• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
So I have been stewing on making a thread about this topic for awhile now and I decided to bite the bullet. I'm of the opinion that the internet conspiracy outage cycle has damaged the way we're allowed to discuss contentious films online. If a film becomes politicized enough, good faith criticisms get drowned in a sea of alt-right bullshittery. Its hard to have a discussion about films such as The Last Jedi, Captain Marvel, and the upcoming The Rise of Skywalker because discussing the text became secondary to "Rose Tico and Holdo raped my childhood/Brie Larson is a misandrist/mary sues' etc

For those who are unaware, The Fandom Menace are a group of youtubers who have made a niche for themselves complaining about social justice, political correctness, and forced diversity being shoved into popular movies. Whats especially problematic is that they act as "fans" that are being mistreated and post content titled shit like "Fans vs Disney: A Star Wars Story". They dress up their reactionary diatribes as reviews. They discuss the movie through their political lens of it being sjw or not They complain about women being seen as powerful and or equal to in positions of power to men. They whine about politics being shoved down their throat while also complaining when a movie does not conform to their particular worldview. They also use unrelated movies as a cudgel against "sjw" movies. The obvious example of this was when they promoted Alita as a non sjw alternative to Captain Marvel. Nothing in Alita actually aligns with this reactionary shit. Hell, box office numbers show they probably never even saw Alita.

This kind of content can get a ton of views. We have all gotten recommended that "The Last Jedi is a cinematic failure" video where the creator refers to Kelly Marie Tran as "the yellow bitch" and other garbage like this because the youtube algorithm promotes this content. It ends up intersecting with toxic fandom entitlement and it leads to people getting radicalized by this bile and sharing it elsewhere. You see people talk about female characters under the lens of "are they a mary sure or not" when they'd never have this discussion over male characters.

Before you respond "just ignore it, none of it really matters, movies aren't political", movies do not exist in fucking vacuum and all art is political. Their place in history of its release and the reaction to it are all relevant. Making something apolitical or wanting things to be apolitical is actually a reflection of your own worldview. The representation in Black Panther is a key element to the popularity of the film and why it was such a landmark and box office sensation. Dismissing it as "politics" does a disservice to anything you you intended to discuss about the film.

/rant

Last edited:

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
you mean TLJ isn't a cinematic failure?

EDIT: nvm you covered this lol

but yea, the sexist stuff is trash and needs to disappear

and how come nobody on either side gave a shit about annihilation, i'd rather people argue over that than the latest disney cape flick

OP
OP
jack_package_200
Oct 25, 2017
you mean TLJ isn't a cinematic failure?

EDIT: nvm you covered this lol

but yea, the sexist stuff is trash and needs to disappear

and how come nobody on either side gave a shit about annihilation, i'd rather people argue over that than the latest disney cape flick
Because it isn't a major with wide appeal.

It won't get ya clicks.

Deleted member 35217

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Not my types of movies and can't imagine trying to discuss them online with such ludicrous fan culture.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
what is with the trend of these people making their video's thumbnail an edited picture of a female character's face

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I just try to ignore this, but it's hard when you sometimes have opinions about pop culture that happen to align with the dumb alt-right bullshit. Usually I'm feeling those things for very different reasons than they do, but it still sucks and I feel like shit for it.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Small point of order: they're just the alt-right. Don't allow them to rebrand themselves into some cutesy political movement that's Actually About Ethics in Star Wars or whatever. There is no "fandom menace." It's just the same extreme right-wing reactionary dipshits who have been dominating online entertainment discussion for at least a decade. Don't let them think they're special.

OP
OP
jack_package_200
Oct 25, 2017
I just try to ignore this, but it's hard when you sometimes have opinions about pop culture that happen to align with the dumb alt-right bullshit. Usually I'm feeling those things for very different reasons than they do, but it still sucks and I feel like shit for it.
Its what I have heard described as "Man covered in shit" problem where you express an opinion and a man covered in shit puts his arm around your shoulder and says "I agree with this person." You then are stuck having to distance yourself from that person rather than discuss the thing you wanted to discuss.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Fandom Menace is the worst of the prequels IMO.

Edit: Oh I thought I was making a clever joke....

