• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think they should have an accessibility option which makes the game easier. The game is intended to be very difficult and it's intended to be centered around overcoming difficult that seems overwhelming to many, that's the point of the game, the design intent, and I appreciate that the singular difficulty seeks to preserve that.

But there are also players with disabilities who cannot complete the actions required by the game within the timing required. Players who, the game is not difficult, but impossible. I'm sure that the developers would agree that these players don't have access to the intended experience.

An accessibility mode, which enabled easier settings (similar to something like Celeste's assist mode stamp) which clearly designates that this experience is outside of the original intended gameplay experience but exists so that some players are able to experience the game at all. If you're playing on this accessibility (assist mode) then you're not experiencing the game in the way that the designers intended (that should be made very clear) but at least you are able to experience the game in entirety, like everyone else.

I think that framing such an option as an accessibility mode would also help players understand that this is not the intended experience (unless you have an accessibility use case), and avoid the pitfall that players start on easy, simply out of habit and then miss out on some of the appreciable game design elements that come with the harder difficulty.

Bingo. And all this being said, I think defensiveness to the existence of this sort of assist mode is a true malignancy in gaming communities. It's openly-stated hostility toward the entertainment of others. Hand-wringing and No True Scotsmaning about who deserves an easy mode is a deflection from the reality that this kind of option legitimately takes nothing away from the experience of those playing on a standard setting. If their experience is so hollow that others being able to enjoy the game in any way spoils it, I can't even pretend to relate to that mindset.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Already comes with a smugness and elitism mode i dont see how hard it would be to add an easy mode on top.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
On the other hand, of course adding difficulty settings naturally comes at the cost of additional resources, for implementing them and balancing them and all that. But even there, making games more accessible by adding difficulty settings can expand the audience to more players than would have ever played the game otherwise, thus meaning more money, and that's a win-win for everyone at that point.

So I can't be against difficulty settings being added, even in games like Dark Souls. There's just so much more to gain than lose IMO.
This assumes that a wider audience and making more money are things that the developers want.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The things that make difficulty so integral are still present on a harder difficulty, though. Arguably even more prominently than normal, as you'll probably need to get even deeper into the game's mechanics to succeed there.

That was an interesting point though, thanks.

I should have been less facetious. I think you are over-selling how important the difficulty is to the previous games experience. It is certainly an important element but as the games had multiple ways to mitigate it I don't think a certain level of difficulty was necessary integral just that the games were generally "tough" (so the player could adjust as they want). Clearly their vision for Sekiro was different and that's why its more uncompromising. I could probably buy the argument you put forward as it relates to Sekiro but I found it unconvincing for the previous games.

Life has no easy mode.

Yeah, tell that to the 1%.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know... Even infamously hardcore games like Ninja Gaiden had easier difficulties. That didn't stop people from playing on the unfiltered difficulties and the game has cemented its reputation.

But I understand what the OP is saying. If there's an option for an easy out, it's tempting to take it. Summoning to beat bosses was always super underwhelming so I'm selfishly happy I don't have an option for that in Sekiro.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
No difficutly setting, no buy.

Platinumed Bloodborne 4 years ago. But I had more time back then. I don't have time to spend hours on bossfights anymore. Life sometimes happens.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I should have been less facetious. I think you are over-selling how important the difficulty is to the previous games experience. It is certainly an important element but as the games had multiple ways to mitigate it I don't think a certain level of difficulty was necessary integral just that the games were generally "tough" (so the player could adjust as they want). Clearly their vision for Sekiro was different and that's why its more uncompromising. I could probably buy the argument you put forward as it relates to Sekiro but I found it unconvincing for the previous games.
Another thing- these hard modes are almost never used for a first playthrough. An easy mode quite clearly would be.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sort of related.

I really enjoy how hard certain games can be just because I enjoy watching twitch streams and it's fun to watch people bang their heads up against walls until they eventually get it. I get a nice secondhand satisfaction from it.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I love from games and have beaten all of the Souls Style games outside DS3 from them.
I still wouldn't mind them having a easy mode that didn't require a user to always summon. This isn't exclusive to From though, i'm very big on games being something for everyone. Regardless of skill level.

I dont get this viewpoint.. Do you feel the same way about movies or other art forms? - Do you think Tarkovsky movies should be made understandable to everyone or have an easy - this is what I meant with each scene commentary playing alongside?

At the end of the day the only people these products should ideally be true to is the artist creating them. If accessibility is possible to incorporate without sacrificing creativity than sure.. In From's case it is clear that they feel lowering the difficulty or offering an easy mode is antithesis to the experience they are trying to convey as artists and that's okay.

