• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've reported the last few pages to the mods, and admitted I got a little carried away. They'll be the judge.

Hey I can relate, everybody can lose their cool from time to time. I don't even disagree with you that there's a line between getting rid of vermin and joyful destruction. Just saying that you probably should stop replying in that way, because it can get you in trouble.

Nov 5, 2017
Hey I can relate, everybody can lose their cool from time to time. I don't even disagree with you that there's a line between getting rid of vermin and joyful destruction. Just saying that you probably should stop replying in that way, because it can get you in trouble.
That's cool. I could have handled it a lot better, that's true. Just that it can be difficult when someone like sleepInsom insults someone earlier, then accuses every post of mine to be an insult. More than happy to debate rationally and with civility, but people like that who can't argue the points and play the man (using PMs I might add) are better off on my ignore list.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A rodent shitted on my chest while I slept at the age of eleven.

Fuck those shitheads

I put a bunch of old video game related stuff in a storage many many years ago when I went away to college. When I came back, rats had gotten in.

They ate the fingers off my power glove. I had a boxed, mint power glove for the NES. They chewed through the box, pissed and shit on the fabric, and ate the fingers. One even died in the box.

*shudder*

Nov 5, 2017
At the end of the day, they're just being animals. Following their instincts. They have no malice or ill-will to people, yet it's these kind of grievances that leads people to do stuff like this.

Some people say it's for revenge, teaching them a lesson, it's war, etc. It's ridiculous. They're animals. They don't understand they're being a nuisance.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the day, they're just being animals. Following their instincts. They have no malice or ill-will to people, yet it's these kind of grievances that leads people to do stuff like this.

Some people say it's for revenge, teaching them a lesson, it's war, etc. It's ridiculous. They're animals. They don't understand they're being a nuisance.

Similarly, it is human instinct to rid their nesting places of vermin and disease ridden pests. Many animals, in fact.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Please stay somewhat on topic, and avoid getting into a shouting match of insults.

Nov 5, 2017
Similarly, it is human instinct to rid their nesting places of vermin and disease ridden pests. Many animals, in fact.
Yes, you're right. However, we're human beings, not simplistic animals. We've cognitive abilities far beyond that of animals, which means we can rise above our base animalistic instincts. It's why we don't throw poo at eachother, or take a dump in a middle of a shopping mall store.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, you're right. However, we're human beings, not simplistic animals. We've cognitive abilities far beyond that of animals, which means we can rise above our base animalistic instincts. It's why we don't throw poo at eachother, or take a dump in a middle of a shopping mall store.

Actually, throwing poo isn't a human instinct, and many animal instincts are to hold defecation in and go in designated spots. So our use of restrooms is actually pretty instinctual. It's the same reason a dog won't pee or poop where they sleep. Even among feral children this behavior has been observed.

Nov 5, 2017
Actually, throwing poo isn't a human instinct, and many animal instincts are to hold defecation in and go in designated spots. So our use of restrooms is actually pretty instinctual. It's the same reason a dog won't pee or poop where they sleep. Even among feral children this behavior has been observed.
Monkeys will throw their faeces at each other when they're bored. The example was meant to illustrate that we don't do things that other animals do naturally without a second thought. A "designated spot" for an animal might not be very optimal, whereas we created bathrooms with the knowledge that shit isn't particularly healthy out in the open where people gather.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Monkeys will throw their faeces at each other when they're bored.

We are not monkeys. And not all primates do that.

A "designated spot" for an animal might not be very optimal, whereas we created bathrooms with the knowledge that shit isn't particularly healthy out in the open where people gather.

We were shitting in designated spots (which eventually became bathrooms) way, way before we understood that shit wasn't healthy. We did it by instinct, because those who did not tended to die.

Dec 7, 2017
We have a lot of mice in the upper levels of the house where I live. I live at ground level, and they haven't invaded the place yet.
Out of respect for their lives (they're vegans) the girls who live in the upper levels haven't done much, tried some traps that let the mice live which didn't work.
I only sometimes hear the mice crawling in the walls or the garden, but they can't come in (yet). If they ever do, I'll try as much I can to kill them.

Had an ant problem for some weeks in the summer. Pests like these just suck...

Nov 5, 2017
We are not monkeys. And not all primates do that.

