• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Disclaimers only do so much. If a developer adds an advertised difficulty mode to a game, I think most players would agree that they then have a responsibility for balancing it properly and making that experience enjoyable or else they will justly complain about the game having broken modes.

To bring up Ace Combat 7 again, I think a pretty strong argument could be made that the developers adding an optional simplified control scheme actually hurt their Metacritic score.

If development of the intentioned, recommended difficulty would be compromised by creating an easy mode, then no. I do not want that either.

But if it's feasible, I'm always for it.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm not entirely for difficulties having to be added but jesus christ some Souls fans can't take criticism and differing opinions.

Sekiro wasn't for me, and I can't blame the game much, but I am a little bit worried the git gud crowd will constantly demand harder faster games that make From games even less accessible. Of course, Sekiro isn't a Souls game and we may not even get another Souls game so this worry may be for nought.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I can't begin to convey how little I think of you right now.

I don't know you, and so couldn't care less about what you think of me.

At the end of the day I'm strongly against how there are no doubt able bodied people in here that are complaining about a game being difficult, calling for inclusivity and conflating their misgivings with said difficulty with those that have disabilities that literally prevent them from not just playing hard games, but games in general.

The latter is an audience that every developer in the industry should be striving to cater to through hardware and software.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest reason people cherish the difficulty of From Software games is because of how it accentuates, emphasises and develops the entire experience- hell, thanks to how it is, in many ways, fundamental to the experience.

But Sekiro has an explicit and optional harder difficulty. If the one ideal difficulty is so integral to the experience then by your logic the devs have undermined their own supposed goal by letting you adjust the difficulty. The dumb old devs. If only they knew what they were going for as well as the fans did.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
There's no reason to not be OK with an easy mode unless knowing that other people couldn't complete the game is part of the appeal to you

And for some of you, IT IS part of the appeal but you refuse to admit it to yourselves

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't suggest you did propose that, I was asking a hypothetical question.

If there were only five games and they all catered for a very small audience, I'd agree... but there isn't. There are shite loads of games that cater to all ability levels.

I like the fact that something like - for example - EVE Online exists. I can't ever play it (as much as I want to); I have neither the time or brain power - and that's okay. It makes the video game landscape richer to have all different kinds of games that cater to all different kinds of folks.

Every single game does not have to cater to every single person.
I'm not really interested in your hypothetical since it's not something I'm talking about or suggesting in any way. I am simply stating that celebrating a lack of options because it lets us stroke our own ego is wrong-headed, lacking in fundamental empathy, and that it reeks of meaningless gatekeeping and policing of the experiences of others. This isn't about whether FROM includes a mode or not, it's about the really gross attitudes around the possibility.
No its not, its a feeling of accomplishment. When you get a great score on a test and the curve shows you were in the 1% are you an elitist for being proud of yourself for getting a score that high on a test others took and scored less well on? No, youre proud that out of your peers you managed to get the best score on a difficult test. What about getting a promotion at work? Are you an elitist if youre proud that out of all your peers applying you were the one who got the job? No. If everyone can just beat these games that feeling of accomplishment wouldn't be there, and it doesn't make someone an elitist for feeling that way. Miyazaki even stated that that was the intended goal of these games, to face huge challenges and the feeling of accomplishment for over coming them.
Elitism, ego, whatever you want to call the hollow thing that can only be appeased by lacking options which do not have any effect on the core experience for those who don't wish to use them. The point remains the same. As long as your experience remains intact, wanting to deny accessibility options to others on principle is ridiculously self-absorbed.
I am, however, interested in the creative team making their creative vision, especially considering there are seemingly new games releasing at all hours of days.

It's okay if some games aren't for you and for other people.

Fighting games are way too tough for me to play online, but that's ok! I just play other games. It's all good.
I'm not disputing this, nor advocating for creators to be forced to do anything that isn't in their creative vision. That is not the core point of the argument.