Not everything is for everyone.. Video games are not an essential commodity. It is not a democratic right. Products are not inherently superior if everyone is able to enjoy them.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like this?

f5a7bbf93ce1.jpg
I don't get it. Is that Tenchu?

E: If this is the "pink bow" mentioned below, no this isn't what I mean. I meant it'd be clearly labeled as intended for accessibility purposes and *not* for able-bodied people who want an easy mode.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, this thread. From fans coming off very similar to Rick and Morty fans. The entitled and elitist attitudes are gross.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
You have a very good point ,but developers also have the right to release the game with the difficulty according to their vision/strategy, in this case Soul like games are popular because they are difficult.thats their niche/meme

However imo the best solution would be decreasing the difficulty on normal mode, it would still be hard,but no ridiculously punishing in some cases, and leave NG+ for the really hardcores to play with
That would be a problem for people who don't touch the NG+ modes of these games.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
And people who want an easy mode lack the self control to be patient, learn the mechanics and overcome the challenge of a game meant to be challenging.

This is so fun!

You're full of shit. Not everyone becomes Michael Jordan because they practice enough to overcome the challenges placed before them. Some just want to play ball on that court.

It's a big fucking court.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
think you misunderstood me/half of this entire thread

people are being called elitist for recognising that the difficulty is tied with the design philosophy of these games

Really? Look at this paragraph from the OP:

Some people give up, but you are not one of them. Despite anger and frustration, you still keep going forward. Some people freak out when they die, but you just took it like a fucking champion.

OP says it's not so, but there definitely is an element of wanting to feel superior to others involved here.

And you really don't deserve to feel superior because you beat this slightly harder than normal game.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know... Even infamously hardcore games like Ninja Gaiden had easier difficulties. That didn't stop people from playing on the unfiltered difficulties and the game has cemented its reputation.

But I understand what the OP is saying. If there's an option for an easy out, it's tempting to take it. Summoning to beat bosses was always super underwhelming so I'm selfishly happy I don't have an option for that in Sekiro.

Ninja Gaiden? You mean the game that actively mocked you for choosing a lower difficulty option by giving your character a pink bow ?

I am sorry but these games have a target audience.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Agree 100% non-ironically with OP. I absolutely love it when games have an intended difficulty set by the developer, and reflects their intention on how the experience was meant to be played.

There is no difficulty in Super Mario Brothers. There is no difficulty in Sonic the Hedgehog. This was an era when mastery of a game still meant something.

This experience does not fit every game nowadays, nor should it. But it absolutely should exist. And although I suck at Sekiro, I am SO glad it exists without compromise.

This feels like a concise, good-spirited explanation of why this style of game design is valuable to players. I appreciate this take because it isn't relishing in the exclusivity (or actual exclusion) of other players, it's celebrating the merits of the games themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
I think they should have an accessibility option which makes the game easier. The game is intended to be very difficult and it's intended to be centered around overcoming difficult that seems overwhelming to many, that's the point of the game, the design intent, and I appreciate that the singular difficulty seeks to preserve that.

But there are also players with disabilities who cannot complete the actions required by the game within the timing required. Players who, the game is not difficult, but impossible. I'm sure that the developers would agree that these players don't have access to the intended experience.

An accessibility mode, which enabled easier settings (similar to something like Celeste's assist mode stamp) which clearly designates that this experience is outside of the original intended gameplay experience but exists so that some players are able to experience the game at all. If you're playing on this accessibility (assist mode) then you're not experiencing the game in the way that the designers intended (that should be made very clear) but at least you are able to experience the game in entirety, like everyone else.

I think that framing such an option as an accessibility mode would also help players understand that this is not the intended experience (unless you have an accessibility use case), and avoid the pitfall that players start on easy, simply out of habit and then miss out on some of the appreciable game design elements that come with the harder difficulty.

Sounds good to me 👍

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
While I get what you're saying OP, I feel they should should still add an easier mode but do something like you can't switch to it mid-game. You'd be a lot less likely to start over after already being 10-15 hours in just to beat a boss on easy mode than switching to easy, beating the boss, then going back to the previous difficulty.

Though I admit I flip back and forth on this subject frequently.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'm not getting a feeling of progression from sekiro, just feel like circumstances finally worked to my favour after tons of runs.

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get it. Is that Tenchu?

E: If this is the "pink bow" mentioned below, no this isn't what I mean. I meant it'd be clearly labeled as intended for accessibility purposes and *not* for able-bodied people who want an easy mode.

