• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think of Frozen 2?

• I loved it!

Votes: 181 30.7%
  • I liked it

Votes: 175 29.7%
  • I thought it was okay

Votes: 170 28.9%
  • I didn't like it

Votes: 45 7.6%
  • I hated it

Votes: 18 3.1%

• Total voters

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So 2 things about this movie (Spoilers)

Did a homeopathic believer wrote the script? Because water has memory was waaaaay too relevant in the plot of this film

"Hi, I'm Kristoph. Let me interrupt this movie for an 80's power ballad then never talk about it again." (It was awesome and hilarious but also out of nowhere)

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Watched it with my brothers at Disney Springs. We all loved it.

I really want a figure/doll of (as my brothers called it) Gandalf the White Elsa with the Nokk.

Last edited:

hurroocane

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The animation quality completely blew my mind. The water is just mind-numbingly beautiful. I winced at the price for the Dolby Cinema version but holy shit it was worth it.

The Kristoff song was absolutely hilarious.

Maybe controversial opinion I dunno? - I think Show Yourself topped Let It Go. Can't get the song out of my head right now.

Did a homeopathic believer wrote the script? Because water has memory was waaaaay too relevant in the plot of this film

Yeeaahh that ... kinda stands out a bit doesn't it.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Visually I thought the movie was a stunner on all fronts. Even nerdier aspects like the shot composition I thought were consistently a knockout. I also really dug the instrumentation of the songs, the way Gale is musically personified in When Im Older is particularly really fun!!

After that my enthusiasm tapers off. Lyrically the songs were just alright, but I wasnt a big fan of the original songs either so it makes sense Im not super vibing with the ones in the sequel. The narrative felt more like I was watching a by the numbers sequel by one of the other studios. Major characters from the original return because theyre the major characters but they dont have anything to do so theyre relegated to paper thin C-plots. Kristoff's song is funny, but other than that his presence in the movie felt like when you watch Ice Age 5 and its clear they have no idea what to do with half the characters anymore so you watch them act out generic sitcom plots. I also felt like the movie just completely glosses over the people trapped in the forest despite needing to free them and righting the wrongs of their past being the main thrust of the plot. It all hangs just a little too loosely.

Not to say there werent standout scenes. Kristoff's song as mentioned is one, Olaf recapping the first movie was another, and the scene where Elsa crosses the dark sea is a classic. Overall the movie was just okay, but the brief flashes where it went above that made it easy to sit through.

Last edited:

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Animation was amazing.

And why is it that all theories on this movie were so much better then what we got in terms of the story.

Still loved the movie, but the whole work up in the beginning for this ending felt anti-climatic. And I have so many questions on why things happened the way they did because of how awful the conclusion was.

Also I feel cheated Elsa didn't get to wrangle up the Earth elementals (at least she commented on doing it I guess)?

Olaf recap, Kristoff Song (hillarious), Elsa crossing Dark Sea, and just Rider. LOL Just Rider. I felt like all the forest people were cut very short. But I have a feeling future shorts will showcase them more.

Last edited:

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Conflicted. I'll post my full thoughts later, but generally I liked it.

I will say that I actually like the PatD version of Into the Unknown better than the movie version, and that never happens for me in these kinds of the movies.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Saw it today. Kids loved it. Too many songs one after the other without much story to go anywhere, but I liked it overall. 80's Kristoff was the highlight for me.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I love Kristen Bell's take on Kristoff here

He's not the hero of the story, nor does he try to be, he's just there to support the woman he loves and his friends, I thought he had a great part in this one.

One thing I loved is how organic and real some of the reactions felt especially Anna when she sees Elsa returning and how she's realises Kristoff is proposing.

Last edited:

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
Insane how uncompelling the plot was for this. If Disney forced them to make a third film I can't imagine how distraught the story people would be.

I enjoyed the songs though, especially how many of them there were and how well-distributed they were this time.

The end credits scene makes a third movie very easy to do/and gives them an out and pick up right after the first frozen if they wanted which I liked because i didn't really like the story in this one IMO. The graphics and songs were really well done though.

Last edited:

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Am I the only one who found the whole Arendellians vs forest people...weird? Like these two seemingly tiny groups of people couldn't work out their differences across 34 years, yet were able to mostly instantly forgive and forget once the protagonists strolled in?

