• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Lots of offtopic talk here I see.

Anyhow, article is filled with predictable info, but one thing I found interesting is this:
"Industry analysts believe that Sony will be keen to rectify that through its next console, by ensuring that its machines are deemed powerful enough to host top level esport events."

IMO, this means that high-framerate rendering (1080p/1440p 120-144-240fps) has to be supported on PS5. Without it, esports players will not touch it, except if they are playing a specific console-exclusive title.
I believe the highest framerate you will see is 60fps that is a TV standard too.

Competitive eSport doesn't require higher framerate just that everybody playing has the same framerate for competition.

So no. That not means what are you thinking :)

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which, frankly, save for a few studios, would be a waste. I think it's a mistake if too many games prioritize getting to the point where violence to and on rendered characters is realistic and unsettling in the way that I found some of TLOU2's pre-release media to be. I'm all for mature stories for mature audiences, but I guess if this is the future of the industry, I'm not apart of the target demographic.
Yeah, it is definitely going to be a problem. That video for TLOU2 completely turned me off from ever playing the game.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
They better use this logo

HNTW6XH.png
Yup, it's the right thing to do.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anti-consumer philosophy in what way?

In the US atleast

You can't really cancel or change digital preorder on their PSN. You get to do it one time but after that Sony doesn't allow you to do it.

It's really the only problem I have with Sony at this point.

But this thread isn't about that.

On topic

I'm hoping we hear about the PS5 early next year. I'm strangely ready for next gen and as of right now hopes next gen is a longer gen than this gen. I just hope it's not a streaming box.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it is definitely going to be a problem. That video for TLOU2 completely turned me off from ever playing the game.

Why would it be a problem?

It's not like all movies/comics/books are about violence just because some are.

Not to mention TLOU was already violent/brutal to begin with so TLOU2's direction is nothing surprising.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
It's to be expected. Doesn't R&D usually begin a year after the current one releases?

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yep, I'm the same way. I understand the horror/gore niche and understand that people like that. That's cool, no problem at all. I don't want all mature rated games to start including hyper realistic depictions of gore and violence though.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
How are you with the gore in RDR2? Sounds like it's going to be pretty gruesome in its own right, with tons of gore and detail for the humans, along with having bespoke graphic skinning animation for every animal type, along with having to mercy-kill whimpering deer.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the things that you call "facts" just don't add up :

- the PS Vita was a failure. So what ? The Wii U a tablet orientated console was a failure. How is it going for the Switch so far ?

- The VR market is heading into another direction : standalone. So the next PSVR device will be a standalone device. Mark my words.

- PS NOW is actually a great argument for a non powerful PS5. As thanks to the Cloud, you won't need a monster device in specs.

- the Core gamer are the ones buying the Switch. So I would not worry about core gamers support on a PS5 hybrid.

- AAA orientated ? The whole gaming industry on console is AAA orientated anyway. That's a non argument. You think Ubisoft, Rockstar and EA will stop supporting Sony because they go for a hybrid console ? Come on now.

It's always the same core gamers are adverse to change. Sony will make sure to not alienate its base, so I'm sure the PS5 will be powerful enough. Or maybe - as Scarlett - the PS5 will be a family of devices.
Not in my experience. Here at resetera bubble, yes, but most of them also buy either a PS or a XB, or both.

Everyone I know that either bought or are planning to buy a Switch are casuals mostly driven by Nintendo nostalgia.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
But PS4 was stronger than Xbone out the gate in 2013 so they got the hardware right in the first place.
Then XB1X came out a year after Pro so you'd expect it to perform better especially after MS went extra hard after losing that first power battle in consumers minds.

I don't think they'll skimp on PS5 hardware (might be weaker than new Xbox) but I'm sure they are going for a significant upgrade.
It's amazing that went it comes to specs, power both the orig XBO and One S seem to get overlooked.

Ppl just point to the Pro vs One X.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Bring on next gen. :) Buuuuut it would be so awesome if you could have PS4 BC.

Naturally this includes VR games!

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But PS4 was stronger than Xbone out the gate in 2013 so they got the hardware right in the first place.
Then XB1X came out a year after Pro so you'd expect it to perform better especially after MS went extra hard after losing that first power battle in consumers minds.

