• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
This isn't a fact at all.

At this point nothing is a fact. Did you read the OP ?

"There have been industry rumours that Sony might be planning a tablet that would connect to multiple devices as online streaming of games becomes more widespread and the company seeks to derive ever greater synergies between its games and movie divisions."

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Surprised you guys haven't ignored that guy already, every thread he enters tend to be derailed with the same screeching.

As for the topic I'm eagerly waiting to see what will their strategy be for VR. New launch head set? Or a revision later but make PS5 support the current headset.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

"There have been industry rumours that Sony might be planning a tablet that would connect to multiple devices as online streaming of games becomes more widespread and the company seeks to derive ever greater synergies between its games and movie divisions."
It's a fact that the PS Vita was an extraordinary failure. It's a fact that they're going into the PSVR market, which requires a lot of horsepower. It's a fact that they have PSNow, which could fill portable niche by way of an app on your phone. It's a fact that the entire success they've enjoyed so far was almost entirely due to them going after the core gamer, while their competitor didn't. It's a fact that their entire first party studio structure is very much AAA oriented.

None of those facts sound like they'd want to go the "switch route" to me.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
2 things :

1. The fact that they could look into a tablet. Of course a tablet would never be as powerful as a console. Pretty sure the tablet could be as powerful as a Pro ( which is 4 times more powerful than a Switch pretti much ). But we'll be far from the 15 TF monster the people were expecting..

A tablet is not getting any where PS4Pro in power to make it worth while.
Plus Sony is not going to let MS get high end market for there self.

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Next Xbox 2019, Next Playstation 2020.

Both of them running on Zen APUs, full backward/forward compatibility, no real "generational reset" like we're used to.

Launch timing defined by software. MS has stuff cooking to be ready for 2019 while Sony has to wait for the next wave in 2020.

All speculation of course.
Both are 2020

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
With Microsoft and Google trying game streaming and even Nintendo testing it on Switch (RE7 and AC Odyssey) I'm sure Sony will have some form of streaming service / device too. Maybe carry on with PS Now and make it bigger and better or something completely new, on top of the traditional PS5 console.

Next gen is gonna be very interesting.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
They do have a streaming and tv service so it wouldn't be too surprising if Sony pushed some type of hybrid tablet for next gen.

Still tho it will be hilarious as fuck if they walk out on stage with a WiiU esque console. Will make for a great laugh.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
They better use this logo

HNTW6XH.png

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Give me specs strong enough for every game to have this option as standard -

Native 4k / 30fps or 1440p / 60fps.

The massive leap in computational power of Ryzen over Jaguar aswell as a 3x boost to the Pro's GPU along with a doubling of RAM with much higher bandwidth should make it a reality.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

U do know what remote play is,,right ?u stream ur ps5 to ur tab from anywhere ,or to your laptop. They just want to sell official tablet screen on the side to make remote play more smooth .not to become like switch .

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Give me specs strong enough for every game to have this option as standard -

Native 4k / 30fps or 1440p / 60fps.

The massive leap in computational power of Ryzen over Jaguar aswell as a 3x boost to the Pro's GPU along with a doubling of RAM with much higher bandwidth should make it a reality.
Yes .this sounds good . 12 to 13 TF 8 core zen 2 with 24 gb gddr 6 gaming ram . separate one for os

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
U do know what remote play is,,right ?u stream ur ps5 to ur tab from anywhere ,or to your laptop. They just want to sell official tablet screen on the side to make remote play more smooth .not to become like switch .

You don't know that. Sounds to me like a Switch. But unlike the Switch, this will be more than a videogames device, a true entertainment system.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Not too keen on new consoles at the moment, since I started gaming on PC, but a BC PS5 would definitely get my attention. That also means I would expect the digital games I bought on PS4 to also transfer to it.

Otherwise, I'll probably just wait a few years and then upgrade to a comparable/more powerful laptop when new tech hits.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
I was playing Spider-Man the other day, which looks great, and I thought "I'm not DESPERATE for the next graphical boost", and then I played some PSVR, and thought "OK, I'm ready for a graphical boost, bring it on!". Next gen VR on PS5, please!

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anti-consumer is necessarily a bad thing. It's in its definition. You can argue semantics all days long if you want, but that doesn't change the definition of the word. You're using the word way too broadly to the point where it loses its meaning. "Well, that thing that isn't anti-consumer is actually anti-consumer, but because of the state of the market, that anti-consumer thing is actually a good thing, so in practice, it isn't actually anti-consumer.". Why not just call it for what it it, which is to say, not anti-consumer?