Also I'll say this again since it keeps coming up for some reason. Souls games are "for me". I've beaten all of them, without summoning, some of them on challenge runs, save for Sekiro. I'm not making this argument for myself, it's just possible for me to look beyond my experience and think that it's fine for someone to enjoy something a different way from me, especially if they cannot enjoy it the same way as me for some reason outside of their control.

To the rest of you replying to me to agree, just wanna say you're good people and I'm glad to see this is such a dominant sentiment on era despite it being a more "hardcore" crowd. I think you'd struggle to find this sort of attitude in most other enthusiast settings.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I think it takes at least a couple of weeks for people to calm down a little and really get to know the game because every first time in souls or bloodborne, you get people calling it impossible. Mastering the game takes time, and it usually takes longer than a week for an actuall consensus on difficulty to emerge with these games. It takes time to master the game and it will take longer than the weekend most people had with the game.
With other souls games, you maybe waited for the wikis to fill up, and people's general skills at the combat would increase with the amount of time and attempts they would invest. Sekiro has that too, where tactics are discovered, tips and tricks are being shared. A certain crowd needs to forget the old lessons from old souls games and get to know the new learning curve this game presents with its clashes and parries.
I think we'll have people calling this game easy in a few months time.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These games are made with the difficulty in mind. It's as big of a part of these games as jumping is in Super Mario Bros. The devs balanced every single aspect about these games around that difficulty. There is really nothing in these games that makes them impossible to master and get better at the longer you play. If that's not an option for some of you, or you just want instant gratification then these game aren't really made for you in the first place and there are millions of other games out there to play instead.

Not every game can be made for everyone. I get that some might not want to miss out on these game but it's just the way it is. Nobody would demand that a horror game or a movie be less scarier because some can't deal with it. The same logic applies here.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I said I'm glad FROM isn't catering to people who want an easy mode, but I didn't said people who hate difficulties shouldn't cheat.

So you're fine with cheating a game, which in turn certainly doesn't make it the game the developers created, yet you don't want difficulty options that the developers would have created to their preferences?

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think if From add Easy mode it wouldn't actually be a problem for most people right now.

But I think they are afraid that if more people end up buying the game because of easy mode. The developer would start catering more to that audience and eventually Easy mode would be the "standard" for the game and become the definitive experience. Either that OR , the easy mode is a mediocre experience which sorta gives the brand a negative perception.

Idk thats all I could think of. Personally I dont think it would cause any harm. Perhaps it could hamper brand growth as newcomers immediately go to easy mode and then dont really invest in the brand because it was a "meh" game.

I don't see an artist like Miyazaki compromising on his vision. Not that way. I also never expect an easy mode either, regardless of how "for it" I am.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sekiro has been the most enjoyable From Software game for me but there are ways to praise and champion the challenge they provide without excusing the lack of options for less experienced and less-abled people. While I don't think it was the OP's intention, it's inherently an unnecessarily exclusionary position to have. From's games are good because of how intricately they're crafted, not because of how they don't let bad players finish them.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not entirely for difficulties having to be added but jesus christ some Souls fans can't take criticism and differing opinions.

Sekiro wasn't for me, and I can't blame the game much, but I am a little bit worried the git gud crowd will constantly demand harder faster games that make From games even less accessible. Of course, Sekiro isn't a Souls game and we may not even get another Souls game so this worry may be for nought.

Nobody demanded shit. This is From's artistic vision and if they think all you need is one game mode, why is that so hard to accept?

This forum universally agrees that publishers should never get in the way of devs and should let them do their thing. I guess that only applies if their vision lines up with yours.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So an easy mode = no sale?
for me yes...absolutely, when it comes to his games and this saga. Game has proven it sells and there is a core audience for it that demands and wants the game to be hardcore.

You want to play the game so badly? play it, adapt, get better..get mad, break things, do what you want...but why should a developer sacrifice his vision because gamers want hand holding? if you guys want an easy mode on soulsbourne games, maybe the games just arent for you.

