• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EGM92

Nov 16, 2017
I played a bit of this and really really like it. I unlocked the 2 other scenarios. Is there any randomness to the scenarios though? Every time Ive played the main game I get unrest at specific dates whether or not I've scouted certain areas.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Doing just fine for a good while, then all of a sudden the temperature drops to -60C and freezes half my workplaces. Burning through like a thousand coal a day, can't keep up. Welp. Guess I needed that coal mine after all. (restarts)

EDIT: Got banished. These motherfuckers really don't like soup.

Last edited:

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I beat all the scenarios, really good game, I just pop in a podcast or something with a warm cup of tea and play this. The recap you get after winning is very cool. After I learned how the game works it became easy. Overall I really like how simple this game is, in some other game you'd be looking at spreadsheets and other nonsense to accomplish the same things.

I got really attached to the announcer dude after you become the glorious leader lol.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I beat all the scenarios, really good game, I just pop in a podcast or something with a warm cup of tea and play this. The recap you get after winning is very cool. After I learned how the game works it became easy. Overall I really like how simple this game is, in some other game you'd be looking at spreadsheets and other nonsense to accomplish the same things.

I got really attached to the announcer dude after you become the glorious leader lol.

Ok that's what I wanted to hear. Will buy it when I'm home from work. Always happy to support some smaller devs as well.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the first scenario. What an amazing game. I really like the simplicity of it and the focus of "story". The first scenario also didn't take too long, which is also a plus for me, while it also keeps you engaged with the little twist and turns. Just the right mix of what I would want ouf such a game.

It also looks damn great.

Clawbvious

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Finished all the scenarios.

Game is a blast. The challenges are great.

What hooks me though is the moral stuff. Deep in the map on New Home, there's a cave with 35 kids. Even though it's a waste of resources, I save them every game, I can't help it. I know they're there, so I have to go help them... That's a good manipulation system.

Really looking forward to how they expand it.

Seiru

Oct 25, 2017
Man, the end of the first scenario is terrific. One of the best gaming moments for me this year, by far.

Anybody who has lived through really bad snow storms should appreciate how well the feeling was nailed there. Just the entire world disappearing around you, the unimaginable oppressiveness of it. Absolutely perfect.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
I impulse bought this last weekend mostly since it had good steam reviews and launched at a great price and it has been quite the pleasant surprise.

Not being very replayable is actually a plus here, I love to see a strategy game with fantastic atmosphere that still pushes you into difficult choices.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
flaked out after 21 days, at least unlocked a new scenario. Gotta read up on mechanics tomorrow since I was mostly just flailinga round, got into an endless healthcare spiral because everyone got sick as fuck

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
For both of my games I've been a complete asshole towards scientists, who were on 24-hour shifts literally as often as they'd let me. I suspect that being ahead in tech snowballs you (heh!) into victory.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I agree with understanding the mechanics intuitively. I restarted the first 10 days maybe 3 times to get a feeling of the building and mechanics, went all the way to the storm once and almost made it but got overthrown. On my next attempt, understanding everything in the game, I was able to make through the storm with full stockpiles, over 1k food and 400 survivors. Knowing what is coming changes everything.

Oct 30, 2017
Picked this up at weekend
Restarted a total of 4 times
Now I know what I'm doing I just need to put aside a few hours to go at it properly now.

Maybe this weekend

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
wrapped scenario 1 and that's gonna do it for me. Very exponential kind of game where an early lead will pull you ahead. Keeping a good eye on heat levels and preventing sickness from overwhelming your healthcare until the real crunch has to be the most important part. Well that and abusing the shit out of coal thumpers and automatons

if you're not researching overnight you're really behind the curve

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I picked this up at the beginning of last week, and after a couple of test runs that I reset after a few days, I lost one game around day 15-20 due to my hope draining to zero after a certain event, and then beat that scenario the second time.
I thought I was doing well, but it got very tense towards the end and it really felt like I only just scraped by, as so many things were going wrong. I was down to 8 hours of coal left, with the generator about to go critical.
Until the storm I think I only lost two people - then lost another 44 to it, ending with 625 survivors.