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This kind of content can get a ton of news. We have all gotten recommended that "The Last Jedi is a cinematic failure" video where the creator refers to Kelly Marie Tran as "the yellow bitch" and other garbage like this because the youtube algorithm promotes this content.
You know, I assumed by the thumbnail the video was bad, but not anything more than diet racist.

Guess I was wrong. Nice to see Youtube recommending content straight from the 19th century.
And how come nobody on either side gave a shit about annihilation, i'd rather people argue over that than the latest disney cape flick
I'll argue over Annihilation, it's fucking awesome and one of the most gorgeous science fiction movies ever made.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
qOBq5MO.gif

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
You know, I assumed by the thumbnail the video was bad, but not anything more than diet racist.

Guess I was wrong. Nice to see Youtube recommending content straight from the 19th century.

What I find strange or even weird about that video is:

- I feel like it was uploaded on two accounts to max view count as I have blocked that channel but yet still shows up

- the thumbnail use to be Holdo and now it's rose tricking people to think it's a new video but it's the same one as before

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

- I feel like it was uploaded on two accounts to max view count as I have blocked that channel but yet still shows up

- the thumbnail use to be Holdo and now it's rose tricking people to think it's a new video but it's the same one as before
Youtube has a weird thing where videos with new thumbnails pop up in recommendations again as if they're new videos. It's annoying even when it's content I actually enjoy like Dragonball Z Abridged, let alone a shitty bigoted whinefest.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All you have to do is look to the Captain Marvel "GET WOKE GO BROKE" video barrage that happened in the lead-up to that movie's release to see how full of shit these people are. They all predicted Captain Marvel would tank at the box office due to their perceived slights and lo-and-behold, it turns out their shitty garbage human bubble really was just an insignificant bubble. But hey, they got enough clicks from fellow incels and garbage humans to keep that grift going.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
what is with the trend of these people making their video's thumbnail an edited picture of a female character's face
You know EXACTLY why they do that.

All you have to do is look to the Captain Marvel "GET WOKE GO BROKE" video barrage that happened in the lead-up to that movie's release to see how full of shit these people are. They all predicted Captain Marvel would tank at the box office due to their perceived slights and lo-and-behold, it turns out their shitty garbage human bubble really was just an insignificant bubble.
You know what's crazy is that these people have genuinely convinced people that the ST has been anything BUT a financial and critical success. Like hell you even see some of that shit reiterated verbatim by some people here.

If you blocked it using video blocker that extension no longer works. Still looking for an alternative. :/

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I'm old enough not to give a shit about YouTubers. Call me an old man but just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you should broadcast it without journalistic training.

*looks at post history*
:(

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
All you have to do is look to the Captain Marvel "GET WOKE GO BROKE" video barrage that happened in the lead-up to that movie's release to see how full of shit these people are. They all predicted Captain Marvel would tank at the box office due to their perceived slights and lo-and-behold, it turns out their shitty garbage human bubble really was just an insignificant bubble. But hey, they got enough clicks from fellow incels and garbage humans to keep that grift going.

You still can't search Captain Marvel or Brie Larson without being inundated with an avalanche of that bullshit.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like the new Terminator is in their crosshairs for some reason (haven't been following the film)

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
It's a pain in the arse, you can't have an honest discussion about most stuff now. If you happen to not like the same movie the grifters don't then you're viewed with suspicion from the outset.

I get it, it's the internet it's easier to assume sometime is a shit head than waste time trying to find out for sure. I do it too without thinking.

But it fucking sucks.

OP
OP
jack_package_200
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like the new Terminator is in their crosshairs for some reason (haven't been following the film)
Movie features strong women as the leads

Spoilers for Dark Fate:

John Conner dies in the first few minutes of the movie and in the new apocalypse timeline the revolutionary leader of the resistance is a woman of color

Movie also has a pretty negative portrayal of ICE/Border patrol

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Movie features strong women as the leads

Spoilers for Dark Fate:

John Conner dies in the first few minutes of the movie and in the new apocalypse timeline the revolutionary leader of the resistance is a woman of color

Movie also has a pretty negative portrayal of ICE/Border patrol
Yeah that'll do it

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
i hope they're doing this to get paid, cuz if they actually care this much about it, jesus
They love to call out smaller youtubers who have been around longer than they have because they get less views when their entire schtick is clickbait and posting as many videos as they can in one day.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
They are bunch of hypocrites too they claim that they should be allowed not to like something, but then attack people who like the things they don't like.

