate a way of playing they don't intend either.

We are allowed to criticize them for having that concept. Also no one is forcing FROM to do anything, they can and will do whatever they want obviously. But we are allowed to criticize them for a lack of options that we think should be in the game.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
To me Dark Souls is a game about not giving up hope in a seemingly hopeless world. Lordran is an apocalyptic, depressing, frightening place and comfort in it is sparse. The difficulty contributes to that. The singular difficulty makes it a thoroughly communal experience. Everyone is playing in that same dangerous world. Ghosts and its seamless multiplayer functions reinforce this. We're all in this together, and together we can overcome. If Dark Souls had an easy mode where people play in an easier world, I honestly think it would dilute that message a bit.

Pause? That's another thing. That game should have a god damn pause button in offline mode lol.

You are right. The argument could be made for Dark Souls as you can make it easier through summoning, and adding a difficulty dilutes that whole communal experience somewhat. I don't think it's an argument that can be made for Sekiro, however.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
We have two hypothetical players. Player 1 finds Souls games difficult, but can progress. Player 2 can't progress at all and doesn't come close. In Easy mode, player 2 finds the game difficult but can progress. Player 1 finds it a cakewalk.

Textbook example of "everyone asking others to see things from their point of view and not giving a shit about others' point of view". What about Player 3 who would switch to Easy mode if given the option but prefers not to have that option?

In this thread, Player 1 types are basically concern trolling Player 2s by saying Easy Mode makes the game too easy for Player 2, when it doesn't. It makes progress possible.

Nobody in this thread said "Easy makes the game too easy for you, Player 2". That's a strawman you made on the spot. And it would be nice if we didn't use "trolling", let alone "concern trolling", to describe "people giving their opinions on what they want".

You're mad more people want to enjoy From games but may possibly lack the dexterity to complete them......

Look how upset it makes you.

Of course; when out of arguments, pretend the other is angry. :D

And why exactly would I be upset at something that has 0% chance of happening?

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
Fromsoft obviously has a target audience. I feel for people with disabilities but what exactly is the solution here? Implement a godmode for the 0.5% of disabled people who may or may not buy the game?

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're mad more people want to enjoy From games but may possibly lack the dexterity to complete them......

Look how upset it makes you.
There is no more dexterity needed to beat a From game than any other of the countless AAA games with difficulty settings.

They just punish you more for playing poorly.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It doesn't matter what I want, Miyazaki wants these games to be like that. he wants everyone who plays these games to experience these things. It would change something for him. I don't know why this keeps need for explaining. It doesn't make me feel bad, all I do in the OT is trying to help people who are struggling, just like I got help when I was struggling. Can you people stop screaming elitist at others just because you can't really explain why you are hellbent on having these 5 games compromising on their gamedesign?

I never said that they are ffs. Just stop this bullshit already. No game is for everyone, these games happen to not be for everyone because of their difficulty for some people.

Newsflash: They don't owe you shit either, yet you keep acting like they do for some reason. If you don't respect the way they make their games, why do you even want to play them? The Witness is not for me, I'm not going online to ask the guy for easier puzzles. Why do you feel so goddamn entitled to play these games the way you want to?

You implied in the tone of all of your posts.

Entitled? Is an easy mode that exists for people with disabilities/limitations an entitlement?

Accessibility isn't bullshit and maybe some of us that as superseding some nebulous "compromises".

We are allowed to criticize them for having that concept. Also no one is forcing FROM to do anything, they can and will do whatever they want obviously. But we are allowed to criticize them for a lack of options that we think should be in the game.

Fucking exactly. From Software's games aren't immune from criticism over this issue.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I'm the kind of selfish bastard that wants games made for me. So, yeah, while I'm not a From Software fan, I respect the fuck out of their games because they're made for only a certain kind of person. I wish more developers didn't feel like they had to compromise their vision just to hit broad appeal.

Fuck that. Shit is weak.

Explain how they compromise their vision by making a difficult ass game, as it already is. And then when it's done, add wimpy mode that gives the player buffs? Explain.

Because nothing is stopping then from putting a disclaimer that says, "We recommend normal difficulty for the best experience".

Literally no good reason NOT to add an accessibility mode or some such. None. Not one other than elitism and bullshit videogame "street cred" and notoriety.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I think your take is bullshit and I think you're an ableist.

Here's the fucking deal: not everyone is as capable as you. Some of us have issues with muscle tension and coordination. I might work just as hard as you, but I got a handicap, so any accomplishment you feel, I work ten times as hard to get. It would be nice to play a game that feels just as good to me as it does to you. That's what difficulty modes are for.