I don't think they'll skimp on PS5 hardware (might be weaker than new Xbox) but I'm sure they are going for a significant upgrade.
Sony can deal with having weaker hardware if they get their product out first and do things like having full backwards compatibility and new media support. That's what kept the PS2 going despite it being weaker than the GameCube and Xbox.

I know that there is absolutely nothing that Microsoft could do to get me to switch to Xbox next gen if the PS5 is backwards compatible, which if this article is true about it using the same API as the PS4 it is guaranteed.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
This is my first generation without a PlayStation (had my first kid in 2012, so no two console gen), and I don't really feel like I am missing out. Apart from the 1yr wait for crash bandicoot. Nothing has really grabbed me.

More power too you. For me there are too many exclusives and eastern developed games that come to the system. Some of them I could have got on PC like Yakuza, but I've been playing the series since PS2 so it felt weird not laying it with the Playstation.

Also me owning a Pro gives me a little more incentive, when comparing it to my PC. I guess Sony makes what I like, but I do understand it's not for everyone.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Give me specs strong enough for every game to have this option as standard -

Native 4k / 30fps or 1440p / 60fps.

The massive leap in computational power of Ryzen over Jaguar aswell as a 3x boost to the Pro's GPU along with a doubling of RAM with much higher bandwidth should make it a reality.

Yes .this sounds good . 12 to 13 TF 8 core zen 2 with 24 gb gddr 6 gaming ram . separate one for os

I actually agree with those specs for PS5, be it 2019 or 2020. Ryzen 3000 CPU (Zen 2) with 8 cores. A GPU that is 3x over PS4 Pro and 2x over X1X and 24 GB / 384-bit GDDR6. Hopefully PS5 will support Dolby Vision HDR, not just HDR10.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How are you with the gore in RDR2? Sounds like it's going to be pretty gruesome in its own right, with tons of gore and detail for the humans, along with having bespoke graphic skinning animation for every animal type, along with having to mercy-kill whimpering deer.
Tone is more of a problem than the actual visual violence. Rockstar tends to not take itself too seriously with its violence. Plus non-sadistic violence against animals in the form of subsistence living doesn't bother me at all.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am not enthused by what Sony has been doing in the marketplace from the middle of this generation on, and the last time they acted so arrogant and launched a system, it was pretty rough. I can't imagine their current strong anti-consumer philosophy is going to allow for a truly must-own piece of hardware for next-gen. But I can't say I'm surprised they are planning bringing new hardware to the market.
No idea what you're talking about. Go as far as saying the PS4 is actually the best PlayStation console I've ever owned and I've owned all of them. As long as they keep the great games coming, I'll be happy.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Sony can deal with having weaker hardware if they get their product out first and do things like having full backwards compatibility and new media support. That's what kept the PS2 going despite it being weaker than the GameCube and Xbox.

I know that there is absolutely nothing that Microsoft could do to get me to switch to Xbox next gen if the PS5 is backwards compatible, which if this article is true about it using the same API as the PS4 it is guaranteed.
Honestly it would be a complete failure if the PS5 doesn't have BC. The PS4 is literally just a PC at this point. The PS3 is extremely difficult to emulate and I doubt the consoles will ever have the CPU power to emulate it. (For a while)

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Which, frankly, save for a few studios, would be a waste. I think it's a mistake if too many games prioritize getting to the point where violence to and on rendered characters is realistic and unsettling in the way that I found some of TLOU2's pre-release media to be. I'm all for mature stories for mature audiences, but I guess if this is the future of the industry, I'm not apart of the target demographic.

The history of video game's stories have never been a single thing, today more than ever. Even if you happen to be a fan of Naughty Dog it's possible that they'll do something tonally completely different after TLOU 2.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
It's amazing that went it comes to specs, power both the orig XBO and One S seem to get overlooked.

Ppl just point to the Pro vs One X.

True true that's where vast majority of people are playing.

I agree with the conditions you layed out.
Being first to market even if a later Xbox with more power comes down the line isn't the worst position if Sony have their ducks in a row.

