• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
The Guardian said:
Excessive consumption of sugary drinks – including juice – associated with the disease

Drinking large amounts of fruit juice may raise your risk of cancer, according to a big study which has found a link between the regular consumption of all kinds of sugary drinks and the likelihood of developing the disease.

The study, carried out in France, is the first substantial piece of research to find a specific association between sugar and cancer. Sugary drinks such as colas, lemonade and energy drinks have been linked to obesity, which is a cause of cancer, but the French researchers suggest there could also be other reasons sugar could trigger it.

The study, published in the BMJ, finds the association with cancer is just as strong with fruit juices as it is with colas. "When the group of sugary drinks was split into 100% fruit juices and other sugary drinks, the consumption of both beverage types was associated with a higher risk of overall cancer," it says.

Drink only water, people!

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah. juice is for diabetics, don't touch it.

i restrict all my juice consumption to one glass of OJ if I am terribly hungover

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I know they encourage drinking less but:

"The recommendation from several public health agencies is to consume less than one drink per day. If you consume from time to time a sugary drink it won't be a problem, but if you drink at least one glass a day it can raise the risk of several diseases – here, maybe cancer, but also with a high level of evidence, cardiometabolic diseases."

I'll take my chances just like how every breath I take increases my chances of lung cancer or every time I put on boxer briefs I increase my chances of testicular cancer.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Respiration oxygenates blood which allows cellular mitosis to occur which is the process that gives rise to cancerous mutations which are themselves the cause of cancer.

Breathing causes cancer.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I stopped drinking juice in my teenage years, just because you're better off eating the actual fruit instead, but there's no point in worrying about every little thing giving you cancer, because literally everything is giving you cancer. Just don't overdo it, as you would with any other thing you put into your body.

Conmex

Banned
May 19, 2018
I know they encourage drinking less but:

I'll take my chances just like how every breath I take increases my chances of lung cancer or every time I put on boxer briefs I increase my chances of testicular cancer.
Reminds me of the link of processed meat to cancer. I believe it was something like you have to eat a serving of bacon every day for your cancer risk to go up by 1 percent...

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
Is there anything on this earth that won't give me cancer

Yes. These studies are meant to help us make healthier choices, but they instead appear to engender apathy and reinforce unhealthy behavior because people think that "everything causes cancer."

As OP said, just drink water. Is that so hard?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Natural fruit juices or the boxed kind you find in stores with massive amounts of sugars and artificial shit added to them ?

If it's the former, I'm surprised.

If it's the latter, no shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Why drink only water when it specifically says excessive consumption of fruit juice? Just don't excessively consume it, like literally everything else. You shouldn't be excessively consuming anything.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. These studies are meant to help us make healthier choices, but they instead appear to engender apathy and reinforce unhealthy behavior because people think that "everything causes cancer."

I mean some people have tap water that can possibly cause cancer...

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Natural fruit juices or the boxed kind you find in stores with massive amounts of sugars and artificial shit added to them ?
Parents give kids these toxic juice boxes or sippy cups full of apple juice just to shut them up. It establishes a terrible life-long addiction to sugar.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Petty anti-science posts all around.

I stopped drinking fruit juice in the morning because it contains all the sugars in liquid form. Eating raw fruits is better because the sugar is inside the fruit fiber, so it doesn't interact with the body as much.

I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. Drinking some fruit juice won't give you cancer. Just be moderate.

Vonnegut

Banned
May 27, 2018
Didnt steve jobs get pancreatic cancer because all he ate was fruits and some vegetables?

Steve Jobs would sometimes spend weeks eating nothing but apples. Then he would eat nothing but carrots.

I suspect that his pancreatic cancer may have been caused by an extreme fruitarian diet, which led to too much intake of sugar.

Ashton Kutcher attempted to follow the same diet in preparation for playing Jobs in a film, and suffered a bout of pancreatitis.

Deleted member 25712

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's just sugar. Sugary drinks make you fatter. Fruit juice is high in sugar. But that's not as click-baity as "fruit juice raises the risk of cancer"

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
No use worrying unless it's something really harmful like cigarette smoke and excessive radiation. After all, way too many uncountable things have slight chance of causing cancer. Being a multicellular organism just makes you susceptible to it. Sugar is way more harmful in other aspects anyways.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California

Yeah it's always weird reading these types of threads. Like people just completely disregard the science and pretend since many things are slightly dangerous, then no point in paying attention to what you consume. Some things are way more dangerous than others.

Yes, many things can give you cancer, but there are definitely safer ways to eat to keeps the risk very low.