Yes thats pink bow. If you die too often you get a popup asking to forsake the ninja way or some shit. It then switches to "ninja dog" difficulty and "brands" your character with that bow.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
I don't necessarily disagree with you regarding an Easy mode, OP, but jesus this seems a little too masturbatory.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Something that always fascinates me when this topic comes up is if you go into any OT for games such as those made by From Software, you'll see people praising the games for all kinds of reasons. These range from stuff like the level/world design, the lore of the world, armor and weapon design, the music of the games, especially in particular boss fights and speaking of which the design of the enemies and bosses themselves are another huge draw, etc. There are just so many pluses about these games that people gush about, and rightly so. And of course the difficulty comes up as well. But that's only part of the discussion and just as much if not more is spent on all that other stuff.

But yet in threads like this, all this other stuff disappears. Suddenly, it's ONLY that difficulty that matters

SNIP

The difficulty is kind of the glue that holds everything together. For example, From is really clever with their use of short cuts, if i just got through a particularly difficult stretch of an area that i wouldn't want to fight through again, there's usually a ladder i can kick down, or a door i can unlock so i can skip passed that part, it is indeed very good level design. But if that area was never difficult to begin with, then all of a sudden that short cut losses most of its value.

The music will amplify a boss fight, and if you're intimidated by the boss its going to be that much more effective, if its just another enemy that i'm going to use the same strategy on and brute force my way through then it losses alot of its luster.

This isn't an Uncharted style game where there's alot of cutscenes and set pieces to enjoy even without the combat, the enjoyment is from the combat, and without the difficulty the combat is going to lose most of its effectiveness.

I'm not going to be vehemently opposed to an easy difficulty, but i don't think i'd appreciate the From games anywhere near as much if it were available, and i dont think i'm alone on this.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I dont get this viewpoint.. Do you feel the same way about movies or other art forms? - Do you think Tarkovsky movies should be made understandable to everyone or have an easy - this is what I meant with each scene commentary playing alongside?

At the end of the day the only people these products should ideally be true to is the artist creating them. If accessibility is possible to incorporate without sacrificing creativity than sure.. In From's case it is clear that they feel lowering the difficulty or offering an easy mode is antithesis to the experience they are trying to convey as artists and that's okay.

Not everything is for everyone.. Video games are not an essential commodity. It is not a democratic right. Products are not inherently superior if everyone is able to enjoy them.

I don't feel this difficulty comparison works very well. If this were a thread about Souls games' story/lore presentation, then maybe. But there's nothing comparable in movies or books to combat difficulty.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How would all of those cease to exist by having for example, the normal difficulty (game as designed), and an easier one as an option for those who want/need it? It wouldn't detract at all from the normal experience.
Because Miyazaki wants the "normal" experience to be the only one. You are literally asking the dev to have mode that's (game as designed) and one that... isn't. Miyazaki obviously doesn't want the latter to be a thing. It would detract from the atmosphere, encounter design, and even leveldesign. The bonfires were mostly placed so that you would find them after a gauntlet of challenging stuff, often seeing them like a light at a tunnel, sighing of relief you found it. That would be gone. If I found a shortcut after being through that gauntlet so I can skip it, it is rewarding. If it wasn't hard to get to that shortcut to begin with, it wouldn't be rewarding to find it. And Miyazaki doesn't want these things to happen. So he doesn't implement an easy difficulty.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're full of shit. Not everyone becomes Michael Jordan because they practice enough to overcome the challenges placed before them. Some just want to play ball on that court.

It's a big fucking court.
LMAO, yep you have to be a MJ caliber gamer to beat a From game. That could not ring less hollow to a guy who plays every single game on normal difficulty, and often drops a game that I'm finding tough (Hollow Knight for example) Game. Set. Match. You got me.

There are literally thousands and thousands of courts, and then these five games that people buy knowing that there is a great but fair challenge waiting for them, that you either overcome or don't and that's the fun, can you do it? If you're not into then move the fuck on.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
But yet in threads like this, all this other stuff disappears. Suddenly, it's ONLY that difficulty that matters, and the game itself would suddenly fall apart if it weren't there, or if it were there, but so much as an option, an OPTION to play it on a lower difficulty were there. All that stuff about praising the level design, the music, the monster design, the weapons, armor, etc? All vanish. Apparently, it was only ever the difficulty that mattered to begin with and any and all praise levied on those other aspects of the games were just lies since they apparently matter for fuck all if so much as an OPTION for lower difficulty were added. Nope, apparently the difficulty is the ONLY things these games have going for them at all. Music? Trash. Level design? Garbage. Music? Nothing there either. Only thing that they have going for them is difficulty.
That's a misrepresentation of the argument though. No one is saying the level design is garbage and only difficulty matters (?! where do you even get that). We are saying the level design shines because of the difficulty.