Just going to respond this this part, something not necessarily being bad doesn't mean its good, its just not bad and vice versa. It is still anti-consumer policy, just the state of the market makes it irrelevant. If this market was as bad as something like Nvidia and AMD or worse, I believe the lesser side would have a good argument for a lawsuit. We aren't talking about a company that owns another and telling them to make exclusives, we are talking about 3rd parties being paid to do so in an effort to strike at competitors. It isn't creation anything new. If the market didn't allow for competition, this would likely result in a government intervention of the market. I believe certain degrees of anti-consumer policies are fine so long as it doesn't have a serious disruption or impact on the market as a whole, that is not me saying its good.

I don't think either one of us is going to agree on it, so this is my last post.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was playing Spider-Man the other day, which looks great, and I thought "I'm not DESPERATE for the next graphical boost", and then I played some PSVR, and thought "OK, I'm ready for a graphical boost, bring it on!". Next gen VR on PS5, please!
We are actually, finally, getting diminishing returns with graphics now. We've got almost photorealistic graphics from a few studios, the only place left to go is photorealistic.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
It's a fact that the PS Vita was an extraordinary failure. It's a fact that they're going into the PSVR market, which requires a lot of horsepower. It's a fact that they have PSNow, which could fill portable niche by way of an app on your phone. It's a fact that the entire success they've enjoyed so far was almost entirely due to them going after the core gamer, while their competitor didn't. It's a fact that their entire first party studio structure is very much AAA oriented.

None of those facts sound like they'd want to go the "switch route" to me.

Most of the things that you call "facts" just don't add up :

- the PS Vita was a failure. So what ? The Wii U a tablet orientated console was a failure. How is it going for the Switch so far ?

- The VR market is heading into another direction : standalone. So the next PSVR device will be a standalone device. Mark my words.

- PS NOW is actually a great argument for a non powerful PS5. As thanks to the Cloud, you won't need a monster device in specs.

- the Core gamer are the ones buying the Switch. So I would not worry about core gamers support on a PS5 hybrid.

- AAA orientated ? The whole gaming industry on console is AAA orientated anyway. That's a non argument. You think Ubisoft, Rockstar and EA will stop supporting Sony because they go for a hybrid console ? Come on now.

It's always the same core gamers are adverse to change. Sony will make sure to not alienate its base, so I'm sure the PS5 will be powerful enough. Or maybe - as Scarlett - the PS5 will be a family of devices.

Oct 25, 2017
The void
I hope they step it up on the hardware. Isn't there a big difference between the ps4 pro and the x1x? At least that's the impression I got from the AC odyssey comparison thread. I felt like they could've done more with the pro. I remember the insider announcement thread of the ps4 pro at the other place and the guy said they were looking at a couple different options for the pro hardware wise, and then they ended up going with the lowest possible options.

LeFronge

May 5, 2018
United Kingdom
Dont know if its been posted on this thread - but we all know the PS4 can't play PS3 games because of the architecture right? Still a ball-ache to emulate/run PS3 games on the PS4 hardware. Cell processor vs x86.

Sure, i'd like to play my PS1 and PS2 games on my PS4 too - but if that made Sony anti-consumer, by those same rules it also makes Nintendo anti-consumer for me not being able to play my Wii and WiiU games on my switch.

LeFronge

May 5, 2018
United Kingdom
Im really looking forward to the PS5 being x86!

I'm not very technically savvy - but there shouldn't be too many reasons the PS5 couldn't be backwards compatible with PS4 games out of the box.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they step it up on the hardware. Isn't there a big difference between the ps4 pro and the x1x?

There's a difference in price and release date also. The Pro was the best that could be done at the price and the time. There was a reason MS waited to release the X1X - it wouldn't have been much different to Pro had it released at the same time and at the same pricepoint.

Sony are the best they've ever been at putting together console architectures at the right price - short of any unforeseeable bad bets wrt tech, I'd have good confidence in PS5 with regard to the price/power/time triangle.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
I hope they step it up on the hardware. Isn't there a big difference between the ps4 pro and the x1x? At least that's the impression I got from the AC odyssey comparison thread. I felt like they could've done more with the pro. I remember the insider announcement thread of the ps4 pro at the other place and the guy said they were looking at a couple different options for the pro hardware wise, and then they ended up going with the lowest possible options.

