• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
After Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice, Final Fantasy XV and other titles, Frostpunk has arrived on the Microsoft Store. The store seems to be getting more and more third party games. Don't know if these include deals by Microsoft. Probably do.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/frostpunk/9ns0kh25d76x?cid=msft_web_collection

If you have some MS store credit left to use, use it on this game. It's brilliant! A little short, but the atmosphere is fantastic.

Now, let's hope for Gamepass.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit the ballwashing around UWP in that post he actually typed > Win32.

That's gonna be an OMEGA YIKES from me Jez.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Holy shit the ballwashing around UWP in that post he actually typed > Win32.

That's gonna be an OMEGA YIKES from me Jez.
He likes UWP. It's good to have options. As he said, the app is in a UWP container that is easy to move around multi-monitor setups.

This game is also available on Steam if you don't like UWP. Nothing wrong with offering a UWP version. If it was exclusive to Windows 10, then you'd have a point, but this game is on Steam as well.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
There isn't a console version yet - has there been a game that launched on one platform and pre-announced it would be Play Anywhere?
What I really wanted is the ability for xbox to run anything from the store, even if it's not a proper console version. (and likewise Pc having access to the whole xbone library)

I know we are long ways from that, but we should be going faster to that direction XD

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
What I really wanted is the ability for xbox to run anything from the store, even if it's not a proper console version. (and likewise Pc having access to the whole xbone library)

I know we are long ways from that, but we should be going faster to that direction XD
I don't think we ever see a future like this where Microsoft mandates a console and PC version, it would piss developers off.

As for letting console players play any PC game and vice-versa, that would result in a bunch of unoptimized games on the Xbox Store and vice versa.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't think we ever see a future like this where Microsoft mandates a console and PC version, it would piss developers off.

As for letting console players play any PC game and vice-versa, that would result in a bunch of unoptimized games on the Xbox Store and vice versa.
Not mandate, more like the platform taking care of everything.

Like, give k/m support on xbone and allow it to play any Pc game that is not universal.
And on Pc allow to install even console only games, you get stuff like fixed resolution and settings, can only play with the controller, but at least you can.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Def got my eye on this... was tempted on steam but I do like the Xbox integration so might bite on this version if I hear it runs well.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Any reason why you want to buy it from MS store rather than in Steam? (if you not that Jez guy)

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those tweets

200w.webp

Why? What's the problem with UWP?

I understand the problem with the Microsoft Store, but UWP? Meh. Only downside is that they are unavailable to Windows 7/8 users.

UWP is the biggest problem with the platform by far. It's the total antithesis to what PC gaming is supposed to be, an open platform where you can do whatever you want to a game's files. But it's not just with games it extends to every program really. UWP takes most of that away and holds you at the mercy of MS. You can only do what they allow you to do.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
UWP isn't half bad by itself, however, a large chunk of the PC game market doesn't support it, win10 rollover isn't to the point where Microsoft can trashcan win32 for something simpler, UWP and the store seemed half baked for gaming, and Microsoft's push of the store with UWP can be seen as an attempt to make windows a closed system.

As to mods with UWP: depends on the game, really. FH3 is disk encrypted, while Killer Instinct wasn't (and you could back it up elsewhere.) As for modding the executable, well, it's not like AAAA games have had used nasty encryption schemes to get in the way of doing that or even edit game files.

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I mean.... You don't need to have a UWP app to easily drag it from one monitor to the other one....

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean.... You don't need to have a UWP app to easily drag it from one monitor to the other one....

UWP apps auto borderless fullscreen if you drag them to the top of a different monitor and uhhhhhhhh thats about it, yeah.

e:
It's not going to happen overnight, but Win32 is going away and there is nothing you can do about it. Windows 10 S already set this in motion

The huge success that was Windows 10 S, yeah?

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not going to happen overnight, but Win32 is going away and there is nothing you can do about it. Windows 10 S already set this in motion, most people emailing and Wording on their laptops or whatever will just be ignorant towards the issue and won't get the free Win32 unlock - which is there to ensure MS looks like the good guys here. Then app devs will have to make UWP to reach everybody again. Games will probably take a while longer but it's happening anyway.

large.jpg

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
We don't really know which side is blocking UWP/Xbox from happening on Steam. Seeing how Microsoft is now putting their productivity stuff and even casual games across all platforms on iOS/Android, I don't think it's Valve's cut that keeps them from having some more games on Steam.

I mean, what benefits are there for allowing UWP on Steam?

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, what benefits are there for allowing UWP on Steam?

you get to not be able to mod your games, use the workshop, access data folders, or use the steam overlay, or any features dependent on the overlay like steam controller, messaging or achievement notifications.
But you get those easy to move around multi monitor windows!

Swings and roundabouts really.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Why? What's the problem with UWP?

I understand the problem with the Microsoft Store, but UWP? Meh. Only downside is that they are unavailable to Windows 7/8 users.

The biggest problem with Microsoft Store is UWP. If UWP was acceptable, store itself isn't that bad.

Any reason why you want to buy it from MS store rather than in Steam? (if you not that Jez guy)

Xbox Achievements.

With a follow up tweet where he likes to see UWP's from Steam.

Wouldn't that be basically impossible tho, because how UWP is. (Isolated can't communicate without side MS approved APIs like Xbox)
Unless they package each game with standalone steam client, surely you want to login to both client and each of games.

I will be avoiding UWP games regardless of source, whatever that is Steam, GOG or MS Store.

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
If these game doesn`t support "Play Anywhere", why would someone in their right mind buy these games on Windows Store when they are on Steam as well?

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
How could someone prefer UWP to Win32? Jeez.

Mods, options? Things that makes PC gaming PC gaming?

Those tweets

200w.webp

UWP is the biggest problem with the platform by far. It's the total antithesis to what PC gaming is supposed to be, an open platform where you can do whatever you want to a game's files. But it's not just with games it extends to every program really. UWP takes most of that away and holds you at the mercy of MS. You can only do what they allow you to do.

These right here list why UWP is crap for PC gaming. Even Microsoft themselves stated on record "we're going to focus on making UWP more 'viable' for PC gaming".

We'll keep Win32 TYVM.
But we know Microsoft is adding mods to UWP. Sure it isn't here now but the "mods" thing will soon be irrelevant.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But we know Microsoft is adding mods to UWP. Sure it isn't here now but the "mods" thing will soon be irrelevant.

See, the great thing about W32 is that you don't need to wait for someone else to add officially sanctioned support for mods. You can just go right ahead and modify that executable yourself.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jez is such a shill. I'm going to check out frostpunk soon. Dig the aesthetic. But I'd rather boil my eyelids and eat them that buy it on the windows 10 store.