• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who do you think will win?

• I think the FTC will win

Votes: 812 33.8%
  • I think Microsoft will win

Votes: 1,587 66.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
www.ftc.gov

FTC Seeks to Block Microsoft Corp.’s Acquisition of Activision Blizzard, Inc.

The Federal Trade Commission is seeking to block technology giant Microsoft Corp. from acquiring leading video game developer Activision Blizzard, Inc.

The Federal Trade Commission is seeking to block technology giant Microsoft Corp. from acquiring leading video game developer Activision Blizzard, Inc. and its blockbuster gaming franchises such as Call of Duty, alleging that the $69 billion deal, Microsoft's largest ever and the largest ever in the video gaming industry, would enable Microsoft to suppress competitors to its Xbox gaming consoles and its rapidly growing subscription content and cloud-gaming business.

In a complaint issued today, the FTC pointed to Microsoft's record of acquiring and using valuable gaming content to suppress competition from rival consoles, including its acquisition of ZeniMax, parent company of Bethesda Softworks (a well-known game developer). Microsoft decided to make several of Bethesda's titles including Starfield and Redfall Microsoft exclusives despite assurances it had given to European antitrust authorities that it had no incentive to withhold games from rival consoles.

"Microsoft has already shown that it can and will withhold content from its gaming rivals," said Holly Vedova, Director of the FTC's Bureau of Competition. "Today we seek to stop Microsoft from gaining control over a leading independent game studio and using it to harm competition in multiple dynamic and fast-growing gaming markets."

Guess those 10 year commitments weren't enough.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I do not expect this to actually stop the acquisition, only delay it.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's insane that COD apparently has this much power. Because let's be honest. That is the main point of contention.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Specifically high performance gaming consoles?

Nintendo has done fine without it.

And they offered/committed to Sony too I thought.

The verbiage sounds at odds with recent PR.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Neat Khan actually got 3 votes, it seemed like it was destined for a 2-2 tie.

Not at all surprised that Starfield and Redfall are being effectively called out here as a significant factor. The Minecraft comparisons never resonated when they aren't following that standard with their other acquisitions.

Last edited:

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Good. I doubt this will hold, but all major company acquisitions, especially ones getting groups valuing $5B+, should be analyzed with a fucking magnifying glass. I wish the Bungie buy would have gotten this scrutiny too but ABK is such a monumentally bigger fish there's no way they should be allowed to get scooped up.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, there it is, as expected. Will certainly be a roller coaster from all sides now.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft decided to make several of Bethesda's titles including Starfield and Redfall Microsoft exclusives despite assurances it had given to European antitrust authorities that it had no incentive to withhold games from rival consoles.

"Microsoft has already shown that it can and will withhold content from its gaming rivals," said Holly Vedova, Director of the FTC's Bureau of Competition.

GnQEPql.jpg

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Microsoft seemed to have expected this to be the the outcome from earlier reports, being ready to defend it when the FTC lawsuit was rumored.
So will be interesting to see the ending to this whole debacle, another couple months to possibly a year or more of news headlines between ActiBlizz, MS and Sony with Nintendo being caught in the middle possibly even though they have tried to avoid involvement besides the COD agreement

Fady

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
This is promising. I'd rather none of the big three buy out publishers left and right. Personally wasn't a fan of Bethesda being bought either.

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
I dont like Sony nor Microsoft. But I hope Microsoft wins this. Pains me to say that..

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the deal still ends up going through. I'd rather play those games on game pass.

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
Specifically high performance gaming consoles?

Nintendo has done fine without it.

And they offered/committed to Sony too I thought.

The verbiage sounds at odds with recent PR.
To be fair the agreements have only specifically been about COD, but this post doesn't single out COD and instead only mentions it along with the other Activision Blizzard IPs. The FTC don't seem to think COD is "special" (in the context of Activision Blizzard IPs) in the same way as has been being discussed earlier.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
User Warned: Platform Warring
Man I don't see the issue? MS can screw up COD just like they screwed up Halo. So is not a guaranteed that it'll work out for MS

Dsezer

Sep 22, 2020
This makes sense. Hopefully they win, similar to what happened with Bethesda, Microsoft would eventually make heavy hitters exclusive.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
The FTC, regulators in general, should be way more skeptical of mergers than they typically have been.

I don't buy the "cod is too big" argument though.

AEF1907

Dec 18, 2021
Microsoft decided to make several of Bethesda's titles including Starfield and Redfall Microsoft exclusives despite assurances it had given to European antitrust authorities that it had no incentive to withhold games from rival consoles.

🧐

Status
Not open for further replies.