OP
OP
Blade Wolf

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
So you're fine with cheating a game, which in turn certainly doesn't make it the game the developers created, yet you don't want difficulty options that the developers would have created to their preferences?

I'm fine with OTHERS cheating if they want to. I would never fucking do that, for me the challenge is the point and I love it. That's why I make this thread.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I implied jack shit, all you did from the beginning is trying to put me in the elitist corner without addressing anything I said.

No easy mode just exists for people with disablities/limitations, and most easy modes don't really help these people, either. The only thing in gaming in the last years that actually was a huge step forward in that regard was Microsoft's controller. Don't play that card now.

Nothing about Miyazaki wanting to create a state of constant tension in his games is nebulous. You wouldn't be questioning whether to get to the next bonfire with your accumulated currency or head back, you wouldn't have the same amount of relief when finally beating a boss you put dozens of tries in. The whole surpressing atmoshere of these games wouldn't be the same on a lower difficulty. Saying this isn't me being elitist or thinking that's the only way to experience these games. It's simply what Miyazaki obviously intended, since he keeps making these games that way. Call him elitist then.

I didn't call accessibility bullshit but your way of trying to frame me in ways you can discredit my arguments without addressing them by putting words in my mouth. Which is all you've been doing. Hillariously, you've been doing it again with the exact same sentence this paragraph refers to. You're being disingenuous as fuck, constantly mischaracterizing what I have been saying, and it's not the slightest bit of producitive or even amusing to try and have a conversation with you.

Why don't you ask them? I'm not going to assume it doesn't help them, as you do. I guess you didn't play Celeste, which offers both hard as nails difficult and various easier modes. And please, most games don't have closed captions, which would be a HUGE boost to people like me with hearing softer sounds and gameplay cues.

To the last part, I wrote a few not nice things in response. You know what, you're not worth me getting banned over. Talk to you never :)

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
It's only sekiro that doesn't really have options as far as i can see, and why i haven't got it yet. All the rest of the souls games you can summon or just grind grind grind. Options are great aren't they?

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But Sekiro has an explicit and optional harder difficulty. If the one ideal difficulty is so integral to the experience then by your logic the devs have undermined their own supposed goal by letting you adjust the difficulty. The dumb old devs. If only they knew what they were going for as well as the fans did.

The things that make difficulty so integral are still present on a harder difficulty, though. Arguably even more prominently than normal, as you'll probably need to get even deeper into the game's mechanics to succeed there.

That was an interesting point though, thanks.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
You implied in the tone of all of your posts.

Entitled? Is an easy mode that exists for people with disabilities/limitations an entitlement?

Accessibility isn't bullshit and maybe some of us that as superseding some nebulous "compromises".

Fucking exactly. From Software's games aren't immune from criticism over this issue.

The compromise is changing your design philosophy to cater to a larger audience. If that isn't your aim then as a creator you should be able to stick to your vision. Why do you think it would be so simple to add an easy mode? Do you know how difficult it is to balance a game? You do know that takes additional time and resources right?

From would have to change attack patterns, enemy tells, player health, player damage, enemy health, enemy damage. Half of the difficulty that comes from the game is timing. Changing that fundementally changes how each player approaches combat and if the designer wants players to engage in the combat a specific way then you have to narrow your difficulty scope as much as possible.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've read the non answers. Even implied within my own post. If the developer feels the way they do, it's whatever. Guess nothing can be done.

It's still stupid.

But IF they did, why on Earth would it be a problem for some of you.
It's not stupid at all, the game is built around the difficulty, everything stems from it.

Why would it personally bother me? Honestly because if I'm stuck at a really hard boss, it would just feel different if there was an easy mode I could switch too, even if I didn't want too, or hell even if I kept myself from doing it. It would just feel lesser knowing I could have. 95% of the games I play I choose the average difficulty and never play it any other way. But when it's obvious the game was designed with the one difficulty in mind, and every single person struggled the same way you are struggling, IDK there is something about it.