I really enjoyed playing through that first scenario, and after checking out the achievements (since I had unlocked a half-dozen by the end of that game) it looks like some of those would be really challenging if you wanted to replay it.
I was somewhat concerned after hearing that there are only three linear/scripted scenarios, but I found myself thinking about playing through the first one again to see if I can improve things, or to see how it plays out differently.
I do wish there was a proper stats screen displayed at the end though.

I've now made an attempt at the second scenario without any test-runs which seemed like it was going well and wasn't nearly as challenging, only to hit a hard game over because I did not have quite enough resources at a certain point.
Maybe they have already calculated that it's not possible to beat the scenario if you don't have a set amount of resources by that point, but it didn't seem like it was unwinnable with the number of automatons I had going.
The failure conditions that I've hit in the game so far have been quite dissatisfying, as they both felt very abrupt rather than gradually running out of resources and losing to the cold.

The game performance really dragged towards the end (<30 FPS with a Ryzen 1700X / GTX 1070, no matter what graphical options I used - and I was starting to feel nauseous from it) and I do have quite a few issues with the interface.
Towards the late game, it felt like there was far too much micro-management, and then after a certain point there was nothing to do but leave it running on maximum speed.
This is not unique to Frostpunk though - I find it to be a common issue in games like Civilization too. Maybe I'm just approaching these wrong or not playing on a high enough difficulty, but late-game Civ often has me building every possible structure/late-game units available for all of my cities and hitting next-turn a bunch while I wait for a victory condition to be reached, rather than making tactical decisions. Early-game is far more engaging - and it's the same problem here.

By the end of the game, the UI is completely cluttered - and a lot of it is not particularly useful information.
Though I started out with a structured layout, events happened towards the end of the game that resulted in my city being almost random as I scrambled to build.
It would be really useful if holding the Alt key or some other modifier color-coded all of the buildings, or if you could bring up an overlay that let you highlight only certain types of building - such as steam hubs.

Though I liked the idea of having certain buildings which could only be operated by workers or engineers, having to manage that when you have an abundance of either working in buildings that can use both is frustrating.
Finding a building with workers, replacing them with engineers, and then putting the workers in the new worker-only building (or vice-versa) becomes a chore.

Auto-pause options would be nice too. There have been a few times that I've just missed that a scout has arrived at a location or have accidentally left workers idle - and losing half a day of work to that can be a huge deal.

As I said though, I really enjoyed it overall - especially with such a narrow victory in the first scenario.
Though I did make an attempt at the second scenario, I'm thinking that I will likely either take a break from it, or replay the first one again using a different approach to see if I can do better.
Despite being a slow-paced game that you can pause at any moment, it really gets quite tense and stressful at times, and I may just be done with it for now.
But even if I only beat the first scenario, I'm satisfied with that for the money. I still put more time into it over the last week than many other games. I'd estimate 12-15 hours, as a lot of Steam's recorded time was idle.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Failed my first run at 18 days in. Food was a huge issue.

Am I wrong to think that research should be 24/7? Seems to be the general thinking here.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Picked this up the other day when I finally learned what the game was about. The title 'Frostpunk' had turned me off, I guess I imagined it was some action RPG, not the city / management sim it is. Wow, what a cool concept. Pun unintended, but appreciated.

I thought I had managed things pretty decently, except the second cold snap was too much and shut down my infirmaries, leading to a ton of deaths. I increased my generator range just after that (I thought, why not skip heaters?). I had mis-micromanaged a lot of things at that point already.

Well, it finally all came crashing down. I couldn't keep my coal supply up with the increased range and heat. I generally fumbled a good amount, but now I understand more the kind of things I'll have to deal with.

Don't think it's worth salvaging at this point, because I heard what the climax of scenario 1 is, and I know I'm not on the right path for that.

I think the game is real fun, but the world-concept is something I'll be dreaming of for a long time.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the first scenario. So great. Love the reward you get for finishing: (this is my city, no spoilers)

visvim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if anyone posted this but an endless survival mode is coming. Exactly what this game needed.

Additionally, another mode called 'endurance' is in the works. 11 Bit describes endurance mode as a direct response to mounting demand for an endless or sandbox mode, but in a Steam blog post, the studio said "it's gonna be our distinctive take on this feature." A new scenario called The Builders, said to be "the most substantial update for 2018," is also on its way, but 11 Bit is keeping details close to its chest for now.