Take something like New Londo Ruins, or Sen's Fortress, or the Valley of Defilement, or Tower of Latria, or Ashina Castle, or any other level generally praised for their design. They are not the easiest ones; in fact they are often among the hardest or harshest ones, full of incredibly dangerous traps and nasty ambushes. Same with the most popular bosses; almost none of the bosses topping people's lists are trivial and most of them are among the most challenging, like Artorias, Kalameet, L&L, Ebrietas, Father G, Ludwig, Genichiro, etc. Monsters like Ludwig wouldn't be as terrifying and iconic if they were a cakewalk to defeat.

We are not arguing that level design doesn't matter and only difficulty does. If that were the case, people would love the Ancient Dragon, a difficult but reviled boss, and they don't, because it's poorly designed.

But we are basically arguing that the difficulty is integral to the quality of these levels and encounters. If the enemies in Tower of Latria were easy to kill and did poor damage, the entire atmosphere of that level would be compromised.

mephixto

Oct 25, 2017
People use the Sugar items on Sekiro? I think that's kinda a subtle way to make the game easier.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I don't feel this difficulty comparison works very well. If this were a thread about Souls games' story/lore presentation, then maybe. But there's nothing comparable in movies or books to combat difficulty.

The essence of the argument is still the same though - People are saying ' More options need to be given to make a product accessible even if it means the final experience is the opposite of what the creator intends to convey'

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The difficulty is kind of the glue that holds everything together. For example, From is really clever with their use of short cuts, if i just got through a particularly difficult stretch of an area that i wouldn't want to fight through again, there's usually a ladder i can kick down, or a door i can unlock so i can skip passed that part, it is indeed very good level design. But if that area was never difficult to begin with, then all of a sudden that short cut losses most of its value.

The music will amplify a boss fight, and if you're intimidated by the boss its going to be that much more effective, if its just another enemy that i'm going to use the same strategy on and brute force my way through then it losses alot of its luster.

This isn't an Uncharted style game where there's alot of cutscenes and set pieces to enjoy even without the combat, the enjoyment is from the combat, and without the difficulty the combat is going to lose most of its effectiveness.

I'm not going to be vehemently opposed to an easy difficulty, but i don't think i'd appreciate the From games anywhere near as much if it were available, and i dont think i'm alone on this.
giphy.gif

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Do you think that other artistic fields dont have guides/explanations of their works? Do you go to film forums and if someone posts a question about Eraserhead tell them it isnt for them and they should "get out"? This is also a terrible analogy, people understand Sekiro just fine they just find it tough to interact with. If you're going to use a shitty movie analogy then a proper analogy would be denying people with poor hearing subtitles or forcing people with poor eyesight to sit an arbitrary distance (determined by the director) from the screen. You can experience a movie in its entirety even if you dont understand every nuance. You cannot experience a game if you cant play it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

Not everything is for everyone.. Video games is not an essential commodity. It is not a democratic right.

I personally think that analogy holds no weight. Since film, literature, and music can be enjoyed by pretty much anyone in some form (Of course with varying degrees). I don't have to understand his film to say that I watched it and saw the credits. Gaming is the only entertainment media that fits with the earlier stated three with such a roadblock. No one in this thread is saying "From must make an Easy mode and diminish their artistic integrity". The posts only state that accessibility options are a conversation worth having.

Hell, Sekiro itself has that on PC. You can download a trainer right now and play with it if needed. I just wish such an option was prevalent on more devices to those who need them. If I lost my arm tomorrow, I dislike the idea that "Well it's not for everyone so you need to just accept your main hobby is gone now". That to me is a ridiculous stance to hold over a game.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I imply it has pros and cons.

Pros accessibility, cons sense of accomplishment.

Yes, but wouldn't that sense of accomplishment remain if there was an easy mode toggle? For example (and I know it's not the same) - I have a sense of accomplishment that I finished Claire, Leon, A and B campaigns in RE2 Remake on Standard difficulty. The fact there is an easier Assisted mode does not take away from that sense - I chose not to play on that difficulty. Likewise, if "Hardcore" difficulty was the only one - I wouldn't have finished the game.

One thing I do understand - if there was an easier difficulty in games like Sekiro - a lot of people would take the easier path and never experience the accomplishment of beating the game on a harder difficulty. I get that. However, that applies only to a group of people who are actually capable of beating the game at its regular difficulty. Now, let me be clear - it is up to From Games to define how hard or easy their game is going to be, and whether they include the difficulty setting. Their choice. There is a sort of brand identity built around these games. I get that, too. But that brand is built around elistist players who don't care about others. I don't have to celebrate it.