How many videos did that one channel that has been mentioned already made about Brie Larson alone it's non stop complaining and negativity.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
What gets me most too is how they largely regurgitate the same fucking talking points and buzzwords over and over again.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I really wish my friend didn't fall into this stuff. He posted a G&G podcast last year where a guy who claimed to have LucasFilm inside info claimed TLJ was made from stolen fan fiction and that he was going to "get it notarized" so they could catch Rian red handed.

i hope they're doing this to get paid, cuz if they actually care this much about it, jesus
Bit of column A, bit of column B

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
If you blocked it using video blocker that extension no longer works. Still looking for an alternative. :/

It doesn't? That would explain why grace whatever from beyond the trailer shows up in my searches despite me blocking her

Protip to you guys, downloaded a plugin that disables YouTube recommendations which helps really cuts down on this

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Geeks & Gamers' a straight MAGA grifter who chases whatever will get them the most views. The main figure of the channel - Jeremy - even liked TLJ, and only began disliking it when he saw how people like MauLer* were raking in the views with lazy 5+ hour long garbage.

*Who's also a clout-chasing grifter who makes videos based on what he thinks the new big nerd discussion topic is, along with making just the worst content imaginable that doesn't respect your time, along with being an alt-right chud who has a "podcast" that's just him and his friends basically just attacking other creators who post opinions they disagree with and try to present their observations as 'objective'

OP
OP
jack_package_200
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish my friend didn't fall into this stuff. He posted a G&G podcast last year where a guy who claimed to have LucasFilm inside info claimed TLJ was made from stolen fan fiction and that he was going to "get it notarized" so they could catch Rian red handed.
I have a coworker who fell down the rabbithole. He even like The Last Jedi when it came out.

He unironically says Ruin Johnson.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I can't find the video now but Noam Chomsky once explained what the alt-right are. He compared it other movements in the past.

But he said it's basically the latest thing created to stop the progressive movement and reinforce the old school white male patriarchy, that's been around forever.

I think I'm remembering that right.

Teuthex

May 31, 2019

I am sure a friend of mine who was close to being radicalised got his first real push in that direction due to these shitheads and their outrage videos. I know he hated the movie and the timeline lines up right.

The situation for non-reactionary critical takes on TLJ is so dire on YouTube, that the following is probably my favourite discussion on some of what isn't great about TLJ, and it's an off-topic video from a D&D advice channel!!!

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I got recommend a Mr H Reviews the other day, at first I thought, okay these are valid points and then he starts bringing up the topic of women, and I was,

"Oh god, this is a Gabe conversation channel isn't it?!"

Then I look at other videos and it's clear this guy is a douchebag who sprinkles in an alt right agenda into his reviews where if you are a Gabe you may get converted.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Agreed, right wing reactionaries have poisoned online conversation about Star Wars and Marvel. Even on Era, noted left wing bubble for tender snowflakes who QUIVER in the face of opposing worldviews and prize feelings over facts (lol), you can't escape the stupid alt-right talking points.

Oct 27, 2017
This is embarrassing. I am actually embarrassed for Humanity.
Agreed, right wing reactionaries have poisoned online conversation about Star Wars and Marvel. Even on Era, noted left wing bubble for tender snowflakes who QUIVER in the face of opposing worldviews and prize feelings over facts (lol), you can't escape the stupid alt-right talking points.
I mean I have some sympathy for Scorsese's view that MCU isn't cinema and now that aligns me with these Jackoffs?

Also I sometimes feel that people stick up for bad or average movies because the Alt-Right have politicized them and then we get "It made X amount of money it can't be bad"; but Titanic made X amount of money and that's awful, people have been going to Cats on Broadway for 40 years and that's awful, I mean people like Nickelback... I could go on. You like what you like I guess but we shouldn't champion mediocrity to spite these fuckers either.

Basically the Alt-Right have ruined popular culture and the discourse around it and it was bad enough to begin with. We should ignore them.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Pretty amazing that YT continues to recommend a video that refers to Rose as "that Asian bitch", which is sitting at over a million views