Sauce

PJsprojects

Oct 30, 2017
England
Help! I got this game on the Microsoft store and can see its a very good game but are scouts glitchy?
My scouts mentioned finding a steal bridge which I found in a past play session(died) but this time the bridge location does not show on the map and even after sending scouts to uncovered locations and back to the city I have no bridge or new locations showing up.

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
I wish this OT wasn't dead. Almost done with the first campaign/scenario and it's feeling like my favorite game this year so far. The atmosphere is spot on, the sound design and audio is great, the tempo and tension has a lovely push and pull, and the whole moral quandries explored isometrically gives me heavy Black & White vibes. Endless mode will hopefully bring it a second round of attention, but for me I prefer the focus of a narrative campaign.

Azusa

Oct 25, 2017
The game is good but for me and maybe for most other players there is no replayability. Play once and move on. I have finished the main scenario and tried few others but its basically the same game with just a little variations.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
And to be honest, I'm fine with it being a 'play it once' game. It still gave me an amazing experience.

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
I bought the game last week-end and I had a great time. I learned how to play by doing all scenario in easy mode and then did them again in medium. I don't know if I want to try the survival mode, it seems brutal from video I saw on youtube.
This mix of survival and city building is very good. I'm impatient to have the next scenario.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Picked this up on sale a while ago but never installed it. We had our first snow this week and that inspired me to boot it up. Really excellent game. I fucked my first campaign because I didn't understand about gathering resources directly — thought I had to build a depot — but restarted after an hour and won my first "real" attempt.

The law tree is so smart. I went religious because fuck the police and I was thinking I'd take the more hopeful, peaceful path... I even felt like Faithkeepers was a bad idea, but eventually my people were clamoring for it and I gave in. Got a solid "but was it worth it?" win.

I love the "cemetery v. corpse pile" branch. Corpse piles sounds awful but the fact that you can later "salvage" that early ugly choice into bio-engineered organ transplants later is great.

I'll probably retry on the police path and commit to avoid becoming a fascist pig state.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
Endless mode was released today and looking forward to jumping back in. Played through the campaign a few weeks ago and was addicted doing so. Real fantastic game.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
  • Frostpunk solver over 1,4 million copies on PC
  • Development costs were recovered within 66 hours of launch
  • 43,8% of all players finished the main campaign
  • 59% of players chose the path of Faith
  • 2,9% of players failed in Serenity Mode

sweetvar26

Oct 26, 2017
Milky Way Galaxy
I just started playing this game today. It is hard. I'm enjoying it, built a city up to 300 citizens and I gave up. It was chaos and deaths are coming in.

Any tips? My main problem has been health, food and Londoners.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
I just started playing this game today. It is hard. I'm enjoying it, built a city up to 300 citizens and I gave up. It was chaos and deaths are coming in.

Any tips? My main problem has been health, food and Londoners.

Just finished the main campaign, it took me quite a few tries. For me, economy + research was key, as well as hoarding as much coal as possible in the earlier stages of the game (by shutting down the core during the day, for instance). And build automatons, you'll need them towards the end.

sweetvar26

Oct 26, 2017
Milky Way Galaxy
Just finished the main campaign, it took me quite a few tries. For me, economy + research was key, as well as hoarding as much coal as possible in the earlier stages of the game (by shutting down the core during the day, for instance). And build automatons, you'll need them towards the end.

I do not know if I'm.playinf the main campaign or not but it's one of the missions that were in the single player. I'm trying to hold off extreme weather protecting some seeds that are essential for life I believe?

Yeah I figured coal is something you are going to need no matter when and also faster research helps as well. So when you can afford, two workshops. Also the shift to automation helps tremendously because the mission I'm doing is based on it where my population is pretty much chilling while the machines are doing all the work.

Game is good. It is challenging. The premise is very interesting. I wish more people play it over here.

sweetvar26

Oct 26, 2017
Milky Way Galaxy
I just beat the campaign, enjoyed it. Would definitely buy a sequel/next base building game from the same developers.

It is sad to see this thread not move past a page. I wish more people could play this game.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Sorry to bump an old thread.
This game is currently £15 on the UK psn store which is a big discount, so I have picked it up .