I enjoyed the movie, but it definitely felt undercooked in the setting and story department.

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
Also, didn't this movie push that we would find out Elsa's origins/how she got her powers? what happened to that? because i sure didn't understand that point more from the movie i saw.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I'm not crying YOUR CRYING! 😭😭😭😭😭

it was fantastic seriously amazing songs and loved Olaf even more in this just super funny.
It looked amazing and totally insane GFX.
Sure story seemed little low stacks and some weird rushed parts.
But dd not matter I LOVED IT :D

9MBEXfE.jpg

Dec 25, 2018
Saw it.

Meh, songs weren't so good. Was like a belt fest, but I can't even remember any of the songs except
"When I'm older", can't really remember any others . Kristoff one was great.
Listening to them sing their unimpressive high E's was kinda annoying. They don't feel like satisfying notes, almost like having an alto 2 sing it. Feels extremely forced. I'm a bass baritone, it's like telling a bass to sing an A4 in chest, it will likely sound very forced.

Plot was good though, Olaf was my favorite.
This movie also kills the Tarzan theory that the creators said were tied to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it was great!

I don't think I'd say it was better than the first but I think the ambition on display was great. It was funny (Olaf's recap of the first movie killed me) and the animation was gorgeous. As I suspected, I liked the music a lot more in context. In particular I would say the Show Yourself sequence is probably one of the best musical scenes in any Disney movie. I cried when Iduna was singing to her and Elsa was crying because I lost my mom too and that stuff always gets me choked up. Overall it was good and I hope to see it again soon.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also Elsa having a single conversation with Honeymaren and then deciding to bust out the U-haul and move to the forest is the biggest gay energy

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Saw it this morning in Dolby Cinema. The later showings were pretty full with some almost sold out, but the Friday matinee was mostly empty (easy to understand why.) Glad I got in before the rush.

This is a film that is in no way trying to appeal to me, and I didn't have much affinity for the first one either, but I do love Disney stuff on the whole and wanted to see this since I know it's going to be talked about a lot, both online and in my family.

I really wasn't sure how I felt about the songs the first go. I wish they grabbed me instantly but other than Lost in the Woods I've had to relisten to them to better process how I feel. There are several solid ones though and I'm sure the core audience is going to love them. Oh, no that note I had no idea the guy from Mindhunter voiced Kristoff. Super impressed by that, lol. But I still think Idina is the best singer of the bunch.

Everything about the film's production is super solid though, no real complaints. Will be interesting to see how it does compared to the first film.

I hope I have more fun with Onward next year as it's more up my alley.

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
I loved it muchhhh more than I liked the first. The music was night and day better than the first. It had a much more Broadway feel to it.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Overall I really enjoyed it, but it barely felt like there was a climax. It went from climax -> resolution in about 0.5 seconds.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Is this the most action packed disney animated movie? I feel like I was watching Kingdom Hearts at some point. It is pretty awesome. The only nitpick is lacking central villain to fight at the end.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I LOVED the movie. I knew based on impressions from people in the media whose opinions aligned with mine that I would like it more than the first, but it really is better in so many ways imo. It was funnier, had songs as great as the first (with Show Yourself and Into the Unknown being my two favorite out of both movies), advanced the lore of the world, had some great callbacks and heavy tension, and a lot more.

My main criticism would be the fact that a lot of characters have little to no impact. This really felt like a movie about Elsa and Anna and not much of anyone else. Fitting considering the core values of the film, but ultimately it is weaker compared to the first movie in this regard. This was especially apparent with the new characters. I don't think they even called Bruni by name in the movie, and Honeymaren/Ryder were nigh nonexistent. The ending also felt slightly anticlimactic and abrupt in a lot of ways, but overall I still find it to be a great movie.

Can't wait to rewatch it for a second, third, and fourth time lol

As my younger brother put it, "Frozen II has the realest villain ever...the past."
This is a good point. A criticism I've seen used against the movie is the lack of the villain, but a villain couldn't be more clear. It's a story presented initially as man versus nature, but ultimately it's the past misdoings that are the cause of the discourse throughout the movie. And a core value of the movie is reconciling with the past in order to move towards the future. Lot of good messages to dissect there.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I just got out of seeing it with a group of friends. Some of whom are "friends" with Anna and Elsa at Disney World so my opinion is probably biased but I thought it was incredible.