My question is why do all these people who think From are idiots and morons want to play these games so bad? All anyone has to do in this thread is say they like the games the way they are and suddenly you are an elitist gamer. Can't think of that being the case for any other games. And if you want to play them because of how great everyone says they are, and you want to experience it for yourself. Well no one talking about how great they are played them on easy mode, and I think all of them would tell you that the challenge is what made the experience memorable in the first place.

KillerDark

Oct 26, 2017
I think they should have an accessibility option which makes the game easier. The game is intended to be very difficult and it's intended to be centered around overcoming difficult that seems overwhelming to many, that's the point of the game, the design intent, and I appreciate that the singular difficulty seeks to preserve that.

But there are also players with disabilities who cannot complete the actions required by the game within the timing required. Players who, the game is not difficult, but impossible. I'm sure that the developers would agree that these players don't have access to the intended experience.

An accessibility mode, which enabled easier settings (similar to something like Celeste's assist mode stamp) which clearly designates that this experience is outside of the original intended gameplay experience but exists so that some players are able to experience the game at all. If you're playing on this accessibility (assist mode) then you're not experiencing the game in the way that the designers intended (that should be made very clear) but at least you are able to experience the game in entirety, like everyone else.

I think that framing such an option as an accessibility mode would also help players understand that this is not the intended experience (unless you have an accessibility use case), and avoid the pitfall that players start on easy, simply out of habit and then miss out on some of the appreciable game design elements that come with the harder difficulty.

Great post, completely agreed.

OP
OP
Blade Wolf

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
It's only sekiro that doesn't really have options as far as i can see, and why i haven't got it yet. All the rest of the souls games you can summon or just grind grind grind. Options are great aren't they?

There're prosthetic tools that makes each boss fights easier. Also items that strengthens your defense, attack and posture.

There's also stealth and resurrection.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Before i played Bloodborne i thought From's games desperately needed a difficulty option, but playing through bloodborne, slowly understanding what the game wanted from me, and having the game "click" is one of the best feelings i've ever had in a video game, From Software went from a dev i didn't care about at all to making one of my top 10 favorite games of all time.

There's no doubt in my mind that the heart thumping bliss of defeating those bosses in bloodborne would have been completely ruined if i had switched it to easy, i would have felt like i didn't do anything to earn the victory, i would feel defeated after i turned the game onto easy.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason to not be OK with an easy mode unless knowing that other people couldn't complete the game is part of the appeal to you

And for some of you, IT IS part of the appeal but you refuse to admit it to yourselves

It's a point of personal pride for me in the same way that being pretty good at playing music is something I'm proud of. I don't go around telling people about it like it makes me better than others, but if someone told me it was a waste of time to get better at playing music and that it shouldn't take so much work, I would take issue with that.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you guys want an easy mode on soulsbourne games, maybe the games just arent for you.

Yeah good old Soulsborne games with no way to make the challenge easier, thank fuck they didn't include the ability to increase your stats or god forbid they let you summon in other people to help you with a fight. But no they held true to their vision so REAL GAMERS could enjoy it with no way to make the experience weaker (because as we know an easy mode would effortlessly break the will of a REAL GAMER lessening them and dragging them down to the level of the casual, after all despite being gods of gaming they are but human and cannot resist the allure of the difficulty level selector. Weep you casuals, weep for the sorrow your weakness causes these gods)

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The compromise is changing your design philosophy to cater to a larger audience. If that isn't your aim then as a creator you should be able to stick to your vision. Why do you think it would be so simple to add an easy mode? Do you know how difficult it is to balance a game? You do know that takes additional time and resources right?

From would have to change attack patterns, enemy tells, player health, player damage, enemy health, enemy damage. Half of the difficulty that comes from the game is timing. Changing that fundementally changes how each player approaches combat and if the designer wants players to engage in the combat a specific way then you have to narrow your difficulty scope as much as possible.

