• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What did you think of Frozen 2?

• I loved it!

Votes: 181 30.7%
  • I liked it

Votes: 175 29.7%
  • I thought it was okay

Votes: 170 28.9%
  • I didn't like it

Votes: 45 7.6%
  • I hated it

Votes: 18 3.1%

• Total voters

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you're all sandbagging the amazing spectacle that was Kristoff's power ballad. It was perfect. The piano, the sick guitar riffs, effects, the backup vocals, everything.

She didn't know what she was looking for. That would've required her to run all over the damn forest freezing shit to find the appropriate memory water. The river/glacier was a nexus of all the memory water. It's also clear that the memories contained within that glacier are a lot more solid and lengthy than the slivers of time that she pulled out of the forest and the ship. As for Anna being exactly where she needed to be, she really wasn't: Elsa shot that magic message before she died and it found its way to Anna, it didn't head straight for that cave at random. They technically could've followed her if Elsa attached a rope from the ice death canoe to the horse. The primary issue with her getting there was that the water horse hated visitors and made the seas difficult to traverse. They go calm after she tames it.

Anna actually being at the glacier would've been awful, though, because then she wouldn't have been able to get back and destroy the dam. So in that sense she was where she needed to be.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I feel like you're all sandbagging the amazing spectacle that was Kristoff's power ballad. It was perfect. The piano, the sick guitar riffs, effects, the backup vocals, everything.

She didn't know what she was looking for. That would've required her to run all over the damn forest freezing shit to find the appropriate memory water. The river/glacier was a nexus of all the memory water. It's also clear that the memories contained within that glacier are a lot more solid and lengthy than the slivers of time that she pulled out of the forest and the ship. As for Anna being exactly where she needed to be, she really wasn't: Elsa shot that magic message before she died and it found its way to Anna, it didn't head straight for that cave at random. They technically could've followed her if Elsa attached a rope from the ice death canoe to the horse. The primary issue with her getting there was that the water horse hated visitors and made the seas difficult to traverse. They go calm after she tames it.

Oh, I know the ice sculpture was sent specifically to Anna, I meant that she happened to be right next to the rock monsters and within running distance to the dam with Kristoff and Sven getting picked up along the way, so in that sense she was where she needed to be instead of all the way up on the banks of the north river.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Probably, it wouldn't be the first movie that got neutered thanks to executive meddling. Anyway what matters was that it hit the emotional high points effectively.

I actually thought her envisioned direction of the movie was entirely wrong. The whole thing about the original Frozen was that it subverted the usual Princess movie emphasis on romantic bonds, instead opting to play up on the familial bond between the sisters. The natural direction of the sequel should have been to explore the bonds with their parents - one of my main takeaways was that Anna was cheated, she only got to hear things thirdhand at best, while Elsa got filled in on backstory at Ahtohallen and did that whole call-and-response with Iduna.

The spirits should have left as an ambiguous meta-enemy in the film, which would then be a (wo)man versus nature conflict.
The writers had a somewhat different version of the story where Arendelle actually gets destroyed. Characters were actually developed, and Anna had a purpose, a vision, and growth. But Disney needs to sell toys. This probably went thorough so many cuts and rewrites that it is amazing that the end product is still so entertaining the way it is, whilst still making a little bit of sense.
I don't understand why a good story would go in the way of making toys its not like there is anything new besides the water horse, the northern tribe and a new dress everything else is the same if anything the writting is the weak part i can't imagine Disney executives saying no to their golden goose

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it last night.
Really liked it.
Liked it more than the first one, which was more of an "its ok" movie for me.

moronica

Oct 28, 2017
"Into the Unknown" sequence has been uploaded. Hopefully "Show Yourself" comes sometime soon.

Nah, I don't think Disney wants to release a major spoiler sequence while it's still playing in theatres. I would watch it until it burned into my screen though.

One thing that is only evident on repeat viewings is that when Agnarr finishes telling his story, little Anna says she loves whoever rescued him. Iduna simply smiles knowingly and covers Anna's head with her shawl, which I thought was a nice touch.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Looks like I'm "that guy" who prefers the original over this. I guess I prefer Anna over Elsa, and seeing as the original Frozen was designed with Anna as the protagonist, her adventure and character pathos is just more enjoyable's than Elsa's.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like I'm "that guy" who prefers the original over this. I guess I prefer Anna over Elsa, and seeing as the original Frozen was designed with Anna as the protagonist, her adventure and character pathos is just more enjoyable's than Elsa's.
Also prefer the original. Far stronger theme, overall better songs and had more purpose for the side characters. 2 isn't a bad sequel though.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Conversation between me and my best friend walking out of the theater went like this:

"So I don't get what she was, exactly."
"She was the Avatar."
"You know, I didn't get it initially but when you said that, everything made sense."
"She's the bridge between worlds."

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Best Disney character?