The music, the jokes, the plot. Everything was cranked up for this sequel and it went all out. I can't wait to see it again.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it was great!

I don't think I'd say it was better than the first but I think the ambition on display was great. It was funny (Olaf's recap of the first movie killed me) and the animation was gorgeous. As I suspected, I liked the music a lot more in context. In particular I would say the Show Yourself sequence is probably one of the best musical scenes in any Disney movie. I cried when Iduna was singing to her and Elsa was crying because I lost my mom too and that stuff always gets me choked up. Overall it was good and I hope to see it again soon.

Glad you liked it!

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Am I the only one who found the whole Arendellians vs forest people...weird? Like these two seemingly tiny groups of people couldn't work out their differences across 34 years, yet were able to mostly instantly forgive and forget once the protagonists strolled in?

I enjoyed the movie, but it definitely felt undercooked in the setting and story department.
That whole plot and those characters are so woefully underdeveloped. You'd think there would be more pushback in the climax with the captain guy trying to stop Anna from destroying the dam. Like he doesn't have to be sneering villain, but these are people who have been operating on the last orders for 34 years for Erendel. You'd think it would be a bigger moment of emotional crisis than just a two sentence exchange with Anna. Or even if the Captain gets brought around, if other soldiers, exhausted from devoting their lives to Erendel, are the ones desperately trying to stop Anna and the Captain tries holding them back.

And again, the Northundra people get kinda the short shrift in the ending.

FenninRo

alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2019
Saw this yesterday with my kids, who love the original and frequently watch it, and it was... just kind of all right? I liked it well enough and there were some amazing visuals, but the plot felt a bit convoluted and meandering in places and none of the songs felt catchy to me. The only part of any tune that stuck in my head was the oh-oh-oooh-oh bit from Into the Unknown. The music overall felt more complex, while I can't really describe it well, in a way felt more like tracks you might find on some artists album than the kind of catchy stuff you expect from Disney films. Combined with the less straightforward plot, and I get the overall impression that this was more geared towards adult fans of Frozen than kids.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My kiddos loved it and laughed at all the jokes. I agree with a few others about the story being a bit thin and lacking in places. I voted I liked it, it was fine for a sequel. Best song is definitely 'Lost in the Woods'!

Dec 2, 2017
Felt a little short I thought. Like there was a beat missing between Anna singing the right Thing song and the end of the movie.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that was a true 10. the beginning was a little weak and had me low key worried but from the salamander on its all killer no filler

lost in the woods being where it is is like when you do a karaoke song before playing the end of a yakuza game lol

jimmytutron

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely loved it. Visually stunning, the entire Show Yourself sequence was just... wow... and our entire theater was non stop laughing during Olaf's recap. There was a little girl sitting next to us and her laugh was just so infectious it was adorable. I loved the music too, though it's not as poppy or catchy as the first movie.

I do agree with the pacing though, it coulda used at least 20 more minutes, the ending was super rushed and they tied everything up a little too cleanly.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
Thought the animation was great and I loved "Into the Unknown". All of Elsa's superhero moments were awesome.

It did feel really dramatically inert though. Definitely felt like it needed to be a two hour movie with the amount of story they were covering.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I went in with tempered expectations and ended up liking it better than the first. It still had the same problem of terrible song pacing and superfluous tracks, but I liked settling in for a more straightforward and colorful adventure. No bullshit twists the film hopes impresses you, which made for a more solid film.

I'm also leaning in to the message that the way to peace is for those who are here today to step up and address the pillars of colonialism that continue to cause suffering, even if they personally had nothing to do with the conflicts of the past. Anna doesn't go all "sins of my forefathers" on the natives. She fucking destroys the dam and is willing to let Arendell sink for it.

She a real fucking ally.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I went in with tempered expectations and ended up liking it better than the first. It still had the same problem of terrible song pacing and superfluous tracks, but I liked settling in for a more straightforward and colorful adventure. No bullshit twists the film hopes impresses you, which made for a more solid film.