I'm not saying it easy, just that all this praise for them game NOT having the option is really off putting.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think they should have an accessibility option which makes the game easier. The game is intended to be very difficult and it's intended to be centered around overcoming difficult that seems overwhelming to many, that's the point of the game, the design intent, and I appreciate that the singular difficulty seeks to preserve that.

But there are also players with disabilities who cannot complete the actions required by the game within the timing required. Players who, the game is not difficult, but impossible. I'm sure that the developers would agree that these players don't have access to the intended experience.

An accessibility mode, which enabled easier settings (similar to something like Celeste's assist mode stamp) which clearly designates that this experience is outside of the original intended gameplay experience but exists so that some players are able to experience the game at all. If you're playing on this accessibility (assist mode) then you're not experiencing the game in the way that the designers intended (that should be made very clear) but at least you are able to experience the game in entirety, like everyone else.

I think that framing such an option as an accessibility mode would also help players understand that this is not the intended experience (unless you have an accessibility use case), and avoid the pitfall that players start on easy, simply out of habit and then miss out on some of the appreciable game design elements that come with the harder difficulty.
If this was framed and executed clearly as a mode for accessibility, I would be fine with it.

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
Agree 100% non-ironically with OP. I absolutely love it when games have an intended difficulty set by the developer, and reflects their intention on how the experience was meant to be played.

There is no difficulty in Super Mario Brothers. There is no difficulty in Sonic the Hedgehog. This was an era when mastery of a game still meant something.

This experience does not fit every game nowadays, nor should it. But it absolutely should exist. And although I suck at Sekiro, I am SO glad it exists without compromise.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Accessibility is important, and the people who shit all over that aren't much better than the anti-diversity GG types, IMO.

U0u0givn.jpeg

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something that always fascinates me when this topic comes up is if you go into any OT for games such as those made by From Software, you'll see people praising the games for all kinds of reasons. These range from stuff like the level/world design, the lore of the world, armor and weapon design, the music of the games, especially in particular boss fights and speaking of which the design of the enemies and bosses themselves are another huge draw, etc. There are just so many pluses about these games that people gush about, and rightly so. And of course the difficulty comes up as well. But that's only part of the discussion and just as much if not more is spent on all that other stuff.

But yet in threads like this, all this other stuff disappears. Suddenly, it's ONLY that difficulty that matters, and the game itself would suddenly fall apart if it weren't there, or if it were there, but so much as an option, an OPTION to play it on a lower difficulty were there. All that stuff about praising the level design, the music, the monster design, the weapons, armor, etc? All vanish. Apparently, it was only ever the difficulty that mattered to begin with and any and all praise levied on those other aspects of the games were just lies since they apparently matter for fuck all if so much as an OPTION for lower difficulty were added. Nope, apparently the difficulty is the ONLY things these games have going for them at all. Music? Trash. Level design? Garbage. Music? Nothing there either. Only thing that they have going for them is difficulty.

Of course, that's pure nonsense, as you can see in any OTs for these games. There's so much more to these games than that and the idea that the difficulty is literally all they have going for them and that anything would be lost by adding even so much as difficulty options is insane to me (and quite frankly, insulting to the games and all the work that went into those other aspects of the game, and dishonest beside because, again referring to those OTs, I know that's very rarely the only part people praise). Because with those options, that hard difficulty would still be there. And not only would the difficulty still be there if people desire, but so would be the many other aspects that rightly deserve praise, like all that other stuff I mentioned.

Now, to be clear, there's nothing wrong with enjoying a game just for its difficulty. That's a very valid way of playing games, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. But nor is there anything wrong with for those other reasons, and just, say, messing around with various different weapons and builds, or just to enjoy the level design and music, or any number of reasons. And with difficulty settings, all these different players can co-exist with no harm to anyone else.