The fundamental problem with assholes who think there should be no difficult modes is a lack of empathy. You think everyone shares your body, your skill level. You think everyone has the same experience.

You don't. Fuck outta here with this take.
You have a very good point ,but developers also have the right to release the game with the difficulty according to their vision/strategy, in this case Soul like games are popular because they are difficult.thats their niche/meme

However imo the best solution would be decreasing the difficulty on normal mode, it would still be hard,but no ridiculously punishing in some cases, and leave NG+ for the really hardcores to play with

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I find that some people in here who are conflating disabilities and able-bodied people's lack of ability to play a hard game borderline offensive. They are not the same thing.

You do not have a disability. You are asking for From to cater to you because you either can't or don't want to be better at a game. Do not conflate that with people who are barely about to see, hear or pick up a controller.
I feel like this entire line of conversation would be improved if people were just specific in what disabilities they're referring to and how they prevent people from completing From games in particular.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Very poor analogy. And it's not the first time it's been attempted either. Movies are completely passive, and don't depend on the skill or dexterity of the viewer to finish. In addition, if the viewer is squeamish, but loves tension, they can simply close their eyes at overwhelming moments.
What you're obstinately refusing to understand is that difficulty in From Software games is not only a measure of skill or dexterity. Difficulty is baked into the games' design from the very foundation. It influences the game. It's a part of the game's content. Difficulty, quite fundamentally, changes the content of the game, is used to convey the messages of the game, and the way the player reacts/is expected to react to progress through the game forms the metanarrative, and that too depends on difficulty. The closest analogy I can think of right now is something like reading Ulysses or The Divine Comedy, where progress is difficult.

The biggest reason people cherish the difficulty of From Software games is because of how it accentuates, emphasises and develops the entire experience- hell, thanks to how it is, in many ways, fundamental to the experience.

In From Software games, difficulty is content. Difficulty is message. Difficulty is story.

There are not so many games out there for which you can say the same thing.

I find that some people in here who are conflating disabilities and able-bodied people's lack of ability to play a hard game borderline offensive. They are not the same thing.

You do not have a disability. You are asking for From to cater to you because you either can't or don't want to be better at a game. Do not conflate that with people who are barely about to see, hear or pick up a controller.

Quoting you for clarification, there's a reason I started that post with "Able-bodied people". Disability accommodations are a different matter.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Fromsoft obviously has a target audience. I feel for people with disabilities but what exactly is the solution here? Implement a godmode for the 0.5% of disabled people who may or may not buy the game?

Plenty of disabled people play Fromsoft games so I'm not sure why that argument keeps coming up.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Helluva thread backfire in here.

Personally, I like more difficulty. It add what I like to call "texture" to the experience. Little things matter more. Decisions are more consequential. Environmental design elements that you wouldn't pay any attention to on easy (like walls for cover) become critical aspects of play in harder difficulties. You have to *respect* the enemy AI.

That being said, it doesn't need to be the only way to experience a game. Ninja Gaiden Black was my shit and beating it on harder difficulties was a very satisfying experience. But I probably wouldn't have been playing New Game+ modes if I hadn't been able to beat the game and enjoy it to start with. I'd say the same for Nier: Automata.

Not everyone needs an experience like I Wanna Be The Boshy.

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hey, they modded out Mr. X in RE2R, I'm sure, they will remove easy mode in your FROM game via mod, so everyone can be happy!

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
But for those who stick with it and finish it, there's a good chance it will end up being one of their favorite games.

I think Miyazaki realizes that's the trade-off he's making, and I think it's awesome that he's cool with it.

Reckon they'd enjoy it all the same if other players could play the game on a lower difficulty.

Another thing they could do is prevent you from switching difficulty on an existing playthrough. I was tempted to do that with DMC5 but I saw I'd have to start a new game. That would help OP keep their pride.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, I'm with you on that one Blade Wolf. It's like when I play Bayonetta, I tend to do first run on Normal, then Hard and then I usually stick to Hard for subsequent playthroughs. But I'd love if the game forced me to play on Infinite Climax right away, I'd be better at it and have more of sense of accomplishment for doing so. Not having a choice is sometimes more liberating and meaningful than having one.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

I can't begin to convey how little I think of you right now.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
I agree there shouldn't be an "easy" setting but only because traditionally that's what summoning was for. Summoning was such a great mechanic to help self select your own difficulty.