Wl3qDkb.jpg

Best Disney character!

theDidact

Oct 25, 2017
This was honestly an awful movie, gorgeous visuals and unexpected boy band music video aside.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I do question the tactical thinking of a King who decided that, in order to defeat what looked like a much less militarily sophisticated people, the best move was to build a dam for his enemies, on their land, such that if the dam were destroyed, it would wipe his own entire kingdom off the face of the Earth. He basically built an ICBM for the Northuldra, designed it so it could only hit Arendelle, and gave the launch codes to the Northuldra. Hell, if his plan works, it actually gives the Northuldra an incentive to fire the missile, too!

Maybe their grandpa was just the Mad King Aerys Targaryen?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I do question the tactical thinking of a King who decided that, in order to defeat what looked like a much less militarily sophisticated people, the best move was to build a dam for his enemies, on their land, such that if the dam were destroyed, it would wipe his own entire kingdom off the face of the Earth. He basically built an ICBM for the Northuldra, designed it so it could only hit Arendelle, and gave the launch codes to the Northuldra. Hell, if his plan works, it actually gives the Northuldra an incentive to fire the missile, too!

Maybe their grandpa was just the Mad King Aerys Targaryen?

I dunno, after decades the enemies couldn't even defeat five aging guards.

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wanted to love it I really did but this film is just 'your kids will want everything!!' and by the time Elsa got a new costume I was pretty confident that this film exists just to sell merch. Toy Story 2 it ain't.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, after decades the enemies couldn't even defeat five aging guards.
It's implied that they stopped fighting when the fog rolled in, at least for the most part.

Even then, I agree with the other poster. It was a very, very stupid plan. It basically relied on the idea that the dam would destroy an entire ecosystem before anyone, including the spirits, realized that the dam was destroying the ecosystem, and the backup plan was to murder the elder in the middle of a fucking party, but also if the dam breaks your entire kingdom gets wiped out. Hope those rock giants don't catch on...you know, the ones who at the time were friends with the people you were trying to kill

Reminds me of The Mummy where Imhotep gets a harsh-ass punishment but if someone reads from this book he gets world-ending superpowers and immortality

moronica

Oct 28, 2017
It's implied that they stopped fighting when the fog rolled in, at least for the most part.

Even then, I agree with the other poster. It was a very, very stupid plan. It basically relied on the idea that the dam would destroy an entire ecosystem before anyone, including the spirits, realized that the dam was destroying the ecosystem, and the backup plan was to murder the elder in the middle of a fucking party, but also if the dam breaks your entire kingdom gets wiped out. Hope those rock giants don't catch on...you know, the ones who at the time were friends with the people you were trying to kill

Reminds me of The Mummy where Imhotep gets a harsh-ass punishment but if someone reads from this book he gets world-ending superpowers and immortality

The whole backstory with the grandfather was a really ham fisted attempt at social commentary. Trying to spin an Aesop just doesn't work - I think someone earlier pointed out that given all the troubles that Elsa's powers have caused, they seem more like a punishment for her grandfather's sins, rather than a reward for the love between her parents.

Who else has replayed show yourself on YouTube a million times already.

Me, good lord. The video has over 6 million views, I'm singlehandedly responsible for like 15% of them.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Who else has replayed show yourself on YouTube a million times already.

XgestUZ.jpg

At the moment I'm on listen number 1,533,890. Playing it at full volume with headphones on is a religious experience.

"Show Yourself" gets played the most, but the whole soundtrack is fantastic. I think as more time passes more people will realise that this truly is one of the greatest, most well rounded soundtracks Disney has ever put out.

I mean even Olaf's song is amazing thanks to those awesome instrumentals. "Some Things Never Change" is the weakest song and yet it still sits firmly in the good category.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. It's not even really clear why the dam screwed with the spiritual ecosystem so much, or how their grandfather knew that. It was an enormous gamble to try and destroy a people that, as far as I can tell, the Arendelle army could've just wiped out anyway. The cause of this whole spiritual imbalance thing that motivates the entire plot of the movie is super convoluted, and then the solution is to sing to the ice queen hundreds of miles away, and pray that she knows enough about the legends to know what to do. I only saw the movie once, maybe I missed something in the lore, because I'm trying to reconstruct it in my head and getting a lot of questions

I also thought the wall of mist surrounding the enchanted forest would be more of an obstacle than it ended up being.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. It's not even really clear why the dam screwed with the spiritual ecosystem so much, or how their grandfather knew that. It was an enormous gamble to try and destroy a people that, as far as I can tell, the Arendelle army could've just wiped out anyway. The cause of this whole spiritual imbalance thing that motivates the entire plot of the movie is super convoluted, and then the solution is to sing to the ice queen hundreds of miles away, and pray that she knows enough about the legends to know what to do. I only saw the movie once, maybe I missed something in the lore, because I'm trying to reconstruct it in my head and getting a lot of questions

I also thought the wall of mist surrounding the enchanted forest would be more of an obstacle than it ended up being.
I think the idea was that backing up the river and diverting the flow was messing up the local wildlife, and the reason they opted for this instead of a straightfoward invasion was because they feared Captain Planet

#fifthelementisheart

moronica

Oct 28, 2017
Oh good lord, 'Get This Right' sounds like a weirdly cool easy mix version of Thriller which is crazy awesome!