I'm also leaning in to the message that the way to peace is for those who are here today to step up and address the pillars of colonialism that continue to cause suffering, even if they personally had nothing to do with the conflicts of the past. Anna doesn't go all "sins of my forefathers" on the natives. She fucking destroys the dam and is willing to let Arendell sink for it.

She a real fucking ally.
Yeah, I really appreciated that they went all in on the 'fuck that shit' about their grandfather. Torn on if there should've been a more like teaching moment or speech about the situation, would've really worked on some kids, but also probably would've made the movie pretty preachy, maybe I should just trust that kids can absorb that shit regardless. Either way it was cool to see.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The story was very weak in this one. The characters are great and play off each other well, and Olaf was a standout highlight in this after being a little grating in the first. But the plot just sort of happened around them and didn't really give much time for anything to breathe and resonate more. Definitely would put it at the bottom of Disney Animation's output this decade, which is not an insult, because their 2010s were incredible.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like that they didn't do Olaf dirty just because he's a really popular merchandise character. They gave him an arc and everything.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Kristoff stole the show.
Movie was good but not iconic like part 1.
But that's almost an impossible task to surmount.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it with the family and we all loved it. I thought it was better than the first.

My son was singing Let it Go when the end credits rolled, he just saw the first one a week ago.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Great Sequel! Don't know how Disney did it! They even managed to create new memorable songs!

Incoming inevitable Frozen 3.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017

She a real fucking ally.

Disney has come a long way since "both sides are the same" Pocahontas.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Loved it. Though I guess I thought Elsa and Honeymaren were... Nah, that would never happen. :/ I was expecting more from a friend who was telling me it was "obvious"

To be honest, when they got to the fog, I had major flashbacks to the beginning area of Demon's Souls, though thankfully they didn't end up like Boletaria.

I also liked the Wheezer cover version of that song. Lol, and I don't particularly like them :D

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's straight-up a better film than the first, with better music almost across the board.

No self-conscious subverting of expectations, or navel-gazing about how problematic the classic Disney tropes are- just a good story, well-told. For modern WDAS, that's damn-near revolutionary. Hopefully the horrors of Wreck-It Ralph 2 are WELL in the rear-view mirror.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
That's straight-up a better film than the first, with better music almost across the board.

No self-conscious subverting of expectations, or navel-gazing about how problematic the classic Disney tropes are- just a good story, well-told. For modern WDAS, that's damn-near revolutionary. Hopefully the horrors of Wreck-It Ralph 2 are WELL in the rear-view mirror.

Remember, Disney Animation has a new Studio Head in the form of Jennifer Lee (who also co-directed and wrote this film).

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney and Pixar start to have more changes/deviations from each other.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Amazingly enough I had the first 2 on my mind already for this.

The other two I had for it were this.

cerebro-xmen.png

hqdefault.jpg

Anyone really enjoyed this one, all the songs in this one are great (No clunkers like Fixer Upper this time), Anna is a lot more enjoyable in this film than she was in the first one I found. Elsa get's some gorgeous scenes and the animation really shines with her ice powers (espicially on the ship, storming the dark waters and the whole Show Yourself sequence). Olaf is hilarious (Stick around for the post-credits stinger by the way. I was the only person to do so in my screening and the reward was great). And Kristoph's song is brilliant (Especially when the Power Chords kick in)

If I had issues, pacing I say? The opening feels slow to start and also maybe laden with foreshadowing, maybe a bit too much foreshadowing. And the ending does feel a little on the fast end. The new characters didn't really get too much time to stand out (Did the Fire Iguana get a name?) and I sorta wished it commited to some of the bolder choices it was making. Well, it committed to one of them at least.

Highly recommended this one.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just got home. That was really great. I love the richness it brought to the lore. I loved that the song of the mystical northerners was in Frozen 1 from the very start, during the studio logos and everything. In fact, this movie was so good it made the first one better.

And as far as tech achievement goes, there were parts of this that were just insane.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just got home. That was really great. I love the richness it brought to the lore. I loved that the song of the mystical northerners was in Frozen 1 from the very start, during the studio logos and everything. In fact, this movie was so good it made the first one better.

And as far as tech achievement goes, there were parts of this that were just insane.

Since the first movie came out I've loved the overture with the chanting, safe to say I loved it when the villagers started to sing it in this one

Really hope this smashes it at the box office