Plus, the next gen bump will hopefully be very noticeable on a hypothetical PS5 coming out first and still some sort of wow factor

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I want a handheld PS4 ala Switch. No streaming BS either. Native baby!

The chance is uuuuuuber small, but PS4 HW on 7nm could maybe end up somewhere in the "power hungry netbook range" [CUH 2000 @ 16nm uses ~65W for many games]. If that rumored "tablet device" is in the plan, if its big enough and with big enough battery, it could have full PS4 on it.

Or maybe, intentionally downclocked PS4 in handheld mode [devs would need patches for 720p play] and fully clocked PS4 in docked mode. Kinda compromised library access, but better something than nothing.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
People really happy to accept a not much more powerful than pro system in 2020? I don't think so personally. It would be pretty sad if they copy Nintendo as well. Seems like a bad idea imo.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
You have extraordinarily bad takes on almost every part of this.

The PS Vita was a failure, so the idea that they're now going to turn around and make their entire gaming division go that route while forgoing what made them literally come back from the brink is completely and utterly insane, that's what. Also, the reason the Switch is such a success is because Nintendo had an already carved out piece of the mobile market to start with. That's not the case for playstation.

The VR market is headed wherever it's profitable. Some are going for the standalone form factor. This is not what Sony will do. Last I checked, I'm pretty sure that their machine is the best selling out there, so again, what incentive is there to change that? They can keep PSVR as a cheaper device tied to the horsepower of their main console.

Again, they're not going to leave the mainstream market to Microsoft by not competing with them in the hardware space, and just releasing a "non powerful PS5". The cloud thing is a side business, and not the main selling point that will change the form factor of all their machines going forward. So no, PS Now is not actually a great argument for a non powerful PS5.

"It's always the same, core gamers are adverse to change", but "don't worry, core gamers will support a PS5 hybrid"? This is completely contradictory.

What I mean by "AAA oriented" is that their first party studios are completely geared towards pushing the boundaries in regard to the graphical quality of their games. This has made them a ton of money, and all of the sudden they'll change that? Your previous post was based on the notion that there may be some monetary incentive, in that they might think "a PS5 might sell 80 mil, but a PS5 Switch might sell a ton more". There is literally no factual basis for this idea, and in fact, there is a factual basis for the exact opposite.

I also love how your post is arguing for Sony "going the Switch route", but then steps it all back by saying that it may be a family of devices. Which one is it?

I return the "compliment" when it comes to bad taste. At the end of the day, we're ALL entitled to our opinions.

You keep pointing out at the PS Vita failure as the reason why a HYBRID PS5 would not work. That comparison make no sense whatsoever !!! So if you want to compare things, don't compare apple ( handheld ) to oranges ( hybrid ).

Yes the PS4 is the best selling system, but the PSVR is NOT mainstream. And the PS4 success did not translate into VR success. One of the reason is that in its current form, VR is not consumer friendly : It's expensive as you need the console and the VR unit ; And it's complicated to use as you have plenty of connections to make. Consumers wants something easy to use out of the box. Sony will head that way : standalone !

If the Cloud thing was a side business. You think Sony would have paid 500 million for Gakai ? You think Microsoft and Google would bother investing billions for a "side business", it seems you don't understand the business ramifications of Cloud. But that's ok.

Yes gamers will support a PS5 hybrid. Only gamers on forums we will say "it's the worst thing ever". But then when it goes on sale, they're the first in the lines. Again it's Ok. If gamers can get a device more porweful than the Pro with entertainment ( movies and music included with PS Now for example ), with all the Switch features for 399$. They'll sign up big time !

The fist party studios of Sony will follow what Sony tells them to do. They are Sony's owned last time I checked. When I see what Santa Monica, Guerilla and Naughty God can do with a simple PS4. I have no worries about what they'll do with a more powerful system than a PS4 pro.

Gamers here live in Wonderland. You ALL want a powerful PS5, but you're not ready to pay the price for it. At some point, Sony need to make a call. When the PS3 was out, nobody showed up. And I'm telling the mainstream is NOT ready to pay 500$ for a PS5.