We were shitting in designated spots (which eventually became bathrooms) way, way before we understood that shit wasn't healthy. We did it by instinct, because those who did not tended to die.
Doesn't matter if we're not monkeys. The point I'm making is that humans can rise above their instincts, which is what separates us from animals. Which has allowed us to progress this far. Sadly, moral progression is lagging behind... some parts of the world still stone people or burn them as witches. We're not perfect but I'd like to think we're improving, even if that means small steps like being kinder to animals.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't matter if we're not monkeys. The point I'm making is that humans can rise above their instincts, which is what separates us from animals. Which has allowed us to progress this far. Sadly, moral progression is lagging behind... some parts of the world still stone people or burn them as witches. We're not perfect but I'd like to think we're improving, even if that means small steps like being kinder to animals.

Your point was poorly formed because your example of rising above instict is an instict we do not have. In your example, we are not rising against instict.

Further, there are examples where humans do not rise above instict every single day. And there are tangible health benefits to bowing to this particular instict.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I mean, we do treat animals a LOT kinder than other animals treat animals.

Nov 5, 2017
Your point was poorly formed because your example of rising above instict is an instict we do not have. In your example, we are not rising against instict.

Further, there are examples where humans do not rise above instict every single day. And there are tangible health benefits to bowing to this particular instict.
You are nitpicking here. The example was to illustrate that human beings aren't collectively on the level of monkeys. And last I checked, going when nature calls is an instinctual act. We're just smart enough to manage it better.

Unless you are talking about the extremely rare and unusual cases where very young children are adopted by wild animals, then a human being can't really function in today's world if they can't rise above their base instincts. Making clothes, making fires, making weapons to hunt... this requires a level of cognitive thinking that's above the instincts of, say, a leopard. Humans are comparatively smarter than a lot of other animals. If you have a point, please make it.

Preezy

User banned at own request
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Snake Mountain
I am absolutely furious.

I just found two that trapped themselves in a trash can in my 18 month old son's bedroom.

I've called the exterminators. They've been coming here for a while costing me $70 a month.

I'm done being humane to these things. Done. Tomorrow I get fucking medieval. I'm making 5 of these bucket drowner traps and putting them strategically around my house inside and out.

Maybe you all can commiserate with me and tell me of your pest woes and how you went after 'em with the fury and fire of hell itself.
Buy a cat to catch the mice. Then buy a dog to catch the cat. Then buy a lion to catch the dog. Then buy a Donald Trump Jr to catch the lion. Then just shoot Donald Trump Jr.

You're welcome.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I sorta skimmed through the thread real quick, but does like using a trap that just snaps on them immediately torture the mouse too? I don't really know cause they are usually dead when I pick one from those types of traps, so I've always assumed it immediately dies.

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sorta skimmed through the thread real quick, but does like using a trap that just snaps on them immediately torture the mouse too? I don't really know cause they are usually dead when I pick one from those types of traps, so I've always assumed it immediately dies.

Depending on how it's caught, they can still be alive but that's pretty rare. The glue traps are the worst, but sadly they're also more effective than the snaps.

Oct 25, 2017

They're designed to break their neck or back instantly killing them, but obviously that doesn't always work out. Sometimes it'll just break a bone and they'll just slowly bleed out or something. They probably work as intended more often than not though.

Evil Calvin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Louis
I used to use the no-kill traps but they never seemed to go into them (sometimes I would forget to check. I then used glue traps but realized that;s waaaaay too inhumane as it's a long slow death. I unfortunately had to resort to the snap traps. That has worked but I have to put new ones out now and then with a little cheese in them. If you don;t keep at it they will multiply. I feel bad when I see one dead on the trap but I look away and put them in a trash bag. So sad but....what can you do. Don't call an exterminator. Just use traps.

Nov 5, 2017
Assuming it works properly, the neck is severed and the animal dies pretty much instantly.

Evil Calvin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Louis

Snap traps are the quickest, most effective way but I have had a few drag the trap across the basement floor. Felt really bad about that. But they are much quicker than the glue traps. They struggle on those until they starve to death or have a heart attack.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I mean, we do treat animals a LOT kinder than other animals treat animals.
That's a bit like saying that racism in Europe or the US is OK because it's not as bad as it was in the middle ages.

The minimum expectation of any human who is not an asshole is to act with compassion and to not engage in unnecessary/purposeful cruelty towards every living thing.
Conversely, animals don't have a moral framework by which to guide their actions.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
That's a bit like saying that racism in Europe or the US is OK because it's not as bad as it was in the middle ages.

