• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
0Fp2LtE.png

DEVELOPER:11 Bit Studios
PLATFORM: PC
RELEASE: April 24th
GENRE: Survival RTS
PRICE: $29.99
STOREFRONTS: Windows, Steam, Humble Store and GOG

m0ZhNlA.gif

What is Frostpunk:
Frostpunk is a brand-new title from the creators of This War of Mine. It's a society survival game that asks what people are capable of when pushed to the brink of extinction. In an entirely frozen world, people develop steam-powered technology to oppose the overwhelming cold. The city's ruler has to manage both the citizens and the infrastructure they live in. The leader's tactical skills face challenges that will frequently question morality and the basic foundations of what we consider organized society. Optimization and resource management often clash with empathy and thoughtful decision-making. While city and society management will consume most of the ruler's time, at some point exploration of the outside world is necessary to understand its history and present state.
What decisions will you make to ensure the survival of your society? What will you do when pushed to the limit? And...

...who will you become in the process?

THE CITY MUST SURVIVE
Frostpunk is a society survival game where heat means life and every decision comes with a cost. You face the task of building the last city on Earth and securing the means necessary for your people to survive.

MAINTAIN HOPE
Survival is about hope and the will to live. Your ability to spark and maintain them both in your people will be a deciding factor in your success.

MAKE THE LAW
Society is a group of people who abide by the same rules and share similar beliefs. Establish laws that regulate the existence of your growing society. Decide on their working routine, healthcare, food provision and other crucial aspects of everyday life. Maintain their hope and contentment – the moral condition of your society is as important as securing the basic means to keep them fed and safe.

WEIGH UP YOUR CHOICES
Some of your decisions will seem small – like deciding the fate of a troubled citizen or meeting the demands of a newborn faction – but be aware that the sum of your doings can lead to unexpected results. Your people put their faith in you, but their devotion is not limitless. Leadership can be a burden.

DEVELOP NEW TECHNOLOGIES
Survival demands progress. React to current events, but don't forget about the long term and investing in development and technological progress. Providing a highly advanced infrastructure with self-powered automatons, airships and other technical wonders is difficult, but achievable. It all depends on your management and leadership skills.

EXPLORE THE FROSTLAND
While New London is your main focus, there is much more to the world than what lies within the limits of your city. Expeditions, while risky, can bring you valuable intel, precious supplies and grow your society's population. There may be people out there, and their fate lies solely in your hands.

SHAPE YOUR SOCIETY
If you reach a turning point, do not hesitate to determine the path of your people. Should you rule them with an iron fist... or show them a way of compassion and faith? Reach for extremes or try to find a fair balance. Whichever you choose, remember: there's no turning back.

GO BEYOND THE CAMPAIGN
The main story campaign can go different ways depending on your playstyle, but it is still not the only challenge to tackle. Frostpunk offers different scenarios and additional updates with new content will be added in the future.

W10Ap1E.gif

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM:

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: 3.2 GHz Dual Core Processor
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 660, Radeon R7 370 or equivalent with 2 GB of video RAM
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 8 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX compatible
Additional Notes: Please make sure that you have the latest VC package installed, and - if you're using Windows 7 or 8 - that you have the KB4019990 update applied.

RECOMMENDED:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: 3.2 GHz Quad Core Processor
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce 970, Radeon RX 580 or equivalent with 4GB of video RAM
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 8 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX compatible
Additional Notes: Please make sure that you have the latest VC package installed, and - if you're using Windows 7 or 8 - that you have the KB4019990 update applied.

Media:

Nfw5CTj.gif

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Great OT! I've played this game for about an hour, so far it's pretty chill.

Heard it's not very replayable but hey, for $15 in my country why not.

Weird tech problem though, it locks fps to 20 if I go windowed or borderless fullscreen and have OBS running, not cool, I hate using exclusive fullscreen :(

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was day one until I heard there is an ending, a 12 hour campaign with no endless mode.

Think I'll wait. Such a damn shame

Oct 25, 2017
Noir York City
I got really far in on my first try. The events are interesting to resolve and the causes match the effects in most situations. The city can be a little difficult to manage, visually, everything tends to look the same once the city reaches a certain size. But that's the buildings themselves give enough information at a glance to rectify.

If I could add anything, I wish I could construct buildings while the Heat Overlay was up. Placing Steam Hubs efficiently without it up can be tricky.

HOT TIP: Never stop scouting.

I was day one until I heard there is an ending, a 12 hour campaign with no endless mode.