Also, Elsa's verse in 'Some Things Never Change' sounds strangely reminiscent of Streets of London.

Last edited:

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Saw it last night and was really taken aback by how ambitious the theme was. Elsa & Anna: Decolonizers is not what I was expecting at all, but I'm glad I got it. The structure of the movie wasn't as tight as the first one, but sometimes a messy movie that's trying to tackle something much larger than just a character arc or three is equally satisfying.

I'm looking forward to seeing it 30 more times with my girls and sinking my teeth into it some more.

Overall, I'm quite pleased.

I made an FB post about it that I'll copy/paste here: (some repetition)

Watched Frozen II today and was totally caught off guard by its contemporary political relevance, especially its focus on colonization and decolonization. While watching, I wasn't sure how to feel about the representation of the native people in the movie, knowing Disney's incredibly problematic history of depicting minority groups and characters.

I've learned that the filmmakers worked closely with members of the Sami people, the native Nordic group depicted in the movie, to get the representation right, and that those who worked closely with Disney were very happy with their representation. (more here: https://nowtoronto.com/movies/features/disney-frozen-2-indigenous-culture-sami/)

The song at the beginning of both Frozen movies, "Vuelie," is done in the Sami singing style known as joike. Disney is even releasing a version of Frozen II in the main Sami language.

It's encouraging to see a company that basically has a license to print money not solely creating sugary disposable products made for the sole purpose of making more of said money.

It's not a perfect movie, as its treatment of these issues is sometimes messy, but I can't fault the ambition. If it gets more people talking about its more ambitious themes, then mission accomplished. Nevermind that it made me cry like 3-4 times.

Can't wait to watch it 30 more times with the girls.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was marginally better than the first, but still just OK.

I thought the jump toward the mysticism was bold but ultimately took time away from any interesting inter-personal conflict. Ana wanting to help while her superhero sister says no, Kristoff too nervous to pop the question, and Olaf being ???, with a Hatfield and McCoy backdrop wasn't exactly interesting. I didn't love the story of the original either but the drama felt a lot more believable.

Random: Ana's sad song reminded me of My Lullaby from Lion King 2

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Elsa pushing Anna and Olaf down to their potential deaths in an ice canoe was the main character detail I had a problem with.

Also, how did the general maintain his facial hair and cleanliness of his clothes after all those years? And he stayed in the same shape! LOL

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
I got to Frozen late (only watched it for the first time a couple of years ago) and I thought it was a pretty average film. Let it Go is fantastic but apart from that I thought the film didn't live up to the hype at all.

Frozen 2, meanwhile, is really great. Its better than the first film in every single way, and I love the songs so much. Lost in the Woods had me laughing so hard, it was hilarious and brilliant. I agree with everyone saying Show Yourself is perfection, what a beautiful sequence.

Ellyshia

Oct 27, 2017
Got around to watching it a second time, and it really is even better on the rewatch. You can really spend more time absorbing the emotional beats which is one of its biggest strengths.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
I found a karaoke version of Into the Unknown with the siren call in it.

Guess who's been annoying the neighbours the past half hour? 😂

Oct 29, 2017
Australia

So deserved!

In other news, Frozen II has been nominated for Best Animated Feature and "Into The Unknown" for Best Song at the Critics' Choice Awards.

Hey Disney - you need to stop playin'! As lovely as "Into The Unknown" is, everyone knows that "Show Yourself" is the best song. Even though it's got spoilers, I wish they'd push it more!

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
The scene from "Show Yourself" is on YouTube if you know where to look, and I'm still not over the animation.

When Elsa puts both hands to her mouth briefly and the way she swishes the mist around at the very end of the song - it looks so crazy real that I'm briefly taken out of the moment. My brain is like, "So this is now a real perso-oops, nope, it's still animation!"

Just give both Elsa and Anna Oscars! They act better than most real actors do with their mind blowing facial animations.

moronica

Oct 28, 2017
I think my favourite bit of character animation was at the very end of the movie, when Elsa summons the water horse and freezes it. That was the sequel's equivalent to the infamous power strut, and she's not afraid to flaunt it.

Good to see Frozen being nominated for best screenplay and music single in Golden Globes, but it really should have been the entire soundtrack. The Lopez's really killed it this time around.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
My girls (4 and 7) already want to know when Frozen II is going to be on Disney+.

And one of them has said "I want to see that movie again!" In theatres. So, I might be going for another round. Not that I'd mind at all. Want to sink my teeth into it a bit more. It was a beautiful mess despite there being clear things you can nitpick or point to as flaws.