Is it the sort of game where you learn as you go along or do I need to read up on anything. It looks awesome

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
First hour in and wow what a time sink. There's a lot to learn but it's really enjoyable so far. Trying to be the good guy when introducing laws but I'm sure there'll be a downside to that. Anyone else pick this up in the psn sale? Seems great

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Frostpunk will come to Game Pass on Thursday (9th of January) for Xbox One and (soon) to PC as well.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Not really sure this thread should be in hangouts?

Anywho, I think I'm about to lose. Which I guess is part of learning the game, much like Civ. I invested too many workers in to coal early on and not wood, then struggled to be able to invest in research which meant I missed a couple of promises I made about housing.

Totally loving the game though, surprised I haven't seen much more about it

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
This game is pretty awesome. Been playing it through Game Pass and stayed up way too late playing it. Now I'm all wired and can't sleep, lol. I have to say the console controls are really well done. Hopefully my base doesn't revolt (again -- I did my best)

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
This game is pretty awesome. Been playing it through Game Pass and stayed up way too late playing it. Now I'm all wired and can't sleep, lol. I have to say the console controls are really well done. Hopefully my base doesn't revolt (again -- I did my best)
Ooh great someone else playing it! This thread is dead, I've asked mods to move it back to gaming to pick up some more people but they haven't.
I am totally hooked too, it's one of those rare games where I am thinking about it when I'm not playing it, I have lost twice but on my 3rd run now and it's going well, on day 18 or so I think and temperature has plunged 😮

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
JoeNut I'm on my third play through too! 🤜🤛

Sunday is when I started playing and I lost five or six hours. My second time playing I did way worse, lol. I know people said don't google strategies but I did anyway. My biggest take away (non spoilers) is always stop the clock when things finish and right at the very beginning put a law in place.

Hope other people find this thread.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
JoeNut I'm on my third play through too! 🤜🤛

Sunday is when I started playing and I lost five or six hours. My second time playing I did way worse, lol. I know people said don't google strategies but I did anyway. My biggest take away (non spoilers) is always stop the clock when things finish and right at the very beginning put a law in place.

Hope other people find this thread.
Yeah it took me a couple playthroughs to realise laws are just as important as technology. The other important thing it doesn't tell you about is the pie chart button which shows you how effeciient everything is and if you are in a surplus/deficit on coal etc. Super useful and the tutorial never mentions it

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This came out in 2018? Damn. My backlog was insane... Anyways Im catching up on it after building my new PC and this one hit in November and I quit it in a rage after I was exiled from my city. I thought this was like Sim City or Anno. I didnt realize it was a damn roguelike. So I was furious at never being able to catch up on anything.

3 months later I fired it up last week and played the hell out of it and beat the campaign finally. This was a GREAT fucking game once I got my mind right to play it. The score is fantastic and the laws/choices and research trees and stuff is sublime. I really hope for a sequel or spiritual sequel, because Im not very interested in the endless mode. I just want another full campaign with the planned events (londoners/big freeze etc).

I was ecstatic when I got 3 workshops and had automatons on the 24/7 towards the end just EATING through my tech trees lol.

I did it without child labor, and without choosing that last option that was all glowy. But I did go the semi dictator path lol. I built prisons and a propaganda center but never sent out pamphlets as I never needed to.

I did laugh though I built those speakers that "encouraged" people to work, and at some point in the campaign someone vandalized it and wrote on it "Stop squawking all day!" I laughed for a good 10 minutes off of that alone. Such a great game.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
I think he/she meant in the fact there is a fail state and you have to start the game over. Learning from each death.

I think this game should be nicknamed Sleepkiller. Time just slips away when I play and I stay up way too late.

I'm still on my 3rd play through and not dead yet!

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think he/she meant in the fact there is a fail state and you have to start the game over. Learning from each death.

I think this game should be nicknamed Sleepkiller. Time just slips away when I play and I stay up way too late.

I'm still on my 3rd play through and not dead yet!
Ah I see. Yeah I have replayed both times but there are saves and even an auto save option. I've actually turned ahtosave on due to 2 crashes recently.
Agreed on the time! Half an hour goes by in the blink of an eye