Summoning or an equivalent should absolutely be included in all these games.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
Of course. That's just part of my case against the criticism. This is all really circular.
You are right. The argument could be made for Dark Souls as you can make it easier through summoning, and adding a difficulty dilutes that whole communal experience somewhat. I don't think it's an argument that can be made for Sekiro, however.
You very well could be right about Sekiro. I've only watched streams of it so far, honestly. But seeing as how it's a singleplayer thing with mod support that's departing from Souls in a lot of ways, I suspect more difficulty options wouldn't hurt its message as much if at all.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Explain how they compromise their vision by making a difficult ass game, as it already is. And then when it's done, add wimpy mode that gives the player buffs? Explain.

Because nothing is stopping then from putting a disclaimer that says, "We recommend normal difficulty for the best experience".

Literally no good reason NOT to add an accessibility mode or some such. None. Not one other than elitism and bullshit videogame "street cred" and notoriety.
Countless people have answered that question in this 15 page thread.

You just don't like the answer.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Agreed. The argument that it is exclusionary to people with physical disabilities is a completely reasonable one. But a person suggesting that it is exclusionary because they, a fully able-bodied person "can't" play it is completely unequivolent.

You can get better and overcome the challenge, you just don't want to. There is nothing wrong with that but if the developers have a single difficulty level as a central part of their vision I see no reason why they shouldn't do it just because there are people who are fully capable of beating it but don't want to do it. At that point you're just not interested in what the game is, and again, that's totally fine.

This very different than a physical disability getting in the way of someone playing the game.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I wouldn't mind difficulty options as long it happens organically in-game. DS2 had the Covenant of Champions and Sekiro has the Cursed Bell , both which increases the difficulty of the game.
True, Sekiro and Dark Souls 2 do have difficulty settings. But somehow I doubt that's what people have in mind haha...

That does raise an interesting question though. If the Company of Champions is Hard Mode, does this make the non-covenant Easy Mode? What if the Easy mode is still too hard for some people, but too easy for others?

Who decides what is truly an Easy mode?

wich one is harder, Sekiro or Ni Oh ?
Sekiro, IMO, but I haven't finished it yet.

Nioh has some ridiculous optional challenges though, like insane waves of enemies and bosses, plus various difficulty settings in NG+ and later. Nioh on "Way of the Nioh" is probably harder than anything in Sekiro (I never made it that far, it's like NG++++). Then again, Nioh is an RPG, and so has "cheese" possibilities like grinding, making OP/cheese builds, etc.

But, overall, NG only, I think Sekiro is harsher.

I don't see how "Then don't drop down, deal with it" is different from "Then don't play the game, deal with it", to be perfectly honest with you.
Good point.

collige

Oct 31, 2017

Disclaimers only do so much. If a developer adds an advertised difficulty mode to a game, I think most players would agree that they then have a responsibility for balancing it properly and making that experience enjoyable or else they will justly complain about the game having broken modes.

To bring up Ace Combat 7 again, I think a pretty strong argument could be made that the developers adding an optional simplified control scheme actually hurt their Metacritic score.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
An "easy" mode is completely antithetical to what Miyazaki has repeatedly said he wants his games to accomplish, yet the topic continues to come up with every new release.....Its never going to happen.

A conventional easy mode (more health, less damage, less enemy health) wouldn't even make the game that much easier if you don't learn the timing for parrying, countering, and dodging. That is the game. Now, if by easy mode you want slower enemies/attacks, fewer attack patterns, single-phase bosses, and wider parrying, dodging, and countering windows.....then you want a different video game altogether. Its not a Miyazaki game anymore, and fans of the genre justifiably don't want to see that.
Great post. Saying that adding difficulty levels wouldn't change things is being disingenuous because it completely changes the creators design philosophy. Games with multiple difficult settings usually doesn't change much on the hardest setting outside of health and damage because it would require them to fundamentally rework their systems to accommodate every play style. It is unfair to expect every game to accommodate every type of player.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they don't add Easy mode because the game would be really boring/bad in it. Or would require too many changes to the core gameplay to make it feel satisfying on both difficulties. Maybe they feel doing this doesn't really add enough sales while also losing out sales on existing audience.

Also I hate how these threads usually resort to name calling Entitled and Elitists. Its pretty fkin stupid tbh.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
What you're obstinately refusing to understand is that difficulty in From Software games is not only a measure of skill or dexterity. Difficulty is baked into the games' design from the very foundation. It influences the game. It's a part of the game's content. Difficulty, quite fundamentally, changes the content of the game, is used to convey the messages of the game, and the way the player reacts/is expected to react to progress through the game forms the metanarrative, and that too depends on difficulty. The closest analogy I can think of right now is something like reading Ulysses or The Divine Comedy, where progress is difficult.

