• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For a supposedly progressive and pro-science forum, the amount of ignorant shit here is pretty telling.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stop caping for fruit juice, it's unnecessary. God put both fruit and water here for you, this is a totally avoidable error.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of these things cause cancer because of the sugar, so basically be wary of what you put in your mouth and check ingredients. There's a lot of unnecessary sugar in our foods sadly, because the companies just want to make money, and people don't take ingredients seriously, so nothing's changing.

I've been on a sugar free diet the last couple of weeks(the occasional fruit but no products with added sugar), and it's insane that I can't buy like 80% of the stuff at my super market.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure at this point they can work up a study to make it show that virtually anything will give you cancer.

Yep, that's all it takes to get in to one of the largest medical research journals, after all. Just shit out any study, say cancer, and there you go.

You can't tell but I'm rolling my eyes.

Deleted member 25702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think it's anti-science to say "these studies are abused in the media and honestly I'd rather take my chances and enjoy my life with juices and sugars" but go off.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
Cutting down on the amount of sugary drinks we all consume, together with sugar taxes and restrictions on marketing, might help reduce the cancer burden, say the authors. That does not mean nobody should ever drink them. "As usual with nutrition, the idea is not to avoid foods, just to balance the intake," said Dr Mathilde Touvier, who led the research, from Inserm, the French national institute of health and medical research.

"The recommendation from several public health agencies is to consume less than one drink per day. If you consume from time to time a sugary drink it won't be a problem, but if you drink at least one glass a day it can raise the risk of several diseases – here, maybe cancer, but also with a high level of evidence, cardiometabolic diseases."

Even one glass a day increases your risks lol.

I guess the main thing is to avoid drinking straight up sugar, which is essentially what you're doing with juice/soda, most days of the week. It's like how my grandma used to look forward to her one glass of Dr. Pepper on Sunday lol.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Concentrated sugar is bad for you. People in this thread would prefer not to acknowledge that.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Are they talking about juice with added sugar or real fruit juice
Sometimes the two are indistinguishable because of how they manipulate labeling. Apple juice, for example is already incredibly high in sugar, on par with most sodas.

is-your-juice-from-china-mother-would-know-juicy-juice-nutrition-label.jpg

(see 22g of sugar per 8oz)

C06029b.jpg

(26 grams per 8oz)

That's just apple juice of course, but let's check something like Cranberry juice. Cranberries have very low sugar levels surely 100% juice there should be really low on sugar right?

5A4D2803-D5BA-30AF-40B3-A212956072C9-79965.jpeg

28g of sugar despite having zero added sugar... because they can call it 100% juice while also adding other much heavier sugar content juices to sweeten it up (in this case, adding Grape, apple, and pear juices which all contain a ton of sugar naturally)

So a low sugar fruit like cranberries end up in a 100% juice with more calories than a can of coke...

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
For a supposedly progressive and pro-science forum, the amount of ignorant shit here is pretty telling.

Relax. We are all just joking....
Seriously, if u really want to live a super healthy lifestyle as per medical studies recommendations, you will probably be living in a sterilized room, wear a hazmat suit and eat only super sterilized food.

No way can a normal sane person living their life based on these constantly updated medical studies and adjusting on the fly ad infinitum.

Just live your life as per the classic mantra. Do every thing in moderation.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Are they talking about fresh juice or packet ones?
Depends on the juice. If you used a juicer to make your own apple juice at home, it'll still be loaded with sugars. You could instead make your own lemonade or cranberry juice and limit the amount of sugar in it and it'd be much better for you.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Natural fruit juices or the boxed kind you find in stores with massive amounts of sugars and artificial shit added to them ?

If it's the former, I'm surprised.

If it's the latter, no shit.
Natural fruit juices also have massive amounts of sugar, without the fiber that eating actual fruit would provide.

TonyMartial11

Banned
Mar 5, 2019
Association studies are often a bit weak....if I was to do research for example linking days of birth to risk of cancer.....its not beyond the realms of possibility for someone to find data to suggest people born on (e.g.) monday to have a higher risk of cancer.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Seriously, if u really want to live a super healthy lifestyle as per medical studies recommendations, you will probably be living in a sterilized room, wear a hazmat suit and eat only super sterilized food.

No way can a normal sane person living their life based on these constantly updated medical studies and adjusting on the fly ad infinitum.

I want semi-intelligent people with the capacity to learn new things to understand the basics of how scientific studies work and how to interpret their conclusions.

Something "raising your risk of cancer" is not the same as "giving you cancer" as say gamma rays, UV radiation or asbestos fibers will (not to mention that this study was just about correlation not causation). This research adds to our knowledge base and helps other actual scientists design public health programs that are pretty much the only way to keep health costs somewhat reasonable as the population rapidly ages. There's a very good chance that you'll die due to any numerous other causes before any of the risks materialize. Ridiculing the study is just adding to the general anti-science sentiment that is on the raise in most places.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I want semi-intelligent people with the capacity to learn new things to understand the basics of how scientific studies work and how to interpret their conclusions.

Something "raising your risk of cancer" is not the same as "giving you cancer" as say gamma rays, UV radiation or asbestos fibers will. This research adds to our knowledge base and helps other actual scientists design public health programs that are pretty much the only way to keep health costs somewhat reasonable as the population rapidly ages. There's a very good chance that you'll die due to any numerous other causes before any of the risks materialize. Ridiculing the study is just adding to the general anti-science sentiment that is on the raise in most places.

Counter point:

Your super serious logical stance is one of the contributing factors why the anti-science crowd is growing.

U need to understand that although scientists & researchers may be able to think in numbers & logic, the mass majority do not. Trying to pimp these ideas 'as a matter of fact' and expect the mass to take in 'as is' is just a fool's errand. And then to immediately dismiss the detractors as 'simpleton', guess what is the result?

