• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
More from the Financial Times link: https://www.ft.com/content/25f9a068-c898-11e8-ba8f-ee390057b8c9?list=intlhomepage

At this point, what I can say is it's necessary to have a next-generation hardware," said Kenichiro Yoshida, in an interview with the Financial Times. He declined to formally name Sony's future console the "PlayStation 5".

Rumours:
There have been industry rumours that Sony might be planning a tablet that would connect to multiple devices as online streaming of games becomes more widespread and the company seeks to derive ever greater synergies between its games and movie divisions.

eSports
Sony has also been slow to embrace the surging potential for esports, a market based around a global audience estimated at 167m that watch online streams of professionals playing games at the highest level.

Industry analysts believe that Sony will be keen to rectify that through its next console, by ensuring that its machines are deemed powerful enough to host top level esport events.

Sony Interactive Entertainment, the division responsible for PlayStation, said it was considering various options to strengthen its position in esports, which it sees as an effective way to encourage users to play a game for a longer period of time and to enhance the social role of games.

Could be similar to PS4:
People in the games publishing industry with knowledge of Sony's plans for a future console said that early indications were that it might not represent a major departure from the PS4, and that the fundamental architecture would be similar.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I am not enthused by what Sony has been doing in the marketplace from the middle of this generation on, and the last time they acted so arrogant and launched a system, it was pretty rough. I can't imagine their current strong anti-consumer philosophy is going to allow for a truly must-own piece of hardware for next-gen. But I can't say I'm surprised they are planning bringing new hardware to the market.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I am not enthused by what Sony has been doing in the marketplace from the middle of this generation on, and the last time they acted so arrogant and launched a system, it was pretty rough. I can't imagine their current strong anti-consumer philosophy is going to allow for a truly must-own piece of hardware.
Anti-consumer philosophy in what way?

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
I am not enthused by what Sony has been doing in the marketplace from the middle of this generation on, and the last time they acted so arrogant and launched a system, it was pretty rough. I can't imagine their current strong anti-consumer philosophy is going to allow for a truly must-own piece of hardware for next-gen. But I can't say I'm surprised they are planning bringing new hardware to the market.
My man, ima need you to elaborate.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Whatchu talking about?

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

What are you on about?

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Anti-consumer philosophy in what way?

Staunch anti-crossplay philosophy until overwhelming media pressure, horrible policy on BC and inciteful and tone deaf responses to genuine consumer demand, horrid infrastructure, customer service, and design for the PlayStation store and online purchases in general, lack of 4K Blu-ray on even high-end releases on the system, etc, etc.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Staunch anti-crossplay philosophy until overwhelming media pressure, horrible policy on BC and inciteful and tone deaf responses to genuine consumer demand, horrid infrastructure and design for the PlayStation store, lack of 4K Blu-ray on even high-end releases on the system, etc, etc.

Half of that is not anti-consumer unless anti-consumer means i don't like what they doing lol.

Mar 17, 2018
This arrogant meme is tiring and mostly baseles outside of random things that affect most companies.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Staunch anti-crossplay philosophy until overwhelming media pressure, horrible policy on BC and inciteful and tone deaf responses to genuine consumer demand, horrid infrastructure and design for the PlayStation store, lack of 4K Blu-ray on even high-end releases on the system, etc, etc.
That's a whole lot of hyperbole to attempt to make a couple of big nothing situations sound like the worst thing in the world.

How is not offering 4K blu ray anti-consumer? Their infrastructure is hardly "horrid". "Inciteful and tone deaf responses to genuine consumer demand"? What does that even mean? And you can't dredge up something as an example of anti-consumerism, and them wave away the fact that they're currently working to change that. Not to mention that the media pressure was hardly overwhelming. More like whelming.

He is probably talking about some of the terrible marketing deals and 1 year timed exclusive games garbage. Which is something i full agree with.
How is that anti-consumer? Do you understand that Sony isn't responsible for every consumer on the market? In fact, you could say those marketing deals are pro-consumer, as long as you're a consumer of Sony products.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
We knew the PS5 was a cert. I'm still saying 2020, but it's exciting to get to a stage where the rumors are hitting. Hoping for full BC with PS4 software.