The minimum expectation of any human who is not an asshole is to act with compassion and to not engage in unnecessary/purposeful cruelty towards every living thing.
Conversely, animals don't have a moral framework by which to guide their actions.
I am not nor do I think anyone should equate or compare racism and animal cruelty. lol

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I am not nor do I think anyone should equate or compare racism and animal cruelty. lol
I didn't equate them, I provided a comparison to illustrate why your remark doesn't make sense.

That said, in my book, racists are fuckheads and people who purposefully engage in animal cruelty are also fuckheads.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's had pet mice and rats over the years... As long as you kill vermin relatively fast, that's all i ask. These things can carry pathogens deadly to Homan and especially small children on to of the usual nuisance behavior... But they don't deserve to be tormented or tortured.

Humans share 90% of their DNA with these tiny furry assholes and they do feel pain and can suffer and it's just gross to intentionally inflict just to make anyone feel better about themselves.

That said, the world isn't going to miss a few hundred rodents. Snakes won't go hungry, neither will hawks and in the end of the day if they can harm you or your family and relocation isn't an option, you do what you need to do.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I didn't equate them, I provided a comparison to illustrate why your remark doesn't make sense.

That said, in my book, racists are fuckheads and people who purposefully engage in animal cruelty are also fuckheads.
Like I said, I still fail to see how in the hell you could compare the two or what your point was RE my original point that humans do treat animals better than other animals treat their prey (But i think your general point is "That's bad but thats bad too" which.... yeah i guess is hard to argue) but whatever. This is a dark path I'm not going down in this thread about mice.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I just went outside to pee, and went through the garage. Upon opening the door, I heard something in the far corner and knew what it was. When I got closer to that area, I saw one dart across from behind our wood stove in the corner, near where I heard the sound.

I would let my cat out there now, but it's freezing and I plan to go to sleep. Maybe tomorrow. Or we'll just put traps out to try to catch all of the little bastards. There's good cat food out there in a bag, so I put it up on the work bench, and there's also stray cat food, bird seed and deer feed in tubs. They chewed through one last year.

Keyboard

Wow guy has a lot of videos of mouse traps and scavengers eating dead rodents. Not for the people who can't stomach brutality.

Scavengers really showcase how violent nature is.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I just use the cases where they go in after you've put a bit of food in and then step on the lever which closes the door and then you release them somewhere further away. No need for killing or torturing for a mouse just being a mouse.

I do similar with spiders, moths and so forth where I put a glass over them slide a piece of card underneath being careful of their legs and release them outside.

OP
OP
mentallyinept

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Update:

I finally fucking got one in my traps!

Only took what... 6 weeks?

Wasn't really worth it at this point... but the taste of victory against one of these bastards is sweet.

Nov 5, 2017
Yet in those six weeks you could have used other traps, or solved the damn problem in the first place by finding out where they're coming from and sealing it.

What were those exterminators even doing? Any casual joe can plonk down those grotesque glue torture cards and call it a day's work. Did they happen to be these guys?
rWFRufZUOcPrwxvJHJUREErKp5R.jpg

Last edited:

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
My cat just caught another in the garage. He went out with me when I went to get a bottle of water, then didn't want to come back in. I opened the door just now to let him in, and he came in carrying it in his mouth. Thankfully he didn't let go and I was able to carry him and the mouse back out to the garage without incident.

Red_

Oct 26, 2017
I had mice, killed 6, didn't see any for a week and then killed 2 more. All using traps, which don't cut them in half, but but kill them instantly, and I haven't had mice in weeks now. Mice are bullshit, and not worth the effort to try and save plain and simple. They're rodents, and they ruin your home, get rid of them asap, I just used conventional plastic traps and I've been fine now and I live right on the edge of a giant walking park area.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I've had success with the no-kill traps. Walk them a few blocks away and dump them in some ivy or whatever. One time I forgot about the trap for a few days and it had caught a mouse that had died by the time I checked it.

Sometimes they kill themselves thrashing around in an attempt to get out, so it makes you question whether it's more human than traps that kill them instantly.

At the current place I live we had exactly 3 mice over the course of about a week when it was snowing. Roommate's cat caught all 3. Thing is that cats basically torture the mice and it's not a quick death.... I had to finish the job all 3 times by putting them in a bag and stomping. We may feel less responsible, but it's not exactly free of suffering when a cat does the job.