The biggest reason people cherish the difficulty of From Software games is because of how it accentuates, emphasises and develops the entire experience- hell, thanks to how it is, in many ways, fundamental to the experience.

In From Software games, difficulty is content. Difficulty is message. Difficulty is story.

There are not so many games out there for which you can say the same thing.

Quoting you for clarification, there's a reason I started that post with "Able-bodied people". Disability accommodations are a different matter.

Yeah sorry, I was agreeing with you. They're two very different things. If people were in here crying out for more control or visual options for disabled people for example, my tune would be very different.

Like I say though, difficulty options are fine, but Miyazaki not including them is also fine. People who just find the games too difficult Vs other games don't have to play. From doesn't owe you anything. Let them do their thing, there's a lot of stuff to play out there so I don't get why they're being singled out when there's so much else on offer.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Spending 2 hours failing to kill the same boss due to shitty animations is what I call waste of time, not sense of accomplishment.

I've played through Dark Souls, and after beating certain parts of the game I didn't feel accomplishment, I felt relief I would not have to do it again.

Nov 10, 2017
It does, though. The games' designs revolve very closely around the idea of dying over and over again to master the mechanics, and dealing with the consequences of that; having, say, Dark Souls be an easy game would change that.

You're essentially saying a game not shipping with cheats is elitism.

Some games are seen as good for being easy though, like Dynasty Warriors.

The fact of the matter everyone asking for an easy mode refuses to understand is that difficulty changes how you interact with a game, and that can play into the aims of a game. The developers don't have to cater to the way you want to experience a game if it contradicts what they want to achieve, and seeing as how they've been fine-tuning the idea of dying again and again to eventually master a combat system throughout six games now, I'd say From Software has made it clear that they see difficulty as a part of their games' experience.

Yes. Difficulty is part of the experience.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not every game needs to be for everyone. Not every movie comes with an explanation. Not every book comes in an alternative version so everyone can enjoy it. I apploud games becomeing more accessible for everyone, but not every game has to. I sincerely hope from stays close to their DNA and keeps doing what they are doing. Making custom tailored edge on your seat experiences with no other option than to suck it up. I agree with the OP completely. The sense of accomplishment diminishes when i can just toggle it to easy mode. For me at least.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I've read the non answers. Even implied within my own post. If the developer feels the way they do, it's whatever. Guess nothing can be done.

It's still stupid.

But IF they did, why on Earth would it be a problem for some of you.

I think if From add Easy mode it wouldn't actually be a problem for most people right now.

But I think they are afraid that if more people end up buying the game because of easy mode. The developer would start catering more to that audience and eventually Easy mode would be the "standard" for the game and become the definitive experience. Either that OR , the easy mode is a mediocre experience which sorta gives the brand a negative perception.

Idk thats all I could think of. Personally I dont think it would cause any harm. Perhaps it could hamper brand growth as newcomers immediately go to easy mode and then dont really invest in the brand because it was a "meh" game.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Reckon they'd enjoy it all the same if other players could play the game on a lower difficulty.

Another thing they could do is prevent you from switching difficulty on an existing playthrough. I was tempted to do that with DMC5 but I saw I'd have to start a new game. That would help OP keep their pride.

They do this in Sekiro in NG+ with an item you get at the beginning of the game. You can give it back to the person who gave it to you to make enemies do chip damage on attacks you don't block perfectly (technically this is the "medium" setting because there is a harder one still), but if you play on this setting and don't like it you can take the item back, but you then lose the option to play without it. Most new players don't know about this item. You could say they were playing on the easy difficulty this whole time.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Wow.

Keep fighting to keep these Soulsborne games sacred experiences only for true games and the last existing true artistic expressions of merit in gaming then.

They're not that, though.

I remember an insightful Twitter thread about how good Dark Souls was for them from an accessibility standpoint. And I mean accessibility not in terms of streamlining, simplification, or ease of use, but in terms of jiving with specific needs this person has as someone with disabilities.

Dark Souls, in many ways, is supremely approachable. In the moment to moment gameplay, you're asked to have a sense of curiosity, to be cautious, to pay attention to details. You do that with a set of controls that actually isn't particularly complicated. You have the ability to significantly customize the experience to suit your gameplay preferences.

Most of all, there's a sense of accomplishment around every corner, with multiple outlets for progression.