Staunch anti-crossplay philosophy until overwhelming media pressure, horrible policy on BC and inciteful and tone deaf responses to genuine consumer demand, horrid infrastructure, customer service, and design for the PlayStation store, lack of 4K Blu-ray on even high-end releases on the system, etc, etc.

Some of those are just pure business choices and others, such as the design of the Playsation store, are personal preference. None however would be classed as anti-consumer in any way.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
He is probably talking about some of the terrible marketing deals and 1 year timed exclusive games garbage. Which is something i full agree with.
Microsoft does the same thing. It's been a thing for a long ass time.

It's business, they want people to buy that game whatever it maybe on their system.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
I really hope the PS5 is just a more powerful PS4.

Anything more on this "streaming tablet"? First I've heard of it.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was always going to be an iteration going forward. There is no way they can keep doing generational leaps and keep the price down.

I am happy that architecturally wise it is going to be similar to PS4 as that will enable 'easy' backwards compatibility and true 4K30 if not 60fps.

Animagne

Oct 27, 2017
Staunch anti-crossplay philosophy until overwhelming media pressure, horrible policy on BC and inciteful and tone deaf responses to genuine consumer demand, horrid infrastructure, customer service, and design for the PlayStation store and online purchases in general, lack of 4K Blu-ray on even high-end releases on the system, etc, etc.
BC is good on Xbox because their engineers are competent and they lost at the start of this generation badly, so they put all their efforts in somewhat catching up. I don't think it would have been this generous otherwise. Nintendo is still worse than Sony on most of these issues.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lol anti-consumer you say?... i'll bite, how?

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

As a ps4 player..I feel very satisfied this gen.

What you said indicates you are never a ps4 player. At least from all the words "anti-consumer, arrogant..."

Why hating Sony so much? Because you don't own the console, and all the benefits are hurting you? Maybe. Or because you don't want see how Sony changes because you wish it keeps being "anti-consumer, arrogant"?

Last edited:

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would not call Sony's attitude to consumers wanting BC or crossplay to be genuinely thoughtful, well reasoned, or fair in light of what Microsoft is doing.
MS had to do something to turn the ship around after the start of this generation, that is why they poured a lot into BC. I would expect the PS5 to have at the very least PS4 BC, and possibly PS1 and 2.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
really don't care about cloud game streaming shit, hope sony doesn't spend too many resources on that

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
We knew the PS5 was a cert. I'm still saying 2020, but it's exciting to get to a stage where the rumors are hitting. Hoping for full BC with PS4 software.

Some of those are just pure business choices and others, such as the design of the Playsation store, are personal preference. None however would be classed as anti-consumer in any way.

Not being able to carry over digital purchases or use an accumulated software library from 1995 onwards is pretty anti consumer if you ask me. Having your personal purchases and account disabled in Fortnight for any amount of time seems pretty anti consumer. Return policy and customer service compared to direct competitors is not really a business decision.

Mona-chan

Oct 31, 2017
I would not call Sony's attitude to consumers wanting BC or crossplay to be genuinely thoughtful, well reasoned, or fair in light of what Microsoft is doing.
Yes, BC is terrible right now - however that will change with GaaS and digital purchases carrying forward to PS5 now.

They've already caved in on crossplay. What more do you want?

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Getting into esports is interesting but doubtful considering their past failures and single player specialization across first party.

That is unless they plan to simply moneyhat games like Street Fighter again and go for marketing rights on every competitive game they can get.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
The hardware just isn't out there to make a siginificant leap from PS4 Pro/XB1X GPU performance for the same price. If the rumors about Navi targeting Vega 64 performance on a $250 chip has any merit than maybe we might see an SoC with a Ryzen based CPU with that GPU (or the Vega 56 equivalent silicon), but the most RAM I see this time around is 16GB.

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the biggest jump in power next gen will be with the CPU. We'll probably be able to hit native 4K on games that are currently checkerboard rendered, but anything beyond that is wishful thinking. We really have hit diminishing returns.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Well this thread got rather badly derailed already. :(

The confirmation of new hardware was expected, but it is exciting that they are beginning to talk about it.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Getting into esports is interesting but doubtful considering their past failures and single player specialization across first party.

That is unless they plan to simply moneyhat games like Street Fighter again and go for marketing rights on every competitive game they can get.

Well they got GTS but that not big .
Still they might make a big push with people they hired for GG .