But PS4 was stronger than Xbone out the gate in 2013 so they got the hardware right in the first place.
Then XB1X came out a year after Pro so you'd expect it to perform better especially after MS went extra hard after losing that first power battle in consumers minds.

I don't think they'll skimp on PS5 hardware (might be weaker than new Xbox) but I'm sure they are going for a significant upgrade.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Most of the things that you call "facts" just don't add up :

- the PS Vita was a failure. So what ? The Wii U a tablet orientated console was a failure. How is it going for the Switch so far ?

- The VR market is heading into another direction : standalone. So the next PSVR device will be a standalone device. Mark my words.

- PS NOW is actually a great argument for a non powerful PS5. As thanks to the Cloud, you won't need a monster device in specs.

- the Core gamer are the ones buying the Switch. So I would not worry about core gamers support on a PS5 hybrid.

- AAA orientated ? The whole gaming industry on console is AAA orientated anyway. That's a non argument. You think Ubisoft, Rockstar and EA will stop supporting Sony because they go for a hybrid console ? Come on now.

It's always the same core gamers are adverse to change. Sony will make sure to not alienate its base, so I'm sure the PS5 will be powerful enough. Or maybe - as Scarlett - the PS5 will be a family of devices.
You have extraordinarily bad takes on almost every part of this.

The PS Vita was a failure, so the idea that they're now going to turn around and make their entire gaming division go that route while forgoing what made them literally come back from the brink is completely and utterly insane, that's what. Also, the reason the Switch is such a success is because Nintendo had an already carved out piece of the mobile market to start with. That's not the case for playstation.

The VR market is headed wherever it's profitable. Some are going for the standalone form factor. This is not what Sony will do. Last I checked, I'm pretty sure that their machine is the best selling out there, so again, what incentive is there to change that? They can keep PSVR as a cheaper device tied to the horsepower of their main console.

Again, they're not going to leave the mainstream market to Microsoft by not competing with them in the hardware space, and just releasing a "non powerful PS5". The cloud thing is a side business, and not the main selling point that will change the form factor of all their machines going forward. So no, PS Now is not actually a great argument for a non powerful PS5.

"It's always the same, core gamers are adverse to change", but "don't worry, core gamers will support a PS5 hybrid"? This is completely contradictory.

What I mean by "AAA oriented" is that their first party studios are completely geared towards pushing the boundaries in regard to the graphical quality of their games. This has made them a ton of money, and all of the sudden they'll change that? Your previous post was based on the notion that there may be some monetary incentive, in that they might think "a PS5 might sell 80 mil, but a PS5 Switch might sell a ton more". There is literally no factual basis for this idea, and in fact, there is a factual basis for the exact opposite.

I also love how your post is arguing for Sony "going the Switch route", but then steps it all back by saying that it may be a family of devices. Which one is it?

Last edited:

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Give me a good design this time. Not slanted nor oval crap or any of those design gimmicks, but practical, functional, sound industrial design with visual balance and nice finishing touches. Last time they done this was with the PS2 but it doesn't have to be a PS2 revival either, in 2018 you can reach the same goals with something completely different.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch thing isn't happening, and shouldn't.

It would be a huge step back both for Sony and its studios and would be a freaking blessing for MS.

It's like people forget, or try to ignore, how successful the PS4 is when bringing this stuff up.

Feb 10, 2018
I think the PS5 will have the same philosophy as the PS4 and they will invest more in game streaming just to hedge there bets.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
We are actually, finally, getting diminishing returns with graphics now. We've got almost photorealistic graphics from a few studios, the only place left to go is photorealistic.
Which, frankly, save for a few studios, would be a waste. I think it's a mistake if too many games prioritize getting to the point where violence to and on rendered characters is realistic and unsettling in the way that I found some of TLOU2's pre-release media to be. I'm all for mature stories for mature audiences, but I guess if this is the future of the industry, I'm not apart of the target demographic.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because some disc games have different SKUs to digital versions so they could use that as an excuse to be like ehh too hard, and force you to rebuy it digitally where they get a bigger cut. *Tin foil hat*
That would be a slap in the face to more than half of the PS4 owners. That's why it's not going to happen.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If they go full digital and streaming, then I go full Nintendo.

I need the physical option at least.