For the record, I think Sekiro is a really good game.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Having additional difficulty settings takes nothing away from a game, and the OPs premise is flawed. This isn't a matter of representing the argument, it's fact. A sense of accomplishment is what you make it and if you have so little willpower that you can't help but swap to easy mode and then lose that sense of accomplishment that's on you.

The benefit of them is a much wider group of people can enjoy the game. I don't think devs have to do it but it's a valid criticism of them when they don't, and I see the "git gud" rebukes as insanely condescending and representive of toxic gamer ideology.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I personally think that analogy holds no weight. Since film, literature, and music can be enjoyed by pretty much anyone in some form (Of course with varying degrees). I don't have to understand his film to say that I watched it and saw the credits. Gaming is the only entertainment media that fits with the earlier stated three with such a roadblock. No one in this thread is saying "From must make an Easy mode and diminish their artistic integrity". The posts only state that accessibility options are a conversation worth having.

Hell, Sekiro itself has that on PC. You can download a trainer right now and play with it if needed. I just wish such an option was prevalent on more devices to those who need them. If I lost my arm tomorrow, I dislike the idea that "Well it's not for everyone so you need to just accept your main hobby is gone now". That to me is a ridiculous stance to hold over a game.

Last two sentences, exactly.

Also, people dictating how others should experience a work of art the correct way, can't believe how some can't see how that's elitist.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
also if your sense of accomplishment is destroyed because other people played a game on easy then your sense of self-worth is tied to some smug sense of being able to do something other people can't

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Do you think that other artistic fields dont have guides/explanations of their works? Do you go to film forums and if someone posts a question about Eraserhead tell them it isnt for them and they should "get out"? This is also a terrible analogy, people understand Sekiro just fine they just find it tough to interact with. If you're going to use a shitty movie analogy then a proper analogy would be denying people with poor hearing subtitles or forcing people with poor eyesight to sit an arbitrary distance (determined by the director) from the screen. You can experience a movie in its entirety even if you dont understand every nuance. You cannot experience a game if you cant play it.

At first I almost agreed with the post you replied to - it seemed like a good point. Then I read your reply and it changed my mind. Good analogy.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
You know what games difficulty is just pure bullshit to me?

Hollow Knight

Bought it recently. That worm boss (second boss i think) in the beginning is ridiculous

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
The way some of you act, if you guys were NBA players you'd be livid whenever somebody lowers the rim so some kids can shoot the ball high enough. And don't even get started with those Fisher Price plastic basketball hoops. Damn kids have to just try harder!

It's a point of personal pride for me in the same way that being pretty good at playing music is something I'm proud of. I don't go around telling people about it like it makes me better than others, but if someone told me it was a waste of time to get better at playing music and that it shouldn't take so much work, I would take issue with that.

Would you be less proud if other people could play music more easily? You don't have to go around literally telling people it makes you better than others if you're feeling self-satisfied that other people can't play.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro is the only game of theirs where I'm like "ehhhh" when it comes to my usual attitude, which is that anyone could beat their other games with the right mindset. Like, even for its famous difficulty, Dark Souls 1 could be overcome in a number of ways, from just getting a good shield and playing carefully, to relying on sorcery attacks, to summoning for help. I genuinely believe even a "bad" gamer could get through the game if they just keep their wits about them and try to learn something every time they die. Likewise with Dark Souls 2, 3, and Bloodborne.

Sekiro, I don't know.... I mean, there's a very narrow field of options, and you just can not avoid wading into the thick of it at some point. You must be fast, you must be hyper-aware, and any mistake is severely, severely punished. It feels fundamentally different than their other titles in its attitude.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
This would be more difficult to implement but an interesting option would be if they added a Human PLUS type ability from Armored Core (which is also From Software). In some games in that series, if you fail hard enough repeatedly, your pilot will just be forced to take an enhancement that lasts the rest of the game and this can be done several times.

I guess you would need some creative upgrades and some "lore" reasons for this happening in Souls / Sekiro / whatever but I think it's a pretty great way of adding an easier option. Downside is you have to fail a lot for them to be activated but it's still fun.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Have to laugh at how so many people don't seem to think there's an elitist undertone to this thinking.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even play souls games but I agree. Games are getting way too easy. Force my ass to want to get through your difficult game. Design the game around that difficulty and I'm happy. There are plenty of instances where I believe some games would of actually received a better reviews without an easier option

Status
Not open for further replies.