These reports can be super logical and numbers driven if it's published for peer review. Though these Scientists & researchers will need a marketing department if their findings are to be presented for mass consumption.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Counter point:

Your super serious logical stance is one of the contributing factors why the anti-science crowd is growing.

U need to understand that although scientists & researchers may be able to think in numbers & logic, the mass majority do not. Trying to pimp these ideas 'as a matter of fact' and expect the mass to take in 'as is' is just a fool's errand. And then to immediately dismiss the detractors as 'simpleton', guess what is the result?

These reports can be super logical and numbers driven if it's published for peer review. Though these Scientists & researchers will need a marketing department if their findings are to be presented for mass consumption.
This is a combination of shitty media reporting for any science news as well as scientists not really having as many good spokepeople as they should. You need both people on the science side to explain things in a way that makes it understandable for the average person as well as competent reporting on the media side. The Guardian is doing a good job here though, I do wish people actually read the article.

My stance is directed at ERA members, whom I usually consider better informed and educated than the average person and who have no reason to play idiots in this topic either.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
This is 100% shitty media reporting, as per usual for any science news. You need both people on the science side to explain things in a way that makes it understandable for the average person as well as competent reporting on the media side.

My stance is directed at ERA members, whom I usually consider better informed and educated than the average person and who have no reason to play idiots in this topic either.

This is just a casual community driven forum. Not a formal scientific review board. Some fun should be allowed I think...

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is just a casual community driven forum. Not a formal scientific review board. Some fun should be allowed I think...
Gee, go try to have some fun in any thread on a political or social topic and tell me how it works out for you.

"Haha everything gives you cancer these days, you'd need to live in a sterilized room to follow all the recommendations these days" is 100% equivalent to climate change denial. It's sad that people don't understand this.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Is there anything on this earth that won't give me cancer
Life is cancer.

Basically yeah even being outside will give you cancer. There's managing risk and then there's just taking the point out of even being here in the first place. I'm enjoying my life, losing weight at the moment which is great, but we should all just enjoy life within reason and stop fretting about all this nonsense. I'd hazard a guess that the risk of dying from merely driving a car far outstrips the risk you'll get cancer from drinking a lot of orange juice.

Last edited:

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
so in the past five years literally everything has been discovered to "cause cancer"

smoked meats = cancer
processed meats = cancer
beef = cancer
pork/bacon = cancer
beer/wine = cancer
soda and sugary drinks = cancer
smoking = cancer
etc etc

meanwhile some people smoke every day and never get cancer and my friend whom my son is named after died from melanoma at age 30.

eat, drink, be merry, enjoy life as much as you can. You may live to 100, you may live to 35, its really a crap shoot based on your genetics, diet, exercise, luck and many other factors.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
so in the past five years literally everything has been discovered to "cause cancer"

smoked meats = cancer
processed meats = cancer
beef = cancer
pork/bacon = cancer
beer/wine = cancer
smoking = cancer
etc etc

meanwhile some people smoke every day and never get cancer and my friend whom my son is named after died from melanoma at age 30.

eat, drink, be merry, enjoy life as much as you can. You may live to 100, you may live to 35, its really a crap shoot based on your genetics, diet, exercise, luck and many other factors.
Better just stop all the research, think of how much money we'd save!

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
#1: It's not literally everything.
#2: Nearly everything on that list has been known or at least partially linked to causing cancer for decades.

You can live your live however you like, but being ignorant of these things benefits absolutely no one.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

smoked meats = cancer
processed meats = cancer
beef = cancer
pork/bacon = cancer
beer/wine = cancer
smoking = cancer
etc etc

yeah, basically all the good shit is bad for you. Drink water and eat grass, you'll live to 150.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I've been buying the V8 juice blends lately and they're pretty good and relatively low in sugar.

healthy-greens-1-400x400.png

Gotta have something other than water, coffee, and tea sometimes.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
#1: It's not literally everything.
#2: Nearly everything on that list has been known or at least partially linked to causing cancer for decades.

You can live your live however you like, but being ignorant of these things benefits absolutely no one.
There will be significant effects when governments will finally be forced to take direct action in limiting sugar and other parts of packaged food. We're at the baby steps phase at the moment.

Lifestyle based health risk factors have today and will have a much more significant impact on people's lives than climate change for quite a while.

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Why havent we found a way to have sugar without it killing us, like cant we just have it not be so bad for us?

Also I always add a decent amount of sugar to my coffee so Im probably already dead?

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
sitting pretty here drinking my room temperature glass of water and eating uncooked broccoli while you savages are all getting cancer

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Why drink only water when it specifically says excessive consumption of fruit juice? Just don't excessively consume it, like literally everything else. You shouldn't be excessively consuming anything.

Because it's a cancer link study so we must panic and overcorrect! Aaaaaaahhhh!

Sorry OP, I'm still gonna drink apple juice when I want to.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
congratulations, you both completely missed the point.
I absolutely did not. Your point was "Some people do whatever they want and die young, and some live to be forever. Just do what you want." My counter point is "Most people are affected by their life choices, and they should have the education and resources to make the decisions best for them."

If you choose to continue to live day to day without worrying about your health, that's fine. But you should have the knowledge handy if you want to act on it.

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

Basically every study comes back with the same results: Sugary diets are bad, stop eating/drinking so much sugar. Highly processed foods are bad, stop eating so much processed food. Don't be fat. Any normal sane person can do these things.

Its not hard to stop drinking soda and eating fast food. Get a bit of exercise and then you're ahead of the curve. It blows my mind that people think being healthy is hard.