• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 17, 2017
Undeniable proof that trees are trying to kill us.
meLuaHK.gif

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Sometimes the two are indistinguishable because of how they manipulate labeling. Apple juice, for example is already incredibly high in sugar, on par with most sodas.

is-your-juice-from-china-mother-would-know-juicy-juice-nutrition-label.jpg

(see 22g of sugar per 8oz)

C06029b.jpg

(26 grams per 8oz)

That's just apple juice of course, but let's check something like Cranberry juice. Cranberries have very low sugar levels surely 100% juice there should be really low on sugar right?

5A4D2803-D5BA-30AF-40B3-A212956072C9-79965.jpeg

28g of sugar despite having zero added sugar... because they can call it 100% juice while also adding other much heavier sugar content juices to sweeten it up (in this case, adding Grape, apple, and pear juices which all contain a ton of sugar naturally)

So a low sugar fruit like cranberries end up in a 100% juice with more calories than a can of coke...
Oh I'm aware of the high sugar content but I was under the impression that "fruit sugar" would be different from the cane sugar/corn syrup added to some drinks as far as cancer risk goes.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
The study, published in the BMJ, finds the association with cancer is just as strong with fruit juices as it is with colas. "When the group of sugary drinks was split into 100% fruit juices and other sugary drinks, the consumption of both beverage types was associated with a higher risk of overall cancer,"
So sugary drinks period, not just fruit juice.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, but sugar free diet drinks are their own can of unhealthy worms and should be avoided as well.

Sugar free diet drinks are a lot healthier than sugared ones. While it's true that studies have shown a number of negative side effects from them (if you drink non-sugar sweeteners, you're more likely to have cravings for sweet things than someone who gives it up entirely) the amount of artificial sweetener you need to consume is much much greater.

• The study also found that drinking one artificially sweetened beverage per day instead of a sugary one lowered the risk of premature death. However, drinking four or more artificially sweetened beverages per day was associated with increased risk of mortality in women, so researchers cautioned against excessive consumption of artificially-sweetened beverages.
www.hsph.harvard.edu

Sugary Drinks

Sugary drinks (also categorized as sugar-sweetened beverages or “soft” drinks) refer to any beverage with added sugar or other sweeteners (high fructose corn syrup, sucrose, fruit juice concentrate…

Artificial sweeteners are hundreds of times more effective per gram at sweetening than sugar is, so you ingest only tiny fractions of it compared to sugar.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I'm aware of the high sugar content but I was under the impression that "fruit sugar" would be different from the cane sugar/corn syrup added to some drinks as far as cancer risk goes.
Nah, once your body breaks it down sugar is sugar. Your insulin is still effected the same, your bodies ability to use and store it is the same.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It's just sugar. Sugary drinks make you fatter. Fruit juice is high in sugar. But that's not as click-baity as "fruit juice raises the risk of cancer"
CANCER IN A GLASS: THIS TASTY REFRESHMENT COULD LEAVE YOU SIX FEET UNDER THE BREAKFAST TABLE

a word of advice, you're being too straightforward for your username. try to be a little more acerbic and weird when you post. for instance, I personally like to add SCREEEREETETETEEEE sounds to my posts sometimes, to remind everyone that I'm a raccoon

on topic, yeah everybody should drink water, that's pretty much the only "new" "takeaway" from this "study." I mean, the article is literally "sugar is bad," everybody ought to know this
Who let this raccoon in here?

Last edited:

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's always weird reading these types of threads. Like people just completely disregard the science and pretend since many things are slightly dangerous, then no point in paying attention to what you consume. Some things are way more dangerous than others.

Yes, many things can give you cancer, but there are definitely safer ways to eat to keeps the risk very low.

The anti-science, exggerated, drive-by posts are exhausting and ruin any chance of discussion. Suggest to people that they change a minor aspect of their life in order to reduce the risks of disease and you get pages of dumbass comments. But hey, Era is such an enlightened place that openly accepts science, and not like those stupid antivaxxers and climate change denier shitheads, right?

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, sugar in general is just a killer over the long haul, and its in everything from fruits, fruit beverages to bread.
Eliminate that shit out of your diet as much as possible for as long as possible.

Shit, i don't even put honey in my tea anymore. Keeps the sweets off my plate.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
anything with added sugar is probably killing you slowly. My only weakness is icecream, I eat so much of it, specially right now...

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The anti-science, exggerated, drive-by posts are exhausting and ruin any chance of discussion. Suggest to people that they change a minor aspect of their life in order to reduce the risks of disease and you get pages of dumbass comments. But hey, Era is such an enlightened place that openly accepts science, and not like those stupid antivaxxers and climate change denier shitheads, right?

That's the problem, it's not a minor aspect of people's life because according to a lot of reports, people would need to completely reshape the way they eat, removing food they like from their diets in large parts. A lot of people actually enjoy eating and don't want to transform it as yet another chore you have to do.

As for the second part of your post, it's completely disingenuous to compare antivaxxers and climate change denier to people in this thread. The clear difference is that the first two actually don't believe what is reported, while the other do believe what's being said. There's nothing anti science about that.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Huh even 100% fresh squeezed juice?
Will cut down immediately and tell my family about it as well

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Title is leaving the important thing: sugar.

Excessive consumption of sugar, in anything, will increase the chance of cancer. No shit.

Make your own juice, problem solved.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
For a supposedly progressive and pro-science forum, the amount of ignorant shit here is pretty telling.
To be fair here we're talking about the food sciences one of the most notorious regarding public amendments and alterations to recommended dietary requirements. My sister worker at an institute of food science as a researcher and she's well aware of the infamy the discipline has and the reason why it gets such reactions.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Can't remember the last time I drank fruit juice from a carton must be 10-15 years. I've had fresh orange juice once or twice a year when I've had some oranges leftover and didn't have a use for them. I eat plenty of fruit though, if by some chance high consumption of kiwis, pears, bananas and pineapple caused cancer - I'm fucked, deliciously.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To be fair here we're talking about the food sciences one of the most notorious regarding public amendments and alterations to recommended dietary requirements. My sister worker at an institute of food science as a researcher and she's well aware of the infamy the discipline has and the reason why it gets such reactions.
The study is about epidemiology and public health. Anyone bringing up food science is doing themselves a disservice.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The study is about epidemiology and public health. Anyone bringing up food science is doing themselves a disservice.
Your expecting, the casual readers looking to be more informed about their diet to understand the difference?

That's going from expecting people to be pro science to be expecting them to be competent within the subject area. That's a pretty high expectation there.

Last edited:

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Veganism is linked to lower bone density and higher risk of fractures....

Literally everything any diet, food, drink, lifestyle will be linked to some risk. Its about being sensible and making balanced choices.

Ultimately if fruit juice raises your cancer risk then so does fruit. And higher sugar vegetables. Eating an orange means ingesting the same amount of sugar as drinking one squeezed.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like water but no way can I drink just that.

No way can I drink black coffee either. Hate bitterness.

Sigh everything I like has sugar!

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Im surprised that no one eats fruit, everyone has to drink it. Eating Fruits doesnt give cancer.