So - in my humble opinion - the ultra total unlimited power PS5 won't happen :
- consumers are not ready for high price ( more thab 500$ )
- components prices are very high ( memories, storage, gpu, etc )
- we're reaching the diminishing law of return in graphics.

My final call : the PS5 will be a 5TF hybrid console selling at 399$ and coming in late 2019. But that's just me.

Deleted member 4970

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where are people getting the idea that it will be another Pro like upgrade? It will 100% have a Ryzen CPU and that alone will be a massive upgrade.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
In regards to the tablet talk, I hope they're looking into remote play with iOS devices. I would've thought this would happen with PS4 but would be dope to simply connect to my playstation while I sync my DualShock to a tablet or phone and play some games while the wife watches tv. I used to do this a lot with the vita and simply want to do it on my phone.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I return the "compliment" when it comes to bad taste. At the end of the day, we're ALL entitled to our opinions.

You keep pointing out at the PS Vita failure as the reason why a HYBRID PS5 would not work. That comparison make no sense whatsoever !!! So if you want to compare things, don't compare apple ( handheld ) to oranges ( hybrid ).

Yes the PS4 is the best selling system, but the PSVR is NOT mainstream. And the PS4 success did not translate into VR success. One of the reason is that in its current form, VR is not consumer friendly : It's expensive as you need the console and the VR unit ; And it's complicated to use as you have plenty of connections to make. Consumers wants something easy to use out of the box. Sony will head that way : standalone !

If the Cloud thing was a side business. You think Sony would have paid 500 million for Gakai ? You think Microsoft and Google would bother investing billions for a "side business", it seems you don't understand the business ramifications of Cloud. But that's ok.

Yes gamers will support a PS5 hybrid. Only gamers on forums we will say "it's the worst thing ever". But then when it goes on sale, they're the first in the lines. Again it's Ok. If gamers can get a device more porweful than the Pro with entertainment ( movies and music included with PS Now for example ), with all the Switch features for 399$. They'll sign up big time !

The fist party studios of Sony will follow what Sony tells them to do. They are Sony's owned last time I checked. When I see what Santa Monica, Guerilla and Naughty God can do with a simple PS4. I have no worries about what they'll do with a more powerful system than a PS4 pro.

Gamers here live in Wonderland. You ALL want a powerful PS5, but you're not ready to pay the price for it. At some point, Sony need to make a call. When the PS3 was out, nobody showed up. And I'm telling the mainstream is NOT ready to pay 500$ for a PS5.

My final call : the PS5 will be a 5TF hybrid console selling at 399$ and coming in late 2019. But that's just me.
I'm sorry, but you are very ill informed, and I regret the time I've wasted on this conversation.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Ironic you say gamers here live in wonderland while you are seriously pushing the idea that PS5 will be a Switch-like hybrid.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Give me asymmetric sticks for the DualShock 5

Also make the controller slightly fatter - DualShock 4 is Sony's best controller but could still use some tweaking. This would make it perfect IMO - also do away with the weird gimmicks that never took off (lightbar and touch pad)

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, yes it is.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The PS4 went from 1.8TF to 4.2TF in 3 years time, while retaining the same price. And that's while staying in the same hardware paradigm. Logically speaking, a 10-12TF machine should be possible by Fall 2019, maybe Fall 2020 at the latest, at 399.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
PS 4 professional professionals edition.

I actually agree with those specs for PS5, be it 2019 or 2020. Ryzen 3000 CPU (Zen 2) with 8 cores. A GPU that is 3x over PS4 Pro and 2x over X1X and 24 GB / 384-bit GDDR6. Hopefully PS5 will support Dolby Vision HDR, not just HDR10.

Good lord dude. That's at least a thousand dollar console.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was anyone really doubting that Sony would release another Playstation? They've done so well with console hardware that they've more or less dominated that market. They've got a fairly easy follow-up strategy given how much of this gen has focused on a transition to digital content and services. It would have been mad to ditch the idea of new Playstation hardware.

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just hope Microsoft & Sony are developing next gen to have upgradable components

Obviously they'd end up being proprietary so they could continue to make money on them but they really need to future proof their next systems - we shouldn't have an X1 or PS Pro midway thru the cycle