Think I'll wait. Such a damn shame

I'll be honest, the ending make the game far more palatable for me. Things like Civ or Stellaris can consume me. A hard cap on a playthrough helps it be less of a 4X and more of a Resource Survival game. I really like the difference.

Of course, that's me. I get where you're coming from, too!

JoeBoy101

Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing and at the Main Menu I see a small child with this description...

Claire Desmond, 12, Working Child, Dreaming of Sun and Food

Goddamn, this thing is going to kill me.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How similar is frostpunk to this war of mine?

This war of mine did an amazing job on selling how awful and fatal is war for everyone, with some scenes that really make me question lots of things, but as a game, I found it mechanically terrible and tedious, so in the end I didn't played that much

But the idea of this game is interesting

JoeBoy101

Oct 25, 2017
How similar is frostpunk to this war of mine?

This war of mine did an amazing job on selling how awful and fatal is war for everyone, with some scenes that really make me question lots of things, but as a game, I found it mechanically terrible and tedious, so in the end I didn't played that much

But the idea of this game is interesting

From the PCGamer Review:

PCGamer said:
You'll be alerted from time to time of some grim events in your city. A child was found nearly frozen sitting next to the grave of his parent. A citizen committed suicide by leaping into the furnace. Someone pulling a double-shift worked himself to death. Sometimes there's nothing to do about it: it's just a little moment the game offers up to make you feel like absolute shit. (To be fair, someone occasionally thanks you for something, but kind words are quickly forgotten when an automaton accidentally crushes someone underfoot.) Sometimes you can make a choice: between forcing an exhausted worker to continue or letting him rest, or choosing to believe (or not) a citizen asking for extra food who may not actually have a hungry child. You're told in advance how your choices may result in a small bump to discontent or hope in either direction, but the reality is that you'll often have to make everyone unhappy to keep them alive. And you'll make more meaningful choices, and more difficult ones, by passing laws.

I've already had to decide on Laws of whether to extend work hours to 12 hours, only allow soup to be served at the Cookhouse, and instituting child labor. All seems like draconian rules, except that the survival aspect is in the extreme as you get pushed early with sick, starving, freezing people. Better to build tents? Or save the wood to build a medical outpost to treat the ill? Its already impressive that instead of offering bad and worse, like many games do when going for a grittier tone, this offers worse and worse. Just a matter of what you will deal with and what you won't.

JarlRaven

Nov 8, 2017
I'm very intrigued by this kinda blew my gaming budget for the month last week but have bookmarked this game for later the premise outlined by the OP is fascinating to me I'm not convinced how well it translates to gameplay

NeptunePirate

Nov 1, 2017
This game looks amazing and right up my alley. The only bummer is that my Video RAM is half of what it needs to be. :(

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The game is fantastic.
The music, the sound and the graphics are top notch.
Also the game makes you FEEL cold and it's tense as hell because at all times something is gnawing away at the safety of your city.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
The heating homes thing is fucking annoying asdfkjak;lsdfl;anvio;n;owsadfglkhjasl;dfg

Finally managed to make a few homes liveable only to get hit by a cold snap (-60c days) on the last day. Cold snap also meant 1/4 of my population got hit with severe frostbite without anywhere near enough room in my infirmaries. Had over 120 people needing attention and not working. Downward spiral from there.

Unlocked the next scenario at least...

Azusa

Oct 25, 2017
Replace them all with automations. I find sending all workers to outposts a better solution.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
So, my impressions after a couple of hours are really positive. It's a beautiful game with great pacing and a lot of difficult choices to make while you try to keep your city warm and citizens fed. Probably little to no replayability, but it's fine considering the price (and I also like games I can actually finish in a reasonable amount of time lol).

If you know or learn Russian (or just want to help a small content creator haha), check out my video here.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So, sadly once you look a bit at the research and such it becomes very apparent what is good and bad and what should be rushed and you can make the game incredibly easy very quickly and then coast to victory, at least in the main scenario.
A little sad really, but kinda understandable.

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
Ah, there is the OT, good work. Was wondering why there wasnt a thread.

So this game looks like a mix of "Banished" and "Thea", Banished for unforgiving survival aspect, townbuilding and pausable real time running, Thea for the (random generated?) events and storytelling. Setting is really interesting. Looks beautiful too. Will check Calibros video later as yt is locked for me currently.

Im more into tbs, so Battletech was my first choice for the moment, but this one is saved for later.