Dark Souls is relatively niche, but I strongly suspect that audience is surprisingly diverse - that it's niche but not necessarily specialized. You see all sorts of people, people with a variety of gaming preferences, fall for it. The Argument that it needs an easy mode to have broad appeal falls across some simplistic assumptions, imo.

(Now, I feel conflicted on whether it should have an easy mode. I'm very open to that possibility. I just don't think the idea that this discussion is about whether Dark Souls should remain Sacred holds much water.)

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I'm sure someone's already said it but non-Sekiro games have easy mode in the form of summons, where no boss has any AI that can handle 2 or more players, which leaves at least one player completely untargeted and free to kill the boss.

You can just lay on the floor while someone else kills it for you, it can't get any easier than that if someone wants to experience the minimalist narrative without putting in any of the effort.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Textbook example of "everyone asking others to see things from their point of view and not giving a shit about others' point of view". What about Player 3 who would switch to Easy mode if given the option but prefers not to have that option?

This is not actually Player 3, but Player 1, and a subset. An actual Player 3 would be someone who doesn't find normal mode challenging, just as an example.

So what about Player 1s who would switch to Easy even if it would ruin their own experience? I suppose that's a valid argument. It's a bit weak, but I could see it.

Nobody in this thread said "Easy makes the game too easy for you, Player 2". That's a strawman you made on the spot. And it would be nice if we didn't use "trolling", let alone "concern trolling", to describe "people giving their opinions on what they want".

Arguing that dumbing down the game would mean players wouldn't need to learn the mechanics, for example, is arguing exactly that. It's not a strawman. It is of course NOT the only argument being put forth in this thread for no difficult modes. Didn't imply that, only speaking to this one particular point.

And concern trolling is an apt phrase for pretending to care about the experience of others when you're actually only caring about your own.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blade Wolf

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
How is that a great thing when it's even worse than having an easy mode?

Developers can do whatever they want, and people can play however they want.

I said I'm glad FROM isn't catering to people who want an easy mode, but I didn't said people who hate the difficulty can't cheat.

As long as the games are designed with well balanced challenge in mind I'm good. People can make their own easy mode if they want.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think they should have an accessibility option which makes the game easier. The game is intended to be very difficult and it's intended to be centered around overcoming difficult that seems overwhelming to many, that's the point of the game, the design intent, and I appreciate that the singular difficulty seeks to preserve that.

But there are also players with disabilities who cannot complete the actions required by the game within the timing required. Players who, the game is not difficult, but impossible. I'm sure that the developers would agree that these players don't have access to the intended experience.

An accessibility mode, which enabled easier settings (similar to something like Celeste's assist mode stamp) which clearly designates that this experience is outside of the original intended gameplay experience but exists so that some players are able to experience the game at all. If you're playing on this accessibility (assist mode) then you're not experiencing the game in the way that the designers intended (that should be made very clear) but at least you are able to experience the game in entirety, like everyone else.

I think that framing such an option as an accessibility mode would also help players understand that this is not the intended experience (unless you have an accessibility use case), and avoid the pitfall that players start on easy, simply out of habit and then miss out on some of the appreciable game design elements that come with the harder difficulty.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You implied in the tone of all of your posts.

Entitled? Is an easy mode that exists for people with disabilities/limitations an entitlement?

Accessibility isn't bullshit and maybe some of us that as superseding some nebulous "compromises".
I implied jack shit, all I did was disagreeing with you, which was all it took for you to try putting me in the elitist corner without addressing anything I said.

No easy mode just exists for people with disablities/limitations, and most easy modes don't really help these people, either. The only thing in gaming in the last years that actually was a huge step forward in that regard was Microsoft's controller. Don't play that card now.

Nothing about Miyazaki wanting to create a state of constant tension in his games is nebulous. You wouldn't be questioning whether to get to the next bonfire with your accumulated currency or head back, you wouldn't have the same amount of relief when finally beating a boss you put dozens of tries in. The whole surpressing atmoshere of these games wouldn't be the same on a lower difficulty. Saying this isn't me being elitist or thinking that's the only way to experience these games. It's simply what Miyazaki obviously intended, since he keeps making these games that way. Call him elitist then.

I didn't call accessibility bullshit but your way of trying to frame me in ways you can discredit my arguments without addressing them by putting words in my mouth. Hillariously, you've been doing it again with the exact same sentence this paragraph refers to. You're being disingenuous as fuck, constantly mischaracterizing what I have been saying, and it's not the slightest bit producitive or even amusing to try having a conversation with you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.