On the other hand, of course adding difficulty settings naturally comes at the cost of additional resources, for implementing them and balancing them and all that. But even there, making games more accessible by adding difficulty settings can expand the audience to more players than would have ever played the game otherwise, thus meaning more money, and that's a win-win for everyone at that point.

So I can't be against difficulty settings being added, even in games like Dark Souls. There's just so much more to gain than lose IMO.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not stupid at all, the game is built around the difficulty, everything stems from it.

Why would it personally bother me? Honestly because if I'm stuck at a really hard boss, it would just feel different if there was an easy mode I could switch too, even if I didn't want too, or hell even if I kept myself from doing it. It would just feel lesser knowing I could have. 95% of the games I play I choose the average difficulty and never play it any other way. But when it's obvious the game was designed with the one difficulty in mind, and every single person struggled the same way you are struggling, IDK there is something about it.

My question is why do all these people who think From are idiots and morons want to play these games so bad? All anyone has to do in this thread is say they like the games the way they are and suddenly you are an elitist gamer. Can't think of that being the case for any other games. And if you want to play them because of how great everyone says they are, and you want to experience it for yourself. Well no one talking about how great they are played them on easy mode, and I think all of them would tell you that the challenge is what made the experience memorable in the first place.

Friend, just admit you and the OP don't want it because you lack self control and would rather have everyone else excluded rather than you controlling your impulses.

And fwiw, I'm a huge souls fan. I've beaten them all save this latest Tenchu one. I still would have zero problems with easy mode.

Doesn't this new game have a harder difficulty anyway? If so that completely kills the point of artistic vision being tied to a set difficulty experience

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
These games are like life.

Sometimes it's hard, frustrating, and may seem impossible. But if you keep trying and you're persistent, eventually you'll accomplish the goal in front of you.

Life has no easy mode.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That's exactly why I love when games doesn't let me do that. It forces me to take on the challenge which is the point of the game.

It doesn't force you because you can just cheat. Imagine if FROM's next game is only on PC. Imagine if one boss is causing you so much trouble that you've been trying to beat it for 5 days. Would you use a trainer to beat it?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why don't you ask them? I'm not going to assume it doesn't help them, as you do. I guess you didn't play Celeste, which offers both hard as nails difficult and various easier modes. And please, most games don't have closed captions, which would be a HUGE boost to people like me with hearing softer sounds and gameplay cues.

You know what, you're not worth me getting banned over. Talk to you never :)
I took care of someone with disablities for 1 year, he was an avid gamer that simply wasn't able to enjoy most games, which sucked. Easier difficulties didn't help him. Closed captions would be nice, but I don't see how that has anything to do with an easy difficulty.

Yeah, likewise. I haven't seen someone being able to mischaracterize so much in such a short amount of time in a long while, while at the same time being super transparent with their bad faith bullshit. You thought I was an elistist the second I disagreed with you and just went form there, pretending to want any sort of discssion. I don't wish anyone that you disagree with a "discussion" with you. Horrendous. Have a nice day.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nobody demanded shit. This is From's artistic vision and if they think all you need is one game mode, why is that so hard to accept?

This forum universally agrees that publishers should never get in the way of devs and should let them do their thing. I guess that only applies if their vision lines up with yours.
Chill out lmao, you're only proving my point about not taking criticism well, and I meant demand in an economics sense. They aren't coming up with these ideas in a vacuum, not considering what their consumers would want and what would sell well.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Friend, just admit you and the OP don't want it because lack self control and would rather have everyone else excluded rather than you controlling your impulses.
And people who want an easy mode lack the self control to be patient, learn the mechanics and overcome the challenge of a game meant to be challenging.

This is so fun!

Tomeru

May 7, 2018
This is the first game from them that after every difficult encounter I don't get that feeling of accomplishment. I feel relieved to never have that fight again. Its the only game I have no desire to start over, and I still havent finished my first run.

This game is tedious on so many levels...

Status
Not open for further replies.