Azusa

Oct 25, 2017
Its not random its a story driven city building. There is no reason to replay the scenario again. Maybe its worth to replay it if you want to try 2nd set of laws or finish it on hard difficulty.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mmmh, a bit too easy. Finished the main scenario on the first go.
Gameplaywise, this is basically Banished, With Research.
Atmospherically, it's a phenomenal game. UI, sound, visuals, everything is top notch.
(game is laggy as all hell on 3x speed, though.)

Oct 27, 2017
London
Atmosphere is amazing. Made my city into a totalitarian city where there are propaganda speakers next to workplaces and coal miners work long hours. Worth it for the relatively low price (though it could cost less given for now at least it is a story based scenario city builder and survival simulator). Once you figure out what you're doing it's kinda easy to survive the coId however. I would wholeheartedly recommend the game if they added custom scenario editors where you can literally make any scenario you want, made events much more random and harder to survive. Also, needs a longer game mode with added research and content.

Optinator

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious to see general reactions here as I am working on something similar (city-building simulator focusing on a finite story/campaign). The critical consensus is looking pretty good so far..

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked the Dishonored vibe from the totalitarian city, the atmosphere and music.

I had a blast playing the main scenario, survived on my first try and the final days were very dramatic I liked that.

Azusa

Oct 25, 2017
I have lost my first city.
I have tried to play on hardest difficulty and that mega cold wave killed my city.

ph1l0z0ph3r

Oct 27, 2017
Game is hard even on easy for me. I was doing decently till like Day 30 and the temperature drop is just insane. I think my biggest mistake is just taking in too many people. Have over 400 in the city now and alot are homeless just because I don't have the wood to build for them

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love strategy games, but I need time to think and plan my moves. I really dislike the real time aspect of this. Probably a no buy for that reason.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
After a couple of retries I finally won my first city. Went actually surprisingly well (statistically that is.)

500+ population, only around 50 dead in total, a massive supply of coal still available (around 18000), still had around 1400 raw food available to cook and a ton of tech researched, absolutely no discontent and full hope.

I went pretty heavy on the religious theocracy path though, so daily beatings and prayers whenever available.

The city however survived! Was morally bankrupt by the end of it though.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I love strategy games, but I need time to think and plan my moves. I really dislike the real time aspect of this. Probably a no buy for that reason.
you can literally pause the game at any time and it has 3 speed settings you switch between with two buttons.
the game in no way shape or form needs you to do anything quickly, ever.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
I really enjoyed it, great Design and idea behind it.

Still, I have to admit, that it's a bit short. You can beat the main mission and two scenarios in about 8 hours. Sure you can play them again on hard or easy if you prefer and choose some other minor options, but that's it pretty much.

It also lacks a bit depth for me: Yes, you unlock 24 hour shifts and food additions and child labor as the first steps, but there is nothing major following up and the research is basically: Update building x, heating, etc.

I really like the different approach to each scenario though.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Are there any known bugs? I started a new game and im at day 43 and im still waiting for the third refugee wave. Its been ages since the last one..

Also I dont get this. If I want to start a new game (since it seems my current one has to be bugged because nothing happens) do I just select new scenario "a new home?" Is everyone of these scenarios supposed to happen? This is very bad design in my opinion.

Last edited:

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, this game is difficult.
For real. It feels like an RTS on a high difficulty lol. Like if you don't tech into certain things at the right time you're absolutely fucked. It's giving me the experience and depth I wanted from Surviving Mars but with actual consequences and moral questions. It's a lovely game that I'll never see the mid-late game of and I'm not even mad.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad the game is selling well.

I replayed it with the religion route on normal.

It was easier than the totalitarian city, only 1 death (radical treatment is the way to go and I never used the emergency 24h shift), 100% of the map explored, 100% of people rescued, automatons everywhere, londoners down to 0 and 90% of the game with full hope and 0 discontent.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of surprised this thread is so dead, especially compared to how hot the Battletech one is. Expected the reverse, to be honest.

Oct 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, Mi
I feel like despite its initial success, this thread is not moving fast due to the devs being stingy with review copies. The review thread has like 5 outlets maybe.

Ppl were still thirsty after Surviving Mars.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I was gifted this and I had no idea what it was, wow it's so slick and fun. It's so brutal though lol, I got kicked out my first run, I mess up my coal reserve for like 2 days and that led to another issue and so on, shit hit the fan very quickly.

My only problem